Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Comrade Koba posted:

Suleiman was the guy who admitted to being a sex pest but implied it was his victims fault since he could not be blamed for being in possession of such amazing intellect, witty charm and mesmerizing beauty, right?

Yes, and he couldn't possibly do anything to really hurt women because he loves his mother and sisters so much.

quote:

My Apology

My name is C.A. Suleiman, and if you’re only passing familiar with my situation, the short version is that I have stepped in it but good. But the fall is my doing: I chose my path and set my tread, and thus, the pitfall was always there, up ahead, waiting for me.
Let me start by saying that if you are a person — female, male, non-binary — and you were hurt or felt intimidated not just by anything I’ve said, but also by anything I didn’t say but definitely *should* have said, you have my deepest apologies. I see you, I hear you, and I promise I will continue to listen.
I also see and respect that boundaries vary from person to person, and that a man who is six-foot-two, with a goatee and eyes possessed of an intensity that others have called “alarming,” should not enter into first impressions with women laboring under the idea that their boundaries would be anything but broad, clearly defined, and observed closely.
In an appropriately cruel irony, it has recently become clear that this writer hasn’t always had the best choice of words when it comes to first impressions with certain women and men, and the fact that I’m not just a writer, but a person who expressly leads with compassion, makes it all the more unpalatable. I can and will do better.
I do not and would not ever set out to discomfit, let alone actively alarm, and for someone to come away from a conversation with me wondering if they’ve just been in the presence of a true danger or genuine threat to women, is one of the most intensely upsetting things I can imagine, and I say that as a writer of horror stories, as the son of a lifelong refugee, and as a former target of early-life abuse.
I unequivocally respect and love women, and I always have. My mom is the world’s greatest living poet, in my estimation, and I would not have a shred of the creative talent I possess — the very thing that has allowed me the opportunity to tell stories and make games for actual money for the last 18 years — if not for her. (My dad is pure rationalist and scientist, and perhaps I take after him more in certain respects.)
I have two amazing sisters, both of whom I adore and who love me for who I am, neither of whom tolerates my bullshit. Just like my friends don’t tolerate it, either, and yet somehow love me anyway.
But despite all of this, I have caused hurt. I have caused offense and I have caused fear, and the fact that it was unintended is secondary to the impact — to the fact that it happened at all. Please accept that my regret over these missteps is both sincere and transformative.
Clearly, I need to take a little time and tend to my own house. I’ve never been short on self-examination in the past, but it’s a reminder well taken that we should never slow down on all manner of self-examination, lest the changing times and tides outpace us and sweep us off our feet.
As such, I’m stepping back from work for a while. It looks like the projects I was working on will be in good hands moving forward, and that’s a welcome relief since it’s clear to me that I need to be focusing on getting my own act together.
My dad has been battling cancer this year, and with him coming home from the hospital this weekend, it appears we’re headed into that last stage, so I intend to dedicate much of my time to being there for him, for my sisters, and for my mother, who isn’t quite strong enough to will the sickness away from the love of her life, but who refuses to allow a fact so trivial to deter her.
With the man of our house settling in for his final ride, I know that the closest women in my life are going to need me. And I can’t think of anything else I should be doing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don’t know what he did but I’m sure his dad’s cancer justified it

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Just one of the sex pests of this and the adjacent horror fiction industry. He's the one that the Green Ronin higher-ups are going to provide a timeline for Any Day Now explaining why he didn't actually do anything wrong/it's not their fault they knew some of the allegations but still put him in a mentorship program over young women.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That Old Tree posted:

Yes, and he couldn't possibly do anything to really hurt women because he loves his mother and sisters so much.

I'd forgotten the whole thing but the 'eyes possessed of an intensity some have called alarming' reads like he's describing his Mage character.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I remember the thread had a good time memeing on his rear end due to his complete non-apology.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Cool Dad posted:

I'm out of the loop, what's wrong with OPP?

Mostly it seems like every few months it turns out the execs are doing lovely stuff.

No ethical consumption under capitalism yadda yadda.

I suppose buying the fan supplements on drivethru go directly to the ones who made them after OPP get their cut?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Mostly it seems like every few months it turns out the execs are doing lovely stuff.

I suppose buying the fan supplements on drivethru go directly to the ones who made them after OPP get their cut?

Yes. Or, well, it goes into a drive thru account they have to cash out, but they get direct money per sale.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Green Ronin never did publish timeline.txt did they

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Anyone here actually publish for the various fan-driven drivethru licence?

I boguht a couple, like the fanmade V20 Rome books or the Glorantha Duck book.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

Green Ronin never did publish timeline.txt did they

Oh my no. One of the GR people came out swinging on RPG.net after attacking someone who came forward on Facebook about how it was being overblown because all of Suleiman's offenses were from several years ago and only were things like 'he flirted with me' and 'he was kind of a dick' when the receipts being brought were both worse and more recent which necessitated there being a timeline to absolve GR which still hasn't happened yet.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Welp, despite all the scrambling WoTC keeps doing to deny it, Hasbro's CEO is still all in on using LLM AI content gen in MtG and D&D.

https://venturebeat.com/games/how-hasbro-is-jumping-on-the-game-opportunity-chris-cocks-interview/

quote:

The advantage we have–it’s funny. This is cutting-edge technology, and Hasbro is a 100-year-old company, which you don’t usually think is–usually you think there’s a threat there. But when you talk about the richness of the lore and the depth of the brands–D&D has 50 years of content that we can mine. Literally thousands of adventures that we’ve created, probably tens of millions of words we own and can leverage. Magic: The Gathering has been around for 35 years, more than 15,000 cards we can use in something like that. Peppa Pig has been around for 20 years and has hundreds of thousands of hours of published content we can leverage. Transformers, I’ve been watching Transformers TV shows since I was a kid in Cincinnati in the early ‘80s.

We can leverage all of that to be able to build very interesting and compelling use cases for AI that can bring our characters to life. We can build tools that aid in content creation for users or create really interesting gamified scenarios around them.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Liquid Communism posted:

Welp, despite all the scrambling WoTC keeps doing to deny it, Hasbro's CEO is still all in on using LLM AI content gen in MtG and D&D.

https://venturebeat.com/games/how-hasbro-is-jumping-on-the-game-opportunity-chris-cocks-interview/

This bitch didn't create anything he's taking credit for there

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
LMAO, "Cocks".

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Bottom Liner posted:

This bitch didn't create anything he's taking credit for there

Yeah, that royal 'we' is laying claim to a shitload of work mostly done by freelancers for bottom dollar pay.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

MonsieurChoc posted:

This isn't a really helpful response. What kind of lovely stuff? There's a lot of flavors of that in ttRPGs.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The quality of their stuff has been going downhill for a long time now, largely because they rely entirely on freelancers being paid beer money and their books are increasingly word salad with mediocre art (and Melissa Uran because dropping her would actually cost them something). They've lost pretty much all of the creatives who started with White Wolf because they moved on to jobs that could actually support them.

There have been some scandals, but at this point most of the ill-will they have is more a matter of "Jesus, nobody should be able to publish books as bad as Mummy 2e and The Contagion Chronicle and keep trucking on like they still have credibility."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Sionak posted:

This isn't a really helpful response. What kind of lovely stuff? There's a lot of flavors of that in ttRPGs.

There's a few things like the discussion a few pages back of one writer at OPP being racist towards a Palestinian writer, but for the most part the lovely things that are revealed about Onyx Path are just... that they're a badly managed company, and that's being reflected in the quality of their work. That their books are written by getting a swarm of underpaid contractors to write each chunk of the book with minimal managerial oversight and their entire business strategy is using the influx of money from one kickstarter to survive until the next one.

They're exceedingly normal flaws in this industry, and if their books were still good it probably wouldn't come up in here at all. That's why MonsieurChoc's answer was kind of nothing: because there isn't actually a smoking gun you can point to and say "this company is Bad now". Just a series of reveals that make you go "oh, I see why they've been going downhill lately".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah, people point at the racism like a smoking gun as to 'why it is bad now' but things have been going downhill ever since Paradox took over the license. I'd speculate it is at least in part because their level of desired managerial oversight made it a pain in the rear end to write for them. This slowed down the kickstarter pipeline and means that it's harder to keep a writer engaged on followup projects. They've lost a lot of good talent in the last six years.

Like a writer should not need to specify that "the sentence about werewolf sperm being so mighty it breaks IUDs" was inserted after the fact by publisher fiat. but that's the world that Parawoof created.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, people point at the racism like a smoking gun as to 'why it is bad now' but things have been going downhill ever since Paradox took over the license. I'd speculate it is at least in part because their level of desired managerial oversight made it a pain in the rear end to write for them. This slowed down the kickstarter pipeline and means that it's harder to keep a writer engaged on followup projects. They've lost a lot of good talent in the last six years.

Like a writer should not need to specify that "the sentence about werewolf sperm being so mighty it breaks IUDs" was inserted after the fact by publisher fiat. but that's the world that Parawoof created.

Right? We should not have been shocked at Sambrano's treatment writing for Werewolf 5E* - and I don't think many of us who paid attention were - because it's been there mostly since day one of Paradox's tenure.

*A Native writer who tried to make the setting more friendly to actual Native viewpoints and was roundly rebuffed and ignored and was told things like "Well, why don't we just kill one of the two Native Garou tribes outright?"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Many people who would have cared had already written off the NuWOD after the parade of V5's atrocities.

Because Jesus Christ V5 was a load of edgy alt-right bullshit.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Stories of mistreatment/underpayment of freelancers by OPP have come up several times over the years and it can't all be laid at Paradox's feet. One story that sticks in my mind was one writer saying how peeved they were that they were expected to run a game for Kickstarter backers who pledged at a significantly more expensive reward tier, but saw none of that money in compensation.

Of course, some of the freelancers with complaints were bad actors themselves, and muddied the waters a bunch. I won't lie, I gave OPP way more slack than I should have because of said bad actors. It may not mean much anymore since I'm not at all interested in the products they put out now, but I'm good with not giving OPP or Paradox any more money for anything.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Reading the whole interview doesn’t give me quite that impression. (It does, like most CEO interviews, make me wonder why these barely-coherent word-salads don’t make investors nervous, because for as much as these people get paid you’d expect that they’d be better communicators.)

The first quotation starts with Cocks talking about responsible AI usage and the ethics of LLM training and he’s basically responding that they could develop a “D&D” LLM trained just on their own content. This answer strikes me as more meaningful, from later in the interview:

“Cocks interview” posted:

Cocks: Well, we’re a toy company. We’re a pretty soft empire. Once again, I think it’s just a paradigm that you have to figure out. I’m sure if you went to a classic P&G-style brand manager from the 1950s and you told him what the world looks like today, with user-generated content on the internet pre-AI, they’d say, “How do you control this thing?” And the answer is, it’s not really control. It’s co-creation. It’s engagement. It’s truly embracing a community mindset to a brand being owned by more than just a company, but by hundreds of thousands of fans who care as passionately about it as you do.

That’s going to be the mindset that you have to remember as you evolve for the brave new world of tools that we have coming out. I use AI in building out my D&D campaigns. I play D&D three or four times a month with my friends. I’m horrible at art. I don’t commercialize anything I do. It doesn’t have anything to do with work. But what I’m able to accomplish with the Bing image creator, or talking to ChatGPT, it really delights my middle-aged friends when I do a Roll20 campaign or a D&D Beyond campaign and I put some PowerPoints together on a TV and call it an interactive map.

That could certainly mean “use AI art in products,” but I read it more as Cocks saying that DMs are increasingly going to use AI tools in their personal campaigns, that he sees little difference between trying to control that and trying to control pre-AI “user-generated content,” and that he doesn’t see a problem with it. My guess is that he’s thinking Hasbro could make money by providing AI tools for D&D trained on content Hasbro owns, and that if they don’t, people will just use existing (more generic) tools to do the same things and Hasbro loses out.

I saw no indication he thinks these tools are a replacement for official products or that he imagines WotC will stop selling adventure modules once they have an AI adventure generator up and running. This is very much “here’s a new market where we can compete.”

I’m not saying any of that is a good idea, or that I trust Cocks worth a drat, but his statements in this interview aren’t saying “WotC policy is no AI art in official products but I’ll soon change that,” it’s more “how do we make more money off AI?” That could go in some terrible ways or in some ways that might be OK. (Would a LLM AI “Sage” answering D&D rules questions do worse than Crawford? WotC sure isn’t willing to pay someone full-time to do that work.)

Free Gratis posted:

Stories of mistreatment/underpayment of freelancers by OPP have come up several times over the years and it can't all be laid at Paradox's feet. One story that sticks in my mind was one writer saying how peeved they were that they were expected to run a game for Kickstarter backers who pledged at a significantly more expensive reward tier, but saw none of that money in compensation.

Of course, some of the freelancers with complaints were bad actors themselves, and muddied the waters a bunch. I won't lie, I gave OPP way more slack than I should have because of said bad actors. It may not mean much anymore since I'm not at all interested in the products they put out now, but I'm good with not giving OPP or Paradox any more money for anything.

I’m not sure “hire rear end in a top hat freelancers so when they complain about how poorly you treated them, nobody cares” ever said anything good about OPP. Not caring about your freelancers’ reputations or deliberately hiring them because then you can mistreat them yourselves just seem like different levels of the same bad behavior. So I agree, OPP seems to have pretty clearly entered the “no, you are the rear end in a top hat” classification.

Running even a small game company takes a wide range of skills and it’s pretty rare to see someone good at doing all of them. Get big enough and you’re either stuck in the Peter Principle world where you can hire new employees good at doing very specific jobs but your original management staff all have seniority and can override them, or you get acquired by somebody really big (like Hasbro) where even if their people are strong in areas you were weak, they have no investment in or knowledge of what you do specifically and can easily expect you to adapt to their practices. That can mean good things for HR, say (as compared to the “one boss” office where if your boss harasses you he’s also the only one to report it to), but very bad things for whatever you actually produce (like the marketing wing of the corporation somehow taking control of your future products and release schedules). OPP didn’t have to be villains to end up here, they just set certain priorities and were sloppy in areas they should have cared more about.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Narsham posted:

I’m not sure “hire rear end in a top hat freelancers so when they complain about how poorly you treated them, nobody cares” ever said anything good about OPP. Not caring about your freelancers’ reputations or deliberately hiring them because then you can mistreat them yourselves just seem like different levels of the same bad behavior. So I agree, OPP seems to have pretty clearly entered the “no, you are the rear end in a top hat” classification.

I don't believe OPP was deliberately hiring bad actors as some form of 3D chess. I just think they greatly benefited from the fact that their loudest whistle blower was also publicly being a apologist for his sex pest friend.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Narsham posted:

Reading the whole interview doesn’t give me quite that impression. (It does, like most CEO interviews, make me wonder why these barely-coherent word-salads don’t make investors nervous, because for as much as these people get paid you’d expect that they’d be better communicators.)

Investors love this poo poo. We just saw how Kickstarter going on about "blockchain" even though the CEO himself didn't even know what that really meant or how it would benefit them got the company $100 million just for agreeing to play along. Barely coherent word salad makes people throw dumptrucks of money through your windows.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Free Gratis posted:

LOL, what an idiot. Yeah it's lousy the company did that, but on the other hand he was getting to build personal connections to whales with poor impulse control. Flip those goobers into supporting your own patreon where you write whatever.

There are also people paying $20-$30 dollars a session (times 6 players) for a "professional" game master to run online games for them. https://startplaying.games/search?gameSystems=world-of-darkness If you're a writer with your name actually in the books you can probably leverage that into making more running games a few nights a week than you make writing the game.

When someone offers you whales you take them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

moths posted:

Many people who would have cared had already written off the NuWOD after the parade of V5's atrocities.

Because Jesus Christ V5 was a load of edgy alt-right bullshit.
Yeah, I'm not very interested in what they're selling in 5th edition. The 20th anniversary editions give me a relatively comprehensive corpus of slop to work with if I enjoy playing in these bounds, and the spaces where I do so are already developing modifications of the X20 books to suit online playspaces. What need have I for Revised Revised Revised: Now With AI Art?

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

LOL, what an idiot. Yeah it's lousy the company did that, but on the other hand he was getting to build personal connections to whales with poor impulse control. Flip those goobers into supporting your own patreon where you write whatever.

There are also people paying $20-$30 dollars a session (times 6 players) for a "professional" game master to run online games for them. https://startplaying.games/search?gameSystems=world-of-darkness If you're a writer with your name actually in the books you can probably leverage that into making more running games a few nights a week than you make writing the game.

oh for sure man the writer in question should have been deeply thankful to be paid in ~*exposure*~ instead of a reasonable wage for their work

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Facebook Aunt posted:

It actually sucks to be told to do a bunch of extra work that someone else got paid for but you didn't and won't. "Just grind harder" is rear end in a top hat advice.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Also as much as I think the vast bulk of this industry needs to just not be happening, I'm not pretending that getting to write cool, fun stuff for a property you enjoy is not a compelling motivation. These people are not stupid for wanting to do this stuff. And then it becomes a thing about power imbalance and "little extra things" that everyone ends up doing as part of their work. So complaining that you didn't have the energy or gumption to say "no" to this bullshit is not unreasonable.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I also think it's a huge leap in logic to assume people who paid for some dumb kickstarter stretch goal will be easily flippable into your elfgame paypigs and that this was just easy money left on the table. This hobby is infamous for being full of people who are the cheapest, most miserly skinflints alive. I highly doubt that it's actually that easy to turn paid GMing into a serious side-gig, even though we're now at a point where "paid GMing" isn't immediately dismissed as the crackpot idea that it used to be.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Kai Tave posted:

I also think it's a huge leap in logic to assume people who paid for some dumb kickstarter stretch goal will be easily flippable into your elfgame paypigs and that this was just easy money left on the table. This hobby is infamous for being full of people who are the cheapest, most miserly skinflints alive. I highly doubt that it's actually that easy to turn paid GMing into a serious side-gig, even though we're now at a point where "paid GMing" isn't immediately dismissed as the crackpot idea that it used to be.

in my experience, most people flame out of pro gming pretty quickly unless it's something they seriously want to do, it does change the calculation when you're running games for income rather than just to entertain yourself and your friends.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

you could not pay me enough to run games for randos whose sole linking quality was being able to drop thousands of dollars on a kickstarter without worrying

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ItohRespectArmy posted:

in my experience, most people flame out of pro gming pretty quickly unless it's something they seriously want to do, it does change the calculation when you're running games for income rather than just to entertain yourself and your friends.

I know a couple people who have managed to do this (the guy who runs the Interpoint discord server for Lancer is one example, for which he makes the princely sum of about $1500 a month) but by and large it strikes me as being in the same boat as telling someone "oh you play video games right? You should just make a living as a streamer, how hard can it be?"

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I managed to monetize my RPG hobby in a way I don't hate, and what it has largely led to is friends asking if they can and should do the same with their own hobbies, all "I like jigsaw puzzles, would people pay me to do those on a camera? Like you wouldn't see me, just the puzzle" and stuff. I generally just tell them exactly how long it took and how lucky I am overall and that I didn't set out for it to ever be a job.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Kai Tave posted:

I know a couple people who have managed to do this (the guy who runs the Interpoint discord server for Lancer is one example, for which he makes the princely sum of about $1500 a month) but by and large it strikes me as being in the same boat as telling someone "oh you play video games right? You should just make a living as a streamer, how hard can it be?"

Streaming is a really good metaphor for it tbh. Obviously it's a very fun and satisfying job when it goes right but it comes with stresses you wouldn't have to deal with normally. Having to bring tons of positivity and energy to your job every day can be really difficult. Not to mention having to juggle all the different personalities, lack of communication from people on what they actually want ect.

It takes a certain personality and attitude, rather than the ability to do a really good weekly campaign.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Can someone explain how on earth this can happen? Battletech Merceneries Kickstarter:

quote:

BattleTech Encounters
Catalyst GamesCreator
March 17, 2024

Hey backers,

This is Rem (Community & Marketing Director) stepping in for a moment to talk about BattleTech: Encounters. I found out about this yesterday, and it is important to all of us at Catalyst to communicate as quickly and transparently as we are able. To refresh your memory, Encounters is a dice game that was planned for future release, but we moved up production as a reward once reaching the $1 million stretch goal. Regiment backers and above will receive a free copy as part of fulfillment.

We had planned to release this after the Kickstarter fulfilled.

On Friday this week, a photo and link was sent to me showing that Encounters was in the wild at Barnes & Noble stores. I immediately asked the CGL team, and no one knew. After some back and forth, here is the context I got:

Our fulfillment agency and distributor has an exclusive relationship with Barnes & Noble. One of the only ways in the industry to get a game into B&N is to go through them. The distributor is constantly pitching games to them that they present from their warehouse stock. B&N has been incredibly happy with the results of having BattleTech in their stores, so when the distributor pitched a stand-alone game set in the world, they jumped. It is exceptionally rare to be accepted into B&N, so the distributor moved quickly. So quickly, that it seems they forgot to communicate with us at Catalyst.

Once a game is in the wild, it’s very hard to pull back. And the reach that B&N gives us to the next generation of BattleTech players that might not have found the hobby otherwise is exceedingly valuable to the future of this game. There is nothing we can do at this point about the B&N release.

However, we have made the decision that Catalyst will still not yet release via our store until after fulfillment. This may hurt our overall sales, as buyers seek it out at B&N, but it is important to us to honor our commitment to our backers as much as we are able. All backers will still receive their games as promised when we fulfill (we are still on track for June as of now).

Thank you all for your understanding, support, and patience. This is further proof that the reach of this game keeps exceeding ALL of our expectations.

Err what? The company that made the game got it released by "accident" by it's distributors? Who didn't tell them. Is this common in the games industry these days? This sounds like a huge stuff up but Catalyst is all fine with it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It is not common but street dates are broken commonly by big distributors because the warehouse guys don't give a poo poo. I've never heard of a situation exactly like this happening before though. It sounds like Catalyst had the product on hold but didn't leave special instructions not to ship.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Also it's CGL so there's very little reason to uncritically accept this version of events.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That Old Tree posted:

Also it's CGL so there's very little reason to uncritically accept this version of events.

They do feel like basically a weird money laundering scheme at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Knowing Catalyst they probably weren't paying their pallet rental and the warehouse seized their product in lieu of repayment.