Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It was a model comped in behind a matte painting plate of the left side of the cars and the L train. You can see the matte lines a bit easier on repeat viewings, and particularly on the yellow car you can see how the back of the car moves with the explosion, but the left side of the car remains stock still, so the halves become slightly unaligned.

https://i.imgur.com/ImxiYq8.mp4

Great effect. I did notice the crumbling portion has different contrast/red tint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It was a model comped in behind a matte painting plate of the left side of the cars and the L train. You can see the matte lines a bit easier on repeat viewings, and particularly on the yellow car you can see how the back of the car moves with the explosion, but the left side of the car remains stock still, so the halves become slightly unaligned.

https://i.imgur.com/ImxiYq8.mp4

Neat!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
yeah that owns

movie magic ftmfw

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Also Carrie Fisher looked amazing in Blues Brothers (unsurprisingly)

Jake you fool

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Yeah the one problem I have with the movie is like, why is Jake not just smashing that 24/7 instead of trying to play in a band

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

That's a combo I think - some of the old art had beaks with the teeth as a sort of baleen inside which is what that seems to be aping. The magma fan art I posted about has a tri-part beak with teeth inside as well.

I've never read Dune. Are the different designs just some creative liberties being taken or did Herbert really never bother to describe what the worms looked like?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
He described it having a huge 80m mouth with hella teeth the shape of knives around the rim and it has cinnamon burps. He also describes it as a biggass worm, which pretty much perfectly describes the rest of the creature in perfect detail. What the gently caress else do you need? It's a big worm in the sand. Describe a worm. It's like a sandworm but smaller and no teeth.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
entertainment media is decadence

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

They're right

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Finally saw Dune pt. 2, first of all, holy poo poo shut the gently caress up.

Second of all, its kind of funny how every Fremen character is doing an exaggerated Middle Eastern accent and "LEAD US TO OUR PROMISED LAND OUR LONG AWAITED LISAN AL GAIB" flowery speech patterns, and then Zendaya is there and she's just, like, American.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

khwarezm posted:

Second of all, its kind of funny how every Fremen character is doing an exaggerated Middle Eastern accent and "LEAD US TO OUR PROMISED LAND OUR LONG AWAITED LISAN AL GAIB" flowery speech patterns, and then Zendaya is there and she's just, like, American.

Realistic. Americans do just randomly show up in places.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Sunk Dunk posted:

I watched Citizen Kane last night and while I enjoyed it, I wasn't wowed by it. I assume this is because it was a pioneering movie that did a bunch of poo poo no one else had done up until then. I think it would be like a young person watching The Matrix for the first time. Or maybe I'm just dumb as poo poo??

It’s the Dark Souls of cinema.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

khwarezm posted:

and then Zendaya is there and she's just, like, American.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
One thing that probably bothered me more than other things in DUNC2, none of the royalty and noble people talk and walk and carry themselves like they are loving special. All of them move and walk in really casual mannerism. I mean you just need to look at some modern state visit ceremonies to know people carry themselves differently when million eyes are looking at them. And the emperor talks like a head monk.

Didn't care for it. I watched DUNC1 again before 2. Can confirm I like 1984 version better.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think that clickbait could be an attempt to see if there are actually any extant self identifying kamala harris fans. So it has some anthropological value at least

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Sunk Dunk posted:

I watched Citizen Kane last night and while I enjoyed it, I wasn't wowed by it. I assume this is because it was a pioneering movie that did a bunch of poo poo no one else had done up until then. I think it would be like a young person watching The Matrix for the first time. Or maybe I'm just dumb as poo poo??

Can I ask a question, have you watched other movies from that era frequently?

The thing about Citizen Kane is that its own reputation kind of ruins the movie in a lot of ways since people go into it with their expectations wildly out of step, but if you are interested in the history of filmmaking there really are a lot of clever cinematography techniques that were very innovative and great shots and framings. Orson Welles is also world class in his performance, its amazing to think that he was 25 when he made the movie and convincingly portrays a man through his whole life. A lot of the stuff you see in Citizen Kane has become kind of commonplace since then, so it seems less special today.

This video might help with appreciating the cinematography a bit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rggypq_b98

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

[hasn't watched or read any version of dune] gahahaha! waste 'em, tablet

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
lol all these people falling over themselves to this day to praise some over long ad Wells got paid to make for Rosebud brand sleds.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

the best film ever made is fine. not great, but fine. don't see what the big deal is

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cubone posted:

the best film ever made is fine. not great, but fine. don't see what the big deal is

Yeah, if you want to see a good film watch the worst film ever made. Now that's amazing.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Make a black&white version of Madame Web and tell a cinephile it’s a lost print of a 1930s film and they’ll gush over it just as much as Citizen Kane, fact

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Snow globe rolling out of his hand. Enigmatic last words: “He was in the Amazon with my mom when she was researching spiders just before she died.”

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
BTW, even Citizen Kane's trailer is considered so influential and unusual for the time (and quite frankly now as well) that it has its own fairly long Wikipedia page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dxh3lwdOFw

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

khwarezm posted:

Can I ask a question, have you watched other movies from that era frequently?

The thing about Citizen Kane is that its own reputation kind of ruins the movie in a lot of ways since people go into it with their expectations wildly out of step, but if you are interested in the history of filmmaking there really are a lot of clever cinematography techniques that were very innovative and great shots and framings. Orson Welles is also world class in his performance, its amazing to think that he was 25 when he made the movie and convincingly portrays a man through his whole life. A lot of the stuff you see in Citizen Kane has become kind of commonplace since then, so it seems less special today.

This video might help with appreciating the cinematography a bit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rggypq_b98

Yeah it's a great movie and a classic, but I don't think it has a chance at wow'ing you anymore after seeing the subsequent 80 years of cinema that's been built off of it.

I still like it! It's a fun movie, it's shot in a way that still feels modern all the way from 1941, it's written and directed by a 26 year old wunderkind. It changed cinema and influenced countless people, but there's no way it's going to live up to the hype of ranking in the top of movies of all time.

Enjoy it for what it is, on it's own terms, and forget the hype. I feel that same way with 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Vertigo, and a few other movies from those top 10 of all time lists, they're good, I see their place in movie history, but I don't come out of them thinking "that was the best movie I've ever seen".

Also Citizen Kane has a good audio commentary by Roger Ebert, may be a fun watch to listen to that while watching and treat it like a video essay on why it has a place in movie history.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I think the reputation is entirely deserved, for me best movie of the 40's is a toss up between citizen kane and treasure of the sierra madre.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

piratepilates posted:

Yeah it's a great movie and a classic, but I don't think it has a chance at wow'ing you anymore after seeing the subsequent 80 years of cinema that's been built off of it.

I still like it! It's a fun movie, it's shot in a way that still feels modern all the way from 1941, it's written and directed by a 26 year old wunderkind. It changed cinema and influenced countless people, but there's no way it's going to live up to the hype of ranking in the top of movies of all time.

Enjoy it for what it is, on it's own terms, and forget the hype. I feel that same way with 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Vertigo, and a few other movies from those top 10 of all time lists, they're good, I see their place in movie history, but I don't come out of them thinking "that was the best movie I've ever seen".

Also Citizen Kane has a good audio commentary by Roger Ebert, may be a fun watch to listen to that while watching and treat it like a video essay on why it has a place in movie history.

Funnily enough, for me 2001 really did live up to the hype and not in a 'it was good for its time' kind of way, though I am sucker for Kubrick in general (his best movie is Barry Lyndon BTW, its one of the greatest pieces of cinema ever created).

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Stink Billyums posted:

I think the reputation is entirely deserved, for me best movie of the 40's is a toss up between citizen kane and treasure of the sierra madre.

Yeah for 1941 its really quite impressive, it came only like a decade after sound in movies even became a thing, and only a few decades in to movies really being a big thing. More time has passed from Citizen Kane coming out to now, than from Citizen Kane coming out to the invention of photography (don't fact check that plz).

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022

khwarezm posted:

Finally saw Dune pt. 2, first of all, holy poo poo shut the gently caress up.

Didn't they at least try to explain that in-movie though?

Where Zendaya, referring to Stilgar, says "He's from the south, couldn't you pick his accent?"

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Stink Billyums posted:

The 40s had such a good run of movies that absolutely clowned on basically everything until the late 60s, it’s unreal. And not in the medicine type of way, they’re all genuinely FUN movies to watch that feel like they could’ve been made today
Casablanca
His Girl Friday
The Third Man
Double Indemnity
even It’s a Wonderful Life is totally watchable today

khwarezm posted:

(his best movie is Barry Lyndon BTW, its one of the greatest pieces of cinema ever created).

True!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

billymumphrey posted:

Didn't they at least try to explain that in-movie though?

Where Zendaya, referring to Stilgar, says "He's from the south, couldn't you pick his accent?"

But like even her friend Shishakli she's with all of the time doesn't sound like her, I just found it funny more than anything its just a bit noticeable when you have Stilgar and Jamis and other characters hamming it up and Zendaya is doing Zendaya.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

casablanca kicks rear end. great movie, no asterisk

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I watched that jon belushi doc that jay mentioned on hitb a few years back, and I came to the conclusion that none of the belushis have ever been funny

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
M with peter lorre rules

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Raskolnikov38 posted:

M with peter lorre rules

especially impressive in that it was only three years after they started making talkies

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I watched DUNC 2 last night and thought it was a bunch of incomprehensible hooey. Stuff just happens with barely any through line narrative or connective tissue.

Loved the first one.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Well yeah, it is a faithful adaptation of the back half of the novel

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why don't they just rerelease citizen cane with some cg coloring and modernized sfx for the stunts and action scenes.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Why don't they just rerelease citizen cane with some cg coloring and modernized sfx for the stunts and action scenes.

Ted Turner was trying it before you were even born, buddy.

https://youtu.be/JI5qy9Zoh_0?si=EpOwBmNl9SnOcgT3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
He said he doesn't want Ted's crayons on his film, but colorization is a no-go flat out. Fair enough.

But he said nothing about 3D CGI in black and white or deep faking the old lead actor with Timothy Chalamet. Really anything goes so long as it's not in colour.