Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Gortash is fine. That's just how the bad guys look in these things.

Pull up some of the production art of one of the greatest and most insidious villains in gaming, Jon Irenicus, and report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Recommended YouTube summaries of general strategy and tactics?

I’m struggling to find something above the v basic level of guide videos (“hold alt to highlight items”) but below the extremely specific and spoiler-y build guide videos.

Like, I’m trying to find a video explaining things like how to determine when buffing/debugging outweighs damage, movement implications in combat, specific bonuses (ex/ how much extra damage from being higher up), etc.

Anybody know of good videos at that level of detail?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So I decided I'm never going to even attempt this game on Honor Mode, I'm too old for that type of investment. Decided to look around on Nexus Mods and found save files, had to fiddle with it a bit but got it to work, if anyone wants to be a dirty cheater like me -

1a - Turn off cloud sync for BG3 on Steam, then exit steam.
1. Go to %appdata%\local\Larian Studios
2. Rename your Baldur's Gate 3 directory to something like "old"
3. Load into BG3, it will be as if you've never played it.
4. Start an Honor Mode save.
5. Close the game, close Steam
6. Extract the save file (I used this one on nexusmods but I can link it in onedrive if anyone wants.
7. Copy the .lsv and .WebP files into %AppData%\Local\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3.honormodecheese\PlayerProfiles\Public\Savegames\Story\978d218c-3db9-5278-7593-0f7b28f009f9__HonourMode
8. Load back into BG3, load the save and talk to Withers. Watch cheevos pop and feel shame, shame, shame.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I really desperately wanted MORE ludicrous Jack Palance Outlaw of Gor style evil magician costumes like Kressa Bonedaughter there at the end of Act 2 (personal fav)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Playing on Honour Mode after completing a Tactician run has taught me that I'm better at this game than I thought and I was save scumming way too much for no good reason in my previous playthroughs.

Everyone hyped up the Honour Mode Owlbear fight omg there's two of them! and I managed to beat it at level 3 without anyone going down.

I have a feeling the end of Act II is still gonna kick my rear end though.

wizard2 posted:

I really desperately wanted MORE ludicrous Jack Palance Outlaw of Gor style evil magician costumes like Kressa Bonedaughter there at the end of Act 2 (personal fav)

It sucks that you can't take her hat.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Recommended YouTube summaries of general strategy and tactics?

I’m struggling to find something above the v basic level of guide videos (“hold alt to highlight items”) but below the extremely specific and spoiler-y build guide videos.

Like, I’m trying to find a video explaining things like how to determine when buffing/debugging outweighs damage, movement implications in combat, specific bonuses (ex/ how much extra damage from being higher up), etc.

Anybody know of good videos at that level of detail?

I guess just getting knowledge from this thread on learning which buffs/debuffs/utilities are good and which are bad, would be great :)

Any good wisdom on this topic?

Also is there a generally summary of the niches provided by the different classes? Like what’s the practical difference between a melee monk and a melee fighter? Both are melee dps right? Or a ranged warlock and a ranged sorcerer? Both are ranged dps?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

wizard2 posted:

Gortash is fine. That's just how the bad guys look in these things.

Pull up some of the production art of one of the greatest and most insidious villains in gaming, Jon Irenicus, and report back.

I refuse to look at the gimp elf, you can't make me

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

frankly i think it rules how gortash looks like your uncle trying to cosplay ardyn izunia

This is the exact comparison he always makes me think of

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's kind of a character design that's in right now. Every time I saw Barnabas from Final Fantasy 16 I had a moment of "Gortash is that you"

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Lol look at this mf

Bigby's Crushing Codpiece

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Mr. Lobe posted:

I refuse to look at the gimp elf, you can't make me

again, I think BG3 has a very outlandish plot on paper, and a lot of your choices barely hold together in the conclusion, but it made me realize that storytelling really is all about the delivery and execution

BG2 has a gimp elf but the gimp elf has Shakespearean Bombast

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Isn’t there a line in BG3 that points out how dumb it is to have an elf named “Jon Irenicus” or did I imagine that.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Medullah posted:

So I decided I'm never going to even attempt this game on Honor Mode, I'm too old for that type of investment. Decided to look around on Nexus Mods and found save files, had to fiddle with it a bit but got it to work, if anyone wants to be a dirty cheater like me -

1a - Turn off cloud sync for BG3 on Steam, then exit steam.
1. Go to %appdata%\local\Larian Studios
2. Rename your Baldur's Gate 3 directory to something like "old"
3. Load into BG3, it will be as if you've never played it.
4. Start an Honor Mode save.
5. Close the game, close Steam
6. Extract the save file (I used this one on nexusmods but I can link it in onedrive if anyone wants.
7. Copy the .lsv and .WebP files into %AppData%\Local\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3.honormodecheese\PlayerProfiles\Public\Savegames\Story\978d218c-3db9-5278-7593-0f7b28f009f9__HonourMode
8. Load back into BG3, load the save and talk to Withers. Watch cheevos pop and feel shame, shame, shame.

I'm not touching honor mode because the idea of getting one bad roll in a dialogue check leading to a fight where the enemy gets a bunch of crits in a row and thus invalidates 50+ hours of progress sucks rear end

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Listen man it wrecks my ✨immersion✨ to see the lead singer of Green Day in my fantasy RPG

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

EorayMel posted:

I'm not touching honor mode because the idea of getting one bad roll in a dialogue check leading to a fight where the enemy gets a bunch of crits in a row and thus invalidates 50+ hours of progress sucks rear end

there are infinity ways to prevent that, honor mode is honestly still too easy

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

watchoutitsabear posted:

Listen man it wrecks my ✨immersion✨ to see the lead singer of Green Day in my fantasy RPG

I mean, I would actually love an actual Fantasy RPG that's all Larry Elmore'd out where the barbarian lady's braid blows in the bitter wind, she is contemplating grief and loss for a future that will never came to pass, the stars were wrong, her now sullied blade offers no comfort, blah blah, shadows grow, but the funny part to me is that for all the outlandishness Baldur's Gate 3 has to offer it is wayyy more on brand to Baldur's Gate and The Forgotten Realms than not 🙃

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

EorayMel posted:

Saraiguma posted:

there are infinity ways to prevent that, honor mode is honestly still too easy

Maybe. But for me it's not worth the potential loss.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

never played with a monk before because I think they're a stupid class, so I only just found out they're ridiculous for iron throne. jumping without using bonus actions is crazy. Astarion basically opened every cell on his own and went all the way to Omeluum in turn 1, then came back down to loot the northwest section and jumped back to help dimension door stragglers and kill fishmen after omeluum's submarine port. easiest iron throne i've done despite doing honor mode and refraining from using haste this game.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
under the best circumstances, D&D Monk almost universally sucks unless you have a lot of good D&D Loot to supplement, and BG3 has the best D&D Loot

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Zodium posted:

never played with a monk before because I think they're a stupid class, so I only just found out they're ridiculous for iron throne. jumping without using bonus actions is crazy. Astarion basically opened every cell on his own and went all the way to Omeluum in turn 1, then came back down to loot the northwest section and jumped back to help dimension door stragglers and kill fishmen after omeluum's submarine port. easiest iron throne i've done despite doing honor mode and refraining from using haste this game.

Yeah I was slow trying out monk since it sounds kinda weird and isn’t on any of the default companions. But multiclassed with thief, the damage, mobility and utility (stun or prone or push while doing like 50 damage of various types? Several times per turn? Yes please) are insane. And everything recharges on short rest. And there is a bunch of sick gear designed for unarmed combat. I’m a huge monk stan now lol, they are so good in so many situations.

Never played one in tabletop. Wild to hear they are rear end there

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

it's not that I thought monks were bad, just stupid. and I still think monks are stupid, just not as stupid as the iron throne.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I usually like to make Karlach a Monk when she's not a TB Barb because her 1d4 soul coin buff hits twice on most attacks. And her "HIYAAA" battle cries are the best.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

exquisite tea posted:

I usually like to make Karlach a Monk when she's not a TB Barb because her 1d4 soul coin buff hits twice on most attacks. And her "HIYAAA" battle cries are the best.

She's got big miss piggy doing karate chops energy and I'm here for it

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The real answer is making Gale a berserker barbarian and Lae'Zel a college of lore bard

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Prop Wash posted:

Everyone says Dragonborn don’t have any advantages and that’s simply not true. They can eat the special tadpole and still look fairly normal!

My dragonborn ate the special tadpole at my party's request then immediately fired off a black hole and flew around. So the party wanted to reload then every was passing that tadpole to the left and they got pissed when they realized how terrible their characters looked afterward.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Having some fairly gross face veins is literally the only negative consequence for filling your brain with alien parasites and I can't believe how mopey some people get about it. Just take your free infinite flight and shut up.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Having some fairly gross face veins is literally the only negative consequence for filling your brain with alien parasites and I can't believe how mopey some people get about it. Just take your free infinite flight and shut up.

Don’t forget to savescum the githyanki healing machine so you can black hole and mind blast people as a bonus action too.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

no

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Emperor alt account spotted.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Medullah posted:

Emperor alt account spotted.

lol

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

The way people talked about it, I thought I was going to get Good Ending (Astral Tadpole Route) by the way it was talked up both in game and online but [spoilers]: your skin does end up clearing up! yay! only Illithidism is permanent, and not that big a deal, actually???? so much for not gazing long into the abyss

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

EorayMel posted:

The real answer is making Gale a berserker barbarian and Lae'Zel a college of lore bard
can you see into my game?

using mods to magic mirror companions is inspiring!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Goa Tse-tung posted:

can you see into my game?

using mods to magic mirror companions is inspiring!

Gale literally malding here over his Oneitis ex-gf 🤣

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

wizard2 posted:

The way people talked about it, I thought I was going to get Good Ending (Astral Tadpole Route) by the way it was talked up both in game and online but [spoilers]: your skin does end up clearing up! yay! only Illithidism is permanent, and not that big a deal, actually???? so much for not gazing long into the abyss

The couple of perma-illithids say it’s fine actually and even better than being a human. But I get intense cult/stockholm syndrome vibes off it.

But yeah all consequences of popping tadpoles like candy going away in the ending was weird

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

exquisite tea posted:

Isn’t there a line in BG3 that points out how dumb it is to have an elf named “Jon Irenicus” or did I imagine that.

I might have missed the line in BG3 but IIRC the explanation in BG2 was that his elf name was Jonaleth, but when he was stripped of his elf soul he took on a human appearance and subsequently a human name.

Maybe that’s still dumb?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Can a mind flayer eat devil or demon brains and if so does it turn them evil? Asking for a friend :zoid:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I guess just getting knowledge from this thread on learning which buffs/debuffs/utilities are good and which are bad, would be great :)

Any good wisdom on this topic?

Also is there a generally summary of the niches provided by the different classes? Like what’s the practical difference between a melee monk and a melee fighter? Both are melee dps right? Or a ranged warlock and a ranged sorcerer? Both are ranged dps?

You have:

Warriors - tanky, single target damage and control boys. Fighters, Paladins, Barbarians, Monks. Rangers too if built for it.
Skills Dudes - skill guys for sneaking around, disarming traps and picking locks, usually double as good archers since they have high dexterity. Rogues, Bards, Rangers.
Support - buffs, healing, controlling enemies. Clerics, Druids, Bards.
Mages - area damage and control. Wizards, Sorcerers, Warlocks, Druids

Party face/talky character can also be important. High charisma and social skills. Paladin, Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock.

In terms of which specific spells are good or not, the fun of the game is trying them all out to see. The main caveat here is that Shield and Counterspell are extremely important wizard spells that you won't find scrolls for, meaning you have to pick them on level up. Haste is massively powerful to the point that it's pretty busted.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Docjowles posted:

But yeah all consequences of popping tadpoles like candy going away in the ending was weird

It's especially weird given how the intro cinematic and much of Act 1 is set up to emphasize how alien brainworms are gross and invasive and very not good.

The game is so good with reactivity for the most part that the strange lack of negative consequences for this make it stand out quite a bit IMO

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Goons don't see becoming butt-ugly as a consequence of their own actions. Curious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I mean people in Faerun must be mega polite because you can spend like half the game looking like you're in a black metal band and nobody says a peep about it.