Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dabir posted:

The Quantum Moon exists in a superposition of all six of its locations at once except when observed. In five of those positions, Solanum died when the Interloper ruptured, in the sixth she didn't, but she can't leave. Being sometimes alive, but more likely to be dead, has left her permanently quantum entangled with the moon, so she's no longer a conscious observer.

Quantum zombie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

MikeJF posted:

Quantum zombie.

P-value zombie

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Kazzah posted:

I assumed the Nomai and Hearthians had different names for all the planets, too, and the unified names are a translation convention. Maybe Riebeck, that old Nomaiboo, insists on calling it Glorpo-Mop instead of the regular Hearthian “Brittle Hollow”, but for player convenience there’s one set of names.

The only piece of evidence either way is The Interloper. Nomai only ever refer to it as a comet. The translator doesn't update the text to read Interloper.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i just assumed that was because they didn't have time to give it a name :(

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
you can buy a Riebeck plush now, if that's something you want in your life

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Ooh, I'm not gonna get the plush, but I think I will nab those pins...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

plush, desk mat, poster, t-shirt, pins: $146

:shepspends:

(worth every dollar, damnit)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 28, 2024

doublehawk
Nov 12, 2005

surprise dinosaur could be your friend

BUT ONLY IF YOU LIKE BIG SURPRISES

exiting lurk mode to say: new vinyl for Echoes of the Eye is up for pre-order at iam8bit (plus a collector's edition of the game, an artbook...) https://www.iam8bit.com/collections/outer-wilds

*and* black screen records is taking pre-orders for another pressing of the base game 2x LP soundtrack even though it's still listed as sold out on iam8bit https://blackscreenrecords.com/products/outer-wilds?variant=45223519715594

estimated shipping date on the latter is september 2024. maybe I just wasted too much $$$ on the euro shipping but I didn't want to risk not getting it again

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

And I was just looking for something nice for myself after my taxes... Love that star chart desk mat and I can't say no to that plush, plus a pin for my wife, all looks great!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So if you're trying to find roughly 35-40 degrees on a 360 degree flight path do you count forward from 0 at the top or go counter-clockwise from the top assuming the direction of the object on the path is counting upwards from 0 to 360?

Asking for a "friend" :shepface:

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

You use your map to lock onto the thing on said path and fly to it, then use the handy info panel on the side to see what angle it is at. If said panel is not working because of accidental collision you accept glorious incandescence and try again in another life.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Jerusalem posted:

So if you're trying to find roughly 35-40 degrees on a 360 degree flight path do you count forward from 0 at the top or go counter-clockwise from the top assuming the direction of the object on the path is counting upwards from 0 to 360?

Asking for a "friend" :shepface:

Answering the question, sort of: Just go straight for the probe at the start of a loop and wait, it'll only be a few minutes. You do know it shows the angle on the probe's screen?

Quality of life spoiler after figuring it out: And once you figure all that out and do the thing, don't do the probe travel more than once, the game straight up tells you next loop the way you don't have to do that every time, pay attention to it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GuavaMoment posted:

Answering the question, sort of: Just go straight for the probe at the start of a loop and wait, it'll only be a few minutes. You do know it shows the angle on the probe's screen?

I did not notice that, no! :doh:

I stupidly tried to be in place at the right anticipated angle until I eventually just went and caught up to the probe to follow it along, but I'd left it too late and went supernova, and then had to recharge my headset. Will just do that next time.

I mean... uhh... my friend will uhh... um. poo poo. gently caress.

Darox posted:

You use your map to lock onto the thing on said path and fly to it, then use the handy info panel on the side to see what angle it is at. If said panel is not working because of accidental collision you accept glorious incandescence and try again in another life.

Wait you can lock onto it from the map? Every time I look, though it is visible, it's not selectable/listed as anything? I had to get close enough to it to be able to select it and then match velocity to get to it.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 17, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You can go to locations you've visited in the past via your computer and lock onto them to guide you to them. It's one of those things the game doesn't initially communicate to you very well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MikeJF posted:

You can go to locations you've visited in the past via your computer and lock onto them to guide you to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTLmD2kFDm0

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

just had my funniest death yet while exploring the twins. decided it was a good idea to land my ship in the gravity cannon despite knowing its called that. then i summoned the nomai shuttle which exploded my ship. then i got in the nomai shuttle, tried to fly it, crashed, and died

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

cuntman.net posted:

just had my funniest death yet while exploring the twins. decided it was a good idea to land my ship in the gravity cannon despite knowing its called that. then i summoned the nomai shuttle which exploded my ship. then i got in the nomai shuttle, tried to fly it, crashed, and died

outerwilds.txt

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

MikeJF posted:

You can go to locations you've visited in the past via your computer and lock onto them to guide you to them. It's one of those things the game doesn't initially communicate to you very well.

I recall that when I was a few loops in to the expansion content, Slate flat-out told me about this when I woke up. I don’t know if this was triggered specifically by doing EotE things, though, or if it’s a general thing that gets triggered; the feature was added before the expansion was released but after my initial playthrough, so it could have just been me tripping a wire that other people would have tripped if they’d played a vanilla run more recently than I had.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

blastron posted:

Slate flat-out told me about this when I woke up.

I don’t know if this was triggered specifically by doing EotE things, though,

Ah, but you do know. See?

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

blastron posted:

I recall that when I was a few loops in to the expansion content, Slate flat-out told me about this when I woke up. I don’t know if this was triggered specifically by doing EotE things, though, or if it’s a general thing that gets triggered; the feature was added before the expansion was released but after my initial playthrough, so it could have just been me tripping a wire that other people would have tripped if they’d played a vanilla run more recently than I had.
Slate tells you about it the first loop after you first enter the Stranger. Probably to let players know that they can go straight there from now on, without having to visit the satellite every time. I did have a bug for a while where they'd stop me to mention it in every single loop afterwards, but I think that's been fixed now.

Gabbro also tells you about the map if you talk to them about the radio tower after going inside.

Gabbro posted:

Yeah, um, the one that’s standard with all our spacesuits? The one you have with you at all times that opens with the press of a button? …That map? You didn’t get conked on the head by a rock or a meteorite or something on your way here, did you? No shame in that. Happens to me all the time! In case you were hit especially hard, don’t forget that you can jump into your ship and use your solar system map to lock on to any astral body. It’s the easiest way to visit Ol’ Spacey, too.
Gabbro... :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I uhhh.... I was not expecting a giant-rear end log-flume ride. This place is loving MASSIVE :stare:

This DLC might take awhile!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Jerusalem posted:

I uhhh.... I was not expecting a giant-rear end log-flume ride. This place is loving MASSIVE :stare:

This DLC might take awhile!

This might be one of my favorite moments in all of Outer Wilds. The tension of carefully making your way through the pitch-black outside of the Stranger while a throbbing bass plays in the background, suddenly and entirely unexpectedly being replaced by a chaotic log flume ride, set to a cheerful banjo tune, through a brightly-lit river forest unlike anything else in the game, actually took my breath away. It’s so carefully timed, too, dropping you into the world when the rafting is at its best and its environment is in just the right state to let you hit all of the important introductory beats without the loop and its events from getting in the way.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Although if Jerusalem didn't enter first time after going out to the satellite but rather used the lock-on he might not have gotten that moment. It's designed so that if you enter from the airlock facing the satellite you get the big dramatic moment where you get dropped in and the music triggers perfectly, while if you enter the side facing Timber Heath you get the quick no-fuss entrance because you'll be using it a lot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think you can get the lock on until you go there first.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I flew in from the satellite, entering the hangar and rotating the pillar to open the big mysterious door to find myself in that beautiful environment was an amazing experience, it went from ominous to oddly upbeat despite how rundown you quickly realize the place is.

Wild speculation time!

Some of the imagery I have seen have lead me to think the planet the horned dude in the paintings comes from was the one torn apart by the Dark Bramble, which I still think is an extra solar visitor akin to the comet.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

blastron posted:

This might be one of my favorite moments in all of Outer Wilds. The tension of carefully making your way through the pitch-black outside of the Stranger while a throbbing bass plays in the background, suddenly and entirely unexpectedly being replaced by a chaotic log flume ride, set to a cheerful banjo tune, through a brightly-lit river forest unlike anything else in the game, actually took my breath away. It’s so carefully timed, too, dropping you into the world when the rafting is at its best and its environment is in just the right state to let you hit all of the important introductory beats without the loop and its events from getting in the way.

Another aspect of these early moments:
It took me a while to figure out why myself and every streamer I watched play EotE had the dam break just a couple of minutes after beginning to explore The River Lowlands. It's because pretty much everyone finds the stranger at the same time in the loop thanks to needing to wait at the satellite until the Stranger blocks the sun! That was an incredible bit of designed pacing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think that first run through that might be one of my favorite moments of gaming. It's just totally unexpected compared to what you've seen in Outer Wilds so far. I'd put it up there with some of the greatest gaming moments because of what they did to get you there. It feels scripted, like the first time you go in there, of course this thing happens, but it's not, it's all working within their clockwork world. They just set it up so that you have to wait until you can get that moment.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think you can get the lock on until you go there first.

You can reach it then die before fully getting in though, I think that gives you the lock.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I flew in from the satellite, entering the hangar and rotating the pillar to open the big mysterious door to find myself in that beautiful environment was an amazing experience, it went from ominous to oddly upbeat despite how rundown you quickly realize the place is.

Did you get dropped dramatically down onto the river from a dark room?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

ember twin: the glowing pipe on the path to the high energy lab is some mean spirited stuff :arghfist::saddowns:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

MikeJF posted:

Did you get dropped dramatically down onto the river from a dark room?

I love how the game sets that up to generally happen once and once only, as after the first time you always approach the stranger from the other side.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Splendid posted:

I love how the game sets that up to generally happen once and once only, as after the first time you always approach the stranger from the other side.

It's funny how long it can take people to notice this sometimes. I've seen LPs where they only realize after like 5 cycles that they aren't coming in the same way

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's funny how long it can take people to notice this sometimes. I've seen LPs where they only realize after like 5 cycles that they aren't coming in the same way

(Early EotE) They’ve put a significant amount of detail into subtly differentiating the two sides of the Stranger, and I love it. The spooky side that blocks out the sun while harsh synths rumble is lit up in harsh blacks and whites, while the sun-facing side you see in your second loop is lit much more warmly. (Mid-late EotE) It’s barely even noticeable until you’re flying around the rim of the thing looking for the blown-out airlock, and even then it’s almost subliminal. Who even thinks about the temperature of white light?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's a lot of places in Outer Wilds where they've very carefully set up the experience that about 80% of players will have but accepted that sometimes it's not gonna happen that way.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

One of the good ones is opening the door on the sun station

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
In Angory Tom's last video, he made it to the Sixth Location, met Solanum - and then refused to put the tiles on the pillars. He was just reorganising them, putting them on the floor, looking at the pillars empty-handed. It was unbelievable.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Kazzah posted:

In Angory Tom's last video, he made it to the Sixth Location, met Solanum - and then refused to put the tiles on the pillars. He was just reorganising them, putting them on the floor, looking at the pillars empty-handed. It was unbelievable.

Ahhhh it was almost torture to watch! He did so well figuring out the Quantum rules, then just wouldn't stop throwing stones on the ground over and over!!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Even the very beginning of Outer Wilds has a little switcheroo people don't notice- the very first time you awake on a fresh file, you are facing towards the campfire and Slate, and then to the path that loops through the village to the observatory the long way, thus putting you into proximity with all the tutorials.

But on subsequent loops, you face the opposite direction, towards the elevator so you can easily get going.

Just a smooth bit of directions- first time players will probably just investigate what's directly ahead of them, while on later playthroughs you have the knowledge that you can just... turn a little, and the path directly to the observatory is right there, if you want.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

MikeJF posted:

There's a lot of places in Outer Wilds where they've very carefully set up the experience that about 80% of players will have but accepted that sometimes it's not gonna happen that way.

I was watching a friend play it and they managed to get to the Stranger on their last loop of a long play session- “I’ll just see what this is and then pick it up next time”- and then they got crushed by the moving circle parts of the airlock.

The next time they played, they got into the Stranger, instantly panicked upon being dropped into the water, fell off the raft, and missed the cool boat ride intro.

This game rules, even when not getting the “intended” experience. :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Godspeed You! Blue Hearthian