Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Dabir posted:

I need something to present that has all of it written down in one place. I've been talking to someone who's too young to really remember it, trying to impress upon them just how insane that period was and how completely the British establishment turned to crush him, and my own memory isn't good enough to properly describe it without just sounding hyperbolic.

Try this as a starting point: https://monthlyreview.org/2022/02/01/anatomy-of-a-propaganda-campaign-jeremy-corbyns-political-assassination/
It's not exactly what you're looking for though.

Don't know whether the Al Jaz documentaries might also be of interest:

https://www.ajiunit.com/investigation/the-labour-files/
+ this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db-Gpmfajp8 which didn't get on the aljaz link above.

Just trying to find a copy of the leaked report for you.

https://archive.org/details/200329-labour-report-final.pdf

(this is the one with the leaked emails including the slagging off of Diane Abbott)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Dabir posted:

I need something to present that has all of it written down in one place. I've been talking to someone who's too young to really remember it, trying to impress upon them just how insane that period was and how completely the British establishment turned to crush him, and my own memory isn't good enough to properly describe it without just sounding hyperbolic.

lot to ask of me this time of a saturday night mate :/

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Try this as a starting point: https://monthlyreview.org/2022/02/01/anatomy-of-a-propaganda-campaign-jeremy-corbyns-political-assassination/
It's not exactly what you're looking for though.

Don't know whether the Al Jaz documentaries might also be of interest:

https://www.ajiunit.com/investigation/the-labour-files/
+ this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db-Gpmfajp8 which didn't get on the aljaz link above.

Just trying to find a copy of the leaked report for you.

I've seen both of those and the leaked report. The problem is that those are all very good deep dives into just one aspect of the thing and I'm trying to get across just how total a campaign it was.

crispix posted:

lot to ask of me this time of a saturday night mate :/

I thought I remembered there being some google doc that had it all written down, if you don't have one handy there's no need to act put upon

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Dabir posted:

I've seen both of those and the leaked report. The problem is that those are all very good deep dives into just one aspect of the thing and I'm trying to get across just how total a campaign it was.

I thought I remembered there being some google doc that had it all written down, if you don't have one handy there's no need to act put upon

I don't know of any google doc and if there was one it might have been taken down long since.
Have you seen this overview?
https://jacobin.com/2016/07/jeremy-corbyn-media-coup-bbc-labour/

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's a good source which covers a lot, even if it only goes as far as 2016, and I'll send it on to the person I'm talking to. But I feel like the author is missing a trick by choosing to step away from the ridiculous stories - the ridiculousness of so many of those stories is part of the point I'm trying to make. I need something that includes both serious stuff like the EHRC smear report, and unhinged bullshit like Rafael Behr blaming Corbyn for his heart attack. There's also a bit more editorialising than I'd like.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm gonna have to go through years worth of UKMTs writing down everything that happened, aren't I. Man I don't have time for that

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Dabir posted:

if you don't have one handy there's no need to act put upon

i was doing so for comedic effect :)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
but i do empathise with your desire to tell someone young that you told them so

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Dabir posted:

I'm gonna have to go through years worth of UKMTs writing down everything that happened, aren't I. Man I don't have time for that

Maybe someone will come on tomorrow who knows of a decent link?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Dabir posted:

Arguably, the biggest problem you face is the same problem UK voters faced in 2019:
The people who should have been documenting the catalogue of lies levelled at Corbyn were mostly the people levelling those lies at him.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

kingturnip posted:

Arguably, the biggest problem you face is the same problem UK voters faced in 2019:
The people who should have been documenting the catalogue of lies levelled at Corbyn were mostly the people levelling those lies at him.

It should be said that the lies were incredibly effective in demolishing his electoral support:

Note the jumps from May 2019 to ~May 2021.

(YouGov government approval polls)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Dabir posted:

I need something to present that has all of it written down in one place. I've been talking to someone who's too young to really remember it,

lol what are you on about the 2015 leadership election was only, uh- it was-

oh god

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm sorry. I'm diagnosed dyslexic so writing anything here takes a moment and I still make mistakes. I'll be more careful in the future with my a's and an's.

lol don’t mind me sorry I just wasn’t sure if I was wrong or if it was like a British thing and we needed to get ready for a war or something.

If it helps, I guess the "an" depends on whether you're going into an "I" sound. If you're pronouncing the "H", then it just gets the "a". Just go with what feels right and you should be sweet.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 17, 2024

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011
I'm reminded of a debate that consumed a lecture back when I was at uni on whether or not it was ok to write/say "an historic".

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Alex Nunns needs to hurry the gently caress up with his second book about Corbyn because it goes into the campaign to undermine him. His first book was excellent and his explanation of Corbyn's highly improbable rise is very well done.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Dabir posted:

Buy them a forums account and let them loose!

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

kingturnip posted:

It is getting hard to tell who in this thread is still engaging with the 'Kate is dead' conspiracy for the ironic lols and who's genuinely invested.

I’m here for the memes

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeP2joYh/

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Phrakusca posted:

I'm reminded of a debate that consumed a lecture back when I was at uni on whether or not it was ok to write/say "an historic".

If someone writes "an historic" I assume they're a Tory

If someone writes "an herb" I assume their brain is broken =American

E: I shouldn't be grumpy, I have a nice view from my hotel roo

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Mar 17, 2024

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bobstar posted:

If someone writes "an historic" I assume they're a Tory

If someone writes "an herb" I assume their brain is broken =American

E: I shouldn't be grumpy, I have a nice view from my hotel roo

A hotel roo is a comfort animal given to guests who need a fight before they can sleep in unfamiliar beds

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Dabir posted:

I need something that includes both serious stuff like the EHRC smear report, and unhinged bullshit like Rafael Behr blaming Corbyn for his heart attack. There's also a bit more editorialising than I'd like.

If you can remember individual things like that then just search for them, the Rafael Behr article should be pretty easy to find. And don't forget "wearing a tie shows that he craves power" and "let's analyse how deeply he bowed at the cenotaph".

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

To me, that madness of that whole era can be summed up in one photo:

Corbyn didn't stand a chance when the entire establishment media was conditioning the public to regard him as some kind of foreign terrorist asset

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
lol. And they defended that to the hilt too.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Phrakusca posted:

Another good debate is whether data is singular or plural... or do I mean, whether data are plural or singular...

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If you can remember individual things like that then just search for them, the Rafael Behr article should be pretty easy to find. And don't forget "wearing a tie shows that he craves power" and "let's analyse how deeply he bowed at the cenotaph".

Also how he "danced a jig up Whitehall" on Remembrance Day (actually walking with a 92-year old WW2 veteran).

He "snubbed the traditional statesmens' lunch after the Cenotaph ceremony (to be the only major politician present to meet with veterans).

He went near Trotsky's house while on a holiday to Mexico, which was apparently a derogation of his parliamentary duties (but parliament was in recess at the time.)

He disliked Viennese architecture because it was 'royal' and 'capitalist'...when visiting in 1976.

According to The Times (our national paper of record) he rode a Chairman Mao-style bicycle.

Someone at the Mail wrote a deranged fantasy about 1000 Days of Corbyn that Destroyed Britane

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Marmaduke! posted:

Another good debate is whether data is singular or plural... or do I mean, whether data are plural or singular...

Oh god don't. One of my PhD examiners had a real bee in his bonnet about that and I had never given it much thought before and one of the corrections I had to do was go through it finding every mention of data and change to datum if singular. Out of my two examiners, one gave me just a handful of 'corrections' and the other about 5 sheets of A4 and it was all punctuation and formatting apart from one small section where I had used bullet points and he told me to rewrite it as a proper paragraph because 'bullet points have no place in academic work'.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That's the thing, I can't remember them all

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

There was also at least one academic paper trying to quantitatively assess just how biased against him the media was

Journalistic transgressions in the representation of Jeremy Corbyn: From watchdog to attackdog comes to mind

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'd forgotten about Jerembly eating cold beans from the can on his honeymoon, genuinely one of the most relatable anecdotes imaginable for a goon audience

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

lol. And they defended that to the hilt too.

They did. They even denied photoshopping his hat to make him appear Russian. The Kremlin backdrop was 'just one of those things', and was originally used for a story about Gavin William's trip to Russia the week before. It was just convenient to use it again for Corbyn because <reasons>

The BBC was eventually cleared of any wrongdoing

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Oh god don't. One of my PhD examiners had a real bee in his bonnet about that and I had never given it much thought before and one of the corrections I had to do was go through it finding every mention of data and change to datum if singular. Out of my two examiners, one gave me just a handful of 'corrections' and the other about 5 sheets of A4 and it was all punctuation and formatting apart from one small section where I had used bullet points and he told me to rewrite it as a proper paragraph because 'bullet points have no place in academic work'.

Fortunately I think some journals are being less pissy about it these days. Thinking about corrections on a PhD thesis still gives me sweats, my examiner offered me the choice of submitting with minor corrections or go back to the lab to get a bit more data. I eagerly took the first option, I was so done with it by then.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

They did. They even denied photoshopping his hat to make him appear Russian. The Kremlin backdrop was 'just one of those things', and was originally used for a story about Gavin William's trip to Russia the week before. It was just convenient to use it again for Corbyn because <reasons>

In these cases I always wonder about the person actually sitting at a computer and doing this. Presumably some underpaid 20-something at the BBC, with a fresh media studies or journalism degree, gets all excited to work as a runner or researcher on Newsnight - the Corporation's flagship current affairs analysis programme! - and gets told "tonight we need you to take this file photo and edit it make Jeremy Corbyn's hat look more sinisterly Russian. We need it in 15 minutes..."

Or the staff writer at the Telegraph who gets handed Charles Moore's latest column and has to be the first human to type the sentence "A tie is a mark of ambition. Jeremy Corbyn alarmed me by wearing one as it showed he craved power" as you fill out the headline, while also dropping in the mugshot of Charles Moore wearing a tie.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Weren't there a couple of domestic terrorists who wanted to get him if they could, too?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Phrakusca posted:

H as a first letter is always silent in English. Even the letter itself is pronounced aitch. That's just ow grammar works.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Nenonen posted:

H as a first letter is always silent in English. Even the letter itself is pronounced aitch. That's just ow grammar works.

Its a Huh

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

While the media was painting Corbyn as a Russian asset, they ignored that Boris Johnson attended a party in Italy hosted by Evgeny Lebedev, the literal son of an ex KGB officer (who also attended his son's party). Boris was our literal loving Foreign Secretary at the time. He was photographed at the Italian airport the next day looking hungover and disheveled, and noticeably absent of any staff or minders.

He didn't declare the meeting with the government, and there's no official record of what was said or who he met. The party was under the close observation of the Italian intelligence services, so maybe they have transcripts? The UK media mostly ignored all of this.

Boris eventually made Evgeny Lebedev a member of the House of Lords, despite MI5 advising him not to. MI5 even went direct to the Queen to block the appointment, but she refused.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 17, 2024

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

fuctifino posted:

:ughh:

reminds me of

Mebh
May 10, 2010

House of lords? More like house of lols.

I think the thing that hosed my head the most was that the assassination of Corbyn was so obvious if you paid any attention at all. It showed that nobody at all paid any attention and nobody really gave a gently caress.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Corbyn chat:

Ok I've had a think and trying to avoid the antisemitism ones as you mentioned earlier I'm sure you have a ton of those & also things people already mentioned (though haven't done a refresh first!)

Wearing poppy at wrong angle

Poppy too small (it was a ceramic one that cost a bloody fortune).https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/11/jeremy-corbyn-criticised-for-small-poppy-pin-and-hoodie-at-armistice-day-service-8127321/

Not bowing at the correct angle https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/nov/08/jeremy-corbyn-cenotaph-bow-scrutinised-social-media-remembrance-sunday

Dancing a jig to the cenotaph (https://skwawkbox.org/2016/11/13/of-course-he-wasnt-dancing-this-is-corbyn-dancing/) - this has all the photos on one page you can google for other sources if you prefer.

Wearing a rain coat (an expensive M&S one - apparently £79 which is expensive to me - my rain mac cost £12) to the cenotaph (when he was either coming from or going on to an outdoor ceremony in Islington)

The wreath row https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-jeremy-corbyn-and-the-wreath-row

Saying "Epstine" instead of "Epsteen" caused all Jews to shudder according to Bad Eel. Never mind plenty of Jewish people with "stein" at the end of the name (Brian Epstein, Einstein, Eisenstein etc) pronounce it Stine. & never mind that the Epsteen version was a pedophile.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/comment/talking-politics/jeremy-corbyn-attacked-for-showing-too-much-125229961.html

Not singing the national anthem - why would he? I don't. Why should we pay obeisance to protect a single person? He's always been a republican (not the US variety).

Troops shooting at Corbyn poster: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/apr/03/video-british-troops-firing-jeremy-corbyn-poster

British Army general says they will stop Corbyn getting in to power: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/british-army-could-stage-mutiny-under-corbyn-says-senior-serving-general-10509742.html

US will stop Corbyn getting in to power (bringing 'mocracy at the point of a gun - but too bad all the North Sea oil has gone already). https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mike-pompeo-suggests-us-could-block-jeremy-corbyn-from-no-10-h5d3zzjb9

And let us not forget criticized for not going on a freebie to a rugby match of some sort because he had a pre-arranged meeting with a constituent. (ie criticized for NOT grifting & doing what the public pays him to do!) https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/the-real-reason-jeremy-corbyn-missed-the-rugby-10509860.html

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 17, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

If someone writes "an herb" I assume their brain is broken
Pronouncing the haitch in herb is a very recent hinglish hypercorrection.

Caribbean people, RP speakers, and most of the Eastern Commonwealth still pronounce 'erb correctly, it's just Hyacinth Bucket types who hadd the hunnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Americans pronounce it “erb” and that’s all I need to know it’s wrong