Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I think the only one that made me twitch was when I used to do the advertisements and the person in charge of that pronounced tsingtao beer as "tuh-sing-t'-ow" which was like, surely you could get closer just by trying to make it parsable with english noises.

I once knew a guy who pronounced it ‘T’sin-go’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Pretty much everyone in NI pronounces Lidl as lid-l because it fits better with our accents, even though the TV ads stress that it's Lee-dil.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Tsingtao is the old form for Qingtao, as the brewery was established by German colonialists some 120 years ago. There was also a local pidgin

quote:

Deutschland master in schipp make make bumm bam fisst.

quote:

The German masters (in their) ships make a lot of noise.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think I saw that DVD.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Pretty much everyone in NI pronounces Lidl as lid-l because it fits better with our accents, even though the TV ads stress that it's Lee-dil.
Wait it is? Everyone here does that too.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Everyone I know says Lid-l too.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah, that can’t be right. They even use a pun on “little” in their slogan

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yeah, both here in Peterborough and down with the rest of the family in the West Country it's just 'Lid-le'. I'm not sure I've ever seen or heard any adverts where it's pronounced 'Lee-dle'.

On that subject, I get a small amount of schadenfreude from 1) car adverts pointedly using their native pronunciations now the UK/English markets are increasingly a sideshow (hence why it's now 'Schkoda', 'Hyun-day' and 'Datch-a') and 2) How much piss this boils in certain quarters.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Angrymog posted:

Everyone I know says Lid-l too.

Everyone I know in Finland does, too. Well, either lid-l or nazi-mart, but you get the picture

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

BalloonFish posted:

car adverts pointedly using their native pronunciations now the UK/English markets are increasingly a sideshow (hence why it's now 'Schkoda', 'Hyun-day' and 'Datch-a')

I’d not thought on it before, but holy poo poo, that’s a fantastic insight.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Wait until you hear how the Irish pronounce “Peugot”

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
middle of lidl

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Lid-awls round here

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Matinee posted:

Yeah, that can’t be right. They even use a pun on “little” in their slogan

Just to confirm I'm not going mad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh8O7vSN08M

They even end with the pun, "Big on quality, lee-dil on price"

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Fair enough. Big vibes of this:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-mYoEpVXFbs

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
One lot of message boards I used to go on at the dawn of the interwebs, they had someone who called themself "Grammar Board Nazi" who would go round correcting everyone's grammar and punctuation.
Now I rarely bother unless Itz ONe Ov aRe OwN and I just want to p them off.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
These days someone calling themselves a grammar nazi would be more likely to be going around claiming that Jews invented semicolons to cause phrase mixing.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

One lot of message boards I used to go on at the dawn of the interwebs, they had someone who called themself "Grammar Board Nazi" who would go round correcting everyone's grammar and punctuation.
Now I rarely bother unless Itz ONe Ov aRe OwN and I just want to p them off.

SA used to be pretty unique in that you would get shot if you didn't do basic punctuation which was a godsend when in most other forums you tended to have a few very prolific posters who only communicated with incomprehensible word salad.

Not sure what caused a general improvement in grammar and punctuation on the Internet though as now even random reddit and comment section posts tend to be reasonably punctuated. Improvements in automatic spell checking?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The one that always surprised me was the 'correct' pronunciation of IKEA being ee-kay-ah.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Oh no what have I started :ohdear:

I was mostly joking about the 'erbs, I do find it amusing as an example of non-RP and American English being similar. Another one being the glottal stop as detailed in this SMBC comic which I started noticing in my US colleagues when they talk about "bu'ons" on our devices.

Mebh is right, I've stopped caring for the most part (hard to deprogram(me) yourself from being the kid that's "good at words"). The only ones that make me shudder still are the hypercorrect plurals I hear some Americans use - "process-eeez" and "bias-eeez". Presumably influenced by words like basis or crisis, but they're just normal plurals, stop it!

Also I like that "earthed" is a 2-syllable word for our Irish colleagues :)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

These days someone calling themselves a grammar nazi would be more likely to be going around claiming that Jews invented semicolons to cause phrase mixing.

Whereas we all know that semicolons are used when your grammar is half-arsed.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Mebh posted:

The one that always surprised me was the 'correct' pronunciation of IKEA being ee-kay-ah.

the correct pronunciation of "i" is [i], or maybe [i:]. that's pretty low on the surprisingness scale

same for the other letters, "ikea" is more or less [ikea] in every reasonable language

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobstar posted:

Oh no what have I started :ohdear:

I was mostly joking about the 'erbs, I do find it amusing as an example of non-RP and American English being similar. Another one being the glottal stop as detailed in this SMBC comic which I started noticing in my US colleagues when they talk about "bu'ons" on our devices.

Mebh is right, I've stopped caring for the most part (hard to deprogram(me) yourself from being the kid that's "good at words"). The only ones that make me shudder still are the hypercorrect plurals I hear some Americans use - "process-eeez" and "bias-eeez". Presumably influenced by words like basis or crisis, but they're just normal plurals, stop it!

Also I like that "earthed" is a 2-syllable word for our Irish colleagues :)

Cairo Arabic also has the glottal stop. I took a taxi one time & said I wanted to go to الدقي (Dokki), and the driver confirmed Do'i. (There are many other examples, coffee, قهوة (ahawa in Cairo), cat (قطة ) "ota" in Cairo - often when using this letter ق but always eg not in القاهرة which is Al Qahira (Cairo) ), I thought he was taking the p because I was from London then I realized he had no idea I was from London. Most Egyptians assumed I was German and tried out their best German on me if they knew any.

jaete posted:

the correct pronunciation of "i" is [i], or maybe [i:]. that's pretty low on the surprisingness scale

same for the other letters, "ikea" is more or less [ikea] in every reasonable language

This one is interesting because Americans say "Eye-raq" "Eye-ran" when we say I-raq with the "I" like the i in the middle of hit but then we go all American and say Eye-keeya instead of what would be most natural following our Iran Iraq pronunciation to say I-kaya which is halfway to Eekaya.
(Now I know why they invented the how to pronounce things alphabet whose name escapes me just now. Phonemes?)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 17, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
IPA, to annoy beer snobs.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
there's a whole podcast on this topic called the history of english

sadly, yanks aren't always wrong when they say their words are the "original" or "proper" english. the classic being the anglo-saxon "yard" rather than the norman french "garden". they're also the same word if you think about it, yard-en, from some older base

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Mebh posted:

When Nokia became one of my company's clients it was very odd to hear the American big wigs talking about winning No-key-a.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

shoulda told em to eat a yo-gurt about it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
My nan always said yard (and fall for autumn) so I think some of these changes are quite recent Hyacinth Bucketisms (as with herb, the hypercorrected haitch came from middle class herbalist ladies in the 20s during the first medicine from nature revival).

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

We all looked forward to the release of Morrowind Tribuneral

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And thinking on it I remember she did because she taught me the mnemonic "spring forward, fall back" for the clocks, so it must have been in regular colloquial use sometime in the late 1910s at least for that to make any sense, as we didn't have daylight savings before then.

(And I still call my back yard a yard, because calling the slabs, dirt, plantpots, and outhouse a garden would be an insult to gardeners :v:)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

smellmycheese posted:

Wait until you hear how the Irish Americans pronounce “Peugot” “Nissan”

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Liam Nissan

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

These videos doing Shakespeare as it would have been spoken used to really annoy one of my Hyacinth Bucket friends:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYiYd9RcK5M

Apparently we miss a lot of puns etc in Shakespeare by insisting on use of received pronunciation.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

And thinking on it I remember she did because she taught me the mnemonic "spring forward, fall back" for the clocks, so it must have been in regular colloquial use sometime in the late 1910s at least for that to make any sense, as we didn't have daylight savings before then.

(And I still call my back yard a yard, because calling the slabs, dirt, plantpots, and outhouse a garden would be an insult to gardeners :v:)

Fall meaning autumn is one of those old English words that travelled to the colonies and remained in use while falling out of favour here.

Growing up we a space out back which was some slabs, an unkempt patch of grass, dog kennel and bits of old brushes and poo poo slowly decaying. It was always the back yard.

The front of the house had a lawn with flower borders and a tree and was always called the front garden

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Rear Garden Boys was really popular in my youth

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I would use yard/garden variably based on what you're describing. The old terraces backing onto an alley have yards.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
It probably shouldn't but yards in my head are like paved or concrete or whatever.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Chubby Henparty posted:

We all looked forward to the release of Morrowind Tribuneral

This one is kind of funny because when I was about 11 and still had bit a of shaky understanding of English pronunciation, me and my cousin used to pronounce "Morrowind Tribunal" as "Morrohwhined Treebhunhal". Eventually my aunt corrected us because she couldn't stand it and that was that.

The logic behind the first was pronouncing it like "winding someone up", the rest was just mixing in Czech pronunciation.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 17, 2024

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It probably shouldn't but yards in my head are like paved or concrete or whatever.

Fred West school of gardening

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I would use yard/garden variably based on what you're describing. The old terraces backing onto an alley have yards.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

For the 1890s terrace I live on, each house has a concrete fenced area directly off the back, that the kitchen door opens onto - which I (and it seems everyone else) calls the 'yard'. This is where people store bikes, bins etc. and where there's an outdoor tap. Then there is a pathway that runs parallel to the terrace behind each yard, accessed by a gate from the yard of each house and by a tunnel that runs through the middle of each 'unit' of the terrace (four houses, and each side of the street has eight units). This pathway and tunnel goes by a huge variety of regional names - being from the south I call it an alley. But the Peterborough natives call the tunnel bit a 'cut' and the open path the 'jitty'. Whatever it is, on the other side of it from the yard is each house's fenced area with grass, flower beds and a vegetable patch, which is the garden.

There's also the walled-in area out the front between the front door and the gate onto the pavement, which both my partner and I call the 'front garden' even though it only has gravel, wheelie bins and some pot plants in. But other houses in the street have much more greenery in theirs.

E:
V V V V

Yeah, I remember that one too.

There was also this gem from the early days:

The moment he won the original leadership election there were people, in and outside of Labour, who were banging the "he's just not electable!" drum and then worked every second of the next four years to make sure that that was the case.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Coming in late for the Corbyn monstering chat, but the very first one I remember was 'Jeremy Corbyn wants gender segregation on trains', and you had to read right to the end of the story to find out the actual truth, is that a campaigner had approached him with the idea of female-only carriages to reduce sexual assault on trains as some other foreign countries do, and Corbyn said that if elected Labour would consider holding a consultation on the subject. I remember reading this baffled as everyone talked about the bullshit headline rather than the actuality of what happened and realising this was just how it was gonna be.