Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Interestingly, Langley, VA, is where the CIA is headquartered today.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"...the simplest of all!"

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

I think it's pretty cool that Luann knows Spanish.

Flash Gordon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

“It looks so good, that hunk of Spam right out of the can, and a clump of grass on the side!”

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Murdstone posted:

Interestingly, Langley, VA, is where the CIA is headquartered today.

Langley VA is in the DC area and has the CIA HQ.
Langley Field, however, is in the Hampton Roads area and also has a NASA Research Center.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I still can't believe we're supposed to be impressed by the Phantom pulling a bad dating trick from a sitcom. Ah yes, here's a stack of sophisticated books I read in my free time in my bedroom, next to my pack of monster condoms for my magnum dong.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alhazred posted:

I think you're reading way too much into this;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_X

Given there's no note about Mr. X when he chose to explain references to White Castle and popular TV shows, this is probably right.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Temp Phantom artist barrels the camera far too often and it really accentuates their long thin face problem.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Stultus Maximus posted:

Langley VA is in the DC area and has the CIA HQ.
Langley Field, however, is in the Hampton Roads area and also has a NASA Research Center.
Well how about that? Thanks!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Samovar posted:

Sorry, internet issues got in the way of yesterday, so have a longer-than usual post

I just want to point out that since there's no need to keep up with the update schedule (like with ongoing series), posting larger updates isn't necessary and can be a bit intimidating as a reader when I'm doing casual browsing and get hit with a huge text dump.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

quote:

And that’s the end of this little chapter! Unfortunately, I squandered the time I bought by getting these done quickly so my translation backlog is only a couple days long, but I’ll do my best.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
what's going on with the super saturated, garish neon coloring in strips lately??

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Rex Morgan MD

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Popeye

they all seem to have the same purple and green hue??

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

riderchop posted:

what's going on with the super saturated, garish neon coloring in strips lately??

In at least one case, USA Today went in a different direction.

Sally Forth Minus One/Minus Color

An odd choice, but it would've really fit the SAD strips.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

riderchop posted:

This came up with the colouring on modern Prince Valiant, and it seems like it looks much better when actually seen in print, but without that it looks, well, super saturated and garish.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Green Intern posted:

Are we gearing up to this guy falling down and breaking something else in the middle of the convention?

It's Rex Morgan, we're gearing up for the same thing as always: A fat lot of nothing that still takes weeks.

Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Did you really have to write the name onto the sword?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

riderchop posted:

In my case, I've had to grab Curtis from Arcamax since the Comics Kingdom change, and Arcamax looks like that sometimes for reasons I don't know.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I sometimes have to get Rhymes with Orange from Arcamax when Comics Kingdom is being a pain in the rear end, and Arcamax always seems to have gaudier colors.

Pogo 7/27/52

Archie 11/14-16/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 4/18-20/77

Special appearance by Charlotte Grote's grandmother?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Vera Valiant says ACAB

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Technowolf posted:

Vera Valiant says ACAB

It's L, not C.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

Cul de Sac

One thing I always really liked about Cul de Sac in comparison to other comics is that Alice is sometimes naughty. It's not because she's a menace, or a bad seed, or a spoiled little poo poo, or selfish and evil forever, or a burden on society and her parents. It's because she's four and she's still learning about how the world and socializing and empathy work. The adults, when they get involved, recognize this and are firm with her while still being loving and without applying labels or acting like she has some big character defect. It's kind of sad that that's rare in newspaper comics, but here we are.

Jesus f'n Christ.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

She's four, you idiots. Lighten up.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Conan: The Blood Egg Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Was there ever a better team-up than this? You know there wasn’t. The visual joy of Lottie and any big hunk forming a fighting unit is powder I keep dry for special occasions like this.

Lottie previously formed a "fighting unit" with Rev. Penrose in 2021's Author Unknown story.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Julet Esqu posted:

One thing I always really liked about Cul de Sac in comparison to other comics is that Alice is sometimes naughty. It's not because she's a menace, or a bad seed, or a spoiled little poo poo, or selfish and evil forever, or a burden on society and her parents. It's because she's four and she's still learning about how the world and socializing and empathy work. The adults, when they get involved, recognize this and are firm with her while still being loving and without applying labels or acting like she has some big character defect. It's kind of sad that that's rare in newspaper comics, but here we are.

Admittedly I remember Richard Thompson commenting somewhere that most comic strips have a bully character, and in Cul de Sac's case it's Alice. Still your right about how this part of her is because she's four and the adults around do manage to be firm but gentle when they need to correct her.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (October 21-25, 2005)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's the Saint Patrick's Day edition of A Sketchy Life! Perfectly timed, too! (March 15, 1928) Our cover is a Fred G. Cooper special, with at least one more thematically-related fgc doodle on the inside.

Harry Haenigsen:

A double dip of Don Herold:

One of the ones that I can't decipher:

J. Norman Lynd gets a centerfold:

LJ Holton:

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

EasyEW posted:

One of the ones that I can't decipher:

I get the reference to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrs._O%27Leary%27s_Cow

Possibly mixed with some old Marlboro ad campaign?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Taking a glance at the Marlboro wikipedia page, I didn't know the brand went back that far, and it was marketed as a "lady's brand" back in the 1920s. That's really ironic considering how much they tripped over themselves to associate smoking with "manly man" cowboys a few decades after that.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

She's four, you idiots. Lighten up.

I've seen people in the Wallace section that insist Wallace is a terrible friend and that the Amelia/Spud dynamic is an example of the ongoing anti-male agenda of mass media, I don't get people.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

LvK posted:

I've seen people in the Wallace section that insist Wallace is a terrible friend and that the Amelia/Spud dynamic is an example of the ongoing anti-male agenda of mass media, I don't get people.

Conservatives have a unique level of brain rot that manifests in worldviews that are utterly alien to functional human beings.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i like how Amelia is a troublemaker. usually girls in comics are shown as quiet and nice and not, you know, normal kids.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Comments about newspaper comics are all going to be insane because levelheaded people do not go online to comment on newspaper comics.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

e:

Cowslips Warren posted:

i like how Amelia is a troublemaker. usually girls in comics are shown as quiet and nice and not, you know, normal kids.
This is part of why I like Toonerville so much - the kids are just kids(including Tomboy Taylor, who rules), and half the time the adults aren't interfering in their hijinks(or even think they're funny!). The exceptions tend to turn into recurring jokes("E-DITH!")

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 18, 2024

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Man, Mary Worth, Rex Morgan and the Phantom Sunday strip extremely have nothing going on right now.

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

And that’s the end of this little chapter! Unfortunately, I squandered the time I bought by getting these done quickly so my translation backlog is only a couple days long, but I’ll do my best.

Comic Strips 2024: Ahhh, I can't wait to have sex again!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hello. I haven't set foot around here since megathread #11, they just moved too fast for me to keep up with! But I just spotted this on IG and thought I would share it here. Don't know if it's already known about or not...

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 15, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Looks like CK is hosed right now, i'll update in the morning

riderchop fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 19, 2024

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze is spoiler'd due to bereavement arc.

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Schwarzwald posted:

Comments about newspaper comics are all going to be insane because levelheaded people do not go online to comment on newspaper comics.

For Christ's sake, look at US.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Samovar posted:

For Christ's sake, look at US.

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

This is another one of those that just doesn't work in English. In Finnish the signs basically say "no presence without a reason", and the Finnish word for reason -- "asia", literally "thing", but also "matter", "cause" etc -- can mean both the reason for being somewhere, and also fighting or acting for a cause.

And as the cherry on top, the expression the cop uses in the original, "asia selvä" (lit. "the thing is clear"), also uses the same word.

Obviously no sign would say "no loitering without a cause", but that's the only even remotely suitable translation I was able to come up with.