Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

chaosapiant posted:

This is where I am. I fully expect a giant 6th novel at some point that is pretty decent, offers some good payoffs from books 4 and 5, and most of all, ends on several giant new cliffhangers that never ever get resolved.

Here’s my secret: I still enjoy the books, including 4 and 5, and I also like the show, even the ending. My biggest beef with the show isn’t any of the plot points themselves, but that seasons 7 and 8 are so much shorter, and some of the plot twists don’t feel earned as a result.

But should book 6 come out I’ll gladly read it. I’m not going to pretend like all of a sudden he’s a poo poo author writing poo poo books.

Nah, if the fat fucker really puts out another book (which I doubt), it will be bad

It will be huge, and yet will feel incomplete. It will barely advance the main plot, it will go to all sorts of new directions, introducting a whole bunch of new characters and plots, and it will deviate from the TV show just for the sake of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

Nah, if the fat fucker really puts out another book (which I doubt), it will be bad

It will be huge, and yet will feel incomplete. It will barely advance the main plot, it will go to all sorts of new directions, introducting a whole bunch of new characters and plots, and it will deviate from the TV show just for the sake of it

but enough about Dance, what do we think Winds will be like?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

pidan posted:

LitRPG is a genre, it's basically fantasy except it explicitly works on video game logic and characters do numerical damage and level up.

Some are literally about a video game, others just have the mechanics.

It's honestly not that bad, in the same way trashy paint by numbers 80's fantasy novels weren't that bad. Utterly forgettable, but still unoffensive.

LitRPGs would be embarrassed to have published the scene with Dany making GBS threads herself. Only an absolute fucker could go there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Irisi posted:

There was a delightful post in Reddit from a guy whose reading comprehension was not up to scratch/was reading in his second language, and was very confused about crannogmen shooting someone (ie with a blowdart/arrow) and took it to mean the folk of the Neck had some sort of primitive gun.

Which of course leads to the memetic theory that Howland Reed was packing heat on the road to the Tower of Joy, and blew away Arthur Dayne with a .22 Valyrian Steel Shotgun, which is genuinely the only theory I will now accept.

A .22-caliber shotgun would be pathetic. That’s the kind of thing that people kill rats and snakes with.

:goonsay:

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Here's a music video from ten years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CLCOvZOh1o

There is still no Winds of Winter

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Elias_Maluco posted:

The book is over 600 pages hardback, and 578 of those pages are an even longer, more boring version of the story about squishers from A Feast for Crows. 2 pages are the framing device of Brienne finding The Big Book of Squishers and the remainder is Dany Diarrhea updates.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
People are tough on GRRM for the time he spends editing, but consider that if had he not edited, A Game of Thrones would have such baffling plot points as

• Aerys killing Steffon Baratheon
  • Jon Arryn accompanying Ned to the Tower of Joy and killing Arthur Dayne with a shotgun of Valyrian steel
  • Robert giving Storm’s End to Stannis and Dragonstone to Renly
  • Robb, Jon, and Dany being even younger
  • Cersei ordering the death of Jon Arryn
  • Ned calling Cersei a bitch*, in conversation with Arya
  • Ned ordering Catelyn to seize Tyrion on his way back from the Wall
  • Pycelle being the voice of reason in preparing for winter

*In fairness, there’s a bit of wordplay here in the context of her relationship with Sandor “The Hound” Clegane. It’s still a bad line.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

He’s written 5 books so awesome they completely destroyed the brain of everyone in this thread for 20 years. The next book is going to kick rear end.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Knuc U Kinte posted:

He’s written 5 books so awesome they completely destroyed the brain of everyone in this thread for 20 years. The next book is going to kick rear end.

lol

He wrote 3 good books, and two weak messy ones with some good moments

He did created an interesting setting that inspired a TV show that got really popular and actually finished the story (even though badly) and that’s the reason anyone even remembers who he is

But anyway most people are here just to make fun of the mountain who does not writes

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Mar 15, 2024

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ned is not dead yet but Robert is about dead. After thinking on it, Neds motivations make perfect sense. Ever decision is based on doing the honorable/just thing. He doesn't want to kill kids and he doesn't want to enable it, either. He always wants to give people a chance to do the right thing, as well.

OTOH, his is a comedy of errors:

He confronts Cersei in the hopes she will flee. It doesn't seem to occur to him that she is likely the one who killed Jon Arryn. She blatantly admits to the incest and everything and he just derps away.
He doesn't tell Robert when he has the chance because he doesn't want his friend to be sad.
When Renly gives him a great out without killing any kids he refuses because he doesn't want to disrespect Robert by acting early.
When Littlefinger says "hey, if you tell Stannis, there is gonna be a lot of killing and death," Ned says well, can't do anything about it cuz he is the rightful heir. Even if it means lots of dead people.

Each decision makes sense in a vacuum. But at some point, you'd think he would add it all up and just hold his nose and do the greater right thing.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Waltzing Along posted:

Ned is not dead yet but Robert is about dead. After thinking on it, Neds motivations make perfect sense. Ever decision is based on doing the honorable/just thing. He doesn't want to kill kids and he doesn't want to enable it, either. He always wants to give people a chance to do the right thing, as well.

He confronts Cersei in the hopes she will flee. It doesn't seem to occur to him that she is likely the one who killed Jon Arryn. She blatantly admits to the incest and everything and he just derps away.
He doesn't tell Robert when he has the chance because he doesn't want his friend to be sad.
When Renly gives him a great out without killing any kids he refuses because he doesn't want to disrespect Robert by acting early.
When Littlefinger says "hey, if you tell Stannis, there is gonna be a lot of killing and death," Ned says well, can't do anything about it cuz he is the rightful heir. Even if it means lots of dead people.

Each decision makes sense in a vacuum. But at some point, you'd think he would add it all up and just hold his nose and do the greater right thing.

The secret is, the Starks all suck and deserved what they got.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Elias_Maluco posted:

He wrote 3 good books, and two weak messy ones with some good moments

He wrote 3 good books, and a weak messy one with some good moments, and one so truly horrible that Gutenberg would've smashed his printing machine if he'd known

I had more enjoyment reading book 10 of Wheel of Time where there are three chapters per main character where they just travel, ending with a single Rand chapter where he cleanse the source with next to no buildup

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Before I started on this journey I saw that he'd written 1200 pages or so. Why not just release a bunch of it as its own book? Make it an 8 or 9 book series. Just release something and appease your fans. Why release a 1600 page book that is 4 times as long as a normal book? 5 times?

He's already tried two different approaches to this.

For Feast, he decided it was better to just release what he had completed for about half the characters/locations. That did not go well.

For ADwD, he eventually decided* to just release the rest of what he had so far. That did not go well.

*was forced by his publishers

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Anders posted:

I had more enjoyment reading book 10 of Wheel of Time where there are three chapters per main character where they just travel, ending with a single Rand chapter where he cleanse the source with next to no buildup

That was the book that caused me to abandon hope for WoT and pick up this new series, endorsed by Robert Jordan no less, titled A Game of Thrones.

:ohno:

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
Gurm lost his mojo after ASoS and all interest in continuing the series after ADwD (well, probably after the series went forward with the plot without him) and that's absolutely fine, it happens, but he should just stop faking and admit he ain't gonna do poo poo anymore and that's also absolutely fine

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Anders posted:

He wrote 3 good books, and a weak messy one with some good moments, and one so truly horrible that Gutenberg would've smashed his printing machine if he'd known

That was book 9. Book 10 is the one where Jordan got the timelines back in sync by having every significant plotline react to the cleansing by going "Wow something interesting is happening over there. Should we teleport in or just not give a gently caress?" and then deciding to not give a gently caress because we already saw who was at the event and it wasn't any of them.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Platystemon posted:

People are tough on GRRM for the time he spends editing, but consider that if had he not edited, A Game of Thrones would have such baffling plot points as

• Aerys killing Steffon Baratheon
  • Jon Arryn accompanying Ned to the Tower of Joy and killing Arthur Dayne with a shotgun of Valyrian steel
  • Robert giving Storm’s End to Stannis and Dragonstone to Renly
  • Robb, Jon, and Dany being even younger
  • Cersei ordering the death of Jon Arryn
  • Ned calling Cersei a bitch*, in conversation with Arya
  • Ned ordering Catelyn to seize Tyrion on his way back from the Wall
  • Pycelle being the voice of reason in preparing for winter

*In fairness, there’s a bit of wordplay here in the context of her relationship with Sandor “The Hound” Clegane. It’s still a bad line.

Robert gives Storm's End to Stannis. After his death, Stannis rallies the Stormlords and, via his Florent allies and an advantageous marriage of his young brother Renly, the Reachmen, and takes King's Landing in a swift and brutal assault. The Bastards of Lannister are put to the sword. Renly has a party. Stannis refuses to recognize Robb Stark. The Young Wolf is swatted down and condemned for betraying not only his true king but his father's own wishes. Rickard Karstark is made Warden of the North. Daenarys dies pooping in a field. Tywin marries Tyrion to Shereen Baratheon, the heir apparent. The two grumpy, stern old men agree that war is war, and what's needed now is stability and rule of law. Dorne is angry offscreen. Peace and order reign in the Seven Kingdoms.

Two books, series over, you're welcome George.

soviet elsa fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 15, 2024

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

soviet elsa posted:

Robert gives Storm's End to Stannis. After his death, Stannis rallies the Stormlords and, via his Florent allies and an advantageous marriage of his young brother Renly, the Reachmen, and takes King's Landing in a swift and brutal assault. The Bastards of Lannister are put to the sword. Renly has a party. Stannis refuses to recognize Robb Stark. The Young Wolf is swatted down and condemned for betraying not only his true king but his father's own wishes. Rickard Karstark is made Warden of the North. Daenarys dies pooping in a field. Tywin marries Tyrion to Shereen Baratheon, the heir apparent. The two grumpy, stern old men agree that war is war, and what's needed now is stability and rule of law. Dorne is angry offscreen. Peace and order reign in the Seven Kingdoms.

Two books, series over, you're welcome George.

But what stops the Others from killing everyone, especially with Stannis having no motivation to rush to the Wall to save the Kingdom from the Wildlings?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ravenson posted:

But what stops the Others from killing everyone, especially with Stannis having no motivation to rush to the Wall to save the Kingdom from the Wildlings?

The Cannibal is still alive.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The magical Wall keeps them out since nobody hand delivered the only tool that can break it to the Night King

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Leyton Hightower smites them with his ICBM wizard magic.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Waltzing Along posted:

Even with Stannis, Ned was probably hoping to avert a civil war rather than set one off. Dude was dangerously optimistic about others having honor.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Liquid Communism posted:

Dude was dangerously optimistic about others having honor.

This is the actual mistake he makes everywhere, yeah

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sansa suuuuuuuuuucks.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Sansa is my favorite POV character :(

Or at least was when the show was happening, and I thought maybe there would be a conclusion to her arc? Perhaps detailed in two future books. Silly me.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

This is where I am. I fully expect a giant 6th novel at some point that is pretty decent, offers some good payoffs from books 4 and 5, and most of all, ends on several giant new cliffhangers that never ever get resolved.

Here’s my secret: I still enjoy the books, including 4 and 5, and I also like the show, even the ending. My biggest beef with the show isn’t any of the plot points themselves, but that seasons 7 and 8 are so much shorter, and some of the plot twists don’t feel earned as a result.

But should book 6 come out I’ll gladly read it. I’m not going to pretend like all of a sudden he’s a poo poo author writing poo poo books.

It's not that he's a bad writer all at the sudden, it's that he lost control of the shape of the story, and it's not going better.

It looks like the whole thing derailed after book 3. He planned to have a time skip, and then spent years trying to detail what happened, until he realized he wasn't writing anything, so decided to simply start writing from where he left off.

The problem is not what happens after, but that, if you are aware of it, you can notice by reading book 3 that all characters are carefully positioned to GET to that time skip. That then doesn't happen. It's book 3 already that derails compared to the new plan.

He simply lost control of what he was doing and it's now obvious that the problem wasn't simply getting book 5 done. He's even admitted multiple times that it's possible two other books won't be enough to finish the story.

He still can write, sure. But he doesn't know what he's doing with the overall trajectory of the thing. And probably around him has people who only try to be complacent and offer bad advices to keep him happy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm about 75% of the way through this first book.

Best character by far is the lord commanders crow.
Worst is Sansa. Sansa is somehow worse in this book than she was on the show.

Did anyone here read the book when it was new. Before the 2nd book came out? And if so, how much of a mindfuck was it?

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I just want to hear more about Jason Mallister

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Ravenson posted:

That was book 9. Book 10 is the one where Jordan got the timelines back in sync by having every significant plotline react to the cleansing by going "Wow something interesting is happening over there. Should we teleport in or just not give a gently caress?" and then deciding to not give a gently caress because we already saw who was at the event and it wasn't any of them.
Yeah, book 6-10 was bad, but at least they existed, and in the end we got a good resolution. I've forgotten it, but I seem to remember I was happy about it

Waltzing Along posted:

Best character by far is the lord commanders crow.
Worst is Sansa. Sansa is somehow worse in this book than she was on the show.

Did anyone here read the book when it was new. Before the 2nd book came out? And if so, how much of a mindfuck was it?

I started reading them around 2002, and they were really good up to aSoS. Not sure how much of a mindfuck it was after Headless Ned

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

My coworker who loaned me the books immediately said “don’t get too attached to the protagonist!” which like why

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Guy A. Person posted:

My coworker who loaned me the books immediately said “don’t get too attached to the protagonist!” which like why

Did you just complain about spoilers, in this thread?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Guy A. Person posted:

Which protagonist? I mean, it's not like the book has one. Just some vaguely likable characters, a couple idiots and sansa.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I read GoT when it came out. I was a member of this sci fi and fantasy mail order book club thing. My 16 year old self recognised it as being a big step up in quality over the usual Eddings/Feist stuff but I didn't think it was particularly shocking or subversive or anything.

I do remember thinking 'ok Ned's off to help Jon at the wall and that's what the rest of the series is going to be about...welp' but it was more surprising than shocking.

I also saw Dany as the 'baddie' fire-themed threat to the kingdom rather than as a goodie protagonist, which, well, I guess that was right after all.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i read the books before there was alot of online zeitgeist or knowledge of it, well before the tv show and I just remember hating jon snow way more than 99% of people

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The books kinda suggests almost since the beginning that Dany is no savior, or at least much less makes her look like one than the TV show

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
George’s editors were like “maybe tone down the bit with Catelyn ripping her lips and ears off.”

No word on what changed his mind about Brienne.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Elias_Maluco posted:

The books kinda suggests almost since the beginning that Dany is no savior, or at least much less makes her look like one than the TV show

That's my feeling so far. Jon is the protagonist. Dany is going to be a villain.

I mean, it's obvious from the beginning that Jon is the hero of the tale. Dany starts lusting for power as soon as her bro dies.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

new book bitches

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't even have the heart to spoil it for you. GRRM will ruin it for you far worse than I ever could.

for old times sake tho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lz3lAd2nGQ

soviet elsa posted:

Why on Earth do any of these fools profess faith in the Seven when every other religion has literal wizards running around, George?

Catelyn sitting there hoping the Mother will save her grievously injured son when she knows 100% that the Many-faced God also has an interest in death, and more importantly, an active cult with wizard powers.

I think that until recently, they were just as powerful as any other "gods". Which is to say little to none. It seems like magic / gods / dragons are re-awakening at this point in time. And the average dude probably sees the assassins as a myth or something to do with another land. There is a deeper thread here that I always expected GRRM to focus on, what was happening with magic in general. That is probably because many books I've read do have some macro level poo poo going on, even if it is subtle. I would have liked to see some insight into the gods warring, but I think GRRM just wrote it all off as "magic is coming back, gods are fake" or whatever. I would have also expected the Seven to have some magic users reawakening as priests, but maybe their particular magic manifested as the social control/uprising we see with the skylarks or w/e they were called.

Hasselblad posted:

Perhaps he'll add a part in WoW where Jon watches Dany scale The Wall, and he ejaculates when she summits.

kek, I read that book.

TERFherder fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 17, 2024

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I bet theres more wild cards books out there than wild cards readers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Xiahou Dun posted:

Did you just complain about spoilers, in this thread?

I remember the good old days when we spoiled anyone who came into the thread just out of spite

:allears: