Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Capfalcon posted:

Yuffie casually suggested Cloud and the gang to defect to Wutai and form Yuffie's Recon Patrol (or YRP aka Yuna/Riku/Paine).

X-2 is also a game that Yuffie would love, so it fits there as well.

Except for the part of X-2 where you help Shinra come up with the idea of Mako energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

bring back Before Crisis!!!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Arist posted:

It's not itself the black materia. I think they're saying that Cait Sith effectively gave them the black materia by giving them the means to acquire it.

Fair enough if that's the case, just think that the dialogue "we're not just gonna let them take the black materia, right?" after Cait hands them a black materia-shaped object and they escape probably isn't the clearest choice of dialogue.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Frankston posted:

Fair enough if that's the case, just think that the dialogue "we're not just gonna let them take the black materia, right?" after Cait hands them a black materia-shaped object and they escape probably isn't the clearest choice of dialogue.

Seemed pretty open and shut to me :shrug: they just got given the only thing that could have stopped them from getting it, so what else are they gonna go do except try to go get it?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sit-ups are going to remain unfinished because wow they’re bad.

They probably won’t be as bad on PC, when you can rebind keys and just hit ASDF all in a row or something.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 16, 2024

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

how does Cait Sith's Roll o' the Dice work? I have no idea how to use the effect it gives you

Hypurr Beam sounds like there should be a big laser somewhere but I've yet to see it happen

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

yes... ha ha ha... yes!

Ifrit + Gi Nattak feels illegal

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Capfalcon posted:

Yuffie casually suggested Cloud and the gang to defect to Wutai and form Yuffie's Recon Patrol (or YRP aka Yuna/Riku/Paine).

X-2 is also a game that Yuffie would love, so it fits there as well.

Oh yeah I forgot about that lol

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Protorelic spoilers: I've been trying to do the end game protorelic crap. The Alexander and Odin fight were the ones I was stuck on and I just gave up. I'll come back at level 70 and maybe stand a chance. Probably not because I imagine it's level synch'd and I'd still have to deal with all that crap. I looked up what you got for doing this nonsense and they're the most worthless items I've ever seen. Breaking the 9999 barrier is the only one that's worth it, otherwise it's do 15% more damage but you take 15% more? Take 15% less damage but do 15% less? Being able to summon that buffoon. Does Gilgamesh do billions of damage? I can't think of anything else that'd make this all worth it because the accessories sure do not.

What a colossal waste of time. In Remake I ran a gauntlet of all the summons and you know what I got for my trouble? An accessory that let me start each battle with full limit. That was an incredible reward and the fights were extremely fun because they were a fraction of the difficulty these stupid, overtuned fights are. Then you fought an wholly unique enemy that Alexander stole the mechanics from.

Well, whatever. Add a third thing to the game I hate. I rather do the situp mini game again than this.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 16, 2024

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I feel like I have no idea how to configure summons.

1) how important are "stars" in terms of how powerful a summon is? I have one single 4 star summon, which I think is the max? That is Phoenix. Should I always be trying to use Phoenix because of that, for now?

2) Some summons don't seem like they can be upgraded, does this mean they're worse than ones that can, unless there is an elemental weakness involved?

3) If I want to hit a particular summon, does it make sense to un-equip the OTHER summons and just run with the summon you feel is maybe the best? So if you're for example fighting against someone who is weak to ice, you can equip Shiva, but does it then make sense to unequip your others? Or do summons have no bearing on each other? I feel like they must because I've only ever had one summon out at a time?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Protorelic spoilers: I've been trying to do the end game protorelic crap. The Alexander and Odin fight were the ones I was stuck on and I just gave up. I'll come back at level 70 and maybe stand a chance. Probably not because I imagine it's level synch'd and I'd still have to deal with all that crap. I looked up what you got for doing this nonsense and they're the most worthless items I've ever seen. Breaking the 9999 barrier is the only one that's worth it, otherwise it's do 15% more damage but you take 15% more? Take 15% less damage but do 15% less? Being able to summon that buffoon. Does Gilgamesh do billions of damage? I can't think of anything else that'd make this all worth it because the accessories sure do not.

What a colossal waste of time. In Remake I ran a gauntlet of all the summons and you know what I got for my trouble? An accessory that let me start each battle with full limit. That was an incredible reward and the fights were extremely fun because they were a fraction of the difficulty these stupid, overtuned fights are. Then you fought an wholly unique enemy that Alexander stole the mechanics from.

Well, whatever. Add a third thing to the game I hate. I rather do the situp mini game again than this.

just lower the difficulty for christ's sake. the setting is right there! no one will judge you! no one will know!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The game flat-out says the final protorelic quests are for level 70, you’re underleveled if you’re doing them when they unlock

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Taima posted:

I feel like I have no idea how to configure summons.

1) how important are "stars" in terms of how powerful a summon is? I have one single 4 star summon, which I think is the max? That is Phoenix. Should I always be trying to use Phoenix because of that, for now?

2) Some summons don't seem like they can be upgraded, does this mean they're worse than ones that can, unless there is an elemental weakness involved?

3) If I want to hit a particular summon, does it make sense to un-equip the OTHER summons and just run with the summon you feel is maybe the best? So if you're for example fighting against someone who is weak to ice, you can equip Shiva, but does it then make sense to unequip your others? Or do summons have no bearing on each other? I feel like they must because I've only ever had one summon out at a time?

The 1 star summons are from the dlc/bonus content bullshit for preordering and/or having a save from the last game. They can’t be upgraded.

You upgrade the other summons by finding the crystal things out in their respective zone, find all 3 and they’re 4 stars.

If you want a particular summon you just need to be trying to summon from the character with that particular materia equipped, there’s no ‘random’ element to it that you need to try and game by removing other summon materia. Some of the larger summons can’t be used in enclosed spaces so they’ll always be greyed out if you try, and some summons require 2 ATB charges which is shown on their little option when you try to summon them.

You only get to use one summon per battle iirc.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 16, 2024

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Augus posted:

The game flat-out says the final protorelic quests are for level 70, you’re underleveled if you’re doing them when they unlock

I attempted and completed them at level 45 on easy because I’m not gonna play this poo poo on hard or grind to 70 for that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

History Comes Inside! posted:

The 1 star summons are from the dlc/bonus content bullshit for preordering and/or having a save from the last game. They can’t be upgraded.

It's a shame they went to the trouble of implementing the bonus summons but made them functionally useless after the first few chapters.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

stev posted:

It's a shame they went to the trouble of implementing the bonus summons but made them functionally useless after the first few chapters.

very useful for the time they were available, though. i was able to get alexander early thanks to ramuh

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Taima posted:

:confused:
A summon being equipped to a character means that character can use that summon.
If Cloud has Ifrit, Tifa has Shiva, and Aerith has Phoenix, and you want to summon Phoenix, just switch to Aerith to cast the summon. If you want Shiva you switch to Tifa and use the summon.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

This is one of the few things that chaps my rear end. In the OG it was just "do you have a summon equipped? Have fun then!" Especially on goddamn hard mode. If I've staggered an enemy multiple times because it's got a ridiculous health bar, let me summon multiple times! I can see not being able to summon the same one 2-3 times in a fight but otherwise c'mon, man.

e: if KotR isn't as overly dramatic and ostentatious as the original I'm going to be very cross :colbert:

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 16, 2024

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

SubponticatePoster posted:

This is one of the few things that chaps my rear end. In the OG it was just "do you have a summon equipped? Have fun then!" Especially on goddamn hard mode. If I've staggered an enemy multiple times because it's got a ridiculous health bar, let me summon multiple times! I can see not being able to summon the same one 2-3 times in a fight but otherwise c'mon, man.

e: if KotR isn't as overly dramatic and ostentatious as the original I'm going to be very cross :colbert:

The Chocobo Racing/KOTR sidequest/reward combo is the best ever in gaming due to the sheer OP factor KotR brings and how dramatic and ridiculous it is. They have a lot to live up to in this regard.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Frankston posted:

Got Tifa for my chapter 12 date, gently caress yeah :heysexy:

Barret is the correct date, but Tifa is cool too

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
The best thing about chapter select is that you can choose who to have your date with. Want Red or Barrett? Knock yourself out.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
My prediction for KotR is that it will cost 2 atb and do a high amount of non-elemental damage to all enemies

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rolled credits. Loved it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I went back and steamrolled the queens blood tournament and I was gonna go redo the Junon segment for the parade trophies but they’re way too far into the chapter and I’m not about that life, so I think I’m all finished with rebirth now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just beat Gilgamesh :bisonyes:

That was far easier than the Odin/Alexander fight because he didn't have an attack that one-hit KO'ed my entire team. It took longer, though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Calling it now, KotR will be part 3 DLC and there'll be a whole big quest series and a dungeon to unlock it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

You upgrade the other summons by finding the crystal things out in their respective zone, find all 3 and they’re 4 stars.

If you want a particular summon you just need to be trying to summon from the character with that particular materia equipped, there’s no ‘random’ element to it that you need to try and game by removing other summon materia. Some of the larger summons can’t be used in enclosed spaces so they’ll always be greyed out if you try, and some summons require 2 ATB charges which is shown on their little option when you try to summon them.

<3 thank you!!

Btw I just cleared all the levels of the space shooty game on the first try. That owns, but it's so easy. The hardest game so far, no contest, is doing the pirate ship shooting game with pressure triggers on. You're going to the hospital if you want to do that, lol. I assume the first thing everyone does is turn off the pressure triggers right away.

The worst game imo is the 3D boxing game. The timing and feel of it is just... wonky af, but idk if that's just me or something everyone is coming across. Would be curious to hear how people like this minigame.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Everyone cheats at it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Jimbot posted:

Maybe stop and do something you find fun and don't hate instead?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Spermando posted:

Everyone cheats at it.

yeah i'm sure it's theoretically possible to beat the last two challengers without the pause exploit but i don't want to spend 2 weeks on punch-out

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Wait what the gently caress you can cheat? Thank god I have been HATING that game...! What do you do?

Also can anyone explain what is up with this:

Why did I not get the Points...?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Taima posted:

Wait what the gently caress you can cheat? Thank god I have been HATING that game...! What do you do?

You did, the ones greyed out are first time points rewards, the ones in white are what you'll get if you play it again, cause there's like consumables you can buy and such with the points.

As for the 3d brawler cheat, you can apparently just pause it, see what they're winding up with all the time in the world, unpause it while holding the needed input and win.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Taima posted:

I think those are rewards for clearing it again the next time.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Rhonne posted:

Except for the part of X-2 where you help Shinra come up with the idea of Mako energy.

Well, yes, X-2's meta jokes would probably be really weird if you were from the reality they were joking about, I suppose.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Chadley's dumb blank face staring at you for 5 seconds before he starts talking on the phone every single time is the best part of the game imo

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

how does Cait Sith's Roll o' the Dice work? I have no idea how to use the effect it gives you

Hypurr Beam sounds like there should be a big laser somewhere but I've yet to see it happen

They just go on their own. Hypurr Beam is a homing projectile on a random enemy so may have just missed it. It's also the weakest result, so if you see the die landing on a 2 slap it before the text appears.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
In Johnny's wall of bullshit exhibit #41, when it says "execute a flawless performance" (of Loveless), does it seriously actually mean flawless, as in all great, no good? I already have the trophy for S ranking it and that was like 5 goods and no misses. They aren't serious, are they?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What's the mechanics behind (chapter 13 spoilers) the red dragon lava floor attack? It says to attack its chest. Is it only normal attacks? I tried to use spells or abilities but the targeting was greyed out. I dunno if I was missing something or it's only ranged normal attacks. The lava feels like it moves too fast for the amount of damage you have to do to slow it down. You don't really get a chance to do so.

RC Cola posted:

Maybe stop and do something you find fun and don't hate instead?

I certainly did.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
chapter 13 side stuff question: will there be time to do any side content after I get Cait Sith back (I assume at the end of the Temple?) or is it right to endgame from there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jimbot posted:

What's the mechanics behind (chapter 13 spoilers) the red dragon lava floor attack? It says to attack its chest. Is it only normal attacks? I tried to use spells or abilities but the targeting was greyed out. I dunno if I was missing something or it's only ranged attacks. The lava feels like it moves too fast for the amount of damage you have to do to slow it down. You don't really get a chance to do so.

you’re supposed to attack the chest before it does the lava attack. It coats itself in fire to indicate it’s preparing the lava attack and that’s when the chest becomes targetable. attacking the chest will weaken the upcoming lava attack

Blockhouse posted:

chapter 13 side stuff question: will there be time to do any side content after I get Cait Sith back (I assume at the end of the Temple?) or is it right to endgame from there
Nope, if he’s left your party you won’t be able to use him for sidequests until you unlock chapter select

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 16, 2024