Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Is there a reason why this week has been a major travel week in the northeast? Something I've been noticing is a lot of people traveling. Isn't it still a few weeks until Easter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

A lot of colleges schedule spring break for this week.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Why doesn't Netflix have a 1.5x watch speed option for TVs? Is there a workaround for this? I've basically normalized watching stuff at 1.5-2x speed and it's turned me off of watching TV because of how slow it feels. I've got a backlog of movies and TV shows I want to watch but I can't deal with the irritation of sitting for an hour. Currently watching a movie on my PC because I can do so at 1.5x speed whilst the TV sits idle.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Probably because there's no money to be made implementing a feature that an infinitesimal portion of its hundreds of millions of subscribers would ever want, much less drop their subscription over.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Human Tornada posted:

Probably because there's no money to be made implementing a feature that an infinitesimal portion of its hundreds of millions of subscribers would ever want, much less drop their subscription over.

They offer it on their web browser version :shrug:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I don’t have an answer but this is deeply disturbing

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Qubee posted:

Why doesn't Netflix have a 1.5x watch speed option for TVs? Is there a workaround for this? I've basically normalized watching stuff at 1.5-2x speed and it's turned me off of watching TV because of how slow it feels. I've got a backlog of movies and TV shows I want to watch but I can't deal with the irritation of sitting for an hour. Currently watching a movie on my PC because I can do so at 1.5x speed whilst the TV sits idle.

We used to ban people for posts like this

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I don’t have an answer but this is deeply disturbing

Don't knock it til you try it. Work eats up so much of your life, free time is extremely valuable. I'd rather watch 2 episodes of a show I enjoy in the span of an hour than to take up two hours of my already limited evening.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

That's like saying reading the Wikipedia plot summary for a book so you can read it in 5 minutes is better for your time than actually reading the book

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Qubee posted:

This is sicko behavior.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You can try installing the mobile phone version of the app.

Here's a random guide on how to sideload apps.
https://beebom.com/run-incompatible-android-apps-android-tv/

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I watch a lot of fairly slow-paced stuff on YouTube on 1.5x or 1.75x speed. Especially stuff where a narrator is explaining something, they tend to speak slowly and clearly, and are perfectly intelligible at much faster speeds. This is more "why watch a 15 minute video explaining a topic when it could be 10 minutes" territory though, and there's no concern over messing up dramatic pacing or anything like that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Honestly a lot of netflix shows are probably so poorly paced that I could see someone speeding them up but that says more about the shows than anything else

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Everyone boo this man!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

And Jesus wept, for he could not show them the way to true enlightenment (this is a joke, please don't think I actually see myself as a Time Prophet. I am also a firm believer that everyone should get to do what they enjoy most, as long as it doesn't harm anyone else, so carry on at 1x speed my friends)

As an aside, it would be sacrilege to do this with something like Dune, you can bet your rear end I watched that the way it was meant to be watched. However, most TV and film these days are not masterworks of art so binge watching them in half the time is fine. Same with a lot of the crap on youtube these days. Nothing of value is lost, but everything is gained when you blast through them in half the time.

Paladinus posted:

You can try installing the mobile phone version of the app.

Here's a random guide on how to sideload apps.
https://beebom.com/run-incompatible-android-apps-android-tv/

Thanks, I'll give this a go!

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Is there any way to coat glass with the same thing mirrored sunglasses have? So the glass is reflective on one side and dark on the other?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

ultrafilter posted:

A lot of colleges schedule spring break for this week.

That explains the deluge of crowded theme park videos appearing all over the place.

mystes
May 31, 2006

NotNut posted:

Is there any way to coat glass with the same thing mirrored sunglasses have? So the glass is reflective on one side and dark on the other?
Isn't that just a one-way mirror?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

mystes posted:

Isn't that just a one-way mirror?

Maybe? Is there a way to make your own glass into a one-way mirror then?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Qubee posted:

As an aside, it would be sacrilege to do this with something like Dune, you can bet your rear end I watched that the way it was meant to be watched. However, most TV and film these days are not masterworks of art so binge watching them in half the time is fine. Same with a lot of the crap on youtube these days. Nothing of value is lost, but everything is gained when you blast through them in half the time.

You could just not watch the drivel instead of worrying about how to consume twice as much of it in the same amount of time.

mystes
May 31, 2006

NotNut posted:

Maybe? Is there a way to make your own glass into a one-way mirror then?
I think mirror sunglasses and real one way mirrors use a thin film of metal deposited on the glass, which is not something you can do yourself, but you should be able to get some sort of window privacy film that will have roughly the same effect, albeit maybe not with as good optical characteristics. However, like a one way mirror, the effect will rely on the space on one side being kept darker.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

One-way mirrors don't really exist. They are partial see-through from both sides. To make it seem one-way, the room that sees itself mirrored is very bright and the other one is in almost complete darkness.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Carbon dioxide posted:

One-way mirrors don't really exist. They are partial see-through from both sides. To make it seem one-way, the room that sees itself mirrored is very bright and the other one is in almost complete darkness.

There's definitely some kind of coating or process that can make glass or plastic shiny and reflective on one side while making it matte and dark on the other, though.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Qubee posted:

Don't knock it til you try it. Work eats up so much of your life, free time is extremely valuable. I'd rather watch 2 episodes of a show I enjoy in the span of an hour than to take up two hours of my already limited evening.

i mean it is of course your right to watch stuff however you want to watch it, but when you then say "and nothing of value was lost" about doing so, thats a pretty insulting attitude towards the work of a ton of people involved in what you are watching

as someone else suggested, why not just watch things where you actually appreciate the acting and music and sound design and cinematography etc as the artists involved intented instead of just trying to cram as much "content" into your head as fast as possible by missing/distorting many parts of what makes it what it is? do you really only care about story/plot elements and nothing else?

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 17, 2024

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I support the Netflix sicko and his deeply weird behaviour

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The real issue is the brain poisoning of trying to maximise the efficiency of your downtime. Your downtime should be without goals or deadlines or whatever, it's about having moments where you don't have to do anything, not about how much enjoyable activity you can do. Very rarely, I'm bored and don't really have anything to do and it loving owns so hard.

Disclaimer: I have small children, a house and am not divorced. There's way too much work to do.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Leave the guy alone. It’s perfectly normal nowadays to play long winded things whether they are podcasts, youtube videos or audiobooks at high speed and I see no reason why Hollywood should get a pass. If your brain needs a break from high speed all you need to do is turn it down. And everyone, please remember to be kind.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
it's reasonable for like an informational or instructional video where you're watching it for some greater instrumental purpose and you just want to achieve that end goal faster

but the whole point of watching a tv show is wasting time, if you feel the need to save time by speeding it up you've misunderstood the whole thing and probably shouldn't have watched it in the first place.
it's a symptom of like viewing shows/movies in an instrumental mechanical way where you only want to watch them for the sake of finishing them (maybe to post about online or just to say that you did) and not to enjoy the experience of watching for its own sake
and at that point you should seriously reconsider whether you actually want to watch the thing in the first place or whether you're just doing it outta some kinda completionism or social pressure brainworms

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it's a symptom of like viewing shows/movies in an instrumental mechanical way where you only want to watch them for the sake of finishing them (maybe to post about online or just to say that you did)

But that's the only reason people watch television. If they wanted to enjoy themselves they'd take up gardening or birdwatching.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Who gives a drat, let the guy enjoy stuff in his own weird way.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hyperlynx posted:

no one is stopping him from doing anything at all :confused:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

no one is stopping him from doing anything at all :confused:

They're being really loving judgy about it though.

:v: "I want to do X"
:byodood: "Ew, why would you want that?! You sicko"
:v: "Because of reasons"
:byodood: "Well, uh, you do you. Weirdo. You should really not do that though."

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

They're being really loving judgy about it though.

:v: "I want to do X"
:byodood: "Ew, why would you want that?! You sicko"
:v: "Because of reasons"
:byodood: "Well, uh, you do you. Weirdo. You should really not do that though."

watching a piece of art or media in a manner that skips a ton of the work involved and then proclaiming "nothing of value was lost" seems just as judgy but ok

again the guy can watch whatever he wants however he wants but if he's going to make value judgements like that other people get to make their own too

i will say tho that its pretty useless and absurd calling anyone "weird" in a place like this, we're all pretty drat weird here

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 17, 2024

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Earwicker posted:

watching a piece of art or media in a manner that skips a ton of the work involved and then proclaiming "nothing of value was lost" seems just as judgy but ok

again the guy can watch whatever he wants however he wants but if he's going to make value judgements like that other people get to make their own too

i will say tho that its pretty useless and absurd calling anyone "weird" in a place like this, we're all pretty drat weird here

I must have missed the post where that judgement was made.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
If this was a thread about media criticism then I think it would be pretty good to dunk on the guy for a hundred posts or whatever but i kinda feel like it's not really worth the derail in this particular thread.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

You admit to doing something extremely weird and ask for advice on how to do it even more, you're probably going to get lightly razzed for it. That's life.

The mewling over light-hearted jabs and differences of opinion is very strange to me.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

I'm going to die on the "watching TV shows at 1.5x is sicko behavior" hill precisely because it doesn't actually matter. It's refreshingly low stakes.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

what about watching tv shows at 0.5x speed and adding some reverb

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I prefer my TV shows chopped and screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Art hits people in different ways. I have a friend that doesn't listen to music.