Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Well I'm done with Rebirth. Got to Gongaga. Accidentally clicked reload from checkpoint instead of battle and now I just lost hours and hours of progress.

What loving clowns even have this built into the game? Who the gently caress chooses to undo hours of progress? Like I seriously need to redo the entirety of the Gongaga open world because of this poo poo.

Holy gently caress I have not been this pissed at a game in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I even have to do the loving chicken game all over again.

I would seriously use my PS5 to beat to death whatever dumbass developer put this in the game.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Mustang posted:

Well I'm done with Rebirth. Got to Gongaga. Accidentally clicked reload from checkpoint instead of battle and now I just lost hours and hours of progress.

What loving clowns even have this built into the game? Who the gently caress chooses to undo hours of progress? Like I seriously need to redo the entirety of the Gongaga open world because of this poo poo.

Can you load an auto save? I think I did it once but I can’t remember if an auto save or a manual save bailed me out

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

So that's what the HP>==<MP is for.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Can you load an auto save? I think I did it once but I can’t remember if an auto save or a manual save bailed me out

Holy poo poo I was able to recover.

Closed the game and restarted it and continue loaded me into my last battle.

God drat. Nearly lost like 4 or 5 hours of progress.

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006
The fact his skittering doesn't actually seem to be indicative of where to look definitely pissed me off further.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I was doubly annoyed with it because I’d just come off of a boss fight I hated and then all of a sudden I’m playing hide and seek. Worst part is I thought I was chasing him so when I saw him scamper around I’d try to chase to no avail, before I stumbled upon a triangle input icon

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I thought it was cute. I liked him trying to hide among the plushies

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mustang posted:

Holy poo poo I was able to recover.

Closed the game and restarted it and continue loaded me into my last battle.

God drat. Nearly lost like 4 or 5 hours of progress.

I learned to make manual saves ala OG FF7 very quickly because of this.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

wait is THAT why once every blue moon my console is fully turned off and my quick start progress is gone? I assumed I was having power outages while I was at work. drat.

That was the case for me, but it's super likely that's happened to you, too! I had no idea it'd happen until I turned on my console one day and it happily informed me it had updated and rebooted when I had the game idling. It'd be nice if there was a setting to allow auto-updates only if a game isn't running, but I have a feeling most people don't know how to close the game manually anyway.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Just beat the game.

Holy smokes. Unless Dragon's Dogma 2 or some games I can't remember that are coming out this year really knocks me on my rear end this game is my GOTY. I'm really excited for 3 and I didn't think I would be from a lurking fear I was having. Completely unfounded. The wait for game 3 is going to be worse than the wait for this one.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I just got the little cutscene with Rufus having the little meeting with his crew. Heidegger is perfect, the way they animating him throwing his head back when he laughs, Hojo is so perfectly a huge weird creep, I liked the detail that he was not at all scared of Rufus' dog. Palmer is weirdly one of the most accurately reproduced in 3D out of any of the characters.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Mustang posted:

Got to Gongaga. Accidentally clicked reload from checkpoint instead of battle and now I just lost hours and hours of progress.

I accidentally did the same and it kind of sounds like in the same spot (secret gym fight?)

I save after everything now and auto save… saved me.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
This game is so unbelievably charming :allears: I lost it when Elena shows up with a popsicle.

I really wasn't expecting FF7 Rebirth to be like, a comedy RPG. But it is and it rules. I dunno if I've played a game with such a fun balance of action and humor since like, the first three Metal Gear Solid games.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Do you have to win all of the mini games to get the plat?
I was on the fence about a hard mode run but if I've got to do tifas situps and run wild to get it, I am absolutely not going to invest any time into that.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

cubicle gangster posted:

Do you have to win all of the mini games to get the plat?
I was on the fence about a hard mode run but if I've got to do tifas situps and run wild to get it, I am absolutely not going to invest any time into that.

You do, even the hard mode protorelic minigames. One of the trophies is finishing off Johnny's collection and for that you gotta do pretty much everything in the game.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm at the point of no return and I want to know if we're expected to wait until after finishing the game to be able to kill some of the monsters, e.g. the pirate treasure ones, or if we're supposed to be able to tackle them now without much difficulty?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

redreader posted:

I'm at the point of no return and I want to know if we're expected to wait until after finishing the game to be able to kill some of the monsters, e.g. the pirate treasure ones, or if we're supposed to be able to tackle them now without much difficulty?

those critters are pretty easy to bring down even on dynamic. the ones that require a difficulty adjustment are part of the final protorelic quest - they're set at level 70 so if you want to beat them before the final stretch you'll need to set the difficulty to Easy, or Normal if you're feeling like a badass

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It’s one of the better mini games but there might be too many chocobo races

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I just started Chapter 9 and got to the town, this game so ungodly big. Yuffie has a lovely singing voice.

loving Cissnei and Zach's parents though, hell yeah.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Cephas posted:

This game is so unbelievably charming :allears: I lost it when Elena shows up with a popsicle.
I loved that moment. Rude is a good boss.

Cephas posted:

I really wasn't expecting FF7 Rebirth to be like, a comedy RPG. But it is and it rules. I dunno if I've played a game with such a fun balance of action and humor since like, the first three Metal Gear Solid games.
I'm very glad they kept the silly and funny moments. They were definitely part of what made the original memorable too.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

using radiant ward to get past reprisal is loving brilliant

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

God, this Loveless sequence is incredible.

Maybe Genesis was completely correct to base his entire personality on this clear masterpiece?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Anyone got any tips for doing the final protorelic challenge in Corel? Aerith's attacks are just so painfully slow and ineffective I'm seriously struggling to even get halfway to the amount of points I need.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Frankston posted:

Anyone got any tips for doing the final protorelic challenge in Corel? Aerith's attacks are just so painfully slow and ineffective I'm seriously struggling to even get halfway to the amount of points I need.

Sorcerous Storm the magic ones, just dodge towards the physical ones and whack 'em. Keep a Transcendence charging in your back pocket if you have it to blast the gigantaurs when they belly flop. If one of the light or dark cactaurs put up a manwall hitting them physically will make it drop.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cephas posted:

I didn’t either and I’m loving it but you should really play Yakuza Like a Dragon if you want a comedy JRPG with a surprisingly good dramatic story

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

this game has given me a lot of "lets loving GO" moments, but i'm not sure anything has topped (ch 12) seeing a sidequest pop up from the 7th infantry

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just realised I never saw any mention of hard mode giving triple exp and AP like the first game, did they change that?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

wait is THAT why once every blue moon my console is fully turned off and my quick start progress is gone? I assumed I was having power outages while I was at work. drat.

If you have a power outage your console will get big mad at you next time you turn it on.

If it’s not doing that then yeah it’s probably updates, and you can turn off automatic updates in the settings so it’s whatever.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, this entire second visit to the Saucer has been fantastic. Can't remember the last time i've played a game that's had me smiling so often.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Man, this entire second visit to the Saucer has been fantastic. Can't remember the last time i've played a game that's had me smiling so often.

Yeah I ultimately had a lot of fun with the game, I had some quibbles with a couple chapters or moments in chapters specifically but by and large the vast majority of the game had me genuinely really happy in a way most games don't even approach.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

using radiant ward to get past reprisal is loving brilliant

Some people make these encounters look so easy. I'm really impressed at how good people can get at games. Watching perfect boss runs in Nioh 2 are incredible and they also look amazing in-game. Wizards, these people!

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Yuffie and Barret interactions is so good. I love this game lol

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Mustang posted:

Yeah I can overlook some of the weird gameplay decisions as just quirks of the game, but it is honestly baffling that this made it through playtesting. Giving the players an ambiguous checkpoint button that could set them back hours, right next to the button they should actually be pressing, is so incredibly stupid. There is literally zero use for the return to checkpoint button in any situation ever. It’s just there to screw the players.

I am glad I ran into it in the grasslands and only lost like 15 mins of playtime, but I can see how later on when you’re spending hours between story beats how it could absolutely screw you. Square should patch this out asap.

Seph fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 17, 2024

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
who are you people leaving your console perpetually powered on with your games suspended

just save and shut down! with a fully powered off system, it takes like 15-20 seconds from hitting the PS button on your controller to being back in-game if you use the "continue" function

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Instant Grat posted:

who are you people leaving your console perpetually powered on with your games suspended

just save and shut down! with a fully powered off system, it takes like 15-20 seconds from hitting the PS button on your controller to being back in-game if you use the "continue" function

I do both. I leave it suspended but I save every time I stop playing (and at least once an hour or so) because why would you not?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

stev posted:

I do both. I leave it suspended but I save every time I stop playing (and at least once an hour or so) because why would you not?

because it's a waste of electricity and you don't really save any time doing it, was my point

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Sorry if this gets discussed all the time, but I’m mostly still trying to avoid the thread. Are later open world areas as annoying as Gongaga? Once I figured out what to look for it wasn’t so bad, but it still took me something like four hours to clear almost everything. The environments and art direction are great, but those mushrooms drove me nuts.

Also, are the charged up synergy skills just super busted? Especially the charged magic ones seem nuts — they do more damage than most atb abilities, build a full atb bar on two characters, are ranged, prevent stagger by most attacks, can hit multiple enemies fairly frequently and aren’t even that slow. Cloud standing in one place spamming spell blade ends most fights near instantly.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

None are nearly as insane as Gongaga.

Also yes, synergy skills and abilities are extremely powerful. Hence all the SP it takes to get them. The game expects you to use them, and they build both ATB and character affinity for the eventual Gold Saucer date. Use them.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Instant Grat posted:

because it's a waste of electricity and you don't really save any time doing it, was my point

It uses a negligible amount and can automatically download updates, why wouldn't I? Stop being the rest mode police nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Holy poo poo (Chapter 12 spoilers)Loveless was amazing. Are the roles different depending on your date? Yuffie was mine but I’m not sure if she’s always the princess or not.
Speaking of the date, on Hard mode getting the date you want might actually be kinda important since it affects your party for the Don fight. That said the Tonberries seemed like the only tough fight and they’d be trivial if you just make your party immune to instant death.