Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I read a lot of comments in different places saying the key to the depths is to build a hoverbike but I didn't really find it to be the game changer that it's made out to be. I also saw a comment somewhere from someone who said you could explore the depths for five hours and max out your battery and I think that was also a pretty big exaggeration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I read a lot of comments in different places saying the key to the depths is to build a hoverbike but I didn't really find it to be the game changer that it's made out to be. I also saw a comment somewhere from someone who said you could explore the depths for five hours and max out your battery and I think that was also a pretty big exaggeration.

Yeah, I used a hoverbike more in my second run, but it didn't feel that different as I was constantly getting back off of it to do other stuff. And my first run, I regularly did the rounds re-killing underground bosses after the blood moons to get battery rewards, and I finished the game just getting into the second tier of battery upgrades. Maybe you could get it done if you just took a day and spent it completely grinding through everything, but I don't have any interest in that.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

I had a miserable time with a hoverbike in the depths. I kept flying into sides of mountains etc cos its pitch black. Terrible advice.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Throw a large brightbloom seed at your bike and you'll be able to see all around

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

It takes some practice to get used to devices. A lot of people go all in and build battle mechs and whatnot meanwhile I'm still flying my fan plane into walls. I did one of those sky island shrine stone quests today and I was flying the orb to the next island except I flew too high and jumped off and watched my plane with the stone on it fly off into the horizon. Good thing it just teleporte back to the starting point. Do koroks do the same? So far I've only let one or two fly off into oblivion and I haven't bothered to check if they come back. Too many to keep track of. Spend five minutes building a rocket plane, attach the Korok, and then forget to get on the thing before I launch it...

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Just Andi Now posted:

Throw a large brightbloom seed at your bike and you'll be able to see all around
combine a large brightbloom seed with a Forest Dweller's Spear and you can have infinite spotlights on your hoverbikes. afaik attacking your machines doesn't wear down the weapon at all

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

It takes some practice to get used to devices. A lot of people go all in and build battle mechs and whatnot meanwhile I'm still flying my fan plane into walls. I did one of those sky island shrine stone quests today and I was flying the orb to the next island except I flew too high and jumped off and watched my plane with the stone on it fly off into the horizon. Good thing it just teleporte back to the starting point. Do koroks do the same? So far I've only let one or two fly off into oblivion and I haven't bothered to check if they come back. Too many to keep track of. Spend five minutes building a rocket plane, attach the Korok, and then forget to get on the thing before I launch it...

More than once I've sent off a minecart before I was on and tried to chase it down.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

I did one of those sky island shrine stone quests today and I was flying the orb to the next island except I flew too high and jumped off and watched my plane with the stone on it fly off into the horizon.

gotta hit "recall" real quick and tag it, then when it's over the island again you stop it and it'll fall straight down.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The hoverbike isn't bad. Some comments just present it as "the solution" to the problem of slogging through the depths, but you still need to slog through the depths in order to mine the zonaite to build up your battery well or get the charges needed for it cover decent ground.

I don't think the depths are as empty and boring as a lot of people make out, though. I don't mind exploring and fighting every giant frog monster I come across.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its funny, I play Dark Souls, slog through the many poisonous swamps, no big deal. But traversing the various extreme element regions in BotW feels like such a chore. I guess because the elixirs are harder to come by. I've revealed the whole map now and taken down 2 beasts, with the desert and death mountain left to go. Surely theres a way into Gerudo town without paying 600 bones to drag my way in? (I want to find out on my own) I'm just here trying to save your loving village, let me the gently caress in. Kinda fearful for what lies further out in the desert where I can see a dragon skeleton.

I found another Lynel in the snowy region, boy does that motherfucker pack a punch. I'm guessing I cant cheese the master sword trial by using an extra hearts buff? I'm up to 14 now, not sure how far I have to go. Really too bad they fumbled the weapon durability mechanic and there isn't more enemy variety. Its still a great game but could have been that much better.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

codo27 posted:

Its funny, I play Dark Souls, slog through the many poisonous swamps, no big deal. But traversing the various extreme element regions in BotW feels like such a chore. I guess because the elixirs are harder to come by. I've revealed the whole map now and taken down 2 beasts, with the desert and death mountain left to go. Surely theres a way into Gerudo town without paying 600 bones to drag my way in? (I want to find out on my own) I'm just here trying to save your loving village, let me the gently caress in. Kinda fearful for what lies further out in the desert where I can see a dragon skeleton.

I found another Lynel in the snowy region, boy does that motherfucker pack a punch. I'm guessing I cant cheese the master sword trial by using an extra hearts buff? I'm up to 14 now, not sure how far I have to go. Really too bad they fumbled the weapon durability mechanic and there isn't more enemy variety. Its still a great game but could have been that much better.

For whats its worth, the elixirs are only hard to make because you havent been to those areas yet. You can find plenty of materials to make more elixirs once you get there.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I spent way too long coming over the whole Tabantha/Hebra area looking for a chasm before just jumping in to one in the Gerudo Highlands and heading North.

I swear I can never find a cave when I start looking for a cave. But if I'm not looking, it's caves galore.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.ign.com/playlist/igneditorial/lists/the-ign-communitys-25-best-rated-games

One fifth of this list are Zelda games. Try to guess all five before you click.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

This is Majora's Mask erasure :negative:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I got the first four. The last one could have been any of like 25 games

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

lol nailed it

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Cartoon Man posted:

https://www.ign.com/playlist/igneditorial/lists/the-ign-communitys-25-best-rated-games

One fifth of this list are Zelda games. Try to guess all five before you click.

drat. I was close.

I got OoT and the Switches. My other guesses were "Twilight Princess" because I see people go for that one a lot lately and "A Link to the Past or maybe The Wind Waker. Whoops.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Hot (or maybe not so hot) take - people should reconsider still ranking OoT so highly. It's absolutely one of the most important and influential games of all time, but the gameplay does not hold up. Windwaker and Twilight Princess hold up tremendously better, especially their HD remasters with QoL improvements. (whyyy can't we get them on Switch??)

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Personally, I don't think TP holds up very well at all. It's carried pretty heavily by the Midna dynamic and looks a lot better in light of Skyward Sword, but I've still played through it twice and been thoroughly underwhelmed each time. Granted, I never played the HD version because of having played the original release twice over, so I don't know the QoL improvements, but it's where the formula really began to show its bloat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Hot (or maybe not so hot) take - people should reconsider still ranking OoT so highly. It's absolutely one of the most important and influential games of all time, but the gameplay does not hold up. Windwaker and Twilight Princess hold up tremendously better, especially their HD remasters with QoL improvements. (whyyy can't we get them on Switch??)

Lol, I'm glad I refreshed the thread, because I was just gonna make a jokey post saying something similar. Between playing it too many times and the series' technological improvements over time, I can't put it high on my favorites list because I have no interest in every going back to it, even if it's a heavy hitter in importance. Interestingly, Majora's Mask doesn't have that problem for me despite being the closest to it, it carves such a unique place for itself in mechanics and story that it's still my favorite in its own way.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

If I wanted to be overly reductive about the N64 Zelda games I’d say that OOT feels too much like a retread of LTTP with some new improvements and limitations due to the format change. MM is the game that actually feels unique and lasting, it’s definitely what comes to mind for me when I think of that era of Zelda games.

Maybe this is just LTTP nostalgia speaking, but what I want the most out of modern Zelda games is one that tries to be LTTP the same way OOT did, just with the same general approach of BOTW/TOTK. They’re both amazing games but I still come away from both feeling like I still just want a forest temple or whatever.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I think that the main reason y'all are a bit down on OoT is that it's, well, kinda basic. It doesn't stand out as wowing anyone anymore because it's a basic story with basic sidequests, in which you use basic core mechanics and basic items. It doesn't have that crazy creativity that Majora's Mask had. Once you've experienced it a couple times, it's going to seem like it's lost all novelty. But every aspect of it, other than the dodgy early-3D-game controls and graphics, is executed really loving well. Absolutely dominates over MM with good level design, charming characters, fun minigames, etc., even if MM might have more crazy cool ideas like the transformation masks and the 3-day cycle stuff. I mean, they're both fantastic games, I'm just sayin', there's reasons that OoT is rated so highly.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Manoueverable posted:

Personally, I don't think TP holds up very well at all. It's carried pretty heavily by the Midna dynamic and looks a lot better in light of Skyward Sword, but I've still played through it twice and been thoroughly underwhelmed each time. Granted, I never played the HD version because of having played the original release twice over, so I don't know the QoL improvements, but it's where the formula really began to show its bloat.

I can understand that. I kind of see TP as the more refined, still enjoyable to play version of OoT, but I can see how that can make it seem redundant to some. Still, I think it has the best traditional dungeons of the 3D games. What I would love is for the next game to combine the freedom of BotW/TotK with dungeons like TP had.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

My recollection of TP was that the dungeon items felt like glorified keys where you use them to progress in that particular dungeon in very specific ways but they never felt like they changed the way you view the rest of the game world. Very fail Zelda in other words

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Prior to BotW I've only ever played LttP (instead of a variance on .com should all nintendo related URLs begin with Lttp://?). I believe I still have a copy of the gold cart NES Zelda that was in a shed in the back of my buddys landlord's property about 15 years ago before retro prices got out of hand (landlord's son gave me the game as well as some other stuff that was in that milk crate). Still somewhat doubtful I'm gonna be able to clear BotW at my current pace AND TotK before Elden Ring DLC comes out but I do plan on backtracking the series someday.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I have a lot of love for OoT. One of my fondest memories was staying up until 5:00am during Christmas break completing the Forest Temple. That being said, I played through it so thoroughly I have no desire to play again. 100% completed it besides catching the Hylian loach.

LTTP is somewhat similar in that I have the game completely memorized at this point.

For me at least, the original has more replayability at this point because of the second quest, which I've only gone all the way through once.

I have trouble replaying Zelda 2 because it's so tedious.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've also played LttP a million times, but unlike OoT I actually go back to it occasionally. I think the difference is that it's so much breezier to play - it's so much lighter on the story end, and the 2D dungeons just go by so much faster that you can fly through it in a couple sessions.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've also played LttP a million times, but unlike OoT I actually go back to it occasionally. I think the difference is that it's so much breezier to play - it's so much lighter on the story end, and the 2D dungeons just go by so much faster that you can fly through it in a couple sessions.

Same. My last playthrough was when I got the SNES classic a few years ago.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

OoT was great, especially at its time. But MM is just clearly better.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

See I never played MM because you needed that expansion pak (or at least, I thought you did) and I never bothered to get that for my N64. I did try to go back and play it on an emulator or something once, I think, but I couldn't get into it because of the controls if I recall.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

GoodSmile has put up pre-orders for the Figma TOTK Link.

The basic one is $61 and comes with a couple of faces, a few hands, the Master Sword and Hylian shield.

The deluxe one is :siren:$116:siren: and comes with a bunch of extras like the paraglider, a rocket, an extra arm, etc.

I'm debating whether the extra stuff is worth the $55 price boost or not...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

e: that spoiler ^^^ :v:

See I never played MM because you needed that expansion pak (or at least, I thought you did) and I never bothered to get that for my N64.

Yep, it did require that. I wasn't originally that hyped on playing the game, and only got around to playing it a generation late, when expansion packs were cheap.

I'm glad I did, I think it's still super worth playing now. Of course it's aged, but it feels fresher than OoT and the time travel implementation is still a standout feature. Especially the way it was refined a bit in the 3DS version.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
What about the Ligma Link?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bismack Billabongo posted:

What about the Ligma Link?

drat chief, ive never heard this joke before. good one

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I more or less stopped playing video games after N64 up until I finally got a Switch so I have huge backlog of Zelda games that I'll probably never play. MM would be on the top of that list. I could play it on Switch. Hopefully the controls are better than Starfox 64 because I tried that and it was basically unplayable.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The MM controls are exactly the same as OoT, no?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

RCarr posted:

The MM controls are exactly the same as OoT, no?

I assume but I only ever played that on N64

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TIL that if you take photos of Gannon and present them to Kilton, you can have statues made of him.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Like the end boss or the phantoms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Spanish Manlove posted:

Like the end boss or the phantoms?

All three forms. I don't know if you can take a photo of the dragon form though.