Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

I wish we had a super secret club. We could charge a small fee for membership.

Good to know I wouldn't even be invited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I paid someone to let me in here.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Time_pants posted:

I paid someone to let me in here.

See how that turned out?

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
The state taxman no longer publishes certain forms on it's web site: you must click and have the PDFs emailed to you.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
You wouldn't download a tax form.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

The state taxman no longer publishes certain forms on it's web site: you must click and have the PDFs emailed to you.

The day they make disposable email illegal is they day I begin a standoff with the ATF.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Rochallor posted:

The day they make disposable email illegal is they day I begin a standoff with the ATF.

I got your back fam, let's give 'em hell.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
You can pry this nail gun from my cold dead fingats

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
There's a really funny episode of The Sopranos wish some scenes that I imagine have been shared, so I tried looking them up, and discovered the hellhole that is "Soprano memes," which is just YouTube Shorts or TikTok videos of Sopranos. The biggest issue is that they're all cropped in this awful loving ratio, cutting off more than half the video for some reason. Does TikTok simply not allow you to view videos in a widescreen format? This portrait ratio is agony to look at and now it's making it so hard to find a decent quality version of what I'm looking for. I did find the specific scene I wanted, but the guy's face is only halfway on screen because of the cropping. This is dumber than when The Simpsons cropped all their old episodes to force a widescreen format to something that didn't have it. The reason I wanted to share it was because the guy's expression is so good, it tells so much. The YouTube Shorts version of this scene is worthless because you can't see anything you're supposed to be looking at, so why don't you just share the audio? Because the audio isn't what makes the scene, it's carried by the guy's expression.

Your phones are capable of viewing things in widescreen, why do the youth of today insist on what is objectively the inferior way to watch anything? Your eyes aren't stacked on top of each other, you fuckers.

edit: One imagines that there is probably a massive collection of The Simpsons episodes that were first cropped to force widescreen and now cropped again to force it the other way.

Why crop it? You can still zoom, can't you? It just damages the product, in every way, when it doesn't have to, and it leaves behind the damaged product so that that's all you find when you try to look for the good product it all came from.

\/\/ well I wasn't trying to. I was trying to find a video online but it's all cropped. It's all cropped! \/\/

credburn fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 16, 2024

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

dont watch youtube shorts dude youre making it worse

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
No, if enough people watch shorts voluntarily, they won't need to push them ever more aggressively to the rest. If people resist, they'll eventually make it impossible not to watch shorts.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

credburn posted:

What are you saying? When people get uncomfortable they start spouting random stuff? It sounds like the people are the problem, not Discord :confused:

Unconsciously I guess I'm comparing it to forums. When some guy spazzes out, it's not hard to load up an old page and see what, they were spazzing out about. While in discord, scrolling up and waiting for the conversation to load takes up more time, and it's not really done.

Also in forms it's easier to catch up on what was written while a person was away. Forums are just better at cultivating some sort of history?

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 16, 2024

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
I’ve never even used TikTok but the devil on my shoulder says letting people switch aspect ratios might make them move just enough to break couch lock and do something else and it’ll mean more code.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Discord is just irc, the trend of trying to force other use cases on top of that is unadulterated idiocy.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

steinrokkan posted:

No, if enough people watch shorts voluntarily, they won't need to push them ever more aggressively to the rest. If people resist, they'll eventually make it impossible not to watch shorts.

This is why literally every surface is plastered with Google+ ads to this day.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Bandcamp. Used to be that you had unlimited streaming for albums in your wishlist, regardless of whether or not you bought them. Now you might get a track or two before a nag screen comes up to ask that you "open your wallet" for the artist. I don't mind supporting indie artists on Bandcamp, but I don't like pressure tactics like that (and I blame Bandcamp for that; not the artists).

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

I remember maybe a decade ago some TV manufacturer was testing the idea of TVs that were of a vertical aspect ratio because all the kids watched phone footage now and no one was capable of turning their phones sideways to film. It's silly and sad that they ended up being right.

... Well except the part where they thought young people would watch anything on TV instead of their phones.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

steinrokkan posted:

Discord is just irc, the trend of trying to force other use cases on top of that is unadulterated idiocy.

Abandoning IRC for other apps is how I know our species is incapable of helping itself.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah. I always see on Steam that developers are using Discord for their games now and it sucks. A chat room is no replacement for a forum.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Internet Old One posted:

Abandoning IRC for other apps is how I know our species is incapable of helping itself.

our species is just the genital organ for the reproduction of machines now hth

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Khaled Mardam Bey changed my life

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

Saganlives posted:

I remember maybe a decade ago some TV manufacturer was testing the idea of TVs that were of a vertical aspect ratio because all the kids watched phone footage now and no one was capable of turning their phones sideways to film. It's silly and sad that they ended up being right.

... Well except the part where they thought young people would watch anything on TV instead of their phones.

I can't find the tweet, but someone pointed out that the footage in the new Crow trailer (and presumably the film, too) seems to have been entirely composed with TikTok viewing/reposting in mind. Everything's just crammed into the center of the frame.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Couldn't they just make some sort of swinging cradle for a TV that would make it very easy to change between portrait and landscape?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Couldn't they just make some sort of swinging cradle for a TV that would make it very easy to change between portrait and landscape?

Like a TV Hammock?

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

filmcynic posted:

I can't find the tweet, but someone pointed out that the footage in the new Crow trailer (and presumably the film, too) seems to have been entirely composed with TikTok viewing/reposting in mind. Everything's just crammed into the center of the frame.

attention has degraded to the point where the audience no longer can perceive the entire frame. all that stuff outside the center is just the blurred pillarboxing

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Probably, but again that's missing the point that nobody is watching tiktok on their TVs without serious brain damage.

Incidentally, one of the biggest complaints I have about capitalism that isn't rooted in morality is that it homogenizes literally everything. Rather than just allowing multiple mediums to exist for different purposes, the capitalist will expend an absurd amount of effort and money in a desire to combine these mediums into one "perfect" medium that minimizes costs and maximizes market share. It's the reason I audibly scoff anytime someone brings up capitalism breeding innovation, because that's only true if you have dozens of companies making the same kind of thing that are forced to compete. The reality is though that those companies themselves will either collude or merge into a single entity, and all the different varieties of ranch dressing on the shelves will eventually coalesce into just the one kind again because its cheaper to only make one kind and consumers won't have any alternatives.

I often fantasize about a godking on high issuing a decree that every product must be branded as the top-most company that owns all the subsidiaries, so its stupidly obvious just how much corporate capture there is. People wouldn't be able to deny it when their grocery store is stocked with literally 3 total brands.

Saganlives fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 16, 2024

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
But they said the communists were in awe of American grocery stores with full shelves and lots of brands! You can't take that away!!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Saganlives posted:

I often fantasize about a godking on high issuing a decree that every product must be branded as the top-most company that owns all the subsidiaries, so its stupidly obvious just how much corporate capture there is. People wouldn't be able to deny it when their grocery store is stocked with literally 3 total brands.

Hey

I had that idea too, independently of you

Let's put them next to each other on the ideas shelf and see who wins

But seriously, that would be great. Mars brand Whiskas Cat Food

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Bandcamp. Used to be that you had unlimited streaming for albums in your wishlist, regardless of whether or not you bought them. Now you might get a track or two before a nag screen comes up to ask that you "open your wallet" for the artist. I don't mind supporting indie artists on Bandcamp, but I don't like pressure tactics like that (and I blame Bandcamp for that; not the artists).

Not a change, artists have the ability to adjust this. Can't say if the default settings have been changed though.

https://get.bandcamp.help/hc/en-us/articles/360007803174-What-are-streaming-limits-on-Bandcamp

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
What’s every one’s opinion on Target limiting self check outs to ten items or less in the future?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

nbakyfan posted:

What’s every one’s opinion on Target limiting self check outs to ten items or less in the future?

Does Target do that thing where they have 14 checkout stands but only 1 open? Because it's going to be kind of a weird issue if they want to enforce that.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

the Smith's by my house is now 6 self-checkouts in one tiny rear end section ONLY (usually 1 or 2 closed) after 6PM and 20 item limit, no questions

it is a lovely part of town but lol it's making things so chaotic now

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

ShopRite checkout decided I bagged a glass soda bottle wrong so I had to twiddle my thumbs while the person eventually came over. Like gently caress that. At the very least let me continue with my order but no technology has to be used in the worst way possible the majority of the time. It's just such poo poo.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I picked up some grocery store sushi a few days ago and did the self checkout because it was only one item. I'm super anti-self-checkout as I've stated in here but it was just one item. I entered my phone number as the "Alternative ID" (dumb loving tracking cards that give you a "discount") and it said it wasn't recognized. Ah ok gently caress it, I just want to get out of here because my card won't give me a discount on this single item anyway.

I scanned my item and I hit the "Pay" button once and for no reason it said "Help is on the way!"

Young girl came over and unlocked it, I said I didn't know what I did and she didn't either. Oh well thanks.

"Pay"

"Help is on the way!"

Young girl came over and unlocked it, I said I didn't know what I did and she didn't either. Oh well thanks.

"Pay"

"Help is on the way!"

Young girl came over and unlocked it and I asked her to start the whole process over because I was suspecting that my Alt ID was loving everything up for some reason. She grabs a new store card out of her drawer and scans it and gives it to me and then it works.

It's just lovely tech.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Burning down the House -- Talking Heads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3eC35LoF4U

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
lost in the supermarket - the clash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZw23sWlyG0

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I used to work retail management, and one of the explicit goals when the order came down to reduce front end labor hours (and therefore reduce the number of cashiers) was to "incentive" online pickup ordering

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Rochallor posted:

the last time i had to file forms with the atf it took them 19 months to tell me they forgot to start looking at it and that they'd lost my fingerprints

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Did it once or twice when COVID was in full swing. Id rather pick the items myself because im not selecting that bruised rear end apple or past due bananas and that's all you get if you order pickup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Waste of Breath posted:

Not a change, artists have the ability to adjust this. Can't say if the default settings have been changed though.

https://get.bandcamp.help/hc/en-us/articles/360007803174-What-are-streaming-limits-on-Bandcamp

I assumed it was the new corporate leadership that had taken over Bandcamp. Oh well.