Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Arc Furnaces and Dyson Swarms as mini megastructures sound awesome, especially with the new origin that looks like it'll start you with one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yes! More midgame megastructures please!

Let me literally, not figuratively, build a giant middle finger pointed right at my most hated rival. Let's get real petty. Let's get stupid. I don't care. I want big-rear end things that do big-rear end things.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
huh, that's probably the first xpac i've ever felt like looking forward to? looks like it'll be pretty meaty too, which is a nice change from feeling like i got scammed

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Seems like this will make synthetic dawn kindna pointless in hindsight? But the feature list looks good, look forward to it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Avalerion posted:

Seems like this will make synthetic dawn kindna pointless in hindsight? But the feature list looks good, look forward to it.

Synthetic dawn was like... poo poo a long time ago now. This is Synth Dawn 2.0, the Synthening.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
skipped the last one but this sounds like its gonna shake things up. send in the rubbits.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Libluini posted:

:lol:, another thing I wished for fulfilled. What's next, gas giant dwellers? :allears:

I want to play as the space whales

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I am hoping for Toxic God as the crisis for some reason, Rips out of the center of the galaxy and starts toxic terraforming.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I keep going back and forth between "this is cool as gently caress" and "this is gonna make everything else feel half baked"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Libluini posted:

:lol:, another thing I wished for fulfilled. What's next, gas giant dwellers? :allears:

Dathnak 4 Lyfe

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

I keep going back and forth between "this is cool as gently caress" and "this is gonna make everything else feel half baked"

This is gonna be cool as gently caress is right, more mid tier megastructures, MORE I SAY

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Jack Trades posted:

They better do something about gene-/robo-modding being a general pain in the rear end to use if they're going to release a DLC that adds even more of it.

Yeah, overhauling species management is probably the most critical improvement they could make to the game and has been for a very long time. This xpack will be pretty much pointless to me otherwise.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Libluini posted:

Huh, you do know any species you're integrating eventually gets replaced by your own, yes? If you hate them and their worlds, just take them over. Peacefully or otherwise. Terraform their worlds, gene-engineer them to fit that new world. Then they're usefully withering away down to nothing. Complete annihilation doesn't necessarily mean dropping bombs, that's for boring people.

The problem isn't so much the species as the planet, I almost never get the tech to terraform tomb worlds. If I invade and start converting the population, I'm paying crazy upkeep on my pops. That's why above I suggested invading, removing the population (cutting their rights down to chattel slavery if I need to, to keep their upkeep low) and eventually converting them all.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jack Trades posted:

They better do something about gene-/robo-modding being a general pain in the rear end to use if they're going to release a DLC that adds even more of it.
Oh god yes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I like to play as necrophage space vampires so I usually jump for joy when I find a new, unspoiled pre-ftl civ, but that system annoys the poo poo out of me. I do not want these awful tomb worlds, I do not want these garbage species. I try to just put up observation posts and mine them for insights, but one of the civs has a habit of eventually discovering FTL and I'm forced to take over this planet that's more trouble than it's worth.
Vassal them? I assume necrophages can do that. Or cut non-worker jobs to a minimum and build a robot factory, eventually you'll eat all the garbage pops and just have a bunch of robots mining radioactive steel with a couple of your main species as overseers.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Splicer posted:

Vassal them? I assume necrophages can do that. Or cut non-worker jobs to a minimum and build a robot factory, eventually you'll eat all the garbage pops and just have a bunch of robots mining radioactive steel with a couple of your main species as overseers.

I'm spiritualist so no robots for me.

Issue with vassalization is that I need to wait for them to discover FTL, recognize their independence, and then either wardec or demmand subjugation before some other empire does it. I think much safer to invade before they discover FTL and take the diplomacy hit. My space vamps are also militarist/supremacist so I'm not that worried about the diplo penalty.

(My space vamps are authoritarian/spiritualist/militarist- psionic ascension and, if I can swing it, crisis path. In my current game I'm totally derailed because I had to surrender to the khan less than a year after the khanate was declared.)

When I was playing Broken Shackles and I got the twin tomb-world system it was actually really nice because I just taught them FTL, accepted their independence, and then immediately vassalized them into my alliance.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 15, 2024

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Issue with vassalization is that I need to wait for them to discover FTL, recognize their independence, and then either wardec or demmand subjugation before some other empire does it. I think much safer to invade before they discover FTL and take the diplomacy hit. My space vamps are also militarist/supremacist so I'm not that worried about the diplo penalty.

(My space vamps are authoritarian/spiritualist/militarist- psionic ascension and, if I can swing it, crisis path. In my current game I'm totally derailed because I had to surrender to the khan less than a year after the khanate was declared.)

When I was playing Broken Shackles and I got the twin tomb-world system it was actually really nice because I just taught them FTL, accepted their independence, and then immediately vassalized them into my alliance.

No robots for you... YET

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Invade or colonise or whatever then release the system as a vassal.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Splicer posted:

Invade or colonise or whatever then release the system as a vassal.

That's a decent idea

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

The problem isn't so much the species as the planet, I almost never get the tech to terraform tomb worlds. If I invade and start converting the population, I'm paying crazy upkeep on my pops. That's why above I suggested invading, removing the population (cutting their rights down to chattel slavery if I need to, to keep their upkeep low) and eventually converting them all.

From what I remember, new Necro-pops will automatically get the hability the original pops had, in this case, tomb world habitability. So you just need to put down some conversion buildings and you should be good to go.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Libluini posted:

From what I remember, new Necro-pops will automatically get the hability the original pops had, in this case, tomb world habitability. So you just need to put down some conversion buildings and you should be good to go.

Are you sure about that? I don't think that's true, my OG pops are all the same planet preference. I actively avoid genetically modifying them too, just as some roleplay challenge. I have had pops spontaneously convert as part of an event, though.

EDIT: if this is the case I've been playing my space vampires very suboptimally.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I have so many hours in this game but I'm still sometimes finding new events. In the last game I played (and abandoned) the Khan managed to take over about half the galaxy, either by conquest or vassalization. I had been waiting for the khan to die so I could jump on some of my weaker neighbors, suddenly kicked out of their previous alliances. But when the Khan died, the Khanate didn't end, instead they became diplomatic crusaders and kept the old khantate alliance together (mostly). Absolutely ruined my plans and I wound up walking away from that game.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Are you sure about that? I don't think that's true, my OG pops are all the same planet preference. I actively avoid genetically modifying them too, just as some roleplay challenge. I have had pops spontaneously convert as part of an event, though.

EDIT: if this is the case I've been playing my space vampires very suboptimally.

(Unless it got changed since last time I checked) you have to research Glandular Acclimation, the tech that lets you alter habitability preferences, and then after that your pops automatically switch to the local flavor. The problem is you end up with 10 different variants of your primary species and genemodding becomes even more of a pain in the rear end than it already was.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I think necros inherit habitability once you unlock glandular acclimation, the "gene mod habitability" tech.

Efb!

Actually thinking about it I'm not sure if they get the hab of the converted pop, or the correct one based on planet. Both would make some sense.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

As a necrophage, my take on invading poo poo worlds is

A) just loving do it
2) build as little as possible, just buildings that need no workers or that boost pop growth
Three: disable every other job
IV. Let every other pop naturally migrate to a better planet.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

As a necrophage, my take on invading poo poo worlds is

A) just loving do it
2) build as little as possible, just buildings that need no workers or that boost pop growth
Three: disable every other job
IV. Let every other pop naturally migrate to a better planet.

A good way to get rid of planets you absolutely do not want is turning them loose as vassals, then making them independent, then declaring war and blowing the planet up with a planet cracker.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

A good way to get rid of planets you absolutely do not want is turning them loose as vassals, then making them independent, then declaring war and blowing the planet up with a planet cracker.
That's a hell of a prank.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
if you do it late enough in the game they'll almost immediately begin constructing a Habitat that you CAN use, so just wait for that, then yeah give 'em the freedom ray

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is there a way to get rid of the awful constant message spam? It's bad enough that I'm getting endless requests for garbage treaties but I cannot give less of a gently caress about which two empires are now entering/breaking migration treaties or whatever. The game is so well programmed that disabling for example commercial pact spam between other empires also disables requests to me? How?!? EU4 manages it infinitely better and it's older and from the same company. Did paradox lose the ability to program that at some point? Does someone need to do an archaeology site in the archives of forgotten developer knowledge?

Also, is it difficult to make your own species name list mod?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Poil posted:

Also, is it difficult to make your own species name list mod?

Nope, not at all. If you look up Just Name Lists 3.4 (I updated somebody else’s mod) you can copy the syntax easily. The biggest problem is you have to keep the text-file encoding exactly the same for whatever reason.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
As a Necrophage Terravore I love invading poo poo worlds because I'm just going to eat it anyway, and any pops on those poo poo worlds become me.

Terravore is also the only way I can keep up with the GA AI in the early game post-tech nerf. Gone are the days where I could get strike craft cruisers around 2235 and just flatten anyone in my path. Around that time, AI militarist empires seem to have around 20k fleet power of destroyerrs that will just overwhelm you if you don't take supremacy and just start pumping out ships. I don't really like the tech changes overall, but I will give Paradox credit for forcing me to act more like the zerg if I'm going genocidal hive minds now.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

megane posted:

Nope, not at all. If you look up Just Name Lists 3.4 (I updated somebody else’s mod) you can copy the syntax easily. The biggest problem is you have to keep the text-file encoding exactly the same for whatever reason.
Cool, thanks.

I found it but all the comments are how it doesn't work?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I haven’t touched it in a while, but as far as I know the format hasn’t changed since then. It’s this one.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Great. I'll get right on that...

Will they ever fix this? This is so stupid. Also insert a complaint at the tech rng crap. :argh:

megane posted:

I haven’t touched it in a while, but as far as I know the format hasn’t changed since then. It’s this one.
That's the one I found. Thank you. :toot:

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 16, 2024

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I want to get back into this game. I have some of the expansions but don't have any of the below - are any worth pickup up during the sale?

Nemesis
Overlord
Galactic Paragons
Astral Planes

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Also just got back Into the game and I've abandoned so many starts just because I'm getting overwhelmed come mid game.

What settings are you guys playing on? I think 24 AI empires on the largest map is too much, there's just too much going on and too many plates to keep spinning.

Ive done well in my current game, but I'm going to restart again just due to making silly mistakes I'm not happy with and I got to that point where I drop reading and just start clicking stuff without paying attention.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

quote:

April 4​

Civics and Structures of The Machine Age and Auto-Modding​

Are they finally gonna make gene/robo modding less of a pain in the rear end?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Poil posted:

Is there a way to get rid of the awful constant message spam? It's bad enough that I'm getting endless requests for garbage treaties but I cannot give less of a gently caress about which two empires are now entering/breaking migration treaties or whatever. The game is so well programmed that disabling for example commercial pact spam between other empires also disables requests to me? How?!? EU4 manages it infinitely better and it's older and from the same company. Did paradox lose the ability to program that at some point? Does someone need to do an archaeology site in the archives of forgotten developer knowledge?

play the game properly, as a devouring swarm

cant get treaty spam if you cant form treaties

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Since there is a sale on, which is most fun of:
-Nemesis (espionage)?
-Overlord (orbital rings + hyper relays)?
-First Contact (cloaking)?

I'm leaning mostly towards overlard and least to nemesis but I'm not certain. Don't really have much interest in playing as a crisis.

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

play the game properly, as a devouring swarm

cant get treaty spam if you cant form treaties
I barely ever play gestalts, they're not as fun as regular empires to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Poil posted:

Since there is a sale on, which is most fun of:
-Nemesis (espionage)?
-Overlord (orbital rings + hyper relays)?
-First Contact (cloaking)?

I'm leaning mostly towards overlard and least to nemesis but I'm not certain. Don't really have much interest in playing as a crisis.

I barely ever play gestalts, they're not as fun as regular empires to me.

Espionage...can do a couple of interesting things but it's just bad.

Cloaking is much more useful but I wouldn't put it in the "fun" category.

Overlord adds a bunch of interesting origins and Hyper Relays are a must have no matter what you play.