Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

The latest episode of that movie cg explained channel talked about how the behind the scenes footage will nowadays cg out the green screens to make a movie seem like it was shot more practically than it actually was. And I'm not ashamed to admit that even my cynicism did not extend that far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

DebonaireD posted:

The latest episode of that movie cg explained channel talked about how the behind the scenes footage will nowadays cg out the green screens to make a movie seem like it was shot more practically than it actually was. And I'm not ashamed to admit that even my cynicism did not extend that far.

we live in a hyperreality

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
they should use effects to make my bank account bigger thanks

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kingo Ligma posted:

Maybe I could have picked a better analogy (or you can just disagree with me, or I might even be an idiot on the internet), but can you honestly not see a change in how people relate to art and movies in particular over the last decade or two? Because for me it seems like a much, much more combative relationship from normies. There's a sense of fear of being "tricked" by a movie and finding out later that the movie made a mistake. A fear of looking the fool for saying you like a movie ten minutes before the cinema sins bells start ringing. People seem way more inclined to watch a movie looking for faults and seams, generally missing the actual ones (see previous discussion of Dune drone shot) and then applying the idea of the film makers incompetence to their own failings. Then they get to feel smarter then the Hollywood big shots and tell everyone on earth they could have done a better job (they couldn't).

Have big budget movies gotten worse over the last ten years or so (including the marvel collapse and pandemic years)? No, it must be the audiences and a C-list youtuber who are responsible.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Just saw Dune pt. 2. Not sure I liked it tbqh, but it's worth it for the visuals alone.

Also, if you close your eyes, Tim Chal sounds a lot like Nicolas Cage on some lines.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Tunicate posted:

Have big budget movies gotten worse over the last ten years or so (including the marvel collapse and pandemic years)? No, it must be the audiences and a C-list youtuber who are responsible.

Did you see the bit where I specifically and in detail said that modern movies are way shittier? I'm talking about the audience relationship with art as a whole.

Going back to that Jurassic Park example:

Virtually no one noticed there was no cliff, the majority of people who did notice didn't care, and anyone who did notice and did care got told the only appropriate response: "shut the gently caress up, nerd".

It took twenty years for it to become a "problem", to become a punchline, and all the rest of that poo poo.

People aren't just combative and holier than thou with Madame Webb, they're combative and holier than thou with actual movies too.

How many tweets get posted in here of people trying to do sick burns on poo poo like Starship troopers when it's clear they didn't understand the movie on a fundamental level? That's the poo poo I'm talking about, and that's the poo poo that moron execs are scared of.

Whether you like it or not, c list youtubers actively effect how and which movies get made and it's dumb as gently caress.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
It feels like there is more of them, but that could just be a memory thing. But a lot of big budget blockbusters were always pretty terrible. Often enjoyable trash like say conair or commando, but what's "enjoyable trash" and whats dull, boring trash is obviosly going to be very subjective.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I’ll agree in part about the magic being diminished by overexposure. It used to be you’d see the trailer for a movie, then you’d see the movie, then you’d get the movie on vhs/dvd.

Now I hear it’s in the works, casting news (x10), shooting has begun, reshoots have been scheduled, teaser, longer teaser, teaser trailer, theatrical trailer, early reviews, I see the movie, discourse hell, hulu, forgotten forever.

Obviously this is all self inflicted because I could just not follow entertainment news, but still

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I wonder how a C- grade stinker like Dante’s Peak or something would be eviscerated today. Instead of just like in the 90s when everyone saw it, shrugged, and just lived with a dozen VHS tapes of it on every K-Mart escape for the next five years.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i love dante’s peak. one of the few movies brave enough to melt a grandma. volcano came out the same year and it was just forgettable as hell

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Melt a grandma? I wonder how Mike felt about that?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Volcano is the one where the firefighter cant jump far enough to escape the lava, right? I think that was my first time ever thinking about radiant heat from lava never being a thing in media which is the exact sort of soul crushingly boring thing a disaster film is supposed to distract you from thinking

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Barudak posted:

Volcano is the one where the firefighter cant jump far enough to escape the lava, right? I think that was my first time ever thinking about radiant heat from lava never being a thing in media which is the exact sort of soul crushingly boring thing a disaster film is supposed to distract you from thinking

See, now you need to make a 42 minute YouTube video talking about radiant heat in disaster movies

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Outpost22 posted:

Melt a grandma? I wonder how Mike felt about that?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

lol i just spent 5 minutes trying to post this. thank you

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kingo Ligma posted:

but can you honestly not see a change in how people relate to art and movies in particular over the last decade or two?

No and that's also the first and last I'll think about it for the rest of my life.

Most normal people are never watching whatever lovely videos you're talking about and that certainly aren't emulating on how they feel about whatever they saw. Your post is describing some bizarre world where the worst comment section on YouTube somehow became representative of the masses.

In the last X years there have been more channels and junk going into movies in stupid and annoying ways but that's a problem for the scrubs who watched videos of other idiots giving media opinions. Just don't be that and whatever you were describing doesn't even exist anymore.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Hackers film 1995 posted:

i love dante’s peak. one of the few movies brave enough to melt a grandma. volcano came out the same year and it was just forgettable as hell

Yeah, I dante's peak was great. Perfect disasters movie. Volcano was just a boring slog.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

huhhhh?? the gently caress is this. i swear to god. some a you

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Every Sony movie looks like that too, with all of that color saturation

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

What are we supposed to be noticing here?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What are we supposed to be noticing here?

Bad Sony movie still does the bare minimum in cinematography while bad Disney movie looks like a credit card commercial, supposedly.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

but i didnt watch them freakin movies

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's the same person in both shots, CGI run amok pretty soon there will be only one actor per movie.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Bad Marvel movie looks like it was shot inside GTA5.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Presto posted:

Just saw Dune pt. 2. Not sure I liked it tbqh, but it's worth it for the visuals alone.

Also, if you close your eyes, Tim Chal sounds a lot like Nicolas Cage on some lines.

I meant to see the noon showing of Dune 2 but the theater doors were locked when I showed up so I wandered off to drink a beer and have a cheeseburger and never came back. My ability to sustain interest in even the least objectionable sound big budget movies is just barely hanging in there, it’s nuts.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Khanstant posted:

No and that's also the first and last I'll think about it for the rest of my life.

Most normal people are never watching whatever lovely videos you're talking about and that certainly aren't emulating on how they feel about whatever they saw. Your post is describing some bizarre world where the worst comment section on YouTube somehow became representative of the masses.

In the last X years there have been more channels and junk going into movies in stupid and annoying ways but that's a problem for the scrubs who watched videos of other idiots giving media opinions. Just don't be that and whatever you were describing doesn't even exist anymore.

Ok.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
My encroaching elderliness was showing again because I couldn't understand a drat thing anyone in Dune 2 was saying for like 40% of the movie.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
CGI went too far when they removed all the dots the actors stood on.

When they edit out the black sheets of paper is the moment cinema will die.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Presto posted:

My encroaching elderliness was showing again because I couldn't understand a drat thing anyone in Dune 2 was saying for like 40% of the movie.

:yeah:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mega64 posted:

CGI went too far when they removed all the dots the actors stood on.

When they edit out the black sheets of paper is the moment cinema will die.

Just watch films with so little budget they cant even afford dots

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Presto posted:

Always caption on life. The camrip had auto captions which weren't great with dune words but I knew those so it was fine.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Really dignified final resting place for Pop Pop

https://twitter.com/dizchris/status/1769440693389517278

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I can't kathleen kennedy paid to have the corpse of star wars cremated

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 18, 2024

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kingo Ligma posted:

Going back to that Jurassic Park example:

Virtually no one noticed there was no cliff, the majority of people who did notice didn't care, and anyone who did notice and did care got told the only appropriate response: "shut the gently caress up, nerd".

It took twenty years for it to become a "problem", to become a punchline, and all the rest of that poo poo.

This is kind of bullshit, people absolutely knew, it was the kind of thing that I'd see mentioned on TV and magazines as a continuity blunder for years and years, and its not surprising because continuity really is a thing that productions pay attention to by and large, there's a whole job dedicated to this that was invented almost as soon as basic editing.

The Jurassic Park cliff is basically one of the most high profile breaks in continuity that most people can point to, so high profile that it wasn't actually a mistake, Spielberg just did it because he decided that the sacrifice in verisimilitude was worth it for the extra drama added, he was probably right, but its the kind of call that showed how good a director he was that he could see when he knew he could break the rules and get away with it.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

they accounted for the cliff in the Sega Genesis game

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I have no idea what cliff you are talking about because when I watched Jurassic Park as a kid I went "cool dinosaurs!" and then as an adult I watch Jurassic Park and go "cool dinosaurs!"

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I never knew there was some cliff problem so I looked it up and yeah huh that’s weird that there’s a cliff there! Really big props to the movie for being confident enough to just allow such an inconsistency but just saying “people will go with it, they’re already having fun”

It fuckin worked since I saw that movie a hundred times and never once questioned it

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

KakerMix posted:

I have no idea what cliff you are talking about because when I watched Jurassic Park as a kid I went "cool dinosaurs!" and then as an adult I watch Jurassic Park and go "cool dinosaurs!"
after the t-rex fight, when grant and the kids get separated from the group, there's a part where things slow down, and then Cliff, the mailman from Cheers appears, and starts talking directly to the audience? h-he says to butcher your wife in the bathtub??

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Cubone posted:

after the t-rex fight, when grant and the kids get separated from the group, there's a part where things slow down, and then Cliff, the mailman from Cheers appears, and starts talking directly to the audience? h-he says to butcher your wife in the bathtub??

yeah but where's the problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

KakerMix posted:

When I was an adult I realized the cliff kinda didn’t make sense but the movie fuckin rules so I didn’t give it a second thought.