Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
He specced to much into pvp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

basement dweller behaviour

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Come to think of it, like Laios I too think animals, their psychology, etc are much more agreeable and fascinating than humans.

But also like Laios, I do and interpret things in a way that makes people question my mental state.

What I’m saying is that this manga gets it.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

thetoughestbean posted:

He specced to much into pvp

He really did. Grew up raised by the elvish dungeon crawling squad and ended up becoming a dungeon crawler himself, but all his actual skills are in charisma, politics, intrigue, and dualing humans. We built him for the wrong campaign, as a joke.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I love him

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Oh my god poo poo is gonna pop off so hard in the anime once the Mad Magician/Thistle and Chimera Falin show up and it only gets crazier from then on. Ughhhhh I cannot wait!

e: I have some questions I've been wondering about that I'm not quite clear on.

Kabru's hometown, Utaya. I get that it was overrun by monsters and everyone died, but the demon didn't actually come out then. Why? Was Thistle's desires too small for the demon to feed on (ie only concerned about King Delgal and the Golden Country rather than changing the whole world)?

Also, why was Izatsumi so sleepy in the Golden Country? I'm not sure if they gave a definitive answer to that or if I'm just misremembering.

Another one: Why are Mithrun's eyes so hosed up? Did he stroke out after the demon ate most of his desires?

e2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Hr2_uX73o&t=14s

It's probably been shared here before, but the character design in Dungeon Meshi is indeed striking and I wish more manga/comics/media in general reflected diverse body types. Even though she's a minor character, I am infatuated with the giant oni girl's (Toude) muscular/tall with peach-shaped body type combined with her simple but cheerful personality. People should not feel pressured or constrained to limit character designs within societal biases or preconceptions.

e3:

Low-poly Dungeon Meshi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpWFlRhsiHM

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 16, 2024

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Thistle wasn’t involved in the Utaya dungeon. It presumably had its own master, who the Canaries dealt with before their desires could be eaten.

Izutsumi was docile in the Golden Country because the enchantment that made the monsters tame there was influencing her monster half.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I'm assuming Kabru's homeland wasn't a "demon wins" scenario as much as the dungeon being discovered, but adventurers dealing with it irresponsibly, which caused ripples in the ecosystem and monsters cascading outside in impossible numbers after they became unchecked by predators or whatever.

Izutsumi was sleepy in the Golden Country because there's a spell over it that makes beasts/monsters tame. It's unclear if this affected the beast half of her on account of being a big cat, or the whole of her on account of beastkins counting as monsters for the purposes of the spell. Alternatively, maybe she was just feeling eepy.

Mithrun got one of his eyes (and an ear too, I think?) eaten by the demon, it was one of those things the demon took from dungeon masters, like Marcille's haircare routine.

And yea that video is good. Some good manga recs on that channel, too. You should definitely check the Daydream Hour books if you haven't already for more details on Ryoko Kui's design process, also silly bits with the characters

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The Demon eating desires leave no physical mark on the victims. Mithrun's crushed eye is specifically because when the Goat grabbed him to start eating, its thumb was pressing down on his eye.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Even though she's a minor character, I am infatuated with the giant oni girl's (Toude) muscular/tall with peach-shaped body type combined with her simple but cheerful personality.

oh word?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
:hmmyes:

Namari and Senshi are the first two hot dwarves that I have ever seen.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
Sea Serpent (presumably ep 14) is another thing I am looking forward to.

So many anime onlies think Kabru and his party are just a running gag. It will be hilarious when he straight up murders some motherfuckers and dumps them in a lake.. Kabru is like a microcosm of this story’s escalation.

At first you think he is there to provide a contrast to the main group, then you think they are running gag, then he is suddenly positioned as a genuinely threatening possible antagonist, but then you find out that he is a very reasonable and rational man with good reasons for why he is like that… and then he is some some dude’s babysitter secondary POV character for the overarching threat and political angle of the dungeon.

They might even make a more blatant hint towards his backstory and maybe include a brief shot of him as a kid for that panel that shows monsters eating a villagers corpse (maybe his mom, even).

Sander fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 16, 2024

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I love the scene when Kabru, Shuro and Laios are arguing with each other after the reveal that dark magic was used to revive Falin and subsequent reveal of the Falingon.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
For the panel where Laios is offering him some monster food and he is having some genuine PTSD flashbacks in the background, I hope they deadass include a whole short graphic AoT-esque flashback of Utaya, only as a lead in to him eating some monster.

It would be peak dark comedy.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/lemmyo_/status/1768809546649071888

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
when Kabru instantly dealt with Chimera Falin with that sneak attack throat cut was when I realized oh, this guy is actually extremely dangerous and badass when he’s in his element.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

It's probably been shared here before, but the character design in Dungeon Meshi is indeed striking and I wish more manga/comics/media in general reflected diverse body types. Even though she's a minor character, I am infatuated with the giant oni girl's (Toude) muscular/tall with peach-shaped body type combined with her simple but cheerful personality. People should not feel pressured or constrained to limit character designs within societal biases or preconceptions.

Giant girls in anime seem to come in two flavors: Mommy and gap moe cupcake.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Xelkelvos posted:

Giant girls in anime seem to come in two flavors: Mommy and gap moe cupcake.
and also nomadic god-warrior

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
biggest sister

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

panko posted:

I really want to buy this but am patiently waiting for an english translation so I don’t have to sticker up the cards

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/371794/monster-eater

the art is so good…

https://gigazine.net/gsc_news/en/20220831-monster-eater-dangeon-meshi-review/

I actually managed to obtain a copy of this recently. It's as cute as it looks, though I can't find anyone to actually play it with.

I'd take some pictures but it looks like the second link there is already pretty comprehensive.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I binge read the manga thanks to the anime and there's SO much I'm looking forward to seeing animated with how well things have been done up til now.

ch. 46

ch. 40

ch. 65

ch. 37

DrSunshine posted:

I'm looking forward to Marcille's "Dark Magic Witch" scene. :unsmigghh:

ch. 27 gave me some junji ito vibes

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 17, 2024

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Diephoon posted:

I binge read the manga thanks to the anime and there's SO much I'm looking forward to seeing animated with how well things have been done up til now.

ch. 46

ch. 40

ch. 65

ch. 37

ch. 27 gave me some junji ito vibes

This manga is so loving good. I've really been enjoying my reread.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Diephoon posted:

ch. 65

I posted this in the favorite panels thread earlier, but it's probably in my top 3 panels in this manga and/or ever. Every time I look at it I start cackling like a madman. That whole sequence is so deranged it's absurd.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Bad Seafood posted:

I actually managed to obtain a copy of this recently. It's as cute as it looks, though I can't find anyone to actually play it with.

I'd take some pictures but it looks like the second link there is already pretty comprehensive.

it surprised me to see that the solo-handing reviewer took two hours to play through once because the components look like they lend themselves to a quicker, lighter experience, but I nevertheless would pick this up if it ever got an english translation, despite being fairly averse to most licensed board games, because dungeon meshi. like almost all of it looks like munchkin/boss monster levels of ‘take that’ wacky and arbitrary but I’m blinded by the IP (mainly, the original illustrations of not only the main party but the brunt of cool side characters)

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Can anyone help me find the chapter a certain panel is in? It's the panel where everyone has thought bubbles of what they think about the most and it shows Izutsumi thinking about Izutsumi

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Happy Landfill posted:

Can anyone help me find the chapter a certain panel is in? It's the panel where everyone has thought bubbles of what they think about the most and it shows Izutsumi thinking about Izutsumi

Pretty sure it’s the bicorn.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

I wish this manga would get an update, genuinely enjoyed it.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

don Jaime posted:

That's it! Thank you! :tipshat:

:kimchi:

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 18, 2024

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

don Jaime posted:

I just reread that chapter and it struck me as really funny that they all just assume that Laios is corrupt enough for the bicorn and are surprised that he's not.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

an actual dog posted:

I just reread that chapter and it struck me as really funny that they all just assume that Laios is corrupt enough for the bicorn and are surprised that he's not.

Not quite as weird as Chilchuck risking an arm to maintain the lie that he’s a horrible husband.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Chilchuck would rather be maimed then be emotionally honest with his coworkers and tbh I can get that

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Yeah, he would rather present himself as someone who kind of sucks but who knows it rather than admit he just doesn't understand why his relationship with his wife fell apart. I could easily see myself doing the same

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If Chilchuk was capable of talking about feelings his marriage probably wouldn't have collapsed in the first place

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Also he has no idea why the marriage fell apart, I guarantee he spent quite a few sleepless nights wondering if he did in fact do something horrible without realising it.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Pureauthor posted:

Also he has no idea why the marriage fell apart, I guarantee he spent quite a few sleepless nights wondering if he did in fact do something horrible without realising it.

Yeah that's what I thought too, he doesn't think he's a virtuous husband.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's a surprisingly realistic portrayal of a certain kind of middle-aged struggle, which in turn heightens the comedy of it happening to the li'l hobbit guy.

Hopefully the world settling down can give Chilchuk the time and space to work on himself and his family, it sounds like exactly the kind of problem that's made worse by having a lot of work you can throw yourself into. It's also the problem in the group that's most typical and could be worked on with conventional counselling, instead of trying to unpack the root of Laios's monster fixation or Senshi's survivor guilt or whatever is up with Izutsumi.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Izutsumi doesn't have anything wrong with her, she's just an amazingly realistic representation of both a cat's and a teenager's personality.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
To use the Cagle Classification System, Izutsumi is a LONG TEEN.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Izutsumi is the most actually cat-like catgirl I've ever encountered in anime or manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
That's because she is a cat.