Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
or shoot yourself in the *dick (dick is a pointer to &rear end)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

complaining about pointers is a skill issue

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

All I'm saying is any language that lets you write to the 51st element of a 50 element array needs to be treated with caution and respect, like a seven-round revolver or a tablesaw without a sawstop.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I'm not a professional programmer, does this return an exception, try to write the entry and submits it to a void never to be seen again, crash the program, overwrite another vital piece of data?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

kw0134 posted:

I'm not a professional programmer, does this return an exception, try to write the entry and submits it to a void never to be seen again, crash the program, overwrite another vital piece of data?

In C/C++, there's not a whole lot of anything approaching rails in the language. You can absolutely write off the end of an array, clobbering other data, which may or may not have an effect, depending on what's in RAM directly after that array. That's why C++ is both 1) Powerful and good and 2) a dangerous weapon.

Specifically, a lot of bugs are introduced because of the historical and technological reasons that the last element of an array of 50 items is item 49.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Neito posted:

All I'm saying is any language that lets you write to the 51st element of a 50 element array needs to be treated with caution and respect, like a seven-round revolver or a tablesaw without a sawstop.

so don't do that. or use std::vector. or std::array if it's fixed size known at compile time.

what's it do when you try to do that in a managed language? throw an exception that doesn't get caught?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Neito posted:

Specifically, a lot of bugs are introduced because of the historical and technological reasons that the last element of an array of 50 items is item 49.

lua programmer spotted

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

more falafel please posted:

lua programmer spotted

Never actually used Lua, more of a Python guy, which I think a lot of people are going to say explains a lot.

more falafel please posted:

so don't do that. or use std::vector. or std::array if it's fixed size known at compile time.

what's it do when you try to do that in a managed language? throw an exception that doesn't get caught?

Yeah, you'd get an ArrayOutOfBounds exception in most languages.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying C or C++ are BAD. They're DANGEROUS. Knives aren't BAD, they're DANGEROUS, but also extremely useful and powerful. C and C++ are the same way.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Arrays are dangerous tools used too often for subversive purposes. You should need an array license else you must operate on well defined variables like a normal person.

Tables in code and volatile memory should be internationally banned.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

zedprime posted:

Arrays are dangerous tools used too often for subversive purposes. You should need an array license else you must operate on well defined variables like a normal person.

I didn't know a Goon created Pascal.

Neito fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 17, 2024

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

In case you're not a programmer: A less volatile language like C# (that won't let you shoot yourself in the proverbial dick) will typically run WAY slower due to the overhead necessary for the aforementioned "rails".

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

kw0134 posted:

The whole program becomes invalid. It is even allowed to do the wrong thing before the out-of-bounds write actually happens. (No, I’m not even going to try explaining. Look up "undefined behaviour" on YouTube if you really care.)

drk
Jan 16, 2005

BrewingTea posted:

In case you're not a programmer: A less volatile language like C# (that won't let you shoot yourself in the proverbial dick) will typically run WAY slower due to the overhead necessary for the aforementioned "rails".

Aren't languages like Go or Rust almost as fast as C(++), but memory safe?

(not a programmer, but i spend enough time online to absorb some of the concepts)

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

drk posted:

Aren't languages like Go or Rust almost as fast as C(++), but memory safe?

(not a programmer, but i spend enough time online to absorb some of the concepts)

Go can't really be used for the same things as C/C++. Rust can, but it's not easy to catch up to institutional knowledge, inertia, libraries etc that exist for C/C++, especially in heavily regulated industries.

Speed wise there isn't much difference between them, but it depends heavily on what you're doing with the languages. Lots of new languages now are just frontends for LLVM, which can perform similar levels of optimization that you'd see in C/C++.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

I’m having flashbacks from comp sci courses 20+ years ago where I had to program in C. The nightmare of seeing “Segmentation fault” when executing your program.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Buttcoin.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kw0134 posted:

A segmentation fault will happen at run time.
The language would allow you to write at unallocated space, but the os won't

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

HootTheOwl posted:

A segmentation fault will happen at run time.
The language would allow you to write at unallocated space, but the os won't

blockchain fixes this

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Neito posted:

Never actually used Lua, more of a Python guy, which I think a lot of people are going to say explains a lot.

Yeah, you'd get an ArrayOutOfBounds exception in most languages.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying C or C++ are BAD. They're DANGEROUS. Knives aren't BAD, they're DANGEROUS, but also extremely useful and powerful. C and C++ are the same way.

In c++ most container classes will throw a an index out of bounds exception but c++ arrays are just TxN ram where t is the type of object on the array and N is the number of objects in the array. Later languages use array more of a class.
Don't ask me to get deeper this is, ironically, the limit of my understanding

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Boxturret posted:

blockchain fixes this

It truly is special

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

In c++ most container classes will throw a an index out of bounds exception but c++ arrays are just TxN ram where t is the type of object on the array and N is the number of objects in the array. Later languages use array more of a class.
Don't ask me to get deeper this is, ironically, the limit of my understanding

Yeah, no, I know. :3 That's why Arrays are indexed at zero! array[n] just means *array+sizeof(contents)*n!

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
imagine a world where a coding error can send the contents of your bank account into the void

i can

welcome to the blockchain

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Wasn't there a nft or coin knock off that had all of the transaction functions public and also because the way these work is they have to execute some code so if you clicked on an nft it drained your wallet

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

HootTheOwl posted:

Wasn't there a nft or coin knock off that had all of the transaction functions public and also because the way these work is they have to execute some code so if you clicked on an nft it drained your wallet

all NFTs have all their functions public, that is how the "distributed computer" of ethereum can work

but no, that "I clicked an NFT and everything got drained" was a misunderstanding of two independent events: 1. grifters sending their free NFTs to large wallet holders to hype their own NFT collections (which is harmless and only clogs your NFT wallet with crap) and 2. someone else gained access to their ethereum wallet through other means, probably a bad password.

clicking a NFT does not execute any blockchain code, since the only place you can click an NFT is on one of the front-end marketplaces/trackers

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I thought there was something involving a "smart contract" where people did in fact get their wallets drained by clicking something. I don't know, though - the number of scams and rugpulls and frauds in the crypto space makes my memory a little hazy.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If I need performance and low overhead for, like, 3D stuff or whatever, I'll use C++. Otherwise I usually use C# because it really doesn't matter that my dinky little programs run less efficiently when they're doing poo poo that is done quicker than blinking anyway.

Now I'm trying to get the blockchain happening but so far all over managed is to drag my computer behind my truck on the highway (the block and chain in question) but it doesn't seem much better???

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I thought there was something involving a "smart contract" where people did in fact get their wallets drained by clicking something. I don't know, though - the number of scams and rugpulls and frauds in the crypto space makes my memory a little hazy.

One scam that kinda worked like this is that you are able to authorize certain accounts to manage your NFT on your behalf - that is how the auction sites and stuff work. So a scam would be to make it seem like you authorize an account to manage one NFT, while in reality you authorize it to manage another. Since most "smart contract" stuff is run through a javascript plugin called Metamask, there were tons of ways to fool people into clicking links they shouldn't have clicked. But clicking an NFT in your collection wouldn't trigger any of that code, it would just go to the summary page for that NFT.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Boxturret posted:

sounds like something someone that was Satoshi Nakamoto would say

I... am Satoshi Nakamoto.

:smug:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Holy poo poo it's Satoshi Nakamoto confirmed!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Bible posted:

I... am Satoshi Nakamoto.

:smug:

The real Satoshi Nakamoto was the friends we made along the way. :allears:

The Bible
May 8, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The real Satoshi Nakamoto was the friends we made along the way. :allears:

You will find that there is a little Satoshi Nakamoto inside each of us. .00000001 of him, to be precise.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

The Bible posted:

You will find that there is a little Satoshi Nakamoto inside each of us. .00000001 of him, to be precise.

one tooth of satoshi

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ymgve posted:

One scam that kinda worked like this is that you are able to authorize certain accounts to manage your NFT on your behalf - that is how the auction sites and stuff work. So a scam would be to make it seem like you authorize an account to manage one NFT, while in reality you authorize it to manage another. Since most "smart contract" stuff is run through a javascript plugin called Metamask, there were tons of ways to fool people into clicking links they shouldn't have clicked. But clicking an NFT in your collection wouldn't trigger any of that code, it would just go to the summary page for that NFT.

It's just phishing.
https://www.coindesk.com/consensus-magazine/2023/06/22/social-engineering-ice-phishing-and-more-how-scammers-can-drain-your-crypto-wallet/

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

feedmegin posted:

'Penny' isn't even what you lot chose, of course. That would be from the apparently asterisk worthy British:p

As a Brit I'm offended they used an asterisk to censor our name

They should have used more or just called us Nonceville

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wouldn't it be a simple matter for the real Satoshi to prove his identity because he alone can make transactions with the huge untouched pile of bitcoin he pre-mined.

Like why is that not the test: "ok if you're telling the truth, send one of Satoshi's bitcoins to a new wallet and back again"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Satoshi's dead. Crushed when one of the piles of bitcoins in his house collapsed. Happened nearly ten years ago, must be pretty skeletonised by now.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

VitalSigns posted:

Wouldn't it be a simple matter for the real Satoshi to prove his identity because he alone can make transactions with the huge untouched pile of bitcoin he pre-mined.

Like why is that not the test: "ok if you're telling the truth, send one of Satoshi's bitcoins to a new wallet and back again"

That is the test. In fact, you don't even need to send anything, you can cryptographically sign a message with one of the keys!

Craig Wrong claims he was hacked and lost the keys or some bullshit, lol.

eta: Actually some of the old addresses he claimed to own were used to anonymously sign a message calling him a liar during a previous court case.

https://www.coindesk.com/policy/2020/05/25/craig-wright-called-fraud-in-message-signed-with-bitcoin-addresses-he-claims-to-own/

Crust First fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 18, 2024

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Crust First posted:

Craig Wrong claims he was hacked and lost the keys or some bullshit, lol.

Oh right of course.

Yes, she's the real Princess Anastasia, she just forgot events that Anastasia would know, and forgot how to speak German... and Russian

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

quote:

He insisted that "identity" – say, that he’s Satoshi – cannot be proven by "possession" of the keys. "You don't prove by having identity through possession of something. You prove by knowledge. Who you are. What you create," Wright said.

When asked by COPA counsel Jonathan Hough to agree that producing "a signed message" as planned to prove he was Satoshi would not have posed a security risk of the private keys in question being figured out by others, Wright said: "The security risk is the security of my work, undermining the whole value of everything I've created. Not that the key will be taken."

lol

https://www.coindesk.com/policy/2024/02/13/craig-wright-blasts-experts-who-cant-verify-their-work-at-trial-over-satoshi-claims/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

He's right that Something You Have is not always a method of establishing identification, but it is a method of authenticating an identification :eng101:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 18, 2024