Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
in the new Blues Brothers reboot, we explore the various childhood traumas and depravations that led Elwood to have such an abiding obsession with the blues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mozi posted:

in the new Blues Brothers reboot, we explore the various childhood traumas and depravations that led Elwood to have such an abiding obsession with the blues

And dry white toast. How could the original movie be so stupid to just totally ignore why he only eats dry white toast.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Aretha’s version of “Think” in blues brothers loving rips. Seeing that in a repertory theatre blew my preteen mind and got me into a whole new bunch of music. Also the Ray Charles banger. Just a classic film for both the comedic elements and the music.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

priznat posted:

Aretha’s version of “Think” in blues brothers loving rips. Seeing that in a repertory theatre blew my preteen mind and got me into a whole new bunch of music. Also the Ray Charles banger. Just a classic film for both the comedic elements and the music.

That's the secret sauce for the movie, right? The movie already had comic legends starring in it and directing, which was nothing new then and now. But then you add in absolutely amazing performances by GOAT tier musicians, and you have an all-timer. The movie is absolutely a musical and the funny bits are just there to move us from song to song.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

That's the secret sauce for the movie, right? The movie already had comic legends starring in it and directing, which was nothing new then and now. But then you add in absolutely amazing performances by GOAT tier musicians, and you have an all-timer. In a way the movie is ABOUT those performances and the funny poo poo is just the connective tissue between the songs. Kinda like how Indiana Jones is really just a bunch of action set pieces with some narrative to bring you from one piece to another.

Yeah for sure, it’s absolutely a musical showcase for acts that Akroyd and Belushi love. And to give big ups to the supporting crew forming the band who may not normally have been that well known. It got me looking into their stuff and became a big fan of Donald Dunn’s stuff which led me to Booker T and the MGs, Sam & Dave etc. Also John Lee Hooker! Holy cow what an ensemble in that film.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

new film is just called Blues Brothers and has a cgi john belushi with a de-aged dan aykroyd and a new crew of 4 blues children who follow in the footsteps of their uncles, elwood and jake

edit
or more likely, Blues Sisters that is a corporate, cynical film with a milquetoast, outdated, and not actually feminist message

Hackers film 1995 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 16, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hackers film 1995 posted:

new film is just called Blues Brothers and has a cgi john belushi with a de-aged dan aykroyd and a new crew of 4 blues children who follow in the footsteps of their uncles, elwood and jake

Here is 200 million. Make it happen

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Vakal posted:

I like the music in Blue Brothers 2000, everything else is mediocre at best.

:same:

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

And yeah, blues brothers is like big Lebowski in that it’s funny, endlessly quotable, and endlessly rewatchable. The first watch you’re just like “what is happening” but the momentum carries it. Best SNL movie by a mile

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

edit
or more likely, Blues Sisters that is a corporate, cynical film with a milquetoast, outdated, and not actually feminist message

Sony is spending 200 million advertise it.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

When it underperforms, it’ll be used for the next decade as Hollywood’s reason they don’t make movies staring women

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

I think that Blues Brothers 2000 still holds the record for single largest car crash pileup in film. Maybe not most cars destroyed in filming but certainly in one go. 105 cars destroyed in the film and the majority of them in this single scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDEFL2fLGIE

Don't watch Blues Brothers 2000. Aside from the music and said car crash, it's pretty lame.

Yeah, I haven't watched it twice but I remember some of the musical bits kicking rear end

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I love how Blues Brothers goes into absurdity like the end of the nazi car chase all of a sudden the Nazi wagon is at the height of the sears tower after going off an unfinished highway ramp.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But Blues Brothers 1980 is an all-time classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUUyFrHERpU

Three minute long scene that is nothing but John Lee Hooker killing it while the cameramen chill around the Maxwell Street Market and its awesome.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i was just thinking about “old” rlm posters and was wondering “what ever happened to stephenthinkpad“ and then suddenly there they were

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

i was just thinking about “old” rlm posters and was wondering “what ever happened to stephenthinkpad“ and then suddenly there they were

Wonder about glistening hodor next and maybe he’ll reappear too! :sigh:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Arc Hammer posted:

I think that Blues Brothers 2000 still holds the record for single largest car crash pileup in film. Maybe not most cars destroyed in filming but certainly in one go. 105 cars destroyed in the film and the majority of them in this single scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDEFL2fLGIE

Don't watch Blues Brothers 2000. Aside from the music and said car crash, it's pretty lame.

There's a random small child in that movie that isn't related to any of the characters. They just kidnap a random kid and stuff him in the trunk of their car and he shows up to do a dance number now and then. He barely has any spoken lines.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Frank Frank posted:

There's a random small child in that movie that isn't related to any of the characters. They just kidnap a random kid and stuff him in the trunk of their car and he shows up to do a dance number now and then. He barely has any spoken lines.

the more i hear about blues brothers 2000 the better it sounds

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Dr. Thoss posted:

[b]1. Escape From Area 51

2. Fatal Exam

Escape From Area 51 is what you want to frustrate your B-movie loving friends. Modern low budget nonsense on purpose buuuuut it does have the alien menace Sklarr who lights up the screen.

Fatal Exam's an odd one but still a weird enough haunted house movie. Bit slow to get rolling but by act 2 you're hooked. Sadly act 3 and the final payoff are so mangled it lets you down. Characters come and go only to move the plot along in between fun haunted house segments. Still highly recommend though.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

One day just wanted to take some breaks from scripted shows and movies.

Recently watched the faithful adaptation of old tintin show with son and kind of got me back into adventure stories.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Press junket for The Blues Brothers (2025) assures us that it'll get rated a hard R and emphasizes all its practical effects, but all the Nazis get edited out after Twitter trolls doxxed the producers and the Ghost Riders In The Sky effects end up being CGI

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

hemale in pain posted:

the more i hear about blues brothers 2000 the better it sounds

It is extremely bad and absolutely not worth watching but it has a pretty hilarious scene-chewing appearance by Erykah Badu who plays some sort of voodoo queen who turns Nazis into frogs or snakes or some poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought they were Soviet mobsters in 2000 rather than Illinois Nazis.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

blues brothers 2000 had a dogshit video game on the n64

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

To be fair, that describes every movie tie in game in the n64 except for goldeneye

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

LookieLoo posted:

Yeah, I haven't watched it twice but I remember some of the musical bits kicking rear end

Frank Frank posted:

Frank Frank posted:

it has a pretty hilarious scene-chewing appearance by Erykah Badu who plays some sort of voodoo queen who turns Nazis into frogs or snakes or some poo poo.

Space Jam posted:

I'm going to watch the blues brothers 2000 now.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Space Jam posted:

best blue brothers appearance in a video game was their cameo in Space Quest 4.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

its all nice on rice posted:

DUNC 2: Bucket Fuckers was a good imax experience. Zendaya does a convincing job of looking disappointed. Those worms go hard. Wanted to see a CGI, toddler, Anya Taylor-Joy stab the Baron like in the book but that's fine. Wondering how much liver Austin Butler ate for his method acting.

Never much cared for the DUNC sand worm design. Partly because beaks look cooler (though I can imagine they might've changed it due to graboids or other properties stealing the look) partly because I saw fan art some years back where the sand worms had the look of cooled/cooling magma so they bridged the gap between organism and terrain due to their sheer mass.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Not that it's binding, but the Dune RTS games have always went with more toothy design as well.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That's a combo I think - some of the old art had beaks with the teeth as a sort of baleen inside which is what that seems to be aping. The magma fan art I posted about has a tri-part beak with teeth inside as well.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 16, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

poisonpill posted:

To be fair, that describes every movie tie in game in the n64 except for goldeneye

Podracer was on N64, cretin.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
this almost accidentally crosses the line into brechtian

like it feels less like the chase scenes in the original and more like andy samberg falling down the hill in hot rod, where the joke becomes "yes, we actually included this many shots for this one dumb joke, way passed the point of believability" but it doesn't feel intentional, it feels like they were on pure caveman brain "launch more cars!! :woop:"

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Arc Hammer posted:

I thought they were Soviet mobsters in 2000 rather than Illinois Nazis.

I watched it something like 20 years ago while drunk so I’m pretty surprised I remember anything about it at all

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
I watched Citizen Kane last night and while I enjoyed it, I wasn't wowed by it. I assume this is because it was a pioneering movie that did a bunch of poo poo no one else had done up until then. I think it would be like a young person watching The Matrix for the first time. Or maybe I'm just dumb as poo poo??

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Citizen Kane is fine but can I interest you in this little thing called The Phantom Menace?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
it's no metroid prime, that's for sure

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I tried watching blue's brothers once but was disappointed by how blue things were. They promised me blue man group action and give me b tier former SNL cast doing who knows what.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cubone posted:

it's no metroid prime, that's for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

stephenthinkpad posted:

Outside of the car stunts, the most insane thing is they randomly blew up side of a building for a gag. It's like a loving die hard explosion.

It was a model comped in behind a matte painting plate of the left side of the cars and the L train. You can see the matte lines a bit easier on repeat viewings, and particularly on the yellow car you can see how the back of the car moves with the explosion, but the left side of the car remains stock still, so the halves become slightly unaligned.

https://i.imgur.com/ImxiYq8.mp4