Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

oh ffs watching it now and the white horse with the bloody patch just walked by and like :dumbbravo:

e: lmao "he who fights monsters should take care not to become a monster" cmon y'all did not earn even a minute of this

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No see Crosby planted a replacement pilot's face into a table and screamed at him for being negligent, time to quote Nietszche about how war has changed him.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

buddy they're in the uk. holland and the uk are not that close. that was also the one person from the ground crew with lines too.

I've been wrong before, and I'll do it again!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"War, war never changes."
"Croz! War has changed!"

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Arc Hammer posted:

No see Crosby planted a replacement pilot's face into a table and screamed at him for being negligent, time to quote Nietszche about how war has changed him.

He's also hosed a spy.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yeah im gonna agree with the thread, good visuals and some scenes but very inconsistent writing and weird decisions with what they depict.

The Tuskegee air man storyline should have been running by mid season and yeah, they all should meet in the POW camp. Could have even worked in the Battle of Bamber Bridge and did some Commentary and maybe make a buzz like how Watchmen depicted the Tulsa Massacre, but that would get in the way of the American hagiography since that would put the US and Germany at parity. Indeed, I kind of want to make a saucy gif of the flag scene by playing it in reverse, they put the flag back together, remove the American one, and put the Nazi flag back, Slaughterhouse 5 style.

I did enjoy the POW camp scenes, it’s been a long long time since those were depicted anywhere, maybe even since the 1963 Great Escape, which was also cool that it was mentioned.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I've been reading Crosby's book and if anyone feels bad about keeping names straight, know that Crosby said the 100th had four guys named Bucky.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

mllaneza posted:

Okay, that had some real loving problems. I'll call out one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

The food relief drops in Holland. I have no problem with those being included. I have a huge loving problem with an exposition scene set on the airbase that those missions with the food relief missions visible from where they're loving standing. If they need food right over there, just don't take it off the loving truck. Drive it over!

Rosie's milk run was set up with all the classic tells of a last-minute tragedy. They even had some rando show up for his very first ever ride in an airplane. Some rear end in a top hat thinks he's super clever for "subverting" that trope. gently caress him. Putting the one person from the ground crew that had lines on that flight would have meant something and tied some things together. So many wasted chances for good storytelling.

Captain Westgate spinoff when?

You can also see Bel Powley in a constantly manic/terrified state (with one of the Peaky Blinder's lads as part of the Dutch resistance) trying to keep the Frank Family (Liev Schreiber as Otto Frank) alive in the NatGeo "A Small Light".

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 16, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I hadn't heard about the Stalag VII-A liberation before so I looked it up. It seems that some POW did in fact grab and American flag and flew it from the top of the camp but it was only after the camp guards had surrendered to the American armor division and I'm having a hard time finding any records to suggest the POWs liberated themselves before the army arrived.

But it does track with Bucky Forrest Gump-ing himself into WW2 history moments he wasn't there for. There was no way thr filmmakers were going to pass up a golden opportunity for American patriotism like having a flag get raised over a liberated POW camp in the most dramatic fashion possible.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 16, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If they didn't send Rosie to see a concentration camp, I'm sure they would have had Bucky say "Come on fellas, I heard there is another kind of camp down the road from here."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While I don't think the show is terrible it definitely needed another pass on the script. Stuff like the Tuskegee Airmen only appearing in the last two episodes or the diversions into stuff that had little to no payoff (like the bizarre short circuiting of the escape through occupied territory where there was a lot of focus and then all of a sudden they just offhand made it back.)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

honestly that stuff felt like it came because of too many passes at the script

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Funny part is that this episode was longer than the rest but still only about an hour of actual footage because the credits and the biography section ran about ten minutes on its own.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Was Crosby fighting monsters what made him sleep with spy lady?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jisforjosh posted:

Was Crosby fighting monsters what made him sleep with spy lady?

No he just wanted to ensure that America stayed on top of the Brits.

And then they somehow managed to film a sex scene with them lying sideways three feet apart.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

honestly that stuff felt like it came because of too many passes at the script

Yeah. The show feels very much like whoever was in charge deciding to do the bare minimum to respond to someone going "what about x?"

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Arc Hammer posted:

And then they somehow managed to film a sex scene with them lying sideways three feet apart.

dang dude was hung

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

McNally posted:

dang dude was hung

That's the real reason Westgate told him to go back to his wife Jean.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did the real Crosby even cheat on his wife? If not, seems like a lovely thing to put into a TV show that supposedly depicts his real life.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Cojawfee posted:

Did the real Crosby even cheat on his wife? If not, seems like a lovely thing to put into a TV show that supposedly depicts his real life.

I wondered that myself. Westgate wasn’t a real person so it’d be weird to have him portrayed as a cheater if he wasn’t, especially with the “This man was the greatest father and husband of all time.” bio at the end credits.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So what was the mission that secret spy English lady was on? What did she accomplish?

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

MANY THANKS
YANKS

Haggard old Brit to plucky child, tears rolling down both faces: “Fare well glorious Americans. Fly safe. You truly did have the most sophisticated and precise means of aerial bombardment. In broad daylight. True masters of the air.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

CubanMissile posted:

I wondered that myself. Westgate wasn’t a real person so it’d be weird to have him portrayed as a cheater if he wasn’t, especially with the “This man was the greatest father and husband of all time.” bio at the end credits.

His wife passed over a decade before his memoir was published. Maybe he had a fling and said something about it in an interview or something

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

CubanMissile posted:

Westgate was based on Alexandra Wingate in Crosby's memoir and while he never flat out said "we banged constantly," it was pretty clear that he was doing more than meeting her for dinner and drinks.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
They were poling.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Skyl3lazer posted:

So what was the mission that secret spy English lady was on? What did she accomplish?

It appears she was able to pass as French and trained in IMINT. But that what the Resistance (and French refugees who went to work with the SOE) was for, which makes those scenes all the more superfluous, because

From what I remember in the book, and it's been a while, she wasn't a spy, she just worked for/with SOE.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Monica Bellucci posted:

They were poling punting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Monica Bellucci posted:

They were poling.

McNally posted:

dang dude was hung

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It appears she was able to pass as French and trained in IMINT. But that what the Resistance (and French refugees who went to work with the SOE) was for, which makes those scenes all the more superfluous, because

From what I remember in the book, and it's been a while, she wasn't a spy, she just worked for/with SOE.

It's been a few years since I read Crosby's memoir (A Wing and a Prayer: The "Bloody 100th" Bomb Group of the U.S. Eighth Air Force in Action Over Europe in World War II, and it's a good read), but iirc he never actually knew what she did. Just that she wouldn't talk about it. And that she was the first woman he met who could take a shot of liquor without flinching.

Kind of weird that the show changed her name and made her an undercover spy rather than just using the real woman as written in Crosby's memoir, because that would serve the exact same purpose in the show without making things up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Perhaps they did keep her name and just had her doing stuff that he saw. Then they needed more scenes for the show so they invented a spy plot for her that went absolutely no where

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I bet the unaired episode where she helps Rosie get back from occupied France, the luftwaffe gets baited into the air, and the TGA defend some bombers was really cool

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I bet the unaired episode where she helps Rosie get back from occupied France, the luftwaffe gets baited into the air, and the TGA defend some bombers was really cool

Release the Orloff Cut

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I hate to jump on the dogpile here.

I watched the final episode earlier today. And while WWII aircraft, mainly fighters, are totally my jam, it just kind of left me cold.

Too many cooks standing over the pot on this show.

It made me start rewatching BoB. And I know it’s a very unfair comparison, but man Masters just completely shrivels and pales next to just the first two BoB episodes.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

So I guess with the relatively wet fart of the back half of MotA, this is just going to turn into a general Playtone/Amblin WW2 series thread right? I'm overdue for a Pacific rewatch.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

So am I, I’d definitely be down for that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Flux Wildly posted:

MANY THANKS
YANKS

Haggard old Brit to plucky child, tears rolling down both faces: “Fare well glorious Americans. Fly safe. You truly did have the most sophisticated and precise means of aerial bombardment. In broad daylight. True masters of the air.

I had a teacher in High School who had been a kid in England during WW2, and did hang around a US Base during the war, and he said basically that is how i felt during the time, "oh boy all these strapping Americans have come to help up defeat Gerry!". And then he followed it up and "I was a kid and didn't have a bloody lick of sense".

Also I made this

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Jerusalem posted:

It was VERY important we spend an episode showing one of the Bucks being a giant drunken rear end in a top hat in Iceland so we would all be wowed at how cool he is.

What a surprise that the Bucks stayed in to go bomb innocent people in service of imperialism in Korea and Vietnam.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Fantasy future seasons (assuming they are good haha):
Eastern Front
Burma
Desert Rats (I know, I know there is that series)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lampsacus posted:

Fantasy future seasons (assuming they are good haha):
Eastern Front
Burma
Desert Rats (I know, I know there is that series)

An enemy at the gates based on the book would be great. There's way more going on besides the sniper duel and also maybe set some ideas about the way the soviets fought the war straight?

Lol no way, there aren't any Americans to wax poetic about the war there.

Operations torch/husky/ Invasion of mainland Italy as the name escapes me right now would be good, plus you get Americans to center the show on. The Italian front always feels forgotten in ww2 stuff, Churchill "soft underbelly of europe" that was made of stone.

Did the british have any decent intelligence during the war or did they just do planning by vibes of the upper classes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
The British had a commando called Christopher Lee and his war record is sealed until 2030 minimum.