Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mr Newsman posted:

Looking to get a small monitor for under my main screen. Desk doesn't have space for another full size monitor unfortunately.

Basically a 15 in laptop or smaller w/a basic stand (at least tablet size) that I can easily connect to my PC and just have a web browser up on. Or a movie.

Got a lot of portable monitors popping up as options. Would be cool to have touch screen capabilities, but not sure how well that works in Windows with a non-touch screen main monitor.

Any suggestions? Price under 300 bucks would be preferable.

Saw an article touting the UPERFECT USteam G16 for 280 but have never heard of this company.

Portable monitors are kind of a minor hobby of mine, and I can tell you that when I was using an 11" touchscreen portable monitor as a secondary the touchscreen worked, but was oriented on the main monitor. That is, if I tried to touch something on the actual touchscreen monitor Windows instead registered it on the main monitor. I didn't put any time into troubleshooting this because I quickly found 11" too small for my purposes, and now use 16:10 15" non-touchscreen portable monitors as my secondary displays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

using an 11" touchscreen portable monitor as a secondary the touchscreen worked, but was oriented on the main monitor. That is, if I tried to touch something on the actual touchscreen monitor Windows instead registered it on the main monitor.

This is exactly the jankyness I was worried about! I ended up going with the cheaper, non touch, one linked above. Enjoying it quite a bit, sitting under my main 27" monitor.

Would love the touch option for just quickly scrolling a website on that monitor while my mouse is locked in a game or something but it's not a huge deal.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

In terms of colors and response times, the 34GN850 is actually quite good and would be a step up from the VG27AQ. It's from when LG's Nano IPS panels were achieving results beyond what any other IPS panel could do. The competition has caught up again, but they're still good panels. But yeah, I'd still consider some of the cheaper alternatives.

What are the 34" IPS 1440p cheaper alternatives (or at least bigger than 27")?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Portable monitors are kind of a minor hobby of mine, and I can tell you that when I was using an 11" touchscreen portable monitor as a secondary the touchscreen worked, but was oriented on the main monitor. That is, if I tried to touch something on the actual touchscreen monitor Windows instead registered it on the main monitor. I didn't put any time into troubleshooting this because I quickly found 11" too small for my purposes, and now use 16:10 15" non-touchscreen portable monitors as my secondary displays.
Perfect timing :) I was just looking at some portable monitors. Have you used larger 14 and 15" ones?

I don't really need one but I thought it could be neat and have several different uses: extra monitor for the desktop (in addition to the main 27" 144hz and older 23" 1080) when at home, (very rare) business trips, and "digital nomading" from hotels, camps, RVs, etc. I saw two interesting options so far:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006111326351.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006148869714.html

Theoretically the larger 4K screen would be more useful as it'd fit more information which is great for cramming more work stuff. But I'm not sure 15.6" 4k would be usable at 100%, and using scaling would defeat the purpose and cost like 80% for no reason. Don't really need touch.

E: poo poo the 14" is only 2160px wide that be a little too narrow. The 4K is the same PPI as my 2560x1600 10" laptop which is just barely usable with 125% scaling. Hmm.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 11, 2024

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

So speaking of UW, I just upgraded from a circa late-2015 1st generation Acer Predator X34 to a new OLED G9 and its fantastic for gaming and looks amazing. We will see how it holds up otherwise.

I wasn't sure when I ordered it but my poor amazon basics monitor arm works - but its at its limit and I had to tighten it to the point where it barely moves but it holds. If it was heavier or more curved I'd probably have needed to replace it.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Boozie posted:

What are the 34" IPS 1440p cheaper alternatives (or at least bigger than 27")?

These are the 34" IPS 1440p monitors I found when I was researching this last week.

LG - 34GN850-B
LG - 34GP83A-B
Dell - U3425WE
Gigabyte M34WQ
Asus - ROG XG349C

I think to get anything significantly cheaper than the LG you need to get a VA panel.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013

novamute posted:

These are the 34" IPS 1440p monitors I found when I was researching this last week.

LG - 34GN850-B
LG - 34GP83A-B
Dell - U3425WE
Gigabyte M34WQ
Asus - ROG XG349C

I think to get anything significantly cheaper than the LG you need to get a VA panel.

The only thing I've seen is LG 32GP850-B which is not ultrawide for $400 on amazon, but I don't notice any improvements over the LG 34GN850-B.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Big yikes, I bought an ASUS VG34VQL3A (34 inch curved ultrawide) and had to return it same day: two dead pixels and dust inside the screen.

I'd heard bad things about ASUS quality control but thought I'd get lucky...

What's the most reliable brand these days for an ultrawide gaming monitor? The Samsung Odyssey keeps popping up on search results...

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Boozie posted:

The only thing I've seen is LG 32GP850-B which is not ultrawide for $400 on amazon, but I don't notice any improvements over the LG 34GN850-B.

If you can actually get the 34gn850 for 500 dollars it's a decent deal

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ugh, just picked up a 60hz IPS monitor to run vertically and i underestimated how bad the jelly scrolling would be

might have to return it and get a gaming monitor just for the faster scanout

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

repiv posted:

ugh, just picked up a 60hz IPS monitor to run vertically and i underestimated how bad the jelly scrolling would be

might have to return it and get a gaming monitor just for the faster scanout

It feels like a basic high refresh gaming IPS panel monitors are barely more expensive than 60hz ones these days. I've also seen more productivity ones coming with 75hz or even 100hz although the branding starts to include gaming around there. I was using one Pixio 27" 165hz for my main display and a QNIX 60hz for the second one for a while but picked up another HP X27q when they were ~$180 for a secondary so they're both 165hz. I hadn't really noticed how dark the QNIX had gotten before.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i wanted 24" 1440p so the options were a bit constrained, but there are a handful of gaming monitors fitting that around so i'll probably get one of those instead

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Snagged a LG 34WP65C-B and I'm blown away! Perfect colors, refresh rate, everything is excellent. Going from a ~2017 1080p monitor to this is stunning.

And zero dead pixels, unlike the ASUS I bought & returned yesterday!

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I need to purchase a new monitor for the office. I've been using a 27" Dell 1440p but I want to upgrade to a 4K one. In the 30"-32" range I think.

What's the consensus on the best one for work use that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

It'll be connected to a Macbook pro and I'm UK based if that matters

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm the Scrooge of all Scrooges', and I umm and aah over every single penny I spend. Lately, I've decided that the computer is my happy place, I spend 90% of my time at my desk on the PC. So this is the one thing I allow myself to splurge on. After 5 years of having a 2k monitor, I want to upgrade to 4k.

I found the "GIGABYTE M32U 32 INCH 144HZ" for a reasonable price, is this a decent monitor or are there better? I primarily game. I used to watch a tonne of movies and shows but I've since stopped as I bought a TV so I feel guilt tripped into using that, but I realise I should never have bought a TV.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The M32U is a perfectly solid 4K IPS. It was a thread favorite for a while before OLED monitors made us lose our sanity and empty our wallets.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The M32U is a perfectly solid 4K IPS. It was a thread favorite for a while before OLED monitors made us lose our sanity and empty our wallets.

I'm trying to find an OLED 4K monitor but it's nigh impossible to find one in the Middle East. I've spotted one or two, but 1) they're sold out and 2) I'm not sure if I really want to drop $1,500 on a monitor.

What is everyone's OLED 4K monitor recommendations?

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007
If I plan on getting a 7800x3d AMD CPU with a 4070 should I be getting a 2k monitor or 4k? I would like the size of my monitor to be 32' inches but I don't know if those specs would support 4k very well and even if they mildly do and I had to downgrade to 2k on a 4k monitor would it look like rear end?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone seen this before? I'm on the latest Nvidia drivers, have an M32U where this is happening and a 1440p SDR monitor as a secondary. This happens when I play a game that uses HDR and then close it and go pull up youtube or similar, it feels like the colorspace gets compressed or something, the saturation and contrast *only in the video* gets all hosed up. If I click another tab then click back it's normal for a split second before getting bad again. Here's a screenshot of that split second 'normal' and then what it goes into:

first:

after:

It's not a great look for Steve but yeah what the heck? Again, it's only the video that does this, the rest of the browser, desktop, etc are all as expected.

e: anyone need an av?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Pooperscooper posted:

If I plan on getting a 7800x3d AMD CPU with a 4070 should I be getting a 2k monitor or 4k? I would like the size of my monitor to be 32' inches but I don't know if those specs would support 4k very well and even if they mildly do and I had to downgrade to 2k on a 4k monitor would it look like rear end?

If you need as close to 144hz+ as possible all the time for your games a 2k monitor would be the way to go.

If you're fine with 60hz or less on modern games that are hardware intensive and care more about the ppi for the size then 4k.

I use a 2k 144hz 32" monitor myself, with a viewing distance of ~30", and I think it looks fine but ymmv.

A 2k 32" monitor PPI would be around a 24" 1080p monitor FWIW.

https://www.displayninja.com/what-is-pixel-density/

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If you need as close to 144hz+ as possible all the time for your games a 2k monitor would be the way to go.

If you're fine with 60hz or less on modern games that are hardware intensive and care more about the ppi for the size then 4k.

I use a 2k 144hz 32" monitor myself, with a viewing distance of ~30", and I think it looks fine but ymmv.

A 2k 32" monitor PPI would be around a 24" 1080p monitor FWIW.

https://www.displayninja.com/what-is-pixel-density/

Is there a typical good recommendation for 2k 144hz 32" monitors? I'm okay with 60 FPS as long as it's steady and doesn't jump around.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I don't keep up enough on which exact monitor is the best right now.

Maybe someone else in thread will know. I'm assuming it'll be something OLED or a really good IPS micro LED monitor.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I don't keep up enough on which exact monitor is the best right now.

Maybe someone else in thread will know. I'm assuming it'll be something OLED or a really good IPS micro LED monitor.

OLED
Alienware AW2725DF -27" 360hz 1440P
Alienware AW3225QF - 32" 240hz 4k

Those just got released this year and are prolly considered the best monitor to buy spec wise but theyre loving expensive.

For a budget mini led:
AOC Q27G3XMN- 27" 180hz 1440P Mini LED with HDR 1000 is a solid deal at $280.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Pooperscooper posted:

Is there a typical good recommendation for 2k 144hz 32" monitors? I'm okay with 60 FPS as long as it's steady and doesn't jump around.

I am insanely satisfied with my M32Q, but i got it for ~320 eur and new ones are 500 now lol

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they've discontinued the amazonbasics arm which was just a rebranded ergotron for half the price :negative:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Man are there any 1440p +120Hz OLED HDR monitors that don’t look insufferably cringe?

It’s bad enough with video cards but I just stick those in my unlit, windowless case. The few of the monitors I’m looking for have back panel lighting, cringe stands, and even one of them lights some dumb silly pattern onto the desk itself.

My Dell S2716DG from 2017 fit the bill perfectly as a professional looking monitor.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Mount the monitor on an arm and turn the lighting off on the back of the monitor, op :shrug:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gr95qe-b

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The Alienware I got allows you not only to turn off the back lighting, but also the power button light, in all functions. It's great.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Turning off the power LED on my HP X27q's doesn't always work properly. If I had known this during the warranty period I might have exchanged them. My computer is in my bedroom and I just let my computer sleep when I go to bed. :negative:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 17, 2024

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Perfect timing :) I was just looking at some portable monitors. Have you used larger 14 and 15" ones?

I don't really need one but I thought it could be neat and have several different uses: extra monitor for the desktop (in addition to the main 27" 144hz and older 23" 1080) when at home, (very rare) business trips, and "digital nomading" from hotels, camps, RVs, etc. I saw two interesting options so far:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006111326351.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006148869714.html

Theoretically the larger 4K screen would be more useful as it'd fit more information which is great for cramming more work stuff. But I'm not sure 15.6" 4k would be usable at 100%, and using scaling would defeat the purpose and cost like 80% for no reason. Don't really need touch.

E: poo poo the 14" is only 2160px wide that be a little too narrow. The 4K is the same PPI as my 2560x1600 10" laptop which is just barely usable with 125% scaling. Hmm.

Sorry for the late reply - it's been a hell week for me.

I pretty much stick to 1080p equivalent resolution on my portables, as at the screen sizes involved going higher than that just doesn't seem worth it to me. Even at that resolution I often need to upscale the output, otherwise text is just absurdly small. I've had good luck with the weird Chinese brands, landing on ZEUSLAP as a kind of default preference. My CORPRIT portable was okay but I was dumb and damaged it by not realizing the VESA mounting holes didn't have a backstop on them and drat near drove the screws right through the monitor.

My default travel monitor is a Viewsonic 15.6" 1080p, and it is slightly better-built than my off-brand monitors, and has a built-in stand which is handy (if also a bit finicky).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Turning off the power LED on my HP X27q's doesn't always work properly. If I had known this during the warranty period I might have exchanged them. My computer is in my bedroom and I just let my computer sleep when I go to bed. :negative:

just put some black electrical tape over the LED, it's flexible enough that you can still press the button if it's integrated with the light

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

buglord posted:

Man are there any 1440p +120Hz OLED HDR monitors that don’t look insufferably cringe?

It’s bad enough with video cards but I just stick those in my unlit, windowless case. The few of the monitors I’m looking for have back panel lighting, cringe stands, and even one of them lights some dumb silly pattern onto the desk itself.

My Dell S2716DG from 2017 fit the bill perfectly as a professional looking monitor.

I'm kind of surprised this is still a thing. Or are teenagers able to afford $3,000 gaming PCs and I'm just not with it?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

wash bucket posted:

I'm kind of surprised this is still a thing. Or are teenagers able to afford $3,000 gaming PCs and I'm just not with it?

A lot of nerdy teens grew up into tech workers with no taste and a lot of money...

Personally I love my govee lights that I have attached to the back of the monitor to throw relaxing changing light colors onto the wall behind my desk.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Rusty posted:

The Alienware I got allows you not only to turn off the back lighting, but also the power button light, in all functions. It's great.

Branch Nvidian posted:

Mount the monitor on an arm and turn the lighting off on the back of the monitor, op :shrug:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gr95qe-b

ah good to know. I cynically thought that this was like my previous GPU where the RGB was generously included, but putting a 3 cent physical switch on the card was a costly bridge too far.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

buglord posted:

Why would a serious adult who does serious adult things need a nice monitor for? Ridiculous.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Maybe I'm just too gamer brained, but I don't think the forked-feet look of the LG Ultra Gear monitors are too unprofessional looking. The RGB rear lighting absolutely is, but the stand itself seems perfectly reasonable. Of course I'm also using a jumbo-sized 45" monster monitor, so maybe my perception of what is and isn't professional looking is skewed.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah, I have an LG 27GR95UM with the forked feet stand, and in person it's fine and doesn't scream "gamer monitor". The far bigger crime with regard to the stand is the really lovely pivot functionality, at least on mine, since the ball part of the stand that is meant to help it pivot, is pretty firm and you think you're going to break it in doing so.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

buglord posted:

ah good to know. I cynically thought that this was like my previous GPU where the RGB was generously included, but putting a 3 cent physical switch on the card was a costly bridge too far.

It's not the 3 cent switch it's the thousands of support calls for "non functioning RGB"

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I'm very happy with my Dell G3223Q so far. I have noticed:

A) NVIDIA drivers are fairly annoying with non-GSYNC-certified displays.
B) The UHD/10bit color stuff is really confusing in terms of what needs to be set on the monitor and what needs to be set in windows or linux and where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

A lot of nerdy teens grew up into tech workers with no taste and a lot of money...

Personally I love my govee lights that I have attached to the back of the monitor to throw relaxing changing light colors onto the wall behind my desk.

Woah :black101: