Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Jack Trades posted:

What was it?

Given that DD2 looks like more of a do-over than a traditional sequel, you might want to think twice before reading this. You've been warned.

Extremely huge DD1 spoilers that might end up being highly relevant for DD2, who fuckin' knows (rot13):
Gur gehr svany obff bs QQ jnf, rssrpgviryl, Tbq, naq lbh'er va yvar gb or uvf ercynprzrag. Vs lbh jrer cynlvat va bssyvar zbqr, jura lbh tbg gb gur svany obff va AT+ vg jnf lbhe cerivbhf znva punenpgre va gur ebyr. Vs lbh jrer bayvar vg'q enaqbzyl cvpx fbzr bgure bayvar cynlre'f Nevfra, VVEP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh, of course it's that. I should've figured it out myself.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
There’s a stream or two of early releases floating around. Be careful of spoilers out there for those concerned.

For those unconcerned with spoilers:
Looks real good.

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

Big Bidness posted:

Alright, Dragon of Dojima is ready for Dragon's Dogma. Now I have to spend 5 days making a Pawn, I guess.

haha I spent all morning making a Majima pawn!

Edit: Been working on the tattoos a bit more. Bummer about that gap on the shoulders but I did the best I could.

FART BOSS fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 17, 2024

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
watching someone stream it early and the pawns are basically constantly spouting inane dialogue, just with more variety than dd1

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
If anyone purchased a key on Humble Bundle, you might have your key now. I checked mine by happenstance and it was available. I didn't get an email for it. No preload currently so no rush.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lih posted:

watching someone stream it early and the pawns are basically constantly spouting inane dialogue, just with more variety than dd1

I'm looking forward to finding out whether or not goblins like fire (no spoilers please)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

lih posted:

Can they tell me what goblin ill like? I can never remember.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Can't wait for the day before release, when they put out a video where Itsuno explains how they hired a forester to bring in expertise for pawn reactions to trees.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Trees ill like fire

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

lih posted:

Hell yes, this is the only review I need

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Kevin Bacon posted:

Trees ill like fire

Some trees actually need fire to reproduce! -:eng101: but a pawn

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

lih posted:

Truly the best part of the game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

lih posted:

:sickos:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lih posted:

Normally this would be very annoying, like God of War Ragnarok levels of annoying, but DD1's pawn dialogue managed to somehow add a lot of charm and personality to the game.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

lih posted:

:kiss:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I can't decide if I want to play as the Arisen that looks like me or someone handsome.

Or a creepy witch, who looks sick as hell.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Never played the original Dragons Dogma, do the "basic" vocations get as cool as the more advanced/hybrid vocations seem to be? I think I'd like to play a fighter, but am wondering how interesting they'll be at higher levels.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Never played the original Dragons Dogma, do the "basic" vocations get as cool as the more advanced/hybrid vocations seem to be? I think I'd like to play a fighter, but am wondering how interesting they'll be at higher levels.

The aesthetics aren't as fancy but every class was viable all the way through the game in DD1, if you like playing sword and board or dual daggers I imagine it'll be much the same in DD2, especially as every weapon in unique to a class now.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So just to be clear, every time we've seen a video where the main character swaps from something like a staff to a longsword, that footage has always been of the Warfarer class?
In other words, are all the non-Warfarer classes restricted to their own weapon type, or can they use weapons outside their class but at a disadvantage or something?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

GreatGreen posted:

So just to be clear, every time we've seen a video where the main character swaps from something like a staff to a longsword, that footage has always been of the Warfarer class?
In other words, are all the non-Warfarer classes restricted to their own weapon type, or can they use weapons outside their class but at a disadvantage or something?

That seems to be the selling point for the vocation. in DD1 at least, vocations being bound to their weapons was an important part of the vocation's identity. That was part of what made the assassin so fun, being able to switch between sword, daggers, bows, and shields.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

No Dignity posted:

The aesthetics aren't as fancy but every class was viable all the way through the game in DD1, if you like playing sword and board or dual daggers I imagine it'll be much the same in DD2, especially as every weapon in unique to a class now.

And it should be mentioned that in the process of blowing up some DD1 Vocations they gave a lot of stuff to the default Vocations. Like some of the elemental shield moves that Mystic Knight was using in DD1 is just default Fighter now. There is by all accounts way more stuff to each Vocation than there used to be. If you just want to tank you could probably dip into some other Vocations for some upgrades and otherwise just stick Fighter. Likewise if you want to steal poo poo and be a sneaky dagger man that's Thief, and there's no-where to go from there that upgrades that. Evidently Mystic Archer gets some healing, but otherwise the only other way we know to do it is Mage. Sorcerer gets massive God-killing spells, but they lose basic buffs and healing. You could stay a really massive support player as Mage for the entire game.

Play what you think is fun, you are rolling 4 deep in a party. You can always grab some folks to cover for you. Most especially with your Main Pawn, who you have the most flexibility in upgrading. I will almost certainly go Warfarer to mess around with the most things [Sometimes I want to just pull out a giant sword and go sicko mode. Mostly I want to buff and heal. And hell, I'm sure I can find a third default move set that looks fun], which means my main pawn is probably going to live as a Fighter. Draw aggro and live as long as you can while I figure out what I want to do next, thanks! Having a bunch of other folks around gives me the flexibility to do that.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

Strider and Fighter were some of the most fun vocations in the original and you weren't holding yourself back in any way by sticking to them. They both got some cool poo poo that nobody else had access to. Mage, admittedly, was a little lame for a player character since it's the exact same class as Sorcerer except you lose the really crazy highest-tier offensive spells and just get a heal + status cure in return. Nice for pawns though.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 17, 2024

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cool, looking forward to playing a Fighter and going toe to toe with the big bads. Thanks thread!

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

it owns

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Also, this is not a game where you just play one class. You can, but you are severely limiting yourself. Some enemies or situations will be easy or difficult to deal with as a certain class, different classes have different augments that are useful for other classes, and as you progress through the game sometimes you will go a while without finding an upgrade for the class you're playing but find major upgrades for other classes.

Experimentation is a major part of the game. It goes out of its way not to hand hold you, and if you don't try new things you (and your pawn) will wind up with a knowledge gap.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Youtube constantly shoves this mediocrity's ugly face at me whenever I search for a game, now Capcom is getting in on the act. Wonderful.

asmongold reacts to megaman's jockstrap reacting to asmongold reacts to a uhhhh very normal thing idk

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
oppa dogma style

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
IMO one of the worst things DD1 did was make it so you could only use three skills per weapon/shield, so many good skills unused because of that limitation.

How is it in DD2, will we be able to use more or is it still limited?

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

Koorisch posted:

IMO one of the worst things DD1 did was make it so you could only use three skills per weapon/shield, so many good skills unused because of that limitation.

How is it in DD2, will we be able to use more or is it still limited?

You get 4 skills.

I believe that there are more core skills, and each class is more involved though.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
4 skills and a dedicated class button. For instance, the Warrior gets the Monster Hunter Greatsword hyper armor shoulderbash to let you avoid getting knocked out of charge moves as a default part of it's kit.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The 4 skills thing does really suck for Sorcerers though, 6 spells already felt restrictive and we have just as many now as we did in DD1. Plus the core skill isn't even another spell at all.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

apparently some leakers have already beat the game and are in NG+. anyone worried this game will be kinda short?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Can you spoiler tag stuff that's from supposed leaked versions, thanks

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

pmchem posted:

apparently some leakers have already beat the game and are in NG+. anyone worried this game will be kinda short?

None at all, what they do means nothing for regular players.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

The folks playing leaked versions are likely in a race against time attempting to get as many clicks and views as possible before capcom shuts them down. So they have likely been obsessively playing as quickly as possible and as long as possible.

So no, I have no worries based on leaked versions of a game none of us have otherwise never seen.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

pmchem posted:

Nah, a lot of people consume games like they're speed eating a meal

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

pmchem posted:

The first game was also fairly short if literally all you did was speed through the story as fast as you possibly could

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

pmchem posted:

You could beat the first game pretty quick too if you just rushed things. Like you *can* beat Elden Ring really fast. I put a hundred loving hours into that game real quick, and there was still a bunch of poo poo there I didn't touch. Would the fact that someone no-lifed the game in 15 hours just to say "I beat the game" have any impact on the amount of time I put into it? I'm not saying speed-runners are sub-human or anything.

A lot of them will admit to their mental problems though, and I won't stop them.

Besides, have you played the first game? Have you seen some of the quest conditions involved in not locking yourself out of like 1/3rd of the content in that game? Play fast and with no guide, the odds are of you loving up are infinitely high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
The reviewer leaker beelined through the main story and still took nearly 30 hours just to get to The Dragon so I don't think there's a huge need to worry about playtime