Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there's two more whizbang packs as twitch drops for another several hours now btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I played a bunch yesterday and think they were all against keyboard smash names, like not even google generate an id for me, just gibberish

Also cool of the twitch thing to last a single twenty four hours

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
This week's "brawl" might be the laziest one ever.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This week's "brawl" might be the laziest one ever.

as someone that hates having to create specific decks just for that weeks brawl game or two for the pack (I typically just skip them altogether) I'll take the lazy ones for a quick pack so I can go back to playing modes I enjoy instead lol

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Orange Carlisle posted:

as someone that hates having to create specific decks just for that weeks brawl game or two for the pack (I typically just skip them altogether) I'll take the lazy ones for a quick pack so I can go back to playing modes I enjoy instead lol

this

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It does count as a completed game each time you "win," at least.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

all the cards count as 0-cost "spells" (without a school) played for quest purposes as well

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I liked it a lot more than something like Webspinners.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
As a test, played five games back to back. Four of them were ColourNoun, two of them on some incredibly basic free token Druid, one Mech Rogue and one something else I’ve purged from memory.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
today i've learned that if you give a titan windfury it can in fact use two of its abilities

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

flatluigi posted:

today i've learned that if you give a titan windfury it can in fact use two of its abilities

if you somehow give a titan mega-windfury it can use all 3 of its abilities and then attack (they have an implicit "Charge" too)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
so new Whizbang looks ridiculously fun

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Julio Cruz posted:

so new Whizbang looks ridiculously fun

Yeah I watched Rarran's video on it this morning and most of the decks look great.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Always stoked when I match up with someone else doing the Noz quest. This is the speed Hearthstone should always be. Plus I got to kill him with my golden Noz, your one time a year to shine baby!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

gonna be enjoying the last weekend of the cycle with Reno Hunter, now that the deck can actually close out games again

### Renothal Hunter
# Class: Hunter
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Wolf
#
# 1x (1) Awakening Tremors
# 1x (1) Costumed Singer
# 1x (1) Miracle Salesman
# 1x (1) Scourge Tamer
# 1x (1) Sir Finley, Sea Guide
# 1x (1) Tracking
# 1x (1) Trinket Tracker
# 1x (2) Astalor Bloodsworn
# 1x (2) Conjured Arrow
# 1x (2) Gold Panner
# 1x (2) Greedy Partner
# 1x (2) Hidden Meaning
# 1x (2) Instrument Tech
# 1x (2) Selective Breeder
# 1x (2) Spirit Poacher
# 1x (2) Titanforged Traps
# 1x (2) Wandering Monster
# 1x (3) Harpoon Gun
# 1x (3) Prince Renathal
# 1x (3) Wild Spirits
# 1x (4) Blademaster Okani
# 1x (4) Camouflage Mount
# 1x (4) E.T.C., Band Manager
# 1x (3) Smothering Starfish
# 1x (5) Star Power
# 1x (7) Faithful Companions
# 1x (4) Pozzik, Audio Engineer
# 1x (4) School Teacher
# 1x (4) Theldurin the Lost
# 1x (5) Ara'lon
# 1x (5) Star Power
# 1x (6) Aggramar, the Avenger
# 1x (6) Hollow Hound
# 1x (6) Hope of Quel'Thalas
# 1x (6) Mister Mukla
# 1x (7) Faithful Companions
# 1x (7) Hydralodon
# 1x (7) Lor'themar Theron
# 1x (7) Prison of Yogg-Saron
# 1x (8) Reno, Lone Ranger
# 1x (8) Stranglethorn Heart
# 1x (9) King Krush
# 1x (9) Yogg-Saron, Unleashed
#
AAECAbv5Ayjq6QOpnwThnwTlsATHsgSWtwTnuQSDyATM5ATQ5ATT5ASX7wSnkAWykgWwkwXvogWqpAWupAXipAX9xAW4xQX0yAXqygWP5AXo6AXf7QXq8gXz8gXI9gXT+AX++AXX+QWQgwaFjgbOjgbUjgaplQbOnAatngavqAYAAAEDjbUE/cQFrqQF/cQF8/IF/cQFAAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

So many unnerfed cards getting a final hurrah

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I like the Renathal 40 meta so much better. Sad that this card was nerfed.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Oenis posted:

I like the Renathal 40 meta so much better. Sad that this card was nerfed.

:same:

It did warp the meta but IMO it was for the better. After the nerf it was almost never worth running.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I’m so loving tired of these stupid rogue bots and I am even more tired of losing to them.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

do we have a HS discord?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

omg chael crash posted:

do we have a HS discord?

If there is any interest I will set up an extremely barebones SA HS discord. I feel like last time this came up folks weren’t interested but I’d love a more casual place to talk to goons about HS. Every other HS discord on the internet is insufferable for various reasons.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I think? I might be like super banned from Discord? For ??? reasons? If someone sets one up i'll try for like the 5th time to make an account. I had one but they will not let me back on with it. Maybe it got stolen or something.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Sandwolf posted:

If there is any interest I will set up an extremely barebones SA HS discord. I feel like last time this came up folks weren’t interested but I’d love a more casual place to talk to goons about HS. Every other HS discord on the internet is insufferable for various reasons.

i would be interested, at least.

now that i think about it, i believe that i asked this same question a few years ago in an older thread lol

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

should i spend all of my banked gold(2kish come launch day) on the new expansion packs? i haven't played much the last few years so my collection is pretty out of date -- not sure what the best option is for non-wild play

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Alright, here’s an extremely barebones discord if anyone wants to join: https://discord.gg/rZcw9a6C

If there gets sufficient population I’ll add more bells and whistles.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

omg chael crash posted:

should i spend all of my banked gold(2kish come launch day) on the new expansion packs? i haven't played much the last few years so my collection is pretty out of date -- not sure what the best option is for non-wild play

i'd maybe wait until the expansion drops/rotation happens and then buy a bunch of standard packs

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Agreed, hold til the rotation and get Standard packs. Thanks to the power creep Standard Packs are worth more than Wild packs at the same Gold cost.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

omg chael crash posted:

Until you at the very least have all the rares and commons and then usually I’d just spend it all. Used to be a time where it was optimal and fun to get your packs via the arena but I’ve not bothered with that method for a long time. A month or two into the expansion you want to start hoarding gold again to have 2k ready for the miniset.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I assume the catch up packs are pay only ? They’d be a good answer otherwise

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

kater posted:

I assume the catch up packs are pay only ? They’d be a good answer otherwise

This is the standard thread advice and I assume it's still solid:

bravesword posted:

Here’s your thrice-annual reminder to finish all your quests today and then not play again until Tuesday, after the expansion launches. This will give you a full suite of quests for the new reward track, allowing you to gain 15-20 levels right away.

Additionally, assuming you’re looking to maximize the number of cards you get from the new expansion, here’s your optimal pack-opening order:

1) Catch-up packs
2) Class packs
3) Golden Standard packs
4) Regular Standard packs
5) Golden Showdown in the Badlands packs
6) Regular Showdown in the Badlands packs
7) Claim any reward track prizes

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Specifically, that’s the order if you already have most of what you want from the existing sets and want to maximize the number of cards from the new set you get. If you’ve got a lot of holes in your collection and just want the most unique cards overall, open your Whizbang’s Workshop packs right after the catch up packs.

Another programming note is that as the first set of the year, this one comes with a Core Set rotation. If you play Wild and want to retain access to any cards that are rotating, you’ll need a “real” copy from the original printing. This is important this year because several notable cards are rotating that have only ever been printed in Core Sets (specifically Selective Breeder, Aegwynn, the Guardian, Alexstrasza the Life-Binder, and a bunch of Death Knight cards), so if any of those interest you long-term, you’ll have to craft them. So don’t blow all your dust on new cards if any of your Wild decks need Selective Breeder or Patchwerk.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
It's Turn 6.

My Warrior opponent has yet to play a Minion, but has cleared the board each turn, and now sits at 28 health, 25 armour. Why even bother?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Shockeh posted:

It's Turn 6.

My Warrior opponent has yet to play a Minion, but has cleared the board each turn, and now sits at 28 health, 25 armour. Why even bother?

it's a bit of a truism across card games that if you're in a matchup versus a control deck and you genuinely don't think your deck has any way to actually beat them, it's likely the right choice to concede and move to the next game (and then see if there's things you can change about your deck to give you that reach in a bad matchup)

people get into their heads and feelings about "well they haven't ACTUALLY won, they've just locked me out of ever winning so i'm going to play out the next fifteen minutes of the game out of spite" but i've always thought that's fairly unhealthy. control is a valid archetype!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I like to make people play out long games because it's good exp and i can use that time to do chores, play with my cat, etc. It's a draw or a win eventually. Games end at 90 turns I think?

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
Upper diamond ranks are absolutely infested with mech rogue bots. It's awful. At least legend should be relatively easy to hit this month.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
DK bots too. I don’t understand how it got this bad so quickly, I’ve never had issues with bots until this month

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the spell dh list that was posted a while back absolutely farms the mech rogue and dk bots if you just want an easy legend before Tuesday throws the meta out the window

fanny packrat posted:

Spell DH is very fun right now. Play Jotun, go face. Hope mages and rogues don't generate a thousand objections.

### jotun spell
# Class: Demon Hunter
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Wolf
#
# 2x (0) Dispose of Evidence
# 2x (1) Burning Heart
# 2x (1) Illidari Studies
# 2x (1) Taste of Chaos
# 2x (1) Unleash Fel
# 2x (2) Chaos Strike
# 2x (2) Mark of Scorn
# 1x (2) Quick Pick
# 1x (3) Silvermoon Arcanist
# 2x (3) Weight of the World
# 2x (4) Fan the Hammer
# 2x (4) Fel'dorei Warband
# 1x (4) Going Down Swinging
# 1x (4) Ignis, the Eternal Flame
# 1x (4) Souleater's Scythe
# 2x (5) Deal with a Devil
# 1x (5) Jotun, the Eternal
# 2x (5) Momentum
#
AAECAZWrBAaVkgWdpAX3wwXG+QXYgQbungYMtp8EpeIEhpIFiZIFi5IFkJIFsvUF4fgFxfkFpIEGipAG6Z4GAAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

flatluigi posted:

it's a bit of a truism across card games that if you're in a matchup versus a control deck and you genuinely don't think your deck has any way to actually beat them, it's likely the right choice to concede and move to the next game (and then see if there's things you can change about your deck to give you that reach in a bad matchup)

people get into their heads and feelings about "well they haven't ACTUALLY won, they've just locked me out of ever winning so i'm going to play out the next fifteen minutes of the game out of spite" but i've always thought that's fairly unhealthy. control is a valid archetype!

The question I run into more often is "do I roll the dice on my 40% odds as Control Priest to eke out a win against gently caress You Warrior, when I know that win or lose it'll take 20 turns to decide".

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I feel like it should be pretty obvious at a certain point if you're ahead enough that you'll get that win, since you need a lot of stuff going for you from the jump

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
anyone have any interesting brews for when the patch hits tomorrow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I'm intrigued by Li'Na demon hunter, utilizing Red Card to double up Li'Na effect (turn 7 li'na+red card; two turns later she comes back and you unload the biggest spell you have). I'm gonna try a build that goes in on her and the 5 drop Miniaturize demon

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 18, 2024