Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Vinylshadow posted:

Weak numbers

Is the Cthulu dog a dark Jedi, a dark Jedi's dog, or both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Mantis42 posted:

i'm 5 hours into this video and the dudes just talked about the lore behind how every single piece of technology in star wars works the whole time. he spent an hour explaining who all the podracers were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPlzbfIRRqI

mz please action this 12hr request

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

General Dog posted:

Is the Cthulu dog a dark Jedi, a dark Jedi's dog, or both?

Force Eaters called the Nameless which cause Jedi to hallucinate and calcify

A more extreme version of the Voxyn the Vong used

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

Force Eaters called the Nameless which cause Jedi to hallucinate and calcify

A more extreme version of the Voxyn the Vong used

So, a dog?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mfw some stupid old bat keeps trying to get me to say my last name

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

As long as you're some Force-sensitive, you can pet the dog

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I think the ad campaign for episode 1 is an important part of the movie. You're not just watching a decadent republic at its material height, right before it's slide into fascism...you're LIVING it, baby!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FunkyAl posted:

I think the ad campaign for episode 1 is an important part of the movie. You're not just watching a decadent republic at its material height, right before it's slide into fascism...you're LIVING it, baby!

Dellow Felegates, weesa must invade Iraq

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/OneTakeNews/status/1768054690745295211

Its happening again!!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nice. It’s could be good

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Doubt it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Per Last Jedi I can't approve of rogue anything. We need the squadron that obeys orders and follows the chain of command

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
The intervals between announcement, cancellation, and re-announcement are getting smaller, that can mean only one thing...

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I’ve played Star Wars: Episode I Racer for dozens of hours. How is it an analysis of the film?

It's not. It's something far nobler: an analysis of the lore.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jerkface posted:

The intervals between announcement, cancellation, and re-announcement are getting smaller, that can mean only one thing...

...invasion?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jerkface posted:

We should witness a double event within seven days.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Bongo Bill posted:

We should witness a double event within seven days.

Yes, i fear D&D could be emerging from the lucasfilm breach again...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I swear Fox has already announced and cancelled something in the same day like that Futurama episode.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The Kylo Ren redemption arc was a big whiff, but a potential Patty Jenkins redemption arc? Now we're finally getting an interesting narrative in cinemas.

The stakes are high, since it's implicitly Star Wars: Andor: The Movie: Part 2: Rogue Two - and literally about Rogue Two, too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

From what does she need redeemed ?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

From what does she need redeemed ?

WW84.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I can’t remember the timeline, was Rogue Squadron cancelled before Top Gun 2 came out and made a trillion dollars?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Top gun 2 may have been the most absurd movie I’ve ever seen

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

euphronius posted:

I thought it owned. The central action setpiece just gleefully rips off the original Death Star run, but I thought it was wonderfully executed. With us this deep into the "and then some stuff happens" era of action filmmaking, I can't describe how much I appreciated Top Gun Maverick's commitment to building a coherent action setpiece, to the degree that it spends a full hour setting it up and making sure we're going to understand what we're watching.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

General Dog posted:

I thought it owned. The central action setpiece just gleefully rips off the original Death Star run, but I thought it was wonderfully executed. With us this deep into the "and then some stuff happens" era of action filmmaking, I can't describe how much I appreciated Top Gun Maverick's commitment to building a coherent action setpiece, to the degree that it spends a full hour setting it up and making sure we're going to understand what we're watching.

Yeah, the movie ruled, but as the Pitch Meeting guy pointed out, it's a Star Wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsojiWVVj00

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

euphronius posted:

So you haven't seen

Which I actually enjoyed because of how bonkers and absurd it was instead of just being a gender-swapped First Avenger with an even worse CGI final fight than Black Panther.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I thought Maverick was boring as hell, and looked drab and flat like most blockbuster movies do now. But I don't really care about cars or planes. I kind of admired how they set up the whole scenario without ever telling us who the belligerents are or where the mission takes place.

Disney should try this--just do a Star War where you know who the good guys and bad guys are because of how they're dressed, and never make any references to anyone belonging to any organization or taking part in any named war.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Do we hear any Imperial or First Order soldiers/officers speak with an American accent after the first Star Wars movie, outside of maybe a bit of Stormtrooper chatter in Return of the Jedi, and maybe whoever yells at Threepio from offscreen in Empire Strikes Back?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Absurd isn’t bad yeah. It just came another universe and made no sense. It was entertaining

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, the movie ruled, but as the Pitch Meeting guy pointed out, it's a Star Wars.

Yeah why it was awesome. It was very obvious and very cool.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

“So, basically, my question is to ask what happened to them after Jedi. Did they stay friends? Go on more adventures? Did they ever have kids of their own?”

This whole time Patty Jenkins has been sitting in her chair with the table and water at her side on the stage in front of the screen. She doesn’t move or blink during the question, and appears to be giving Tim her rapt attention. After Tim finishes, she looks up for a moment or two in a “pondering” pose, then looks back and slowly says “They died.”

Pablo Hidalgo retconned two digital blurs at the end of Rise of Skywalker as former members of Rogue Squadron at the Battle of Exogol.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
drat, Patty Jenkins and George Lucas comprise a Force Dyad.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

General Dog posted:

Do we hear any Imperial or First Order soldiers/officers speak with an American accent after the first Star Wars movie, outside of maybe a bit of Stormtrooper chatter in Return of the Jedi, and maybe whoever yells at Threepio from offscreen in Empire Strikes Back?

There's some in The Mandalorian (like Giancarlo Esposito and Titus Welliver) but the movies seem to avoid it.

The reason there were so many American-sounding Imperials in A New Hope was partially due to cost. All the soundstage stuff on the OT was filmed in England and they used local actors to fill out the cast, resulting in most of the characters either being played by British actors or Americans working in England.

When they got back to the US for post-production though, they had to do a bunch of ADR and again used local actors. So all the British characters that needed to be redubbed had British faces but American voices. This included a bunch of Imperials (a couple of whom were voiced by The Simpsons' Harry Shearer), but Aunt Beru and Wedge were also voiced by American actors.

There were also stylistic reasons for the Empire's American accents - Lucas envisioned the Empire as a futuristic version of Vietnam-era America, so giving the Empire mostly American accents would make sense.

When Irvin Kirshner took over directing on the second movie, the subtext he wanted to suggest was of the American Revolution, and so cast the Empire with British actors while keeping the Rebellion American.

The ADR continued to be done in the US, so the Stormtroopers and offscreen voices continued to be American.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

General Dog posted:

There's a couple random lines here and there that sound American. "Inform the commander that Lord Vader's shuttle has arrived." and I think Vader's shuttle pilot himself as well.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

There's a couple random lines here and there that sound American. "Inform the commander that Lord Vader's shuttle has arrived." and I think Vader's shuttle pilot himself as well.

Always loved the delivery of this line, he totally knows he’s in the Star war

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ingmar terdman posted:

Always loved the delivery of this line, he totally knows he’s in the Star war

Yeah, it’s why I can recite that totally innocuous line from memory.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mantis42 posted:

It's not. It's something far nobler: an analysis of the lore.

Lore analysis is way less interesting than just figuring out the plot of the films themselves.

Like, I was thinking about ‘Rogue Two’ and how they probably aren’t going to do the cool no-brainer thing of adapting the opening crawl of Empire Strikes Back. Y’know, the part where “it is a dark time for the Rebellion”.

The Death Star has been destroyed, so there’s no longer any regional governor and everything’s going to be hosed for the Empire in that regard. Since they’re also working with very short notice, the Empire resorts to sending in troops to drive the Rebel forces from their hidden base. How is it that Imperial stormtroopers can attack the hidden fortress - which now presumably has its shield generator activated - and win?

There’s an implication that the Empire gains an increasing tactical advantage as Vader is given more and more control over the military. The fact that the Rebels need to be driven from the base implies they have some reason to be sticking around. In A New Hope, they’re so well-equipped and dangerous to the Imperial starfleet that the Death Star is of vital importance. So, the Rebels might have assumed they could use their superior equipment to withstand any follow-up attack. In any case, you’ve got a solid hook for a movie there already; the use of troops means jungle combat on Yavin 4 - like a prelude to the Ewok thing, but where it doesn’t go as well. That’s your act 1.

Imperial troops then pursue Leia’s Rebels across the galaxy, which implies more ground combat in different settings. So you can have Leia’s guys meet up with allies in different regions and explore how Luke becomes more disenchanted with the whole thing, before establishing his own splinter group with the Rogue callsigns - expressing his affiliation with the more radical fringes of the Rebellion. In the meantime, you’ve got Vader and teams of Jabba’s bounty hunters putting the pressure on them by specifically targeting Luke and Han.

Obviously the ending is Luke’s followers setting up a base on Hoth and maybe winning some small victory from there. Tell it from the perpective of one of the Red Squadron pilots as they shift over to Rogue Squadron. Easy money!

Thinking about that, I realized that you can’t really do a Rogue Three. Return Of The Jedi’s opening crawl has no story to adapt, and everything that implicitly occurred between films is a return to status quo: Rogue Squadron reverts to Red Squadron and is assimilated back into the Alliance. Vader is listless and dejected because Luke is a moron. Manny Bothans died, but it was all a ruse by Palpatine. Everything is hosed and everybody sucks! A film about this time period would be pointless, and kinda depressing. Real ST vibes.

The one glimmer of hope is Leia, oddly enough, because she emerges from the gap between films as the newest fringe weirdo. Han, Lando, Luke, and Chewbacca are all out of the picture at that point, and the Alliance is doing boring Alliance stuff. Leia is the wildcard.

That’s obviously not to say that it should be (another) CGI-Leia movie, but there is another opportunity to look at those radical figures who don’t fit into the Rebellion/Empire dichotomy. Real uncharted territory at this point.

Alternately: skip ahead to an Insider-style thriller about the taxation of trade routes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Thinking about that, I realized that you can’t really do a Rogue Three. Return Of The Jedi’s opening crawl has no story to adapt, and everything that implicitly occurred between films is a return to status quo: Rogue Squadron reverts to Red Squadron and is assimilated back into the Alliance. Vader is listless and dejected because Luke is a moron. Manny Bothans died, but it was all a ruse by Palpatine. Everything is hosed and everybody sucks! A film about this time period would be pointless, and kinda depressing. Real ST vibes.

This is funny to me, because one of the more famous books of the old EU, Shadows of the Empire, covered exactly this period. Not that it aged very well or anything. Basically Vader versus a criminal syndicate, a Han Solo stand in because you apparently need one, and Leia trying to not get raped by the head of the crime syndicate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

a Han Solo stand in because you apparently need one,

Put some got dang respect on Dash Rendars name please