Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Abandoning classic style Schmups for Bullet Hells is where we fell into decline as a culture and people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
agree. bullet hells are for tryhards, shmups are for diehards

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

America is already a bullet hell irl

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

deep dish peat moss posted:

America is already a bullet hell irl

:drat:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
"Shmup" :rolleyes:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I was lamenting how Ys and Trails etc. all look like lovely anime, and of course had to recognize that they always did it's just that lovely anime used to look like Ys instead of this poo poo.

What I'm saying is anime should still all look like Record of Lodoss War and Ys should still be cool.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
We need to stop with the eastern and western and pacific front bs in ww2. We have enough games parroting the boring myths.
Wheres the french or polish fronts? Wheres the japanese-chinese wars?
Hell how about you don't make ot ww2 but make it korean war?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

haddedam posted:

We need to stop with the eastern and western and pacific front bs in ww2. We have enough games parroting the boring myths.

preach

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I want a game set in the opium wars, really weird time in history, but I guess kind of hard to make a balanced game out of one side side using overwhelming technological advancements to steamroll other people and destroy their civilization with drugs.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
it's really easy to make a game about a lone plucky hero fighting alone against a huge almost undefeatable enemy
just don't make it a strategy / map game

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
A game about Japan's WWII campaign in China would cause a loving supernova of hurt feelings. The studio that did it would never do business in Asia again.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Khanstant posted:

I want a game set in the opium wars, really weird time in history, but I guess kind of hard to make a balanced game out of one side side using overwhelming technological advancements to steamroll other people and destroy their civilization with drugs.

Victoria II

haddedam posted:

Rise of the White Sun is a game about guiding the KMT, or other faction through the civil wars and invasion, it's quite fun although pretty buggy last time I played.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

SilvergunSuperman posted:

That game blew my mind as a kid

:haibrow: My buddy in class was describing it to me, and it was real my-uncle-works-for-Nintendo poo poo

Then my cousin got a Jaguar + the game and my mind was loving blown

haddedam posted:

Panzer General had both the French and Polish fronts. I also think Avalon Hill/SGS made a pretty decent Korean War game

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
its been exactly 31 days since i last played dota, despite the insistence of former teammates that i come back for "one more game", the delusion of labeling myself "retired" has destroyed any niggling interest

its nice to go into a steam sale and see a bunch of games that i know i'll now play because dota isn't any kind of distraction so that steam sale i've picked up:

Yakuza 7 - basically rounding off the collection, i've still not got to 4 or 5

Warhammer 40k: Boltgun - I love FPS, I used to kinda like Warhammer, looks great

Persona 5 Royal - Loved persona 4, only played about 20 hours of vanilla 5, love the music, it had me jigging this morning

Resident Evil 3 (2020) - Kinda rounding out the collection again, £8 was enough for me, prolly save it till autumn though

Dave the Diver - Watched the trailer for this was instantly sold, hope it lives up to the expectation

AND

*DRUMROLL PLEASE*

The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim Special Edition - I've only played Skyrim once before, at launch, on an old laptop which was the only gaming device I owned at the time, I put in about 50 hours, got to the end and loved it, I'm a massive Elder Scrolls simp and I'm super looking foward to playing it on a modern system, probably with a few mods for flavour.

So to answer the age old question, what happens when you quit mobas, you become someone one of those people still buying Skyrim in two thousand and twenty loving four

gg's all, really enjoying my videogame variety now that dota is behind

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yeah i liked dave the diver a lot. i didn't actually finish it but it's good poo poo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

All joking aside, this is the biggest reason I don't like to get sucked into eternal service games. There are so many really great games I will never have time to play and dedicating so much potential gaming time to spending hours turning other people or myself into losers feels like so a bad reality when we could all just be saving or destroying whole worlds and then bouncing to new ones after

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The cool thing about live service games is if you stop playing for, like, 4 days the desire to log back on almost completely evaporates.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Khanstant posted:

All joking aside, this is the biggest reason I don't like to get sucked into eternal service games. There are so many really great games I will never have time to play and dedicating so much potential gaming time to spending hours turning other people or myself into losers feels like so a bad reality when we could all just be saving or destroying whole worlds and then bouncing to new ones after

I'd love another Dota, TF2, Unreal Tournament, Myth 2, Nox (the pvp mutiplayer) but unfortunately the games that could be games you could spend months/years playing now typically don't have enough people or are terrible manipulative garbage. I like single player games I just don't like looking for games, and spending time installing/learning only to decide it isn't for me.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 17, 2024

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Blazing Lazers/Gunhed
Lords of Thunder and Gates of Thunder
R-Type
Super Star Soldier, Final Soldier, Soldier Blade
Cho Aniki

The PCE was in exactly the right place at the right time for the golden age of shoot-'em-ups and was the best home hardware on the market for them. The very early days of the Megadrive/Genesis got some of that, too, but by the time the SFC/SNES arrived the genre was already fading.

Thank you for these!

Also, uh, i just started playing cho aniki (on the saturn) and holy poo poo this game is the absolute greatest. I highly recommend experiencing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sShwNYZkpc

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Happy for you bro, I feel like I've fallen in love with videogames again after not liking them for a long time, so I think we probably share similar feelings right about now. I'm even considering doing some really wild poo poo and trying stuff that I've trashed in this thread for years.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

I'd love another Dota, TF2, Unreal Tournament, Myth 2, Nox (the pvp mutiplayer) but unfortunately the games that could be games you could spend months/years playing now typically don't have enough people or are terrible manipulative garbage. I like single player games I just don't like looking for games, and spending time installing/learning only to decide it isn't for me.

This is why helldivers 2 owns

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

The Moon Monster posted:

The cool thing about live service games is if you stop playing for, like, 4 days the desire to log back on almost completely evaporates.

Much like smoking cigarettes, although I got twinges for War Thunder for a month or so after I quit

Yeah I wanna get on this when I have time and a good PC again

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

It's co-op. Co-op is alright but never really sinks its teeth into me. I might feel different if I had friends, but I also like the ability to be able to play a game when I want.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That's fair. I think Helldivers 2 might be the only game I haven't seen anyone say "it's bad" about, even if it's not for them

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

That's fair. I think Helldivers 2 might be the only game I haven't seen anyone say "it's bad" about, even if it's not for them

I should still probably give it a go while there are people playing it, as it could easily be a ghost town in a year.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Helldivers 2 looks like the kind of fun I had in Section 8: Prejudice, but I don't have the money right now, and there's definitely some creeping FOMO because S8P had a slight revival and then completely died dead

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I hear a lot of chatter about Helldivers2, and some of it is about gamers being weird toxic competitive people about optimal meta and whatnot. Just a reminder that Deep Rock Galactic is still out there, being its amazing self.

------------

Unpopular video game opinion: 'Grand Strategy' games where a mistake, the very best of them are Paradox titles (and all that entails), while most of the are knockoff 4x cargo cult shallow junk.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's very not for me, all I know is it's online and shooting and that just doesn't look like anything to me. I think if I played it I wouldn't be able to say it's bad, I'd just wonder why I blacked out and what I did during my lost time.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

Unpopular Gaming Opinions: Deep Dish Peat Moss Likes A Game

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Khanstant posted:

It's very not for me, all I know is it's online and shooting and that just doesn't look like anything to me. I think if I played it I wouldn't be able to say it's bad, I'd just wonder why I blacked out and what I did during my lost time.

I've never played it, anyway here is what i think of it,

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

sebmojo posted:

I've never played it, anyway here is what i think of it,

What kind of gamer needs to play a video game to know it sucks? They should just know.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Now in fairness you don't need to play Star Citizen or one of those NFT games to know you won't enjoy it.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Grand Strategy would have been fine if it didn't get dominated by Paradox, the studio that releases 1/20th of a game and makes you pay out the rear end for the privilege of beta testing the rest of it over the next 10 years.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I'm just glad they made the console version of Stellaris actually playable with a controller to the point that playing with a mouse and keyboard seems like a step backwards in my mind.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Grand Strategy would have been fine if it didn't get dominated by Paradox, the studio that releases 1/20th of a game and makes you pay out the rear end for the privilege of beta testing the rest of it over the next 10 years.

The best part is they flog the dead horse so much now that the games actually get worse every DLC and patch. EUIV hasn't been anything resembling fun since Art of War 3 years ago and they're still chugging.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Duck and Cover posted:

Buying Half-Life in '98 was the ultimate money saver. For $40, you got HL and TFC off the bat, and then people made dozens of :krad: mods for the next 8 years. Mods covered evey genre: WW2, modern war, Zombies, Matrix, Aliens, racing, psychedelic, action, walking simulators, and more.

Now, devs lock everything down so no one ever gets to expand upon a good engine with good assets. Gotta get that dlc money.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Nah.

Paradox games are fine at 1.0.
I play them lot at launch and then forget them forever.

DLC churn is for the people who want to play 1000s of hours and years for the same game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Issaries posted:

Nah.

Paradox games are fine at 1.0.
I play them lot at launch and then forget them forever.

DLC churn is for the people who want to play 1000s of hours and years for the same game.

Victoria 3 is the single most disappointing thing I've ever experienced. Not just in games, in anything.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Happy for you bro, I feel like I've fallen in love with videogames again after not liking them for a long time, so I think we probably share similar feelings right about now. I'm even considering doing some really wild poo poo and trying stuff that I've trashed in this thread for years.

lmao if william henry hairytaint starts playing dota

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

getting the Crusader Kings II Thelma & Louise event after I bought SoI was one of the funniest things that ever happened to me in a singleplayer videogame