Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

FWIW i did a verify integrity on steam yesterday, which fixed three files; haven't crashed since

I heard people recommending this, tried it, and had Steam report three corrupted files for me, too. That left me wondering if there was some sort of glitch in a patch rollout, because that's the only time I've ever had this happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I've had a lot more crashes since the most recent patch, and my gpu is running a lot hotter than before too. Verified files and nothing was fixed, still get new and interesting crashed every now and then.

Alkydere posted:

got the plasma shotgun and not sure if I love or hate it.

Mainly wish the projectile had a little more speed/less drop. Or direct hits hurt a bit more.

I'm in the same space but I've only run a couple of missions with it, and only against bots. It does good work but it's odd to use, it'll probably be pretty good when we all get more skilled with it. How does it fair against bugs? I imagine a little worse much in the same way the scorcher has issues with anything getting point blank in your face.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Since the new bit automaton mech was already spoiled... I mean I'm just going to talk about it vaguely but afaik it was being tested pre-launch. The geometry of the model makes me ask: isn't this going to get stuck? Big fat model that's low to thr ground.

Unlike bile titans which have really long legs to compensate, though those still get stuck sometimes. New mech will probably be fine if they spawn it in a forest or open ground but it's going to look real jank in a base.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BeAuMaN posted:

Since the new bit automaton mech was already spoiled... I mean I'm just going to talk about it vaguely but afaik it was being tested pre-launch. The geometry of the model makes me ask: isn't this going to get stuck? Big fat model that's low to thr ground.

Unlike bile titans which have really long legs to compensate, though those still get stuck sometimes. New mech will probably be fine if they spawn it in a forest or open ground but it's going to look real jank in a base.

Chargers have stumpy legs but no problem teleporting their way onto cliffs to chase jetpack users or smash my stun mortar turret. However unlike chargers, I expect new robots will not care if they get stuck on high ground they cheated their way onto because it will probably have a gun.

So my main concern is "It will probably be immune to autocannons and AMR from the front and/or above it."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 17, 2024

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Maybe though charger is in a different category. Just image a stubby legged bile titan trying to traverse between two relatively close together factories. Or between mountains. If that makes sense.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Late to this but the Sickle does visibly start venting steam when it's about to overheat, and its projectiles become fuzzier and distort a little.

On that note, has anyone noticed regular guns shoot red tracers to show when you're about to run out in your current mag? Either that's new or I never noticed it before.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Just started playing this and it's dope. I was having trouble with the automatons until I unlocked the first shotgun, being able to stagger the melee chainsaw hand guys makes them a lot more manageable.

The original game had a third enemy, do we know if they are gonna make an appearance at some point?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

FunkyFjord posted:

I'm in the same space but I've only run a couple of missions with it, and only against bots. It does good work but it's odd to use, it'll probably be pretty good when we all get more skilled with it. How does it fair against bugs? I imagine a little worse much in the same way the scorcher has issues with anything getting point blank in your face.

It does decent damage and you can clean out the trash pretty well since they die to the splash. I think the splash makes it pretty good against the medium and big bugs too as it damages their limbs. Only died to self-inflicted damage once and that was with a brood commander was in my face and about to remove it anyways.

Honestly I'd love it more if the shots were easier to place, i.e. faster and with less drop. I imagine against bots who mostly stand at range and shoot it's probably good for lobbing shots.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Any field reports on the Arc-12 Blitzer or the Las-7 Dagger in the new warbond? I can't decide which to go for first, but the Punisher Plasma shotgun was a disappointment compared to the Sickle from the 1st page.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I heard people recommending this, tried it, and had Steam report three corrupted files for me, too. That left me wondering if there was some sort of glitch in a patch rollout, because that's the only time I've ever had this happen.

it seems to reoccur after patches. i'm not 100% (or even 80%) sure but it definitely feels more stable after a repair at least until the next patch fucks things up again

network disconnects might be a different issue

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Qubee posted:

I use Eagle Cluster Bomb on bug nests and it'll eradicate most - if not all - bug holes. I love it for bug nests, it's completed before we even set foot inside. For egg missions where you gotta go destroy those big egg bases, it's hit or miss because of the geometry of the surrounding landscape. I used to use grenade launcher but I found it underwhelming for killing armoured bugs so I prefer running with an EAT.

Cluster bombs seal bug holes?! Well gently caress, that's a way better option than airstrikes then. I had been assuming that all of the "not effective against armor" stratagems couldn't seal tunnels, but I guess cluster bombs are probably still tagged as explosive.

For eggs I usually have a flamethrower on hand for bug missions, so I can just power-wash them down pretty quickly. Failing that, they're usually clustered enough that a couple impact grenades will clear enough to complete the location.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Apple Craft posted:

Any field reports on the Arc-12 Blitzer or the Las-7 Dagger in the new warbond? I can't decide which to go for first, but the Punisher Plasma shotgun was a disappointment compared to the Sickle from the 1st page.

I have not personally tested out the Dagger, but all reports I have from people I know and trust say that it sucks: its DPS is just so terrible that if you had to actually rely on it to live, you'd be dead long before the infinite ammo aspect was ever relevant.

I have personally tried out the Arc-12 Blitzer and it's... a good enough shotgun. The arc-ing is nice, as is its capacity to harm things that are harmed by explosive damage, but it just does not have the staying power or armor penetration to last against most serious engagements long term. A single Hive Guard can stonewall you, for instance. Uh, bring it if you really hate Spewers with a fiery passion, but are also willing to go toe to toe with them, and have some other dedicated anti-medium armor support weapon?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
After playing succesfully today and yesterday, when I launch the game all I get is a black screen. I tried restarting and validating files, nothing. Anyone run into this?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I used to get black screen on launch when the servers were real bad. Something to do with how it orders the game boot maybe

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I've been encountering Automatons that look like the regular frontline troopers except they have these big flared shoulders that look like batwings. I haven't been able to get a good look at them because Draupnir is just chaos, but other than their appearance they don't seem very different in how they fight. Are they new or do they just show up at higher difficulties?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

So I've been encountering Automatons that look like the regular frontline troopers except they have these big flared shoulders that look like batwings. I haven't been able to get a good look at them because Draupnir is just chaos, but other than their appearance they don't seem very different in how they fight. Are they new or do they just show up at higher difficulties?

They've always been in, they have a jetpack but I think maybe they only use it to jump at you on 7+ because I've been doing level 5 bot missions today and haven't seen any fly.

e: They are probably only on some planets which may explain why they're new to you. Usually the enemy variants (like green artillery bugs instead of yellow spitter bugs) are only on certain planets.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 17, 2024

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
They really love to dive into your face so that the explosion of their backpack when they die also kills you

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Vanguard Warden posted:

Cluster bombs seal bug holes?! Well gently caress, that's a way better option than airstrikes then. I had been assuming that all of the "not effective against armor" stratagems couldn't seal tunnels, but I guess cluster bombs are probably still tagged as explosive.

For eggs I usually have a flamethrower on hand for bug missions, so I can just power-wash them down pretty quickly. Failing that, they're usually clustered enough that a couple impact grenades will clear enough to complete the location.

Cluster Bomb definitely cannot kill bug holes. You need Airstrike for that.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

cluster bombs close the helldivers who are in the nest you just called a cluster bomb on who are closing the holes at the time of the cluster bombing, so it may appear that the cluster bomb is doing something

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Apple Craft posted:

They are both bad. This warbond has been pretty disappointing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Any tips for when I seem caught in a cycle of being called down into the poo poo and can't stay alive long enough to get my bearings or find my lost support? Just sprint and sprint and sprint?

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

deep dish peat moss posted:

They've always been in, they have a jetpack but I think maybe they only use it to jump at you on 7+ because I've been doing level 5 bot missions today and haven't seen any fly.

e: They are probably only on some planets which may explain why they're new to you. Usually the enemy variants (like green artillery bugs instead of yellow spitter bugs) are only on certain planets.

I've been on level 3's and had them fly next to me, usually just as they are shot and explode.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i've watched pubbies plaster a bug nest with multiple clusterbombs with the only effect being to murder the guy tossing grenades into holes

not saying they can't close bug holes, but i've never seen it

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Any tips for when I seem caught in a cycle of being called down into the poo poo and can't stay alive long enough to get my bearings or find my lost support? Just sprint and sprint and sprint?

run away if you can. Like literally out of the zone. This can be tough on harder difficulties if its late in the mission as the patrol spawns will be insane, but sometimes you just need to get clear.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Jerkface posted:

cluster bombs close the helldivers who are in the nest you just called a cluster bomb on who are closing the holes at the time of the cluster bombing, so it may appear that the cluster bomb is doing something
Clusters can close holes and destroy fabricators, however it needs a direct hit with a bomblet down the hole/vents so it's just total luck where sometimes you get a bonus objective destruction rather than something you rely on.

E: I take clusters a significant amount of the time and I think I've had a total of 1 bot fabricator destruction and maybe a single digit more than that on bug holes, to give you an idea of how rare it is

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 17, 2024

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sucks to be playing for 20 minutes and then the connection gets lost right as a squad mate picks up the super samples. The netcode was better at launch, provided you could get on in the first place.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i think i've seen an airburst actually close a hole, tho, so maybe it really just is one of those when-the-stars-align things (or, in airburst's case, when the hole is at the perfect angle to and facing the destroyer in orbit)

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Insert name here posted:

Clusters can close holes and destroy fabricators, however it needs a direct hit with a bomblet down the hole/vents so it's just total luck where sometimes you get a bonus objective destruction rather than something you rely on.

E: I take clusters a significant amount of the time and I think I've had a total of 1 bot fabricator destruction and maybe a single digit more than that on bug holes, to give you an idea of how rare it is

I found a video on the subject and it seems like the positioning matters a lot to get cluster strike bomblets to land where they need to (the strike is a line perpendicular to your facing, and apparently drops from left to right, and for fabricator vents the line needs to be aligned toward the face of the fabricator). The video's poster also says in a pinned comment that a dev told him that it was a bug and would eventually not work anymore once they fixed it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Jack B Nimble posted:

This is why I use +grenade armor and hellpod space optimization: 6 grenades per life can go a surprisingly long way towards clearing out the poo poo before you die again.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jack B Nimble posted:

Pretty much. Diving/crouching is also a great way to get those chasing you to lose interest. Even better if you have the Scout trait on your armor. If necessary you can try to double back to your teammates and hope they peel off you. If you have a turret they're also decent distractions against the bugs and to much lesser extent the bots.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jossar posted:

Uh, bring it if you really hate Spewers with a fiery passion, but are also willing to go toe to toe with them, and have some other dedicated anti-medium armor support weapon?
Speaking of: I've become (situationally)scorcher pilled on bug missions, not for charger butts(I still think that is a really mediocre way to deal with them), but to kill spewers.
Basically, whenever I want to use something that isn't the grenade launcher on bug missions, I'll bring the scorcher because it pops them by shooting the sac very quickly. Obviously impact nades also help but they're not that great of a solution.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Jack B Nimble posted:

Upgrade the bridge to the third level so you can (usually) steer the hellpod away from baddies even when your team mates throw the beacon in a terrible place

If I'm in trouble running away from baddies i throw grenades backwards and dive a lot

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm growing to love impact grenades. Super handy to deal with those hive guard bugs with the armored heads.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Alkydere posted:

It does decent damage and you can clean out the trash pretty well since they die to the splash. I think the splash makes it pretty good against the medium and big bugs too as it damages their limbs. Only died to self-inflicted damage once and that was with a brood commander was in my face and about to remove it anyways.

Honestly I'd love it more if the shots were easier to place, i.e. faster and with less drop. I imagine against bots who mostly stand at range and shoot it's probably good for lobbing shots.

I've appreciated the plasma shotgun against berserkers because they tend to crowd up, it hits multiple areas of the robot, and it makes the whole group flinch

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm growing to love impact grenades. Super handy to deal with those hive guard bugs with the armored heads.

Yeah I'm trying the stun grenades and I like em but the impact grenades are so good I really miss them when I don't have them.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's real simple folks

Bugs nest? 500kg Bomb
Tunnel breach? 500kg Bomb
Bile titan? 500kg Bomb
Bot factory? 500kg Bomb
Drop ship? 500kg Bomb
Tanks? 500kg Bomb

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Today I randomly shot a world spawn Hellbomb in the middle of being chased by a handful of bugs and got a 55x killstreak instantly.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
In case anyone runs into the black screen and "SteamApp ID not Allowed" issue I was having, I found a fix online and it worked.

Restart the modem/router. It seemed unlikely to help, but it worked.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

EMS Strike, Stun Grenade or EMS Mortar seemed to work really well in conjunction with an ally with a flamethrower. Stunning a bunch of bugs so they could just be burned quickly and efficiently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Is the new premium warbond group buff for fewer encounters extremely strong? It's kind of hard to tell how much it's doing.