Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

indigi posted:

I just finished The Shadow of the Torturer (part 1 of Book of the New Sun) and my main question is: does the narrator ever explain why they spell it "Urth"

it's language drift!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i do solemnly swear that if elected thread ik I will goof off and eat candy instead of using the buttons

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

i do solemnly swear that if elected thread ik I will goof off and eat candy instead of using the buttons

make some guy tt ik

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

This is what I did and people still got mad at me

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xwV1nU74Tc

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

i say swears online posted:

lol look who's still putting out music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB_d27VQ6yg

edit drat this is pop trash

there are WORDS.. On the wing of the plane!!!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Fuligin posted:

it's language drift!!!

there's only like two words in the entire language that happened to. there's got to be a reason besides a silly stylistic choice. why is Urth different and not, like, Sunne or Mun

I really wish I could get some fuligin clothes for work

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Malleum posted:

i refuse to listen to a dub unless you can hear the original voices under it because the dubbing company didnt know how to separate audio tracks and didnt have the budget to hire someone who did

Ah, a big fan of Russian dubs I see

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Ah, a big fan of Russian dubs I see

its not a *chef kiss motion* real dub unless all the voices are being done by the same disinterested man who always speaks a half second after the characters

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

i say swears online posted:

lol look who's still putting out music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB_d27VQ6yg

edit drat this is pop trash

I went thrifting today and bought a bunch of CD's for under a dollar including two Uncle Kracker albums. I didn't know anything about him other than the name being vaguely familiar. I got two songs into the first CD before realizing I'd made a horrible mistake.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
need an ik to change thread title to [Poop Culture]

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Cuttlefush posted:

need an ik to change thread title to [Poop Culture]

:hmmyes:

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
https://twitter.com/JamesHibberd/status/1768702192985247772

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

quote:

Garland was also asked about the vagueness of the war’s politics in his film. Civil War imagines a near-future dystopia where the United States has been torn apart under the authoritarian rule of a three-term president (Nick Offerman). The story follows a journalist (Kirsten Dunst) and her colleagues as they make their way across a hostile and divided states of America. Yet the film avoids typical red state/blue state divisions (Texas and California are allies). The conflict’s politics are left almost entirely unexplained leaving the viewer with no more clues about what led up to the battle beyond what’s already been revealed in the trailers (though one of the president’s first actions was to disband the FBI, which seems like a nod to Trump, who has called to “defund” the Bureau).

“I personally think questions are answered,” Garland said. “There is a fascist president who smashed the Constitution and attacked [American] citizens. And that is a very clear, answered statement. If you want to think about why Texas and California might be allied, and put aside their political differences, the answer would be implicit in that. So I think answers are there but you have to step to it and not expect to be spoon fed these things. It makes assumptions about the audience.

“The warnings [about the country falling apart] all out there, but for some reason they don’t get any traction,” he added. “[I wondered,] ‘Is it the polarization? Is it just that we are not able to absorb any information because of the position we’ve already taken?’ Hence, making a movie that pulls the polarization out of it.”

“Politics is not about right vs wrong or good vs bad. That’s idiotic. Anyway, the story here is there’s this one guy who’s like really really evil and he needs to be stopped”

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's really sad to see a favorite artist subsumed by Hollywood liberalism

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I saw two different reviews that praised it for totally skipping the whole civil war part of the civil war and instead focusing on the brave journalists who have to go talk to president nick offerman and save the day

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Wonder what country the director is from... Hmmmmm

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's really funny to make a post politics movie about an american civil war.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Guy who wrote Dredd actually saying "fascism is just an opinion"

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Like what the gently caress dude just make a movie about something else, it doesn't have to be about something you don't want to make a movie about

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If he'd said "the left and the right are both enforcement agents of the same class war" then yeah, you got me there

Nethalin
Mar 16, 2024

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Guy who wrote Dredd actually saying "fascism is just an opinion"

Hollywood makes sickos out of everyone.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

We must punish English filmmaking by having an American director make a UK civil war movie where some guy has to personally appeal to the king or some dumb poo poo

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Justin Tyme posted:

We must punish English filmmaking by having an American director make a UK civil war movie where some guy has to personally appeal to the king or some dumb poo poo

wasnt this just minions

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
In fairness any movie that hollywood guys made about an american civil war that did have politics in it would probably be incredibly cringe at this point.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

He wrote 28 weeks later

A movie where the government immediately starts murdering its own citizens in response to a pandemic outbreak

But both sides

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

“Hello, I am president fascist, I am here to divide you. my only belief is that I just really love division. brother killing brother, can’t get enough of that poo poo. don’t have any ideological reason for it either and I CERTAINLY am not benefitting from it financially in any way shape or form.”

“But Mr president, don’t you realize that division is bad?”

“Oh gently caress, I never realized that, I guess I’ll stop then. Thank you brave journalist, you are the real hero”

British dude: this work is gonna change the world

Nethalin
Mar 16, 2024

mcmagic posted:

In fairness any movie that hollywood guys made about an american civil war that did have politics in it would probably be incredibly cringe at this point.

Now I'm imagining the Aaron Sorkin version of the film.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Augus posted:

“Hello, I am president fascist, I am here to divide you. my only belief is that I just really love division. brother killing brother, can’t get enough of that poo poo. don’t have any ideological reason for it either and I CERTAINLY am not benefitting from it financially in any way shape or form.”

“But Mr president, don’t you realize that division is bad?”

“Oh gently caress, I never realized that, I guess I’ll stop then. Thank you brave journalist, you are the real hero”

this is basically what journalists think happened during watergate lol

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

He wrote 28 weeks later

A movie where the government immediately starts murdering its own citizens in response to a pandemic outbreak

But both sides

what kind of pandemic was it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Buck Wildman posted:

I lol'd at the random circus clown in the audience

that clown is the destroyer god of the superhero universe

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Ghost Leviathan posted:

that clown is the destroyer god of the superhero universe

good for him, sounds like he's living his best life

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

aw frig aw dang it posted:

make Prof. Beetus ik bc I like their av

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Augus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yI1shA7NVs

*straining to smile* yep this sounds perfectly fine, not at all like they recorded the song on a cellphone in a public restroom *coughing up blood* what do you mean the Japanese version didn’t sound like that, I’d never have guessed in a million years

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H1QKyB_0P0E&pp=ygUhZHJhZ29uIGJhbGwgdGhhdCBtYW4gaXNuJ3QgYmxhY2sg

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

KirbyKhan posted:

I love Yu Yu Hakusho and long rear end video essays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEFiYJMCxyo

this guy complains about video editing for just as much time as he talks about yu yu hakusho. it's got to be the worst series recap vid i've ever seen lol

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
50% of anime dubbing problems could be solved by allowing them to edit the lip flaps so they don’t have to force out tortured unnatural sentences and cadences to fit the Japanese mouth movements. The other 50% would be having more than the same dozen people voicing every single character in every single anime and video game.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Augus posted:

“Politics is not about right vs wrong or good vs bad. That’s idiotic. Anyway, the story here is there’s this one guy who’s like really really evil and he needs to be stopped”

wtf do liberals think politics is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Justin Tyme posted:

they would absolutely not see this is punishment, but evidence that the UK was still extremely important and in fact the colonials long for the stability of living under the divinely appointed british monarchs