Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fuligin posted:

it's language drift!!!
yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

galagazombie posted:

The other 50% would be having more than the same dozen people voicing every single character in every single anime and video game.

This is has been how animation has worked since day one lol

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Alex Garland sounds like a real dum-dum

Anyway, the only reason there would be a Texas-California alliance is if Mexico took both of them back.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I would like the civil war movie more if they had given it a title

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

wtf do liberals think politics is?
politics are a fun tea-time conversation. Morality and good vs bad are only related to how skilled you are at working a bon mot into your arguments

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Retelling the English Civil War in contemporary America would at least be interesting and 60-70% of the audience wouldn’t be familiar enough with the history to understand that California and Texas are the Roundheads, standing in for the south and east of England. "the words populous, rich, and rebellious seemed to go hand in hand".

Seems like a slam dunk for a British director trying to depict a civil war that’s not the ACW all over again.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I watch all shows with dubs in one language I don't understand and subs in another

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Retelling the English Civil War in contemporary America would at least be interesting and 60-70% of the audience wouldn’t be familiar enough with the history

goddamn you give americans a lot of credit lol

I'd say 97%?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i say swears online posted:

goddamn you give americans a lot of credit lol

I'd say 97%?

yeah... i gotta say I don't know who the roundheads are either

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

yeah... i gotta say I don't know who the roundheads are either

you know one side was called the roundheads which is about what i know living here

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

god what a stupid disappointing explanation for an otherwise well constructed world

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Crossposting

https://twitter.com/joerussotweets/status/1767968501741105283?t=e-dFuJqwl3pTbwXo3hAwBw&s=19

Media literacy is when you think Ozymandias was right

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The ultimate Blue No Matter Who

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Canonically: Lilith is better at video games than Niles.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

What's the most highbrow multiplayer game for Niles to suck at

Was there multiplayer EU3

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

niles operates the most successful bank in eve online because he doesnt know its supposed to be a scam

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

What's the most highbrow multiplayer game for Niles to suck at

Was there multiplayer EU3

He died while playing the "Tutorial Level" by tripping and falling so in my head canon he was playing Disco Elysium but given the time period of the episode, the character of Frederick, and the fact that he was playing a PS1: the most likely game he was playing was Metal Gear Solid 1

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Being Frasier's son, Frederick is definitely the type of kid who would play and understand MGS at like 10 years old

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Isn't the joke on New Fraiser that Freddie is a working class fella who dropped out of Yale to be a fireman or something?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Isn't the joke on New Fraiser that Freddie is a working class fella who dropped out of Yale to be a fireman or something?

Yeeeesss but that's because he was raised by two ivy League psychiatrists and got over that whole world by the time he was like 15. He takes after his granddad Marty but he's still intelligent and learned

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
They actually do a pretty good job fleshing that out over the first season of the new Fraz

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is has been how animation has worked since day one lol

And that's why subtitles are better. Better actors, larger pools, more naturalistic acting (for anime).

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Shageletic posted:

And that's why subtitles are better. Better actors, larger pools, more naturalistic acting (for anime).

what? subtitles means no additional actors, so the pool is 0, and the acting is still a debased version of its original performance given you can't understand what is being said so aren't actively focusing on it the way you are on reading/watching

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I like the Utah dub of English movies. There would be lil video shacks that sold G-rated edits where they would overdub every swear word with a fake swear word. Way lower budget than the TV edits.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

indigi posted:

what? subtitles means no additional actors, so the pool is 0, and the acting is still a debased version of its original performance given you can't understand what is being said so aren't actively focusing on it the way you are on reading/watching

Lol. The VA acting pool of Japan is more varied than what you tend to see in America afaik (like that one Canadian studio responsible for like most of 90s anime dubs). And your last sentence is an argument against watching any foreign films in their natural language at all. You get the performance through the actors performance.

Straight up flummoxed by this post.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

KirbyKhan posted:

The ultimate Blue No Matter Who

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I can only tell if a foreign actor is upset if the subtitles say "I'm really pissed off!"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Lol. The VA acting pool of Japan is more varied than what you tend to see in America afaik (like that one Canadian studio responsible for like most of 90s anime dubs).

in animation, you aren't getting the major part of the VA's acting if you can't understand the language so past a minimum threshold it doesn't matter how small or large the pool of actors is. comparing it to live action is really weird, not sure why you'd do that

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

like the major components of acting are speech, motion, expression, body language. with animation three of the four are pre-decided and if you can't understand the speech a big chunk of line delivery goes as well

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I watch pretty much everything with subtitles on.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

wtf do liberals think politics is?

It's about right vs wrong and good vs bad, only you call the bad part extremism.

If it was anyone else's saying it I thought it'd be bait. Impressive.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

in animation, you aren't getting the major part of the VA's acting if you can't understand the language so past a minimum threshold it doesn't matter how small or large the pool of actors is. comparing it to live action is really weird, not sure why you'd do that

i think this is a good thing because everything sounds well acted. All these Japanese people could be phoning it in and i'd never know. Subs ftw

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Regarde Aduck posted:

i think this is a good thing because everything sounds well acted. All these Japanese people could be phoning it in and i'd never know. Subs ftw

i had a very similar reaction to playing Symphony of the Night undubbed. sounded great because I couldn't understand any of it.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

the only downside of subs is that you are able to read them very fast so unless the subber is dedicated to their craft sometimes dramatic delivery is hastened too much

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BONGHITZ posted:

the only downside of subs is that you are able to read them very fast so unless the subber is dedicated to their craft sometimes dramatic delivery is hastened too much

yes but also i get to laugh at jokes faster than my dumb friends

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

kinda impressive to embrace two completely opposite yet equally lovely worldviews like that

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

indigi posted:

that's a little better I guess. boring decisions are better than bad ones (usually)

:wtf: shameful take

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

BONGHITZ posted:

i agree that this is the only downside

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BONGHITZ posted:

sometimes there are series that go really hard on the action while characters are talking at the same time and the choreography can just go completely over my head because I’m looking at the subtitles, and then I see a clip of the scene dubbed and I’m like “oh that’s what they were doing in this fight”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

RandolphCarter posted:

I watch pretty much everything with subtitles on.