Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Fun, not serious theory. Hollow was from Cloud, Promises to Keep was from Aerith. Square's said the three "view points" of FF7 are Cloud, Aerith and Sephiroth. Does that mean that Re3's song us going to be from Sephiroth's point of view?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It's gonna be a song where the lyrics are "I'm Gina stab everyone!" Over and over again, with it in Latin at the very end.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

RC Cola posted:

What is the best new song and why is it jenova

1 (tied). Mt Corel Dungeon and Battle
2. Bow Wow Wow Bow Wow Wow
3. Everything else

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh hey, saw a cool observation just now. One of Cait Sith’s fortunes when he first meets Cloud and Barret is “Watch your belongings. Lucky color: black.”

Remember what Cloud finds in his pocket at the end?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I just beat the game and after a quick shower I feel like such a dumb baby for... kind of having Aerith's death whiff completely over my head due to not really understanding the ambiguity and being barrelled straight into a multi-stage final boss rush (including one where I spent way too long on because neither Barret, Yuffie, or Red had any magic materia equipped).

The entire final set of cutscenes was me going "IS SHE DEAD OR WHAT" lol

It is a really interesting decision to have the immediate grief fallout of Aerith's death on Cloud's unreliable rear end because we really don't get to see much of the party process it at all. With that said, seeing Tifa completely shattered over the loss did hit me amidst all the confusion.

The sheer... Anticipation I felt leading through the Forgotten Capital was an incredible feeling. And for a brief moment I thought Cloud really did it and having it dawn across me through to the credits was like a stone slowly sinking in a pool.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Harrow posted:

I don't think it's just that Cloud's crazy. Red XIII reacts to Aerith's presence at the end as well--clearly there's something real there, and not just a hallucination. Same for the rift in the sky. I just think that doesn't necessarily means that he created a new timeline where Aerith survived. Aerith's actions after being stabbed just seem so... well, "I'm dead and I know it," for lack of a better description.

Part of this is also based on what Marlene says to Zack: that if Aerith wakes up in their world, she will die, and that if Cloud is still sick, he can't save her. Both of those things happen (or don't happen): Aerith wakes up in the other world, and Cloud is still very, very sick at the end. If it was something like "he saved her but Sephiroth twisted the timeline" or "he saved her but the others outside the Whisper wall can't see that timeline" that wouldn't really line up, assuming we believe Marlene knows what she's talking about.

I feel like the idea that "Aerith must die in every possible universe" is far weirder than whatever weirdness you are feeling from the idea that she was saved in another universe that isn't the one we're in. I read it as "there might be another universe in which she was saved, but Sephiroth forced us into this one where she's dead." Which makes sense with him trying to size control over fate and all timelines.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 16, 2024

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
lol wrong thread

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 16, 2024

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Remake had that one on one chat with a party member at Aerith's house near the end, and Rebirth had the date, I wonder what the big bonding moment in the third game will be? A final chat just before the return to the Northern Crater for the final fight?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You’re going to see that rainbow swirl while Cloud and Tifa are boning in the grass and the little “Zack and Aerith have joined the party” is gonna pop in.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RuBisCO posted:

It is a really interesting decision to have the immediate grief fallout of Aerith's death on Cloud's unreliable rear end because we really don't get to see much of the party process it at all. With that said, seeing Tifa completely shattered over the loss did hit me amidst all the confusion.

I think everything came together really well in the last scene with the Bronco being repaired. They did an amazing job fleshing out how close Aerith and Tifa were and seeing Tifa completely destroyed with grief while Cloud is just off in his own world, not able to comfort her in any way, was what really got me.

Rhonne posted:

Remake had that one on one chat with a party member at Aerith's house near the end, and Rebirth had the date, I wonder what the big bonding moment in the third game will be? A final chat just before the return to the Northern Crater for the final fight?

Under the Highwind with Barrett

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Finished it, thought it ruled, moderately confused by the ending, but the thing that's kinda stuck in my craw is that it's a little weird to start with the Kalm flashback and not really pay that off in the ending. I was kind of assuming they'd combine some of the stuff from Northern Crater in the original with the Forgotten Capital just to give the middle chapter more of an arc, but they didn't. Oh well.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Arist posted:

Finished it, thought it ruled, moderately confused by the ending, but the thing that's kinda stuck in my craw is that it's a little weird to start with the Kalm flashback and not really pay that off in the ending. I was kind of assuming they'd combine some of the stuff from Northern Crater in the original with the Forgotten Capital just to give the middle chapter more of an arc, but they didn't. Oh well.

It's also weird that they revealed the fact that Zack was there, but it didn't matter much in the plot. Maybe they have different plans for the reveal in the northern crater.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the Kalm thing is less about Zack and more about emphasizing to the audience how hosed up Cloud is, and that *does* pay off in the ending

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Spermando posted:

It's also weird that they revealed the fact that Zack was there, but it didn't matter much in the plot. Maybe they have different plans for the reveal in the northern crater.

Cloud had to remember that Zack was a person who existed and was friends with because otherwise, he would be very confused when this black haired SOLDIER showed up to help him.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Finished the game last night. Count me in as another person confused by what had happened going into the jenova fight but I more-or-less got it as it went along. Didn't read the aesthetic cues right so I thought the parrying into death had to do with the merging of worlds rather than Cloud's crazy rear end. Last boss was a bit long but I quite liked the ending. Last few scenes with the party hit like a truck. Got chills in the mourning scene at the capital when Cloud is sitting and turns around to look at (ghost?) Aerith and they played the opening sting. And then things just got more ominous from there.

Glad they let Cloud's VA flex with those last two chapters. The scene at the end of chapter 13 where he's chasing Aerith for the black materia was especially haunting.

If we're talking favorite music, Cait Sith's theme's got me good since I did his tutorial. Kitty got such a glow-up in general it's insane.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Cloud's voice acting during the chase is genuinely excellent. It is a fantastic mix of scary and pathetic that is genuinely more disturbing than if he waa stone silent or furious or whatever. He sounds and acts utterly servile and it is some grade A Renfield poo poo

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I don't know what you're talking about, Cloud is fine. He's okay. Let's get moving

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the scenes with aerith in the alternate world also did a good job of highlighting just how corpse-like his delivery had been for the last six hours

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Not quite corpse-like, but they really sell how Sepiroth's influence is getting to him all throughout chapter 13. His "Are you finished?" after Aerith's pep talk in the chamber of trials got me to drop a jesus out loud.

One little moment I really love is after the demon wall when he's slashing at the wall to break it down and he turns around to look at the party with just the most sad and kinda pathetic expression on his face. Very brief moment but it really tells you where he's at and sets up everything that comes after that really well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I regret reading this thread because I think I've been talked into believing the "Aerith's alive in another timeline" theory over "Cloud is seeing Aerith's ghost" theory and I gotta be honest, I really, really hate that. Like a lot. To the degree that I find it difficult to put into words how dumb I think that is, both as an ending for this game and a setup for the next.

Something that's kind of gnawing at me a bit: I keep thinking about the argument people had after Remake, that if they'd just followed the story of the original, it would've been boring. After Rebirth, I gotta say I think that is 100% bullshit. At least 95% of Rebirth is either an adaptation or expansion of something from the original, or new stuff that fits into a gap or adds new lore around the edges (things like the new Gi and Black Materia stuff). And all of that is rad as hell, it's exciting, a lot of it feels new because it has new twists on familiar things or exciting new version of those things. It's anything but boring.

Rebirth is amazing but I now very firmly believe it would've been even better without the Whispers and multiverse stuff. Every other new, changed, or expanded thing, I like. If that makes me an entitled purist, well, that's unfortunate but I guess that's how it's gotta be. I don't think it does--again, I like a lot of the new and changed elements--but people tend to take it that way so I might as well just accept it.

Like I find it almost maddening how they can get so much right, extremely right, more right than I ever imagined, but then staple this multiverse plot tumor onto the side that sours the whole thing for me.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 17, 2024

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It wouldn't have been boring if they'd followed the original, and I can only speak for myself, but personally I just vastly prefer this direction

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, and I want to be clear I'm only speaking for myself. I don't want to rain on anyone else's parade and I'll probably bow out of this thread soon after this so that I don't. But nobody I know in real life has played Rebirth so this is the only place I have to get things like this out of my head. Apologies for the negativity.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

they want shady posted:

Finished the game last night. Count me in as another person confused by what had happened going into the jenova fight but I more-or-less got it as it went along. Didn't read the aesthetic cues right so I thought the parrying into death had to do with the merging of worlds rather than Cloud's crazy rear end.

I think it's kinda a mixture of both? Stuff like Cloud seeing the rift in the sky when it isn't there reads like Cloud's getting mental interference from other worlds.

Harrow posted:

I regret reading this thread because I think I've been talked into believing the "Aerith's alive in another timeline" theory over "Cloud is seeing Aerith's ghost" theory and I gotta be honest, I really, really hate that. Like a lot. To the degree that I find it difficult to put into words how dumb I think that is, both as an ending for this game and a setup for the next.

I don't know if I buy that theory tbqh

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 17, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Even if there is an Aerth in another timeline, I don't think it is our Aerith. I'm pretty sure she is 100% for real dead. The last scene is her saying goodbye to her friends.

I do think she'll show up again but I really, really, really don't think they're bullshitting us with Aerith being dead. She's dead. She is just also the last member of an ancient race of magical beings who canonically remain in the lifestream for some time after their death and are able to communicate and influence with the real world in some fashion. (Which is also true of FF7.)

poo poo "Aerith and Zack's ghosts encourage and help Cloud" is how Advent Children ends.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

also the setup is deliberately ambiguous so it's not really worth definitively picking an explanation and getting mad about it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Even if there is an Aerth in another timeline, I don't think it is our Aerith. I'm pretty sure she is 100% for real dead. The last scene is her saying goodbye to her friends.

I do think she'll show up again but I really, really, really don't think they're bullshitting us with Aerith being dead. She's dead. She is just also the last member of an ancient race of magical beings who canonically remain in the lifestream for some time after their death and are able to communicate and influence with the real world in some fashion. (Which is also true of FF7.)

poo poo "Aerith and Zack's ghosts encourage and help Cloud" is how Advent Children ends.

Well right, this is why I like the "Aerith's a ghost" read better. It's consistent with how we know the Lifestream works, and how we see both Aerith and Zack in Advent Children. And yeah, Aerith would absolutely be the one to be able to maintain her presence and identity within the Lifestream and be able to continue to act. That was my initial read on Sephiroth's "I underestimated you" to her--that he was surprised and a little impressed that she could hold herself together in the Lifestream like he did.

But god, all the rainbow color stuff, Tifa possibly seeing both versions of events, Cloud seeing the rift in the sky at the end, etc., all of that really seems to point to Aerith being alive, just in another timeline (with her own other Cloud, Tifa, Barret, etc.? I mean, if it's a whole other timeline, there should be versions of everyone else, right?), and not in the Lifestream ghost sense, but in the "Cloud succeeded at saving her but it didn't stick in our timeline for timey-wimey reasons" sense.

I dunno. I think I'm always going to wish we'd gotten a remake that didn't have these timeline multiverse elements, no matter how this all shakes out. It's going to bug me for as much of the rest of my life as I care about FF7, however long that ends up being. Not a 1:1 remake, not a remake with limited or no changes, not at all, just not one with... this.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, that's what I got out of it too. She explicitly mentions working to stop Meteor, and that only works if she's back in the lifestream.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Augus posted:

I don't know if I buy that theory tbqh

i do, and it's good

the aerith cloud interacts with in the ending is the dead one for one track, but in another, cloud successfully diverted the blade and she wakes up. zack's final line about "why can't worlds unite again" (reunion, in other words) leaves open the possibility that we might be able to bring one over to the other

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

also the setup is deliberately ambiguous so it's not really worth definitively picking an explanation and getting mad about it

The last scene is her wandering around the ground, seemingly unnoticed by everyone except Cloud and briefly Red XIII (the animal guy who is closely associated with the Planet as well.) She shows no signs of being actual part of the world, such as not responding to the backfire of the Tiny Bronco. She talks to Cloud in a way that is pretty easy to read as her saying goodbye post-death and the last shot is her standing sadly there saying "goodbye."

Like in a vacuum maybe I could buy it being ambiguous but we know for a fact that Aerith continues to fight in the lifestream after her death even in the original game and it is her prayer in the lifestream that saves the planet in the original game. She's going off to do that.

All the other stuff is Cloud's Brain Bad or building up for the inevitable super epic megaboss that we're going to fight at the end of Part 3 when Sephiroth attempts to devour the timestream or something and everyone comes back to beat him up in a cool epic fight that occurs... I don't know, let's say on Meteor itself.

Like "there is an Aerith in another timeline" is maybe a thing. There's a Marlene and an Elmyra and a Kyrie in another timeline, there's probably one out there were Aerith isn't dead. I just don't think it will be relevant to the story because like... what's the outcome going to be in that situation? Even if you think they're angling for an extra happy ending for Zack and Aerith, "Zack and Aerith are alive in another timeline" is presumably true no matter what because timelines.

I also admit that I just have no reason to doubt their statement that the story will lead to Advent Children and that literally relies on Aerith and Zack being extremely fuckin' dead.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, Cloud is very explicitly seeing timeline fuckery in some capacity in the ending

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

i do, and it's good

the aerith cloud interacts with in the ending is the dead one for one track, but in another, cloud successfully diverted the blade and she wakes up. zack's final line about "why can't worlds unite again" (reunion, in other words) leaves open the possibility that we might be able to bring one over to the other

Wakes up from what? If she didn’t get stabbed what is she waking up from

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Augus posted:

her consciousness is jetting around timelines and locales for the whole final chapter, it could be any number of things. she even thanks cloud for blocking the blade when she joins him for the last bout against sephiroth

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

I mean, Cloud is very explicitly seeing timeline fuckery in some capacity in the ending

Oh, yeah, no, Cloud is absolutely seeing something weird, but I think it's the result of all the brain/soul fuckery. I just don't think it's that Aerth got stabbed and her soul teleported to another dimension where she also survived.

Like one big thing I feel gets ignored is that there isn't a 'split timeline' there. Cloud saves Aerith, knocks the Masamune away, and then it flashes and Aerith collapses to the ground with the White Materia rolling away.

But... the second part remains true from then on out. Aerith is always collapsed in Cloud's arms. Him seeing her talking and smiling vs everyone else seeing her corpse doesn't change that. Cloud can't have 'deflected the sword' because even if you're arguing there are two different timelines, why would Cloud be cradling her wounded body if he pulled off a perfect parry?

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Augus posted:

It's from the timeline where Sepiroth cast Sleep instead of Stab.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, Cloud is fine. He's okay. Let's get moving

It's not a reunion, it's a homecoming

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This is perhaps meaner than I should be, but I think they've been careless enough with red herrings and contradictions so far that I don't really think the way Aerith is lying in any given scene is relevant, because I don't trust that they put that much thought into it that went deeper than "it'd be a really striking image if she woke up in Cloud's arms in this shot."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, yeah, no, Cloud is absolutely seeing something weird, but I think it's the result of all the brain/soul fuckery. I just don't think it's that Aerth got stabbed and her soul teleported to another dimension where she also survived.

Like one big thing I feel gets ignored is that there isn't a 'split timeline' there. Cloud saves Aerith, knocks the Masamune away, and then it flashes and Aerith collapses to the ground with the White Materia rolling away.

But... the second part remains true from then on out. Aerith is always collapsed in Cloud's arms. Him seeing her talking and smiling vs everyone else seeing her corpse doesn't change that. Cloud can't have 'deflected the sword' because even if you're arguing there are two different timelines, why would Cloud be cradling her wounded body if he pulled off a perfect parry?

she's not wounded in the scene where she wakes up - there's no blood, while the spreading bloodstain is the first image used to denote the timeline where she dies. she's unconscious and then she awakens

more broadly i'm sticking with this theory because the question of whether aerith lives or dies and more broadly the intractability/malleability of canon have been the driving questions behind the remakes and this lets that conversation continue instead of falling into "ff7, but with more wutaian politics" for the third entry. i'm also strongly against writing off cloud's visions as "brain fuckery" because the remake's ending makes it clear that there's something extraordinary about him that's attracting edge-of-creation sephiroth's attention. if there are multiple sephiroths as SE stated, then one of them is doing the usual routine where he's trying to reduce cloud to just another thrall, but another is approaching him on more egalitarian terms, and that's because he's able to see and interact with other iterations of the Planet just as sephiroth can

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

This is perhaps meaner than I should be, but I think they've been careless enough with red herrings and contradictions so far that I don't really think the way Aerith is lying in any given scene is relevant, because I don't trust that they put that much thought into it that went deeper than "it'd be a really striking image if she woke up in Cloud's arms in this shot."

Like... I get what you're saying but I think it can't go both ways. It's hard for me buy that there's some ongoing incredibly subtle plot about multiple timelines denoated entirely by what cartoon dog appears in a background detail but also they didn't really think or care about how a character was lying down.

Oxxidation posted:

she's not wounded in the scene where she wakes up - there's no blood, while the spreading bloodstain is the first image used to denote the timeline where she dies. she's unconscious and then she awakens

Why is she unconscious though? We see what happens in Cloud's mind/the other timeline/whatever: He blocks the sword and actually sends the Masamune flying, where it lands on the ground well away from the still-praying Aerith.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

Honestly, Aerith opening her eyes just brought to mind Biggs and Zack’s stories about waking up after they thought they were goners. The fact that Cloud is there I took as him mentally straddling between the living and Lifestream worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Like... I get what you're saying but I think it can't go both ways. It's hard for me buy that there's some ongoing incredibly subtle plot about multiple timelines denoated entirely by what cartoon dog appears in a background detail but also they didn't really think or care about how a character was lying down.

That's what I mean when I say I'm probably being more unkind than I should be, yeah. Like you're probably right and I'm just in an uncharitable mood.