Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's a reason Rome's most bitter rivalry and brutal wars were with the rival naval power on the other side of the Mediterranean.

Long after Greece's golden age of course, iirc Rome didn't even directly conquer Greece, they beat the power that currently was Greece's overlord and took over the holdings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
My brother is really into collecting ancient coins and I'd really like to get him something for his upcoming birthday. Do you folks have a recommended place to get him one that's confirmed as possible to be more in the ethically-traded category rather than the "looted by ISIS and smuggled into North America via the Hobby Lobby family" category?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Used to be a lad slinging them in the buying selling forums.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Gaius Marius posted:

Used to be a lad slinging them in the buying selling forums.

Yeah, he's where I've bought all my Caracalla/Severan dynasty coins. For me, it's hard to trust any other sources.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think that coins are perhaps the most safe antiquity you can buy, since once they've been used to date a particular dig and maybe given a quick scrape in case they want to test the metallurgy, they are basically like indicator fossils: 'not much further actual information to be found here.'

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Grand Fromage posted:

I picked up a few ancient coins, should probably take pics for the thread.

I miss the guy selling coins here. I got a bout 15 of them and I love em.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Nessus posted:

I think that coins are perhaps the most safe antiquity you can buy, since once they've been used to date a particular dig and maybe given a quick scrape in case they want to test the metallurgy, they are basically like indicator fossils: 'not much further actual information to be found here.'

That is true, but it also means that because there are so many coins on the market, and many of them have been circulating on the antiquities market for many decades (or longer), no one can really keep track of the origin of all the coins, so its very hard to tell the difference between one that comes from looting and one that doesn't.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If ancient Rome had Big Macs, how much would they cost?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

White flour and beef? Senatorial class only.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
condimentum speciale, but it's garum. Cheese would be Romano. Lettuce is Egyptian, apparently. Sesame seeds also used by ancient Egyptians.

gently caress, I'm working nightshift and now craving garum burger.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Elissimpark posted:

condimentum speciale, but it's garum. Cheese would be Romano. Lettuce is Egyptian, apparently. Sesame seeds also used by ancient Egyptians.

Garum is so delicious. I got to try the sauce once when a high school Latin teacher made a recipe of it for us. Very salty as I remember, but adds a ton of flavor to lots of things when used right. I also now want a garum burger, that sounds amazing.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Can anyone do a summary of the current state of the field on the peopling of the americas?

Listening to Tides of History lately and the very loosely informed impression I get from that is that while it's basically a certainty Clovis first isn't it, I guess you could say Clovis seems to have been the first actually monumental change? Groups almost certainly preceded them, very likely by a long long time, but there's very little evidence that any were even close to as successful.

Clovis wasn't first, but they were the first that were meaningful?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Garum is proof that Thailand is the true successor to Rome.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a reason Rome's most bitter rivalry and brutal wars were with the rival naval power on the other side of the Mediterranean.

Long after Greece's golden age of course, iirc Rome didn't even directly conquer Greece, they beat the power that currently was Greece's overlord and took over the holdings.

They did but it was kind of an epilogue to the main event (namely, Rome stomping Macedon, then the Seleucids, then Macedon again). After the Macedon stomp, there was no Roman occupation of Greece (because they were busy with partitioning Macedon and also the Third Punic War was happening at the same time). So the Achaean league decided to pursue an independent course. The Romans sent an embassy to ask them wtf they thought they were doing and when that didn’t bring them under control, stomped them too and annihilated Corinth to make the point. No big deal for them but the Greeks clearly felt it pretty sorely. There’s a brief narrative in the Achaean section of Pausanias’ “Description of Greece”. Also Polybius books 38 & 39, which are fragmentary unfortunately but you can definitely get an idea of what he thought of the league’s plan.

skasion fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 18, 2024

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

FreudianSlippers posted:

:hmmyes:

(Sorry I don't have more to contribute right now than a hmm yes to all these great and informative posts/questions. I'm just, I admit, kind of exhausted with academic/historical reading at the moment and need a little while to rest my eyes/brain. Plus I'm just a very interested/hyperfixated amateur anyway, not a professional with credentials and experience. Anyway that's one thing bookmarks are for of course, so I appreciate all the things mentioned here, and I'm bookmarking it all to save for when I can handle them. Thanks all!)

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

FreudianSlippers posted:

Western sailors fell in love with southeast Asian fish sauce and tried to replicate the taste, first with mushrooms but later with tomatoes.
Point is ketchup is garum which makes America Rome.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Koramei posted:

Can anyone do a summary of the current state of the field on the peopling of the americas?

Listening to Tides of History lately and the very loosely informed impression I get from that is that while it's basically a certainty Clovis first isn't it, I guess you could say Clovis seems to have been the first actually monumental change? Groups almost certainly preceded them, very likely by a long long time, but there's very little evidence that any were even close to as successful.

From my admittedly inexpert understanding, this is one of the big mysteries in American archaeology right now. The genetic evidence points to people being in the Americas a lot earlier than Clovis, and there are scattered sites that are earlier, but Clovis is so huge and shows up everywhere.

Stefan Milo's youtube channel has some great videos on the subject:
https://youtu.be/UsnrdCdGs7o?si=ENnOwgNRR1goYMmf
https://youtu.be/cXRoKJcLjJw?si=EKnFlCrONiCt-DzZ

Basically we just don't know. While people were almost certainly in the Americas before it, Clovis could represent the first big wave, possibly of people who had stayed in Alaska until the glaciers melted. Or it could just be an artifact (heh) of preservation, that earlier sites didn't preserve as well or are in locations archaeologists have overlooked until now.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

FishFood posted:

From my admittedly inexpert understanding, this is one of the big mysteries in American archaeology right now. The genetic evidence points to people being in the Americas a lot earlier than Clovis, and there are scattered sites that are earlier, but Clovis is so huge and shows up everywhere.

Stefan Milo's youtube channel has some great videos on the subject:
https://youtu.be/UsnrdCdGs7o?si=ENnOwgNRR1goYMmf
https://youtu.be/cXRoKJcLjJw?si=EKnFlCrONiCt-DzZ

Basically we just don't know. While people were almost certainly in the Americas before it, Clovis could represent the first big wave, possibly of people who had stayed in Alaska until the glaciers melted. Or it could just be an artifact (heh) of preservation, that earlier sites didn't preserve as well or are in locations archaeologists have overlooked until now.
There would be a certain grim irony if the Clovis culture showed up and just rolled all over the pre-existing societies, before eventually diverging in myriad ways.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
More mediaeval history, but I remembered from The Last Duel there's a bit of a deal made about how when the wife is left alone in the castle there's only one door that her stalker can use to get in. Wondering if that has any basis in reality. It's easy to see feudal castles as protection from unhappy peasants, as well as thieves and such, as much as against full on sieges. Was it a thing to practice security and lock the place up in relative peacetime?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Koramei posted:

A summary?

:iiam:

From what I've heard lately it sounds like the 'ice free corridor' theory is bunk but nobody has a better one at the moment so...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Elissimpark posted:

I am not getting garum for my sesame seed bun. The bun will be dry. Don't tell me later: "You did not write to me."

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
A lot of early NA arch sites are almost certainly underwater along the coast line which makes things difficult. We have some sites which we are pretty sure are earlier than what is commonly accepted, but theres not really enough present to figure out whats up, Archaic period sites are already extremely difficult to determine/find and anything earlier is just going to be that much more difficult.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Yeah, the kelp highway along the alaskan and siberian coasts in the north atlantic went along a coastline that no longer exists. there are likely settlements after settlements going all the way down the coast that are now deep underwater.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It is crazy to think how different the coastlines and environment was like in 16kya. Massive icebergs covering big chunks of the planet. The sea level 130 meters lower than it is now.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I thought it was 130 ft not m. :catstare:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nessus posted:

I thought it was 130 ft not m. :catstare:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17746818/

quote:

A sea-level curve of the past 35,000 years for the Atlantic continental shelf of the United States is based on more than 80 radiocarbon dates, 15 of which are older than 15,000 years. Materials include shallow-water mollusks, oolites, coralline algae, beachrock, and salt-marsh peat. Sea level 30,000 to 35,000 years ago was near the present one. Subsequent glacier growth lowered sea level to about -130 meters 16,000 years ago. Holocene transgression probably began about 14,000 years ago, and continued rapidly to about 7000 years ago. Dates from most shelves of the world agree with this curve, suggesting that it is approximately the eustatic curve for the period.

When I read that I did a double take, myself. That's slightly more than 70 fathoms.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Can anyone recommend a good solid book that outlines the timeline of the Marcomannic Wars and the events leading up to it?

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah, the kelp highway along the alaskan and siberian coasts in the north atlantic went along a coastline that no longer exists. there are likely settlements after settlements going all the way down the coast that are now deep underwater.

The glacial geology of the northeast Pacific coast is quite complex! There are areas along the coast where the weight of the ice depressed the land, then rebounded again, so the average sea level only changed by a few meters. Other ancient sites are above current sea levels due to this rebound.

There's site in BC that has seen continual use from ~14,000 years ago to today!

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352409X23000597

Grumio fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 18, 2024

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SlothfulCobra posted:

If ancient Rome had Big Macs, how much would they cost?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHXf3k4C-ys

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's kind of weird that more than half of the world's population worship the same god (even if the adherents disagree they do). Is there any scholarship on why the deity from a group of levantine Iron Age tribesman became the god of the majority of humans alive on the planet earth several thousand years later? Is this just a byproduct of monotheism vs polytheism? Other than Zoroastrianism, were there other monotheistic non-Abrahamic religions?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think they are the same god at all Zoux

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You don't think that Muslims, Jews, and Christians worship the god of Abraham?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Christians worship a trinity which is not something Jews and Muslims really go for, for example. I don’t even think Christians are monotheist. But that is def arguable

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

it's pretty key that both Christianity and Islam are religions that place a very large value on converting unbelievers, by force or persuasion (with different emphasis at different times in history) and were quite good at the force part

judaism notably does not place a similar emphasis on converting unbelievers which is a big factor in why it's nowhere near the other two

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Every Christian I have met in the USA 100% does not worship the god of Abraham. At all.

Maybe a learned doctor of divinity could explain the connection to you if you asked them

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
I mean, observant Jew here. There are differences, but never in a million years would I suggest that we do not worship the same God as Muslims or Christians.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You worship Jesus ?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I see them more as three monotheistic deities from the same polytheist pantheon. A holy trinity, if you will.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

evilweasel posted:

it's pretty key that both Christianity and Islam are religions that place a very large value on converting unbelievers,

Are they the only two evangelical religions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they messed with the definition of "is" and "one" to make worshipping jesus still monotheist in the 300s. the council of nicaea started it and augustine of hippo got it done, which is why they made him a saint