Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

The difference between grabbed and restrained is that the player can still make attacks while grabbed as long as they make a flat 5 check while restrained limits doing any attacks?

I don't like when I roll the check as the GM instead of the player. Would make sense to have the PC roll athletics or acrobatics check against the monster's athletics DC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilgm
Dec 31, 2014

gurragadon posted:

The difference between grabbed and restrained is that the player can still make attacks while grabbed as long as they make a flat 5 check while restrained limits doing any attacks?

A Grabbed character is just Off-Guard and Immobilized, so they can do everything but Move, though anything with the Manipulation trait (mainly spellcasting) has a fail chance. It's basically someone holding onto a wrist or a leg, a nuisance but doesn't stop a lot of things a character might do in a fight.

A Restrained is also Off-Guard and Immobilized, but can't take any Attack or Manipulate actions except those that would let them try to Escape. It's a full-on proper wrestling hold, shutting down most things a character can do, especially one that doesn't have good Athletics or Acrobatics.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Note that you can always unarmed strike to Escape, even if you're not improving Acrobatics/Athletics.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
the risk of being restrained is counterbalanced by it taking an additional action away from the monster. condolences to squishy wizards being squeezed to death by snakes but that's what we sacrifice for progress

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

atelier morgan posted:

the risk of being restrained is counterbalanced by it taking an additional action away from the monster. condolences to squishy wizards being squeezed to death by snakes but that's what we sacrifice for progress

It always took an action, it's improved grab that did not (and still doesn't)

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

atelier morgan posted:

This happened to us monday during our Stolen Fate campaign and it ended with a half-party wipe because the snake had ridiculous modifiers and rolls so ended up crit-grabbing everything and everyone before swallowing.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
yeah the risk is counterbalanced by a chance of failure. i can see the argument that it's a bit of a win-more/lose-more scenario, though, because the higher a chance of failure, the less threatening a monster actually is, and therefore the less you mind being grabbed

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I like the change because I took Wrestler dedication which had an otherwise pretty drat useless bonus passive of +2 circumstance bonus to Fort DC when attempting to resist being Grappled or Swallowed Whole. Everything auto-grabbing made me very annoyed.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6siix?The-Godsrain-Prophecies-Part-Six

I don’t think many people were expecting that one to die anyway.

So, of the remaining 14, who do you think it will be? As I see it:

• Iomedae and the Prismatic Ray are too popular to die.
  • Irori and Gozreh aren’t interesting enough to be worth killing off.
  • Killing Rovagug would be anticlimactic for a being set up as basically the final boss of the universe. It would also likely lead to the gods interfering with Golarion more, which I think Paizo wants to avoid.
  • That leaves Torag, Abadar, Calistria, Gorum, Norgorber, Zon-Kuthon, and Lamashtu.

I lean towards either Torag or Zon-Kuthon.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Not sure rovagug would be anticlimactic considering how much effort they’re putting into this

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Silver2195 posted:

https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6siix?The-Godsrain-Prophecies-Part-Six

I don’t think many people were expecting that one to die anyway.

So, of the remaining 14, who do you think it will be? As I see it:

[list]
[*] Irori and Gozreh aren’t interesting enough to be worth killing off.

"Not interesting" is a great reason to remove a gameplay element and replace it with a more interesting gameplay element though.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
If Rovagug explodes into 25 horrific and incomprehensible aberrations it will have been worth it

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

SithDrummer posted:

If Rovagug explodes into 25 horrific and incomprehensible aberrations it will have been worth it

isn't rovagug already dozens of horrific and incomprehensible aberrations via the various spawn of rovagug?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
It's torag, it was torag as soon as they cleared pharasma. The core 20 are 20 because you have two per alignment with torag and pharasma as thirds of their respective alignments. there was also already a big dwarf lore sendoff adventure

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

atelier morgan posted:

isn't rovagug already dozens of horrific and incomprehensible aberrations via the various spawn of rovagug?
Yes but we need more. I need more. MORE

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mister Olympus posted:

It's torag, it was torag as soon as they cleared pharasma. The core 20 are 20 because you have two per alignment with torag and pharasma as thirds of their respective alignments. there was also already a big dwarf lore sendoff adventure

Yeah it has never been more obvious than Torag, and it's not a bad thing that it's obviously Torag.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Also Torag's son Trudd is right there to take over for him.

I still maintain that the actual death will be us, the players though.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Clerical Terrors posted:

Also Torag's son Trudd is right there to take over for him.

I still maintain that the actual death will be us, the players though.

I do not think Paizo will kill off their customers.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

torag would be boring and stupid and disappointing

Evilgm
Dec 31, 2014

sugar free jazz posted:

torag would be boring and stupid and disappointing

I'm sure each choice has people that feel that way.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Every time a specific player in my campaign chooses to end turn early and leave an action or two on the table, I die a little more inside.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Every time a specific player in my campaign chooses to end turn early and leave an action or two on the table, I die a little more inside.

Yeah, same here.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Hellioning posted:

I do not think Paizo will kill off their customers.

Cowards.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I feel this.
I have a friend who likes to make deliberately bad choices and claiming it's in character because he's a hermit barbarian.

But he's a level 10 barbarian who has 14 points INT and does alchemy on the side. Been living with the group for 10 levels. So there's no reason for his character to be that dumb except when he's raging and when he's raging he absolutely spams moment of clarity to do stupid poo poo. Tried twice to demoralize a pair of 'ghosts' (it was an illusion) with his +1 CHA. He doesn't have the feet this was a moment of clarity two actions to demoralize on each of the turns. Didn't seem to notice that there were two of them acting like they were a single creature sharing a single space and his teammates repeatedly commenting in character that he was fighting nothing, probably because he was looking at his phone during our turns.

The GM spent a lot of time after that session trying to explain to him that he should be trying to play well and coming up with a roleplay excuse for why instead of playing deliberately poorly and calling it roleplay

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 15, 2024

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

I feel this.
I have a friend who likes to make deliberately bad choices and claiming it's in character because he's a hermit barbarian.

Oh god, it's the same thing here, "it's what my character would do". Agghhhh.

I don't know if the GM is going to take it up with her though since they're in a relationship. :sweatdrop:

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

We have a barbarian like that in the group I GM also. He's the only character with a reactive strike and the group will set up situations where the enemy is forced into one but he's on his phone and isn't paying attention. I try to say loudly a couple times "the monster stands up" or some other way to indicate that he can take the attack but he's on his phone.

I don't like to punish him by not letting him have it because I kind of get it. The game is a lot less interactive when you aren't GM and there is a bunch of downtime. At the same time, I don't want to play his character for him. Usually, someone in the group knows whats up and prompts him but he's missed 4 or 5 of them.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I love this guy but when he started whining to the GM that he needed a special bonus because of all the time he spent unconscious I absolutely saw red.

It's like you're an animal barbarian who shifts into animal form to increase your AC and HP and you didn't stay in it and/or ran in alone and/or made no effort to avoid reactive strikes. Of course you went down.

If you don't want to rage out and spam attacks, don't select the barbarian class. If you want to throw chemical select the specialty that thinks magic is evil instead of the one that deliberately gets rid of its hands

This isn't even starting on all of the trash rear end attempts to throw tangle foot bags at +3 enemies.

E:

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I don't know if the GM is going to take it up with her though since they're in a relationship. :sweatdrop:

The rest of the team can abandon her, in-character because, it's just "what they would do" if they had an ally that did not participate in combat. It's also what my character is going to propose if the barbarian can't get his poo poo together

If you aren't exhibiting growth and learning from mistakes are you even really role playing?

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 15, 2024

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Looks like Paizo has updated the beginner box to include all the remaster changes.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

gurragadon posted:

I don't like to punish him by not letting him have it because I kind of get it. The game is a lot less interactive when you aren't GM and there is a bunch of downtime. At the same time, I don't want to play his character for him. Usually, someone in the group knows whats up and prompts him but he's missed 4 or 5 of them.
Counterpoint: that's literally why reactions like that exist: so that you pay more attention if it's not your turn.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

gurragadon posted:

We have a barbarian like that in the group I GM also. He's the only character with a reactive strike and the group will set up situations where the enemy is forced into one but he's on his phone and isn't paying attention. I try to say loudly a couple times "the monster stands up" or some other way to indicate that he can take the attack but he's on his phone.

I have gotten better results just asking them as a prompt. "The bandit is shooting into melee, do you take a reactive strike?". Or alternatively if they're taking a ton of damage "do you have any reactions you would like to use?" It keeps the game moving for a lot of basic stuff like that and I don't need to worry about doing a retcon later, and if they do say yes I don't need to worry about them for the rest of the round until they get stuff that gives them extra reactive strikes or something.

For abilities and stuff that I'm not aware of though that's on them if they miss their chance.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Maybe I'm an rear end in a top hat but I would have a huge problem with anyone playing around on their phone during a session, especially if they are just totally checked out to the point that they are not aware of anything except their own turn, requiring the other players to pay attention on their behalf.

The situation is more understandable if you have an exceptionally large group or very slow players who take 20 minutes to complete a round of combat, but I feel like the solution there is to look for ways to help accelerate people's turns or institute a time limit or something if it's really egregious. Almost anything is better than coddling a single player who is just signaling that they don't want to be there. People's attention spans are already cooked enough as it is, if you're making the effort of physically getting together to play games, there is an expectation that you should also try be present mentally.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 15, 2024

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

3 Action Economist posted:

Looks like Paizo has updated the beginner box to include all the remaster changes.

Does that mean the Drow and Green Dragon are gone?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Does the pawn collection for Abomination Vaults actually exist? Or is it just some elaborate hoax? Because I can not find an online store that actually has any in stock to save my life, not even Amazon or eBay and the like.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Ugh.

The party is staying in the compound of a rich merchant while doing a job for him. They've stayed with him several nights in a row with never a mention of taking any precautions because it's litterally as safe a place to sleep as possible. Until the bad guy sends an Animate Dream (spoilers) after them.

Level 7 and it's the first time they've ever been attacked at night. As we roll for initiative I remind the paladin that he can't sleep in his plate armor, but he can sleep in his gambeson if he wants to, so he can use the padded armor stats if he did that. He decides that "what his character would do" in this situation is barricade the door with his bed before he gets into his PJs. Okay sure. Since it's a rich guy's house everybody has their own room. Except the monk, who "well, actually"s that his humble character is sleeping out in the stables. Fine. I I say the stables are close to the guest quarters and with his 40 feet/action movement he can get onto the edge of the battle map in one round.

Roll a d4 and the monster randomly attacks the Sorceress first. Great, she doesn't even use armor or weapons, so she is able to react fast. But she doesn't scream for help, because she's not the kind of girl who screams for help. :rolleyes:

Everyone is in initiative, and the other guys decide that there was enough noise to wake them up. Except the paladin, who decides he didn't hear a thing and continues sleeping. The next round things get noisy. The sorceress is now Confused and attacking her own leopard as the monster moves on to the next room. The paladin rolls a die and says he's still asleep. The monk failed a check and is now Fleeing (120 feet) for one round.

Finally 3 rounds in he decides he's waking up. But now he's trapped in his room behind his barricaded door. He has to get out of bed, pick up his weapon and his fortress shield, move the bed, and finally open the door so he's not actually in the fight until round 5.

Guys this is a challenging encounter. You don't need to make the fight harder. Stop shooting yourselves in the foot.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is there a rule to cool aid man through a wall? He thought it was something like burst through or break through. Instead of the stats for attacking a wall apparently he can just do an athletic check to go through. I couldn't find it, but I'm a newbie so instead of stopping the game I set a high dc and went with it. But if the rule exists I'd like to find it before next session or he'll never use a doorway again.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

Is there a rule to cool aid man through a wall? He thought it was something like burst through or break through. Instead of the stats for attacking a wall apparently he can just do an athletic check to go through. I couldn't find it, but I'm a newbie so instead of stopping the game I set a high dc and went with it. But if the rule exists I'd like to find it before next session or he'll never use a doorway again.

https://2e.aonprd.com/Actions.aspx?ID=2375&Redirected=1

Force Open is your rule here. You'll want to set an appropriately low or high DC depending on what the PC is trying to charge through.

Some example DCs the Core Rulebook gives are:

Stuck door or window - DC15 (Trained)
As above, but exceptionally stuck - DC20 (Expert)
Lift a wooden portcullis - DC20 (Expert)
Lift an iron portcullis - DC30 (Master)
Bend metal bars - DC30 (Master)

For something like a solid stone wall, I'd set a DC 40 (Legendary) or so to start because it's a goddamn stone wall and busting through would be a legendary feat - and then adjust up or down depending on the target wall's construction using the Adjusting Difficulty chart here: https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=2630

Magically reinforced stone, for example, would probably make Koolaiding through incredibly hard and add a +10 to that DC40 for a target DC50.

I hope that explained the mechanic.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

the_steve posted:

Does the pawn collection for Abomination Vaults actually exist? Or is it just some elaborate hoax? Because I can not find an online store that actually has any in stock to save my life, not even Amazon or eBay and the like.

As I understand it, the changes in general shipping and cardstock production and so on during the pandemic mean pawn collections are no longer worth it to produce. That's why they stopped making pawn collections for new adventure paths, and it's why there are now a finite amount of Abomination Vault pawn collections that are being slowly bought out from online stores.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Force Open is your rule here. You'll want to set an appropriately low or high DC depending on what the PC is trying to charge through.

TIL that the Kool-Aid Man is Legendary in Athletics

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ZZT the Fifth posted:

https://2e.aonprd.com/Actions.aspx?ID=2375&Redirected=1

Cool, thanks. 40 was the random dc I picked! I was hoping it was a dumb third party rule though.

It's so silly. "Okay this is a really complex lock so it's going to 4 successes on a DC 30 thievery check. Or I guess the fighter can make a single DC 30 athletics check instead."

Arrrthritis posted:

TIL that the Kool-Aid Man is Legendary in Athletics

Oh yeah.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Facebook Aunt posted:

Cool, thanks. 40 was the random dc I picked! I was hoping it was a dumb third party rule though.

It's so silly. "Okay this is a really complex lock so it's going to 4 successes on a DC 30 thievery check. Or I guess the fighter can make a single DC 30 athletics check instead."

To be fair, there's a bit of difference between "carefully disabling the lock and not leaving any evidence, leaving the door intact, etc." and "kool-aid manning your way in with maximum bombast and zero regard for stealth" :v: