Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fuctifino posted:

I propose a celebrity deathmatch form of politics: There are 650 MPs, but only 427 physical seats in the House of Commons chamber. So we arm them each MP with a ceremonial mace, and we let them fight it out. The winners will be those who have successfully retained a physical seat while also retaining their life.

It would make politics much more interesting

It would be funnier to have Black Rod announcing "When the national anthem stops..."

Rose Hanbury was 25 when she married the Marquis of Boute-Sexe, by the way, not 19. He is 24 years her senior though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Starbucks posted:

In a decently insulated house air conditioning heats a room up faster than a radiator, and provides cooling in the summer. Our obsession with radiators is crap.

Also frees up wall space for putting things against. Love my floor/ceiling vents.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Read the other day that May 3rd would have been the general election date if the FTPA hadn't been repealed.

But nah just get Penny in, cling on for another 6 months. It's fine.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jedit posted:

Rose Hanbury was 25 when she married the Marquis of Boute-Sexe, by the way, not 19. He is 24 years her senior though.

That'll teach me to try counting with my fingers before bed. Thanks for the correction.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Head of state election between the Glasgow pensioner that wanted to put a stake through Thatchers corpse, and the Welsh pensioner that wanted to machine gun all the Tories.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Sunak with his arm around the shoulders of a young girl, bit Prince Andrew, innit?!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/16/sunak-under-pressure-to-say-how-many-times-he-has-met-tory-donor-frank-hester

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fuctifino posted:

I propose a celebrity deathmatch form of politics: There are 650 MPs, but only 427 physical seats in the House of Commons chamber. So we arm them each MP with a ceremonial mace, and we let them fight it out. The winners will be those who have successfully retained a physical seat while also retaining their life.

It would make politics much more interesting

e:

I think that illegitimate children become automatically legitimised if the parents end up marrying, so it would need William and Rose marrying.

God this is so stupid but...The Succession to the Crown Act requires the top 6 people in the line of succession (so William, his 3 kids, Harry, his eldest kid) to get the permission of the monarch to wed, & getting married without permission of the sovereign disqualifies you & your issue from the line of succession. Bastards are legitimised if the parents marry but are not included in the line of succession. Seems stupid you say? Yes, yes it is. Like Yeah Yeah Yeahs sang, "off with your head...Heads will roll"

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I can’t see them replacing the leader before the election, or rather I wouldn’t see any sensible MP wanting to replace him as leader before a general election as whoever loses will likely need to leave anyway.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Rarity posted:

There's evenings weekends and half-term mate

So we think they probably are at school, but can't confirm that for reasons of manners and protocol, but we also haven't seen any sign of them outside that, but that's not particularly unusual?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Let Liz Truss have another go.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

fuctifino posted:

I think that illegitimate children become automatically legitimised if the parents end up marrying, so it would need William and Rose marrying.

From what I understand this is normally true however the laws that established that created exceptions for inheritable “titles of honour” such that it may not apply to royal succession.

Regardless it would be one of those situations where, if it came up, would probably require confirmatory legislation anyway since the various Commonwealth realms would need to all agree to the same successor to maintain the personal union. Parliament wouldn’t let Rose’s kids inherit if Canada or Australia were sticking firm on giving the crown to Harry.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

keep punching joe posted:

Head of state election between the Glasgow pensioner that wanted to put a stake through Thatchers corpse, and the Welsh pensioner that wanted to machine gun all the Tories.

Don't forget the pensioner who spraypainted Thatcher's statue recently!

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Starbucks posted:

I can’t see them replacing the leader before the election, or rather I wouldn’t see any sensible MP wanting to replace him as leader before a general election as whoever loses will likely need to leave anyway.

I think this is solely MPs who are about to lose their seats floating the idea, mostly in a 'something needs to happen if I want to keep my seat... changing the leader is something' way

The only way becoming Leader might be worth it as an MP, is if your plan was to take the leadership call an election quickly and ride the bounce into a much closer loss than predicted and happily resign to become a party grandee in the lords.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Runcible Cat posted:

Don't forget the pensioner who spraypainted Thatcher's statue recently!

God that ruled

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

and sorry but what the hell is this

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Starbucks posted:

In a decently insulated house air conditioning heats a room up faster than a radiator, and provides cooling in the summer. Our obsession with radiators is crap.
It seems like it's because the British climate only ever got too cold in the past when everything was designed. Not like the climate is changing though, so no problems there at least!

One thing I heard is that new builds are apparently hell in the summer because the insulation is designed to keep heat in, but does nothing about stopping it building up. Same with UPVC windows, designed to let sunlight in to 'help heat rooms' but not conduct heat between the panes to let it back out again.

Radiators are also annoying though because they get in the way of furniture. We have one huge radiator in the living room that makes one side of the room too hot, and the other side of the room barely noticeable, because the house we live in was flipped for a quick sale and was designed to look good, not actually be livable.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
For new builds (as I have one) it’s about keeping heat out. Thermal blinds / curtains, keeping windows and doors shut and such can keep it pretty bearable for a bit but if it gets really warm then getting a portable air con unit is needed.

But they are still not fitting air source heat pumps but gas boilers.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Also heat pumps systems that did cooling were excluded from the various money saving grants and schemes.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Starbucks posted:

But they are still not fitting air source heat pumps but gas boilers.

It gets cold in the winter, now doesn't it. If it's hot in summertime, you can just fill your garbage bin with cold water and go have a soak and some cocktails

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Also heat pumps systems that did cooling were excluded from the various money saving grants and schemes.
But are still zero rated for VAT as long as they do heating.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Guavanaut posted:

But are still zero rated for VAT as long as they do heating.

this is an interesting sentence:

"HMRC’s understanding is that most air conditioning units are air source heat pumps. However, in cases of doubt, deciding if any particular product is to be treated as an air source heat pump will depend on the facts of each case."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Most fitters won't charge you VAT, so until one of them gets done for VAT fraud, split system air conditioners are at least de facto zero rated for VAT as long as they do heating.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Rappaport posted:

It gets cold in the winter, now doesn't it.

You mean a few weeks of sub-zero temperatures at night?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SixFigureSandwich posted:

You mean a few weeks of sub-zero temperatures at night?

In normal language 'cold' is a subjective measure. But I was making fun of the garbage bin swimmer gammons from a couple summers back, I realize the heating element fixation is stupid.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bucky Fullminster posted:

and sorry but what the hell is this

I'm sorry. I'm diagnosed dyslexic so writing anything here takes a moment and I still make mistakes. I'll be more careful in the future with my a's and an's.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

Just have an election jfc

This was in relation to the current gov but also can apply to head of state

We could always have another civil war, it worked for a bit before.

Maybe let's not do the Lord Protector thing again though, he was a shithead, how about the Doge of London?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Darkly funny that the press suddenly care about racism in the Tory party / racism against Dianne Abbott now, when Labour is loving garbage.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

And like the old song, the winner will be Jeremy Corbyn in a bloodstained sweater.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://bsky.app/profile/segatape.bsky.social/post/3knrmrti3242k

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I had to pay VAT for my a/c that does heating. Worth every goddamn penny.

With regards to heat isolation I was wondering if I could get external heat shields fitted to my windows. I have a conservatory and we "sensibly" got it built with a proper roof. It's still terrible though. It's loving freezing in winter and boiling in summer so it just stays with the doors closed most of the time. I wish I'd just gotten an extension instead.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wish rolladen windows or even just outside shutters were more of a thing here.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Bobstar posted:

Also frees up wall space for putting things against. Love my floor/ceiling vents.

I prefer a radiative heating system. It's quiet, requires little to no maintenance. What I like most is that you can use insulated water tanks as energy storage and generate heat when power is cheap and store it for later. You can even combine different energy sources to the same system, such as a heat pump, wood boiler, even solar added into the same system.

The advantage air based heating has is that it's quicker to heat and can also cool.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I was thinking of getting something like this https://www.abodewindowfilms.co.uk/product/high-reflective-silver-window-film/

(I assume it goes inside not outside?)

However my wife is concerned that it will make the house stand out more and someone might throw a rock at us. Her defense mechanism is to never be noticed, which isn't a bad strategy to be fair... I'm just not sure anyone gives that much of a gently caress? I just want it to not be a thousand degrees in there in summer.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If a house has a high end alarm and half a dozen cameras, I assume there's something valuable in there or the inhabitant is paranoid.
If a house has shutters or window film, I assume they're a light sleeper or get hot easily.
It's only if a house has both that I start thinking meth lab.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Mine just has 7 cats...

Maybe they're running a meth lab?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wouldn't put it past cats.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Isn't there a home improvement thread somewhere in ask tell I could ask about it? There must be.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Mebh posted:

Mine just has 7 cats...

Maybe they're running a meth lab?

Yeah, we just had to install this due to two kittens destroying the net curtains.

It's not that obvious from outside.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm not sure if there's a full plumbing thread but this is a minor problem so I thought I'd ask here.

I have an heated towel rail in my bathroom that is leaking. It's a slow leak, just the occasional drip from what I can see. How do I fix it?

The leak is coming, from what I can tell, from the thick horizontal cylinder pointing into the center of the radiator.

This will be my first time doing any plumbing so step by step instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

e- i quoted the wrong post :classiclol:

replacing the valve is very simple, the rubber O- rings are very often the first point of failure and will cause a leak when they perish. they are threaded and screw in and out with a bit of gumption - you'll want to liberally wrap up the thread on the new one with ptfe to give it a bit of longevity. draining down and refilling a sealed heating system can be a massive pain depending on how big your system is and whether you fully drain it or not, as inevitably once you've refilled it to pressure and bled the air you'll have to faff about rebalancing the radiators. it's not complex by any means but it's not a five minute job

kecske fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah if the stat on your resistive electric towel rail is leaking water call a priest instead.