Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Professor Funk posted:

It remains batshit crazy that the Jets got a 2nd and a 4th for Darnold a few years ago.

Every team is allowed to fleece the Panthers once a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I said fields will be better than russ this year and now we get to a/b test it.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
So the Steelers have a month to decide on Fields 5th year option?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

So are the Steelers just accumulating as many cheap QBs as possible and hoping one sticks? I assume they are going to draft a developmental guy in the middle rounds too. The all scratch ticket QB room will be interesting at least

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Calidus posted:

2 weeks

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Calidus posted:

They should definitely not commit to $25 million fully guaranteed for what might be their back-up QB or vet presence for a new draft guy. They could do what Green Bay did with Love and offer a cheaper extension, make it a prove it year or whatever.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 17, 2024

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
I don't know how much of Russ's 2025 salary is owed from Denver, so I assume he's a 1 year rental unless he captures lightning in a bottle, that still makes a 5th year option cheaper than a full-priced Wilson. If they both suck, it should hasten drafting high enough to take another swing at the draft

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Give fields the option then trade him back to the bears for a first when Caleb busts.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Uhhh no. It was dumb when the Panthers picked up Darnolds option and it would be dumber to pick up Fields. You let him play it out and if by chance he leaves for more than market backup dollars, you net a profit.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, Fields somehow being so good you have to franchise him is one of those good problems to have.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Kawalimus posted:

gently caress me I KNEW THAT WAS GONNA HAPPEN. God drat it. Steelers have the division locked up already

Tell me you didn’t watch any Bears games without telling me you didn’t watch any Bears games

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

a loving 6th lmao

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

AndrewP posted:

a loving 6th lmao

A 2025 6th, Mac Jones at least got the Pats a 2024 6th round pick.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Bellmaker posted:

A 2025 6th, Mac Jones at least got the Pats a 2024 6th round pick.

But it can be a 4th in 2025.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Gonna love it if the Steelers swap out Fields last series of the year to ensure he doesn't get 51% of the snaps lol

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Kalli posted:

Yeah, Fields somehow being so good you have to franchise him is one of those good problems to have.

It's specifically what the franchise is there for.

And why the Giants were dumb as poo poo to use it on Saquon instead of Jones.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Fields getting turned into Hines Ward 2.0 would be the most hilarious outcome.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Papercut posted:

The Niners got a 3rd for Trey Lance less than a year ago

Lance has more of his rookie contract left. Steelers are gonna have to pony up after this season.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Gonna love it if the Steelers swap out Fields last series of the year to ensure he doesn't get 51% of the snaps lol

I mean if you think he's the guy you'll happily take passing a loving 4th for him. Gonna likely take a Wilson injury for him to get those snaps however.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

they have the same amount of their rookie contract.

The difference was the cowboys did it in august.

The Bears did it at the end of the season when pro-scouts were hardcore looking at free agency.

And Man if you look at Darnell Mooney's tape for example. You will be very very very down on Fields.

that close you are probably way less likely to do turbo deep dives. And less of your people had time to do so.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Turns out that Trey Lance was the 2nd best QB in the 2021 draft.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

My bad, thought Lance was drafted more recently.

Cowboys got basically a season to see if he's worth anything. They overpaid for a mystery box.

If you can build a very specific kind of offense around Fields maybe he's the guy but like I don't know how anyone can look at his three years of tape and think he's anything more than a low level starter.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I am...legitimately shocked Justin Fields was worth so little.

I think we were all significantly overvaluing him. Clearly NFL teams are seeing something (Or, rather, not seeing something in him) that we're missing.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Hot Diggity! posted:

My bad, thought Lance was drafted more recently.

Cowboys got basically a season to see if he's worth anything. They overpaid for a mystery box.

If you can build a very specific kind of offense around Fields maybe he's the guy but like I don't know how anyone can look at his three years of tape and think he's anything more than a low level starter.

There were rumours that Minnesota was enquiring about Lance during the combine / senior bowl ball fondlingery.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Kirios posted:

I am...legitimately shocked Justin Fields was worth so little.

I think we were all significantly overvaluing him. Clearly NFL teams are seeing something (Or, rather, not seeing something in him) that we're missing.

I think the Bears never being fully behind him (remember the talk around Tyson Bagent last season?) combined with his poor performance over the years didn't help things at all. So if you combine that with the Bears keeping the #1 pick, I just think teams saw that there was no need to give up anything of value for Fields even if they were interested

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

fields also kinda loving sucked. does no one else remember that?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Freaquency posted:

Tell me you didn’t watch any Bears games without telling me you didn’t watch any Bears games

Yeah but that's an organization that seems to be one of the overall worst for offensive talent to go to especially QB. Steelers are a much better environment. I mean it's not 100% success like look at Pickett. But Fields is a talented guy nobody can deny that. Get him a solid supporting cast and there's a strong chance he can become a good or even better player. And he's just as good of a runner as Lamar Jackson is.

It's a very low-risk-high-reward move for them.

QBs can come into their own late or on other teams probably more than most positions. Look at guys like Steve Young ,Geno Smith, and Rich Gannon among others.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 17, 2024

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Borsche69 posted:

Da Bears is strong with this one

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Kawalimus posted:

QBs can come into their own late or on other teams probably more than most positions. Look at guys like Steve Young ,Geno Smith, and Rich Gannon among others.

Kurt Warner stocking shelves at the Hy-Vee is only a slightly worse situation than what Fields came from.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

Oh no I remember that very clearly. Sure he had some moments, but take enough snaps and eventually you'll do something of note (usually).

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

take enough snaps and eventually you'll do something of note (usually).

Ask people who watched Mac Jones or Zach Wilson either of the last two years if this happened

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Chris James 2 posted:

Ask people who watched Mac Jones or Zach Wilson either of the last two years if this happened

Mac Jones’ rookie season would be the 2nd best season ever by a Bears QB.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Kawalimus posted:

No really keep doing the among others. Because add Alex Smith and that's where the list stops.

In the long history of the NFL.

Generally after your third year of starts you are what you are in the NFL as a QB.

The list of QBs with as many starts, and as little production as Fields who turned it around and became franchise level QBs is like 3-5 QBs long

Alex Smith
Rich Gannon
Drew Brees.
Steve Young

Are the only ones I can think of off hand.

Geno Smith had 2 years and then sat on benches for like 7 years.

I hope Fields proves me wrong and balls out, still rooting for him, but uh it feels very unlikely.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

aside from breaking big runs now and then, he did indeed suck

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair he sucked on the bears. Put him on a real team and see where it goes

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair he sucked on the bears. Put him on a real team and see where it goes

I come with an image from the fuuuuuuture

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Dexo posted:

I can think of another player on that depth chart who might have more issues with future

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

D-LINK posted:

I don't know how much of Russ's 2025 salary is owed from Denver, so I assume he's a 1 year rental unless he captures lightning in a bottle, that still makes a 5th year option cheaper than a full-priced Wilson. If they both suck, it should hasten drafting high enough to take another swing at the draft

2025? None. This year, they're paying 97.5% of the $40 million going to another team's QB.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dexo posted:

Hey I didn’t say it was a guarantee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Dexo posted:

Speaking of which, Justin Fields has now replaced Mitch Trubisky twice.