Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Invalid Validation posted:

There’s plenty of appetite for MCU movies. Guardians 3 made almost a billion dollars, you just kinda have to make good movies that people wanna see. That and probably quit spending hundreds of millions of dollars on bad CGI/reshoots.

100%. I wish Disney (and most other studios right now) and really give a hard look at how they're making these movies on top of what they're making. They keep doing a lot of the same things over and over and expecting different results.

The content of The Marvels was only a small part of its problem. The fact that somehow they figured out a way to spend drat near $275 million should be the much bigger red flag that Disney tries to correct moving forward. There is no reason whatsoever that a non-Avengers movie should have an Avengers-level budget.

Then again, that particular budget was so outrageous that I really wondered if someone was embezzling the money and writing off silly personal poo poo as essential costs or something. Which literally did happen with that Netflix 47 Ronin movie. Budget went out of control and it turned out the director was buying cars and Dogecoin for himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

counterfeitsaint posted:

Sorry, the last couple of shows and movies just weren't very good, and people have been watching this stuff for over 15 years now. I think that has a lot more to do with the lagging numbers than your online boogeyman.

Oh, "my" "online" "boogeyman," huh.

Look man, there are enough of those morons out there to have an effect on ticket sales, especially when paired with the fact that there's likely a huge overlap with the same crowd that likes stuff regardless of quality.

We'll see if I'm right about that overlap when/if Disney rights the ship, but Iger is clearly considering these people with his recent MDGA moves.

These morons have effectively affected the CEO of Disney and his business decisions. Never underestimate morons.

Of course, I'd absolutely love to be wrong here!

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Deadpool and Daredevil are the only things announced starring white guys.

I wonder what the recent news means for Young Avengers, since they set it up as a follow-up to the two movies that had hypothetical sequels shot down.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 15, 2024

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Look man, there are enough of those morons out there to have an effect on ticket sales, especially when paired with the fact that there's likely a huge overlap with the same crowd that likes stuff regardless of quality.

We'll see if I'm right about that overlap when/if Disney rights the ship, but Iger is clearly considering these people with his recent MDGA moves.

These morons have effectively affected the CEO of Disney and his business decisions. Never underestimate morons.

Of course, I'd absolutely love to be wrong here!

Yes, your online boogeyman.

You just skipped over a full page of posts to respond to me, almost every single one is a different goon talking about why they're not as interested in the MCU as they used to be. Are we all part of the elaborate 4d chess scheme to attack the trillion dollar company in the name of anti-wokeness? Are we all secret chuds who are just here to deny you your comic book movies in the name of the patriarchy?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yeah, this really took me out of the story too. Not only is there a giant continent size hand sticking out of the ocean, but also an alien bigger than the whole planet appeared, seemed to have a brief conversation with someone, and then just hosed off. And yet no one, anywhere, has found any of this things interesting or noteworthy enough to bring up in conversation ever since, and everyone is just carrying on like none of it happened. Which, to be fair, is probably the best response because what else are you going to do? But it seems like the whole planet is just wearing blinders now and trying their best to ignore the constantly escalating madness they seem to be sliding into, which could be an interesting story itself, but none of the shows want to address it.

I see this criticism everywhere and I don’t get it. I thought the whole appeal of the MCU was that its more of an authentic feeling comic book setting, away from the 2000’s comic book movies that were very much trying to put a single super hero in the real world, and so nobody believes spider man exists or the villai is wearing a crazy outfit.r. I’m not explaining it well, but you know what I’m getting at.

Anyway my point is that something mind-meltingly insane happening and then nobody mentioning it unless it’s plot relevant feels very in the flavour of the comic book source materia. In the comics regular people witness something existentially crazy like every other day.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

The 90mins movie would help but that’s certainly not an MCU thing.

live with fruit posted:

They went from 23 movies in eleven years to 23 movies and shows in three. People are burnt out.

This is the problem. I’d watched every Marvel movie at the cinema up to Ant-Man (which was in 3D remember that?) and as well as enjoying the movies part of the draw was definitely to see where it went. I can remember getting all excited at seeing Stark on the side of some big rockets in The Hulk - my SO at the time having no idea what I was on about. This climaxed with Avengers and that moved onto the infinity stones and Thanos being very clearly central to everything.

Since Endgame everything is all over the place with no clear thread linking anything, even when building up to Kang and the multiverse this is only really explicit in Ant Man 3 (and lucky Marvel in this case).

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

We watched all the movies within the past couple months to show it to the kids and after the second avengers movie it’s like 3 movies a year and that’s too much. People probably got burnt out but more importantly I think they just don’t have enough resources to spread around for that much output. Which obviously was a problem cause they had to shut everything down due to all the embarrassingly high production costs they’ve been incurring.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The Grumbles posted:

I see this criticism everywhere and I don’t get it. I thought the whole appeal of the MCU was that its more of an authentic feeling comic book setting, away from the 2000’s comic book movies that were very much trying to put a single super hero in the real world, and so nobody believes spider man exists or the villai is wearing a crazy outfit.r. I’m not explaining it well, but you know what I’m getting at.

Anyway my point is that something mind-meltingly insane happening and then nobody mentioning it unless it’s plot relevant feels very in the flavour of the comic book source materia. In the comics regular people witness something existentially crazy like every other day.

I don't really see a difference between the original X-Men and Spider-Man, which have big smash up fights in public that people witness, and the Earth-based stuff in the Infinity Saga.

And even then, they try to explain the fantastical stuff, like Wakanda and Talokan and how no one knows about it, but I don't recall them getting into how no one knew there was a giant alien incubating in the core.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 15, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Marvels just casually has this big interstellar travel network which also comes and goes from Earth but has never come up as a thing that general humans know about. Yes I know that the network is from the Guardians movies.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Marvels just casually has this big interstellar travel network which also comes and goes from Earth but has never come up as a thing that general humans know about. Yes I know that the network is from the Guardians movies.

Isn't that only known to SWORD/SHIELD or whatever, though, since it's in space? That's a bit different than a massive continent showing up and no one giving a poo poo.

Keep in mind, I don't really care, because I'd rather forget Eternals happened, but that plot point is a little weird. But rumor is that it's going to be "a thing" in Thunderbolts.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 15, 2024

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Fury posted:

That's classified

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023

The Grumbles posted:

I think this is a big part of it. The problem is, after Endgame, the whole world should be a big quvvering wreck of PTSD. There should be all sorts of social problems, governments falling left and right, society should be a real decade long mess.

Thing is, I get the MCU isn't the place for that sort of tone, but if you don't go there you also just undercut everything that you just showed. And then why should anyone get invested. So people just now take each film on its own merits, and the whole thing of the MCU where each film sells the next sorta falls apart.

10 years ago, they could use the fact you enjoyed Iron Man to sell you on that weird film with the cartoon racoon and the tree man. That doesn't really work now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DavidCameronsPig posted:

I think this is a big part of it. The problem is, after Endgame, the whole world should be a big quvvering wreck of PTSD. There should be all sorts of social problems, governments falling left and right, society should be a real decade long mess.

Thing is, I get the MCU isn't the place for that sort of tone, but if you don't go there you also just undercut everything that you just showed. And then why should anyone get invested. So people just now take each film on its own merits, and the whole thing of the MCU where each film sells the next sorta falls apart.

10 years ago, they could use the fact you enjoyed Iron Man to sell you on that weird film with the cartoon racoon and the tree man. That doesn't really work now.
Well and they kind of did go into that with things like FATWS, but even then it was like a very small look and nothing since then.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it

i've only just realised that wolverine shouts "meow" angrily and always did.

Zoobtro fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 16, 2024

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well and they kind of did go into that with things like FATWS, but even then it was like a very small look and nothing since then.

It's the new stuff that's ignoring it. They get into either the Snap or what happened to the heroes in Infinity War/Endgame in their sequels/spinoffs but in Eternals, Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel, etc. there's really just passing mentions.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

DavidCameronsPig posted:

*my shameless taking of bullets for the phase 5 plot that no one asked for or wanted*
2020 World events were giving us all PTSD in real time. I think some of the sad stuff got cut along with the virus plot from FatWS.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

FlamingLiberal posted:

And it wasn’t exactly their fault, but the ramifications of Snap happening at the same time that people were hunkered down in pandemic mode… well, it just felt all a bit hollow in comparison

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

For real. Where do these people think Trump came from? Holy poo poo, the blinders on people.

Sometimes it feels like they think anything anybody says on the internet doesn't count, or is indicative in no way of their character, which explains how they post.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Doronin posted:

Budget went out of control and it turned out the director was buying cars and Dogecoin for himself.

Never, ever give someone who's into crypto any money, ever.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

twistedmentat posted:

Never, ever give someone who's into crypto any money, ever.

Oh no, Wolverine street is a dead end.

Psylocke fukken when?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

DavidCameronsPig posted:

Yeah, that's a good point. I suppose it's fair enough that people feel a bit strung along by the celestial island or whatever it's called, because that seems like it's clearly setting up something for a future installment. But people who get stressed over there being no narrative repercussions to the celestial turning up in the sky, or the stars changing during Moon Knight - I think that all needs to be treated like water under the comic book universe bridge. You have to be very zen, I imagine, to live as a regular citizen in a marvel continuity.

I mean, I just read one of the newer Fantastic Four books, in which the FF blot out the sun over Kansas for like 3 days. There are like a dozen angry protestors, who even then walk away from the picket line the moment the sun returns. For everyone else, it's just like another week in 616 Kansas.

And I do honestly prefer that tone for the cinematic stuff, because I want filmmakers to write cool stories without having to worry too much about weaving in every ramification of every other plotline, and just pick and choose what supports the film they're trying ot make.

live with fruit posted:

I don't really see a difference between the original X-Men and Spider-Man, which have big smash up fights in public that people witness, and the Earth-based stuff in the Infinity Saga.

And even then, they try to explain the fantastical stuff, like Wakanda and Talokan and how no one knows about it, but I don't recall them getting into how no one knew there was a giant alien incubating in the core.

I didn't explain it too well, but that era of comic book films was trying to take that more grounded 'this is our world... except for this one franchise super hero!' approach - in a sense, localising all the comic book wackiness to that character. Maybe Nolan Batman is a better example than those original Xmen films, but you could still feel the trepidation in not wanting to go too hard in those first xmen films. Which means a lot of 'confused onlookers not in on the situation' kind of stuff, and lots of other situations that can feel a bit tedious now. I think I do prefer the more modern, whole-spandex approach.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 16, 2024

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

LividLiquid posted:

For real. Where do these people think Trump came from? Holy poo poo, the blinders on people.

Sometimes it feels like they think anything anybody says on the internet doesn't count, or is indicative in no way of their character, which explains how they post.

I agree with you but let’s not pretend this is why the Marvels performed poorly, Captain Marvel was probably dogpiled on even more and made a billion dollars.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

1st AD posted:

I agree with you but let’s not pretend this is why the Marvels performed poorly, Captain Marvel was probably dogpiled on even more and made a billion dollars.

Yeah, chuds hate a lot of stuff, but they're nowhere near as big of a box office killer as they pretend/think themselves.

ANYWAY, as long as we're all posting our big theories about the MCU, I think the MCU as a whole is a victim of its own success. I forget if it's here or in another thread, but I remember reading someone talking about how all the way back in phase 1 there were little hints and easter eggs showing all the movies were linked and leading to something (the Avengers) as far back as Iron Man 1, but after the Thanos reveal in Avengers, everyone started getting excited for when that would happen. But what's important is that those original movies weren't about infinity stones. Like, the tesseract is in Cap 1, but it looks like an entirely different Macguffin, the Cosmic Cube. Even in phase 2, most of the movies aren't about the infinity stones (Thor 2 never uses that term about the Aether at least) and mostly don't give the impression of "leading" to anything.

Anyway my point is that during the early days, there wasn't as much of a stress on what comes next. Post Endgame though, everyone knew it was gonna seem like a perfect jumping off point for a lot of fans, so they did presentations at cons and tipped their hand early to try to keep everyone on the line, with the reveal that there was gonna be multiverse stuff and it was leading to Kang. But by doing that they made everyone just watch movies wondering when they're gonna get to the fireworks factory Kang. And this has led to the constant cries online of how the MCU feels directionless. They're doing a lot of the same stuff they did at the beginning, introducing characters, but more than ever, people expect it to be going towards a crossover.

I mean yeah there are a whole bunch of other things (too many products, COVID making a fundamental change in how people consume movies, etc), but I think making people think every movie needs to have a hint about the future is what's really plaguing the brand right now.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The credit scenes used to be about one of the next movies. Besides the Thanos teases, the biggest gap between post-credit scene and pay off was the two years between Iron Mans 1 and 2. And it's not like they haven't paid anything off in the Multiverse Saga, there's just a lot that they haven't. Like, remember when Sharon infiltrated the CIA? She's not even in Captain America 4.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I think Disney should widely and freely release all the D+ MCU series. Let broadcast, prime, etc basically anybody who can put context out show then for nothing or next to nothing.

It’s a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Story that poo poo.

Then use the attention to lead into the next big crossover movie. And then don’t gently caress up that movie.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
At least put them on Hulu.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

live with fruit posted:

The credit scenes used to be about one of the next movies. Besides the Thanos teases, the biggest gap between post-credit scene and pay off was the two years between Iron Mans 1 and 2. And it's not like they haven't paid anything off in the Multiverse Saga, there's just a lot that they haven't. Like, remember when Sharon infiltrated the CIA? She's not even in Captain America 4.
Sharon Carter also wasn't involved at all in Secret Invasion which surprised me. I thought they were setting her up as a Skrull or something.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sharon Carter also wasn't involved at all in Secret Invasion which surprised me. I thought they were setting her up as a Skrull or something.

They've had two hat-and-glasses movies/shows since FAWS and two more are filming and no Sharon Carter in sight. It wasn't a great twist but she's still a character from Phase 2 and it seems like they forgot about her.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yes, your online boogeyman.

You just skipped over a full page of posts to respond to me, almost every single one is a different goon talking about why they're not as interested in the MCU as they used to be. Are we all part of the elaborate 4d chess scheme to attack the trillion dollar company in the name of anti-wokeness? Are we all secret chuds who are just here to deny you your comic book movies in the name of the patriarchy?

Golly, friend!

LividLiquid posted:

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, chuds hate a lot of stuff, but they're nowhere near as big of a box office killer as they pretend/think themselves.

Like I originally thought I said, on their own, these people really can't effect that much, but when combined with other problems in the MCU (or in real life) they actually are having an effect on the direction Disney is taking things (and where many politicians are taking things) and are only emboldened by it.

Only a fool would ignore these morons.

I'll drop it now, but may quote myself on this in a few years if things aren't better.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/AgentsFandom/status/1769030859653267815

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Like I originally thought I said, on their own, these people really can't effect that much, but when combined with other problems in the MCU (or in real life) they actually are having an effect on the direction Disney is taking things (and where many politicians are taking things) and are only emboldened by it.

Star Wars.

If only.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Golly, friend!

I'll drop it now, but may quote myself on this in a few years if things aren't better.

Of course politics are going to get worse. That has nothing to do with what anyone besides you is saying and nothing to do with the subject of this thread. Or this subforum. I'm telling you that your lovely capebro movies are failing because they're just not very good, not based on whoever you hate politically. But hey, gently caress the rest of us for having the nerve to have a single thread where you're not jerking yourself off over your loving politics, we just can't have that, not on this forum.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Do you understand that more than one thing can be contributing to this at once?

Because you really don't seem to.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

They have way too much poo poo going on, I forgot either of these were happening.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Alternatively, don’t do either of those things.

Go directly into Fantastic Four and X-Men after Deadpool 3.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gonz posted:

Alternatively, don’t do either of those things.

Go directly into Fantastic Four and X-Men after Deadpool 3.

I'm pretty sure that FF and X-Men have been left this long because Marvel have had to wait on rights reversal before distributing a movie with those characters in the mainline MCU. They can't make those releases any earlier, and all the breadcrumbs are multiverse-related.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jedit posted:

I'm pretty sure that FF and X-Men have been left this long because Marvel have had to wait on rights reversal before distributing a movie with those characters in the mainline MCU. They can't make those releases any earlier, and all the breadcrumbs are multiverse-related.

This rumor has never made any sense to me, and has never been confirmed. They own the studio now, and can do what they want. The main rumor is that they couldn’t recast the characters yet due to contracts, and I don’t see any way that’s true, they’ve recast before. That would be some weird as hell contract from Fox.

Just use your main money makers, I don’t understand the wait, unless they’re worried they don’t know how to pull it off successfully and will poison the well.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They probably had a plan to bring them in after the next Avengers movie. I’m sure they had this phase all planned out before they regained the rights but then this phase poo poo itself and now they’re panicking.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
They didn't get the rights back until 2019, at which point they had most of the next few years already planned out (if not in actual preproduction). And that slate had multiple followups to billion-dollar movies, it wasn't like they were scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I'm fine with the MCU stuff being just OK and fun, especially if it's going to have characters and storyline I remember. Still don't get the hate for Thor 4, Ant Man 3, and The Marvels, I thought they were fine (but then I don't expect movies to blow me away).

But if they gently caress up the next Captain America release I will stop watching in protest! Also I'd really like Adam Warlock / The Magus cosmic acid trip nonsense (no space Jesus though, thanks)