Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Shoehead posted:

I finally had some time and was near enough to an Imax screen to see this and when I got there the whole building was shut over a water leak :ironicat:

Someone's loving a fishman overhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

Yeah, I’m a Dunie. So what? 👍

Duniez nuts. got em

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
wot is that critcher wot lives in the wasteland?

the gallah, ya daft wanker

bloody oath, can i be called paul gallah?

naur, you'll be called paul dickhead

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
https://i.imgur.com/MzFHSzd.mp4

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 16, 2024

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
What do you call the creature that jumps on couches?

We call that one Tom Cruise.

May I be called Paul Tom Cruise?

You are Paul Tom Cruise.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Bubblyblubber posted:

wot is that critcher wot lives in the wasteland?

the gallah, ya daft wanker

bloody oath, can i be called paul gallah?

naur, you'll be called paul dickhead

I met an ecologist once who described galahs as being just intelligent enough to outwit grain.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
If I were in charge of Dune, I'd simply put some water there.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

khwarezm posted:

If I were in charge of Dune, I'd simply put some water there.

water-sellers hate this man

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tree Bucket posted:

I met an ecologist once who described galahs as being just intelligent enough to outwit grain.

Very exciteable though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSfM4ZHjbl0

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What are you dune to that popcorn bucket

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

The previews at the showing I saw were for Planet of the Apes, Godzilla+Kong, and Furiosa -- all retreads from the 70s.

Dunc2 was great, but the volume was TOO LOUD. probably should see it again not in IMAX.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

raspurtin posted:

Dunc2 was great, but the volume was TOO LOUD. probably should see it again not in IMAX.

Just saw it in a normal theater and I legit think the movie has given me tinnitus.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

concerning

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

galagazombie posted:

Just saw it in a normal theater and I legit think the movie has given me tinnitus.

Yeah even in a normal theater I felt some sound effects vibrating in my sternum. Some of it was "holy poo poo turn the volume down" and some of it was a deep and abiding love for powerful, powerful bass in that movie.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

e wrong thread

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Dunc SFX are up there with the sounds of Star Wars, IMO.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

galagazombie posted:

Just get tinnitus before watching, problem solved!

that's how i did it anyway

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

The IMAX sound was insane. The scary Bene Gesserit command voice felt like it was piercing my soul. My ears were definitely ringing for a day afterwards.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I still haven’t seen d2 yet but I made some friends watch Dune one yesterday and they are very excited but my real point is they laughed out loud at some things that they thought were awesome and I didn’t expect it. Like the bull head being hung in the room where the baron has Leto naked on the chair. I never noticed before but that’s great little nugget

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I call him Pesky Paul
https://x.com/lord_anarchy/status/1766510527969177675?s=20

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

prescient vision of leto ii

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I bet there's rooms full of vestigial movie executive types talking over the success of Dune right now and reaching all the wrong conclusions. I bet there's a whiteboard with MORE QUIPS circled several times or something

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

I bet there's rooms full of vestigial movie executive types talking over the success of Dune right now and reaching all the wrong conclusions. I bet there's a whiteboard with MORE QUIPS circled several times or something
Maybe someone can trick some execs into making a Stranger in a Strange Land adaptation

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Have Space Suit Will Travel YA Expanded Universe Prestige Series Streaming Only on Paramount Plus

Although I'm surprised Spielberg hasn't done that one yet

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Martman posted:

Maybe someone can trick some execs into making a Stranger in a Strange Land adaptation

Paul Verhoeven's Starship Troopers is very literally the only Heinlein movie that should ever exist

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Vampire Panties posted:

Paul Verhoeven's Starship Troopers is very literally the only Heinlein movie that should ever exist

Qft

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Tree Bucket posted:

Paul Madi dune surfing?!
Knife fighting (CGI)
Weird helicopters (that transform? Call Bay)
Louder women
SAND???

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Vampire Panties posted:

make verhoeven do it again and get him to do the lampoon thing again, simple enough

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Shageletic posted:

Paul Madi dune surfing?!
Knife fighting (CGI)
Weird helicopters (that transform? Call Bay)
Louder women
SAND???

Mostly no Zendaya in the first one.
Yodeling women on soundtrack.
Black and white sequences (?, like Oppenheimer)
White saviour.
Drugs are the best thing in the universe.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Monica Bellucci posted:

Mostly no Zendaya in the first one.
Yodeling women on soundtrack.
Black and white sequences (?, like Oppenheimer)
White saviour.
Drugs are the best thing in the universe.
I think Loire deserves a lot more credit than "yodeling woman" considering she demonstrates konnakol, overtone singing, and even gets to show off the vocal fold thing she can do that makes an otherwise clean tone vibrate (I forget what it's called, but I think it's thematically appropriate because of the movies depictions of sandworms vibrating the sand to move) - which I believe comes from Taksim (which also informs the track Paul's Dream).

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
I don't think a coked up executive is capable of understanding any of that except in terms of how it enhances a blowjob.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
As much I love Dune, its overall box office will probably be around $600 million if it goes well, which is reasonable but probably not enough to have every studio tripping over themselves to adapt 60s sci-fi novels to ineptly chase a gold mine.

Oppenheimer though probably does have some suit trying to make the next big movie about a real life morally ambiguous genius unleashing horrors upon the earth.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I think Loire deserves a lot more credit than "yodeling woman" considering she demonstrates konnakol, overtone singing, and even gets to show off the vocal fold thing she can do that makes an otherwise clean tone vibrate (I forget what it's called, but I think it's thematically appropriate because of the movies depictions of sandworms vibrating the sand to move) - which I believe comes from Taksim (which also informs the track Paul's Dream).

Thanks for making this reply, I didn't know what those terms for her haunting vocal style were and it's all very fascinating stuff.

Just thinking about the sandworm sequence in the new movie and how awesome it was. It's definitely one of the more difficult parts of the book to film and not look cornball, but the way they pulled it off was clever. Crashing through the sand dunes was something you could really feel in the theatre.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
would chani still love paul if he turned into a worm?

really makes u think

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
I’m rereading Dune right now. I always forget there’s one Fremen named Geoff.

Geoff the Fremen.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
“average fremen stabbed by my friend jamis 3 times a year" factoid actualy just statistical error. average fremen gets stabbed by my friend jamis 0 times per year. stabbed geoff, who lives in our cave & got stabbed by my friend jamis 10,000 times each day, is an outlier adn should not have been counted

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
His name is a humdrum word

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Lobster Henry posted:

I’m rereading Dune right now. I always forget there’s one Fremen named Geoff.

Geoff the Fremen.

I always hope he has a mate called Nigel. Nigel the Fremen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Here’s my unifying theory of all the Dune books (by Frank and his son alike):

Once you read Dune, you read Dune Messiah if you want to know what happened next to Paul.

Children of Dune and God Emperor, if you want to know what happened next to Dune.

Heretics and Chapterhouse, if you want to know what happened next to Frank Herbert.