Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DO IT TO IT posted:

I'm down to just 1 piece of chocograss left in Nibel and I've been searching forever for it. Anyone know of some that are easy to miss?

Could be inside one of the islands, on top of those sources of water in there.

My last one was right behind the bridge near Nibelheim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Cosmo Canyon starting with a Chocobo stealth mission then immediately going into Glide de Chocobo is some sadistic poo poo. Whoever designed that is evil. I was able to get 8/9 rewards from them, I didn’t get the accessory from the third course for hitting every ring and I could not care less. Really awful mini-game, even when disabling the motion controls.

I just got done with the same and have always laughed at people who want to “throw the controller “ but I uhhh almost did. gently caress choco gliding lol, poo poo is awful.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Woo, my PS5 didn't update/reboot overnight and left me at the game over screen. Got (ch. 12) Rufus down in one more attempt. :woop:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
These Cetra armors I'm getting in the final parts of the game can't be good, can they? 0 materia slots in exchange for a +30 defense in either def or mdef? How much difference could that defense make in exchange for giving up all the versatility, and sometimes stat buffs, of the 6 or so slots? I'm only asking because this one was given to me after going out of my way in this dungeon like some big hidden reward. I liked the 3 star steadfast block materia reward more! (added it to Aerith)

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

crimson mare is loving brutal jeez

no tank in the party makes it difficult just keeping everyone alive let alone doing any meaningful damage

E: aw hell it even has a short runback and cutscene to skip each attempt

I keep getting like 3 shot, I might turn the difficulty to easy for this one. Been in dynamic all game but this isn’t a good time lol

Okay I got it done. Didn’t change difficulty to do it either. Phew

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 17, 2024

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

thebardyspoon posted:

It makes sense there's cards for Sephiroth since he's a famous soldier and Rufus since he's the president, it's weird that there's cards for the Turks, the Avalanche members, Don Corneo and Jonny gives you his card and it references the fact that he's got clones as created by Yuffie which only happened during the events of the game so are we to believe that in universe people can create cards of themselves when they want, give them whatever abilities they want and everyone else just has to live with those existing in the actual official game they all play? The 3rd game clearly needs to explain this in great detail imo cause there's clearly a lot to it, maybe the whispers can be involved in that as well?

it’s a magic card game op
if you lose you get sent to the shadow realm

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Just got to Gongaga

Oh, the map doesn't mark the rappel ropes or these jump mushrooms? I... just got to the village but I feel like this might be a problem later when I actually start trying to explore

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gongaga World Intel is the low mark of the game probably. Just a frustrating place to explore.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The intro to the Gold Saucer was incredible :buddy:

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Cosmo Canyon starting with a Chocobo stealth mission then immediately going into Glide de Chocobo is some sadistic poo poo. Whoever designed that is evil. I was able to get 8/9 rewards from them, I didn’t get the accessory from the third course for hitting every ring and I could not care less. Really awful mini-game, even when disabling the motion controls.

After over an hour of imagining myself picking up my PS5 and smashing it against a wall due to the last course, an “easy” way to solve it that I read online is to fly back to the fans after the last 500 before the dive. Then after you get the air boost, go back to the dive and finish it up. Got it my second try.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Macaluso posted:

The intro to the Gold Saucer was incredible :buddy:

It doesn't get full marks because there wasn't a full blown dance-off between Yuffie and Andrea.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

thebardyspoon posted:

It makes sense there's cards for Sephiroth since he's a famous soldier and Rufus since he's the president, it's weird that there's cards for the Turks, the Avalanche members, Don Corneo and Jonny gives you his card and it references the fact that he's got clones as created by Yuffie which only happened during the events of the game so are we to believe that in universe people can create cards of themselves when they want, give them whatever abilities they want and everyone else just has to live with those existing in the actual official game they all play? The 3rd game clearly needs to explain this in great detail imo cause there's clearly a lot to it, maybe the whispers can be involved in that as well?

It's a promo where they just slap photos on the pre-made templates. You think you're special?

MechaX posted:

Just got to Gongaga

Oh, the map doesn't mark the rappel ropes or these jump mushrooms? I... just got to the village but I feel like this might be a problem later when I actually start trying to explore

Ha. Ha ha ha. Hahahaha.

Yes.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Could be inside one of the islands, on top of those sources of water in there.

My last one was right behind the bridge near Nibelheim.

Yup, it was in a cave on one of the little islands after all.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
With 174 hours on the clock (let's say 10-15 of them was the game idling while I was doing other stuff), I have obtained the platinum. Some of those combat challenges were absolutely brutal, just like their name says. Still, what a game!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Did you pause the game or leave it going? If you pause the game the timer stops after about 3 minutes.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Jimbot posted:

Did you pause the game or leave it going? If you pause the game the timer stops after about 3 minutes.

Does leaving it open in the menu count? But i definitely had some fights where I opened the assess menu and then left it there for a while, or just left Clould standing somewhere in the world.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

It really isn't. (QB spoilers) After all the card game is made by a ghost.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It took me several continuous hours of attempts but I beat the loving Clowns. I still don't know what really is the theory behind the Jokers and Gigantoad round but rushing down the Gigantoad helped... I think? Iron Giant can still gently caress you up but is a breather in comparison, especially when you can just evade all his powerful attacks easily. I'm not sure if it's actually possible to stagger him during his normal Pressure window since even with Pressure the big stagger attacks barely move the meter but it doesn't seem to matter much. I channeled all my rage at the game designers into one last Double Transcendent Thundaga.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DO IT TO IT posted:

Yup, it was in a cave on one of the little islands after all.

Yeah, the general "trick" to finding the last chocograsses is to teleport to each of the lifestream and summon spots, which are often in caves, and just go through the cave. That's where the last couple I was missing were.

There's also one that's kind of easy to miss on one of the larger islands to the west.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Gongaga World Intel is the low mark of the game probably. Just a frustrating place to explore.

Navigating Gongaga actually wasn't nearly as bad as I initially expected it to be after being introduced to the mushroom mechanic. There aren't really many situations where you need to make unintuitive mushroom jumps to reach a location. I don't think there are any situations where you have to use some random distant mushroom to reach a place? You can generally find everything just by finding paths to unexplored parts of the map. The key is to just look closely at the minimap for "things that look like paths" (this is also a reminder for people to change their UI to show the minimap instead of the compass thing, since I can't imagine trying to navigate most of these areas with the compass).

I actually ended up enjoying exploring Gongaga just because it was visually interesting. I think I was only ever frustrated once, when trying to get to one of the towers (and the way to reach the tower ended up being pretty obvious, but for some reason I just didn't notice the ramp up to the mushroom that bounces to it).

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The actual trouble in Gongaga for me was missing rope climb spots and being completely unable to find how i'm supposed to get to certain areas.

There's some similar navigation puzzles in the next area but for those its usually a lot clearer that you're in something of a puzzle and you just need to find the right chain of glinding spots (which are all fast travel points so you can easily jump back to wherever you want if you need to take another path etc).

they want shady
May 11, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The actual trouble in Gongaga for me was missing rope climb spots and being completely unable to find how i'm supposed to get to certain areas.

There's some similar navigation puzzles in the next area but for those its usually a lot clearer that you're in something of a puzzle and you just need to find the right chain of glinding spots (which are all fast travel points so you can easily jump back to wherever you want if you need to take another path etc).

Yeah, I didn't find Gongaga to be that troublesome to navigate but it wouldn't have hurt to mark the mushrooms or the ropes like they do with the gliding pads in the next area. That said, having finished the game, my favorite area is still Junon. Can see why they picked it for a demo. It's not hard to navigate and, compared to other areas, it's full of varied and good looking vistas.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Well, Chapter 9 deserves its reputation. What the gently caress is going on, what just happened.

Also Cloud we all know you’re crazy, it’s why we love you, you still gotta take it down like three notches.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Chapter 9 was great. I just ignored all the intel and did the story bits and promptly moved on.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
It's my turn to woddle in this thread and reveal the dumb assumption I made that led to me wasting game time. The final loving series of boss fights has a choice between "Retry from Before Current Battle", "Retry from This Battle", and "Retry from Before Battle" when you lose on any of the fights further into the series than the first one, and of course ignoring that I should have just picked the top choice on the list to restart from the most recent time, I instead thought that "I want to retry from this battle, not before current battle. What if "Restart from Before Current Battle" takes me before the whole series of battles? Well no, the middle option of course restarts from the beginning of the fight, and I guess the third option starts from before anything happens in the first place. This game is so lucky it has impeccable music and is FF7 because holy poo poo, I can't stand this kind of ambiguity!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
game done

game good

beat the final boss literally while he was killing everyone with a panicked finishing touch. extremely dramatic

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

UP AND ADAM posted:

It's my turn to woddle in this thread and reveal the dumb assumption I made that led to me wasting game time. The final loving series of boss fights has a choice between "Retry from Before Current Battle", "Retry from This Battle", and "Retry from Before Battle" when you lose on any of the fights further into the series than the first one, and of course ignoring that I should have just picked the top choice on the list to restart from the most recent time, I instead thought that "I want to retry from this battle, not before current battle. What if "Restart from Before Current Battle" takes me before the whole series of battles? Well no, the middle option of course restarts from the beginning of the fight, and I guess the third option starts from before anything happens in the first place. This game is so lucky it has impeccable music and is FF7 because holy poo poo, I can't stand this kind of ambiguity!

this got me as well

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Ten rounds of combat simulation is too many rounds. It would be too many rounds for most kinds of things but it is especially too many rounds for the kinds of thing this game has ten round scenarios of. There is no variation of this that is a good choice. It doesn't matter how good or fair the actual fights themselves are. Ten in a row is too many, takes too long, and will demoralise any player who doesn't first try it.

A mostly unrelated curiosity is that in OG FFVII you were specifically still permitted to cast Toad while Toad'd but the Regames don't have that spell, so it's impossible to resist the Frog status by any means other than accessories or cure it by any means other than Esuna, meaning you're pretty hosed if either your whole party or the wrong person gets hit with it and you haven't built specifically for Frog resistance.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Fedule posted:

A mostly unrelated curiosity is that in OG FFVII you were specifically still permitted to cast Toad while Toad'd but the Regames don't have that spell, so it's impossible to resist the Frog status by any means other than accessories or cure it by any means other than Esuna, meaning you're pretty hosed if either your whole party or the wrong person gets hit with it and you haven't built specifically for Frog resistance.

You can craft Maiden's Kisses

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Sockser posted:

You can craft Maiden's Kisses

Indeed you can, which is very helpful outside the combat simulator (in Normal modes only)

MintFresh
Jun 24, 2020

The whole red 13 character development in chapter 10 was so good. drat I don’t want this game to end I’m almost finished with it

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Chapter 10 might be my fav chapter in the game. Just a big sequence of scenes that all hit for me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I hope Chadley upgrades his VR in part 3 to be able to have different backdrops. It didn't bug me in Remake, but there are so many combat simulator challenges in Rebirth that I'm wishing for a change of scenery.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

How close to the end am I if I’m just cleaning up open world stuff at the end of chapter 9? Are there still a lot of giant open world sections left?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Heithinn Grasida posted:

How close to the end am I if I’m just cleaning up open world stuff at the end of chapter 9? Are there still a lot of giant open world sections left?

maybe 60%? long way to go

i did everything i could without going into NG+ and my final time was 98 hours

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Is there any way to increase the difficulty? I’m in Junon and everything aside from the summon simulator fights and occasional special fights are a little too easy. I’m guessing there’s a hard mode that is only unlocks or by first beating the game, which is a bit annoying.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Difficulty starts picking up in the next region, particularly if you try some optional stuff that opens up. I'd say by the back third difficulty feels about on par with Remake, which i've really appreciated.

Also, do the Summons at Full Power if you can. Great fights imo.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Is there any way to increase the difficulty? I’m in Junon and everything aside from the summon simulator fights and occasional special fights are a little too easy. I’m guessing there’s a hard mode that is only unlocks or by first beating the game, which is a bit annoying.

You can set it to Dynamic mode in the options, which will scale all the enemies with your current level.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Rhonne posted:

You can set it to Dynamic mode in the options, which will scale all the enemies with your current level.

True, but it doesn't seem to make it that much harder. The first real skin of my teeth battle was in chapter 9 Crimson Mare and that was solely down to me completely forgetting to rearrange materia despite the game giving me a massive amount of time to do so.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Man I love what they did with cosmo canyon (except gliding).

Having a great time and I can’t quite tell how this is going to end.

(Chapter 10) does red ever go back to his old voice? He sounds like a ninja turtle now and I’m waiting for him to be like “cowabunga! Pizza time!!”. It’s fine, I’m not complaining, the Gi part loving ruled. .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Blindside is such a broken ability I loving love it