Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I wouldn't know. I've been binging a Course in Miracles Made Easy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

squid, dont use bing

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

:wave: hi squizzle, hi religion thread, what's the latest?
Visited the Cologne cathedral again, it never gets old, even though I've lived here all my life :toot:

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I had a weird experience in bed last night where my heart opened and I realised I am sincere. That I really do want what's best for humanity or something like that. Rather than say, the Ego decieving me.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Prurient Squid posted:

I had a weird experience in bed last night where my heart opened and I realised I am sincere. That I really do want what's best for humanity or something like that. Rather than say, the Ego decieving me.
That's powerful and encouraging to hear, because I've also been experiencing similar things/awakenings in recent days/weeks/months. :love:

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Also, I've been playing a lot of 999 by Kotaro Uchikoshi. It's a visual novel that has a lot of references both to Egypt and to the number 9. So there's some more synchronicity.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Orbs posted:

That's powerful and encouraging to hear, because I've also been experiencing similar things/awakenings in recent days/weeks/months. :love:

Oh wow, that's amazing. Some kind of rising conciousness going on in this thread.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Prurient Squid posted:

💗💗💗

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Goons Are Gifts posted:

:wave: hi squizzle, hi religion thread, what's the latest?
Visited the Cologne cathedral again, it never gets old, even though I've lived here all my life :toot:

hello!!!!! ive always been fascinated by cathedrals ever since i learned that they were not polyhedrons that had feline faces

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Squizzle posted:

hello!!!!! ive always been fascinated by cathedrals ever since i learned that they were not polyhedrons that had feline faces

Lies. You would be fascinated by those, too.

dildo sample pack
Nov 27, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I love God!!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Prurient Squid posted:

Oh wow, that's amazing. Some kind of rising conciousness going on in this thread.
Indeed, and I believe potentially even outside of this thread, and beyond Something Awful in general. Hopefully.

Prurient Squid posted:

Also, I've been playing a lot of 999 by Kotaro Uchikoshi. It's a visual novel that has a lot of references both to Egypt and to the number 9. So there's some more synchronicity.
I'm actually a really big VN Enjoyer, but never personally played 999 myself. I've read some good reviews though, so I think I might check it out in the near future.

I'm not sure exactly what this image might mean, but I'm kind of into it anyway? lol

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

II love four armed Jesus and also the strange unicorn demon man

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Just about 999.

The Steam version uses two modes, Adventure mode and Novel mode. You start off in Adventure mode. But if you want the true DS experience you have to switch it to Novel mode to get the full verbosity of Uchikoshi's vision. In all honesty, you don't lose much by playing in Adventure mode!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you aren't too far I'd consider trying to switch to the physical DS version. There are things that aren't gonna hit right on PC.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I already did the DS version.

dildo sample pack
Nov 27, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Saint Joseph's holy silence is something for which I am feeling grateful today!!!

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I'm going to copy out a paragraph from the entry in the course in miracles workbook I read today.

"Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind. Go past all the raucous shrieks and sick imaginings that cover your real thoughts and obscure your eternal link with God. Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. You do not live here. We are trying to reach your real home. We are trying to reach the place where you are truly welcome. We are trying to reach God."

Course in Miracles, The Workbook, Lesson 49, Paragraph 4.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 20, 2024

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Sounds a lot like the centering prayer practice of Thomas Keating described in Open Mind, Open Heart.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

For the first time I actually took the workbook exercise seriously today and followed it to the letter. I meditated using the mantra "I am sustained by the Love of God" for 10m in the morning and then for another 10m in the evening.

I enjoyed the fact that I was engaging with the text throughout the day. It's like making friends with the book.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Killingyouguy! posted:

II love four armed Jesus and also the strange unicorn demon man
I kinda do too. Jesus with more arms probably could have accomplished even more.

Prurient Squid posted:

For the first time I actually took the workbook exercise seriously today and followed it to the letter. I meditated using the mantra "I am sustained by the Love of God" for 10m in the morning and then for another 10m in the evening.

I enjoyed the fact that I was engaging with the text throughout the day. It's like making friends with the book.
That's very cool actually, I love the exercise of engaging intentionally with a work or meditation or God throughout the day. Making friends with the text!

It kind of reminds me of my own religious practices and forays into divinity, which I was intending to share. I have a thread about them on SA in the PMF subforum: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4055383

Obviously I find it very rewarding and powerful, but a caveat- it's mainly my own personal faith (with some syncretism with other important faiths/philosophies to me). It has very little/nothing in common with most forms of Christianity. I invite everyone who wants to do so to read it, regardless of their personal beliefs, but I felt like that warning was necessary, since I know well how important faith is.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5ocFgHz_Rs

Sharon, Lois, & Bram are Canadian children's entertainers and I grew up with this song on one of their cassettes.

I just learned it's a Shaker hymn?? What?? Sharon Lois and Bram were not a religious group

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Killingyouguy! posted:

Sharon, Lois, & Bram are Canadian children's entertainers and I grew up with this song on one of their cassettes.

I just learned it's a Shaker hymn?? What?? Sharon Lois and Bram were not a religious group
Video not available :(

Lotta hymns that aren't necessarily all 'God god god god god, sinners get out, god up in this bitch' and I believe they are generally in the public domain, as well as often becoming part of authentic folk music.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Killingyouguy! posted:

I assume it refers to "Simple Gifts," which has become a ubiquitous tune far removed from its origins.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Nessus posted:

'God god god god god, sinners get out, god up in this bitch'

This is what Carman wished he was

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

PYF carman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LJhJP8C-DU

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D11OBSEZWgg

a) gently caress you

1) fuckin liftin the beat straight up from wild thing lmao

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
lmao carman sucks so bad

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

sinnesloeschen posted:

lmao carman sucks so bad

That's why it's so funny

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

To do it a bit in reverse, here's a Jewish country song whose melody may be familiar to those from the tri-state area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VinfJSac5Js

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

carman never should have outgrown his carefree days as turbo teen

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Nessus posted:

To do it a bit in reverse, here's a Jewish country song whose melody may be familiar to those from the tri-state area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VinfJSac5Js

:dudsmile:

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Did the writers of the New Testament favor the Sadducees or the Pharisees more when they wrote about them?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MeatRocket8 posted:

Did the writers of the New Testament favor the Sadducees or the Pharisees more when they wrote about them?

The Sadducees are barely mentioned in the NT. They were Hellenized and collaborators with the Romans so they got pretty short shrift. They didn't believe in resurrection, so they were all sad, you see.

The Pharisees, on the other hand get a lot of press in the Gospels. Most of it negative, however. Jesus rips into them regularly for not living up to the ideals of the Law and their status in society. So there is admiration for what they ought to be, and impatience with what many of them were.

Paul was a Pharisee himself, so they generally come off more positively.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

MeatRocket8 posted:

Neither is the best answer, but it definitely devotes more time to talking poo poo about the Pharisees.

It's worth pointing out a few things that might help you understand the political landscape a bit more. First, those weren't the only two groups within Second Temple Judaism, there were the Zealots and the Essenes as organized groups, and plenty of unaffiliated preachers like John the Baptist running around to boot.

Second, most people wouldn't consider themselves members of any of these groups, it's not like modern times where there's a lot of ideological sorting happening. The vast majority of common folks were just trying to get by and didn't care about theological arguments.

Third, the Sadducees ceased to exist either with the destruction of the Second Temple in 70 CE or shortly thereafter. Because their whole thing was that Judaism is all about the Temple, once the temple was gone and obviously wasn't going to be rebuilt, that was basically it for them.

At least 3 of the 4 Gospels were written after the destruction of the Temple (Mark was written either right before or immediately after, it isn't settled) as were a number of the other New Testament books. The Pharisees continued to be an organized movement and so any conflict that Jesus may have had with the Sadducees wasn't as vital as one with the Pharisees, who were still around. Given that, it makes sense for the writers of the Bible to devote more time and energy to attacking Pharisaic teachings and actions than Sadducees, though I do think that Jesus disliked both.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Some people sounded a trumpet when they were handing out alms. Jesus thought it blows.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Azathoth posted:

though I do think that Jesus disliked both.

One of the historical Jesus scholars has Paul’s collection and delivery to the temple leading into the events setting off the war. Then the more Greek thinking Jews are distancing themselves from the more traditionally Jewish Jews and scrubbing how bad the temple offering went entirely from the documents because of the war and all the crucifixions by the Romans .

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Deteriorata posted:

The Sadducees didn't believe in resurrection, so they were all sad, you see.

:eyepop:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Bar Ran Dun posted:

One of the historical Jesus scholars has Paul’s collection and delivery to the temple leading into the events setting off the war. Then the more Greek thinking Jews are distancing themselves from the more traditionally Jewish Jews and scrubbing how bad the temple offering went entirely from the documents because of the war and all the crucifixions by the Romans .
I'm skeptical that the nascent Jesus movement was anything more than bystanders regarding the war but I'd love to know more about this argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Some people say the Christians of the time had a prophecy Jerusalem was about to be destroyed and left the city before the siege, which didn't exactly endear them to the other Jews.