Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

Alaois posted:

the developers of Dead By Daylight are the same company that made Jersey Devil and WET

They changed their name from A2M to Behaviour because they're cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I just bought FFX/X-2 Remaster bundle on sale for $20 *birdman hand rub*

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

l o n g slime

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

lol

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he wouldnt put his name on that episode but he put his name on all the bad episodes makes you think

but he did put his name on the weird playboy marge poo poo even though she's basically his mom makes you not want to think

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i want a long slime

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Majorian posted:

That tracks.

There's been a lot of rehabilitation of X-2 lately but it's still a pretty bad game with a couple good points. (Paine, the job system)

hurrr durrrrrr

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Majorian posted:

Just rolled credits. This is a great game. I still like 5R and 4G more, but it's a lot closer of a call than it was before. A few thoughts:

☝️ this is the power level of a guy who thinks ffx-2 sucks lmfao

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Stux posted:

☝️ this is the power level of a guy who thinks ffx-2 sucks lmfao

I stand by my love of Persona.:colbert:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
if you put 5 above 3 and think joker is a better protag than makoto you have negative iq and t

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Stux posted:

if you put 5 above 3 and think joker is a better protag than makoto you have negative iq and t

Cool!

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i like 4 the most still but i grew up in a small town and related to inaba and the people there a lot

5's the worst of the three, i think

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Southern Cassowary posted:

i like 4 the most still but i grew up in a small town and related to inaba and the people there a lot

5's the worst of the three, i think

The first arc of P5 is incredibly compelling stuff, unfortunately each successive arc is progressively less so

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Runa posted:

The first arc of P5 is incredibly compelling stuff, unfortunately each successive arc is progressively less so

I dunno, the third semester’s the best part of the game imo.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
I like X2 because crystal snail's theme is pretty fun and you can like pick up zeros parts... Megaman x2. Get it

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
X2 is better than X and X3.

Has the best selection of dudes to fight. You get a crab, a loofah, a snail and a moth!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Runa posted:

Yeah it’s weird. It gets bigger and bigger but when it’s just them absolutely pissed off about the oppression that is baked into even high school and wanting to fight against that it’s super good. By the end when it turns out that it’s some big conspiracy that a local high school principal is a key part of?????

It starts off as “life sucks and it doesn’t have to” and it’s really interesting and has a lot to say. Then it just slowly devolves into standard government conspiracy and murdering god poo poo

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Runa posted:

I've only played vanilla P5 but it was the absolute slowest, most gradual descent from total amazing hype to disdain I've ever experienced in a game. Every subsequent chapter was just a little bit worse than the last until I got to the end and realized I didn't like the story much at all. I think a lot of that had to do with the incredibly weak translation work and weird idiosyncracies it has. Royal might be better but after P3R it's gonna be a long while before I can be bothered to revisit 5

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
The Depths of Mementos and Yaldabaoth are one of the worst final-hour faceplants I've seen from any game I've played, even compared to the game building up the Shido conspiracy stuff, it's astounding.

Also shoutouts to how the game instantly forgets that Akechi exists as soon as Shido's Palace is over. At least Royal did the guy justice overall.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Yeah it’s weird. It gets bigger and bigger but when it’s just them absolutely pissed off about the oppression that is baked into even high school and wanting to fight against that it’s super good. By the end when it turns out that it’s some big conspiracy that a local high school principal is a key part of?????

It starts off as “life sucks and it doesn’t have to” and it’s really interesting and has a lot to say. Then it just slowly devolves into standard government conspiracy and murdering god poo poo

I mean, that’s Persona (and jrpgs in general) for you, though. It sucks that they don’t take what starts out as a structural critique to its logical conclusion and instead opt for another round of “kill God with the power of friendship,” but I don’t expect a poo poo company like Atlus to come up with the right moral to the story anyway. It’s still a fun story and I appreciate the fact that they at least make it clear that society’s ills are mostly caused by terrible structures and not just evil individuals. I especially like that taking out Shido and even Yaldy doesn’t really change anything. The fascists still win big in the election, the justice system in Japan is still cartoonishly corrupt, Japanese society (and Western society and society everywhere) is still sexist as gently caress, etc etc. I’m frustrated that it doesn’t follow through all the way, but still, those themes speak to me more than 3’s. I totally understand why people disagree though.

Also I love the music. The music slaps.

Heath posted:

I've only played vanilla P5 but it was the absolute slowest, most gradual descent from total amazing hype to disdain I've ever experienced in a game. Every subsequent chapter was just a little bit worse than the last until I got to the end and realized I didn't like the story much at all. I think a lot of that had to do with the incredibly weak translation work and weird idiosyncracies it has. Royal might be better but after P3R it's gonna be a long while before I can be bothered to revisit 5

Definitely take a break, but when you feel up to it, give Royal a chance. It’s much, much better than 5 vanilla.

Majorian has a new favorite as of 01:45 on Mar 17, 2024

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Plant MONSTER. posted:

X2 is better than X

Absolutely not

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Majorian posted:

I mean, that’s Persona (and jrpgs in general) for you, though. It sucks that they don’t take what starts out as a structural critique to its logical conclusion and instead opt for another round of “kill God with the power of friendship,” but I don’t expect a poo poo company like Atlus to come up with the right moral to the story anyway. It’s still a fun story and I appreciate the fact that they at least make it clear that society’s ills are mostly caused by terrible structures and not just evil individuals. I especially like that taking out Shido and even Yaldy doesn’t really change anything. The fascists still win big in the election, the justice system in Japan is still cartoonishly corrupt, Japanese society (and Western society and society everywhere) is still sexist as gently caress, etc etc. I’m frustrated that it doesn’t follow through all the way, but still, those themes speak to me more than 3’s. I totally understand why people disagree though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyfVqA3HE0k

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
thinking jrpgs never actually address and explore societal ills in a satisfying way is a self report

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Radia posted:

thinking jrpgs never actually address and explore societal ills in a satisfying way is a self report

I was referring more to the tendency to default to “oops, it was an evil God behind everything; let’s kill God with the power of friendship” for the endgame, instead of rising up and burning the motherfucker to the ground. But I also have big gaps in my jrpg knowledge so I’m happy to hear recommendations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I don't know how one doesn't like Junpei. He is a stupid teenager and behaves like one but he does gain some maturity throughout his arc

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

Majorian posted:

FIRE CURES BIGOTS posted:

What the hell was Zack "Geist Editor" Parsons smoking when he wrote this review? First of all, Princess maker is NOT a hentai game, nor does it deserve to be judged by such standards. Second of all, the only reason a player would have for putting his daughter in an S&M dress would be to get one of the "evil" endings that the game punishes the player for. Third, he obviously didn't read the documentation because if he did he would know that it is not neccesary to get rid of stress with food, all you have to do is give her "time off". He also obviously didn't know that one can skip the animations, including the opening by hitting the "F3" key.

His critisms of the game, aside from what he said about the adventure part, have no basis in the facts about the game. This was not a fair review.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Heath posted:

I don't know how one doesn't like Junpei. He is a stupid teenager and behaves like one but he does gain some maturity throughout his arc

Junpei is probably my favorite little arc of any Persona character. His fuckup has weight and he learns from it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Majorian posted:

I mean, that’s Persona (and jrpgs in general) for you, though.

no its a persona 5 problem, its not an issue the rest of the series or 90% of smt/smt spin offs have. 3 as a direct contrast takes its concept to the full conclusion and integrates it throughout the entire story and all the side characters, while dealing with something heavier to begin with.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

"Better things aren't possible and that's good" - Centrists

"Better things aren't possible and that's bad" - Leftists

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Stux posted:

no its a persona 5 problem, its not an issue the rest of the series or 90% of smt/smt spin offs have. 3 as a direct contrast takes its concept to the full conclusion and integrates it throughout the entire story and all the side characters, while dealing with something heavier to begin with.

The last boss of P4 is a giant eye god who appears out of nowhere after you beat the much more interesting human antagonist.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
After playing 3 again I think they're easily my favorite crew. All of their arcs have just enough of an edge to them that makes them stand out from 4's and especially 5's, like Yukari's suspicion and maybe even distrust of Mitsuru early on has just a little bit of jealousy mixed in with it that never gets explicitly called out but you can feel it organically in the way she talks about her. But then their relationship evolves as Mitsuru's weaknesses and guilt is revealed and she isn't as perfect as she projects

I will say the final two months of 3 are a total drag though. The pacing falls off the rails pretty hard, especially if you run out of things you're able to do and your character is like "there is a very real possibility the world will end very soon. Guess I'll nap every day for two weeks straight"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Absolutely not

x1 can't be beat but I always liked how hard they tried to make x2's music sound like it was on a Genesis sound chip

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Majorian posted:

The last boss of P4 is a giant eye god who appears out of nowhere after you beat the much more interesting human antagonist.

The..Last boss???

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Majorian posted:

https://files.catbox.moe/40938j.mp4

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Majorian posted:

Did you not do the true ending? Yomotsu Hirasaka, Izanami, all that?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Howstever. Persona 4 is Fail.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

It’s not really a societal take at all and it’s kind of cheesy but dragon quest 11’s it’ll be all right in the morning, the first game event after the end of the world and millions dying is sylvando holding a parade and the speech by the yggdragon at the end about how no matter what evil happens even if they become evil a hero will always rise to defeat it and its message of being optimistic and diligent no matter how dark things seem hit the landing really loving well and has been pretty important and meaningful to me in my life.

Of course like a dragon 7 then took that message and explicitly referencing dragon quest made it a loving societal critique without compromising it and made a good thing even better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Majorian posted:

this mf...