Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I didn't finish the series but found it just a wee bit aggravating that the whole grow operation is introduced in the trailer as a big focus of the show but plays almost no role at least earlier on.

It serves as a reason for the lady to be in this dude's life right now okay sure but they could have found any of hundreds of reasons. It explains why he doesn't want to sell the estate and hints at the buyer wanting it for that same reason (I'm not sure if this goes anywhere) but for at least a few episodes it's just referenced casually like 'Don't you dare tell mom about the drug lab it would give her a heart attack' "Oh I know about the drug lab dear, I've known for years" and just chugs along.

Also, I didn't at all get what Sir Smugface the banker's scam was. I'm not saying there isn't a sensible explanation just that I didn't catch it. I gather that he tricks aristocrats into taking bad bets. At least sometimes by first tipping them off to a few good ones (or setting them up himself)? But he doesn't actually place the bets, so when the mark loses he keeps the money as opposed to it going to the real bookie. Or he knows that the mark can't pay up the amount he's egged them into betting so uses hired muscle to pressure the marks into very unfavourable 'loans' on what they 'lost' so they'll have to hand over things like real estate and heirlooms or their political/social influence? Okay. But what if the mark's bet wins, what then? Does he just return the original bet (or even keep that) and say the gangsters he bet the money with refused to honour the deal? Does he ensure the bet is so unlikely he can fork over the occasional win out of pocket and still keep in the black? What's the scam here? Because on its on as it's explained, simply taking normal bets and not actually placing them, doesn't make or lose you any money.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bagrada posted:

Did that recently change? I watched an episode of Frieren on my PS4 through Crunchyroll last month.

I use it alot and noticed it being buggy as gently caress for awhile but maybe that's just me. Doesn't happen with my other apps tho.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

swickles posted:

I loved that show. Nicole Beyer is hilarious, and that show had a perfect role for her. And yes, Carl Tart is fantastic.

Just found out about this dude from his appearance on the podcast Bonanas for Bonanza. He was hilarious while faking his way thru pretending to be the original costume designer for Bonanza and mostly talked about the actors taint size. Gonna follow what he does.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tart was one of the voices on the Peacock stop-motion NPR parody In the Know that came out at the start of the year that I thought was funny.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Shageletic posted:

Gonna follow what he does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZFT6r-nmJY&t=3382s

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Man, season 3 ending of the 100 must have felt annoying back in the day. I think Pike was totally wrong but not on the concept of grounders being a threat, just on the approach of what he was doing (They should've found another place to live). Olivia just slashing Pike before the first people climbed up was probably the dumbest thing I've seen in the show so far. The entire thing of AI mind controlling people was so under developed. Also meltdowns?!?! I can't imagine even the most catastrophic meltdowns known to man compare to nuking the planet with weapons many times over. Oh well, at least I get to see where season 4 goes instantly instead of waiting after that ending, geez

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The biggest problem I had with Pike was how they did such a poor job setting him up. IIRC he gets mentioned like once or twice in previous seasons but for how much of a hold he has on everyone they needed to either have him appear earlier or use an already established character.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

The biggest problem I had with Pike was how they did such a poor job setting him up. IIRC he gets mentioned like once or twice in previous seasons but for how much of a hold he has on everyone they needed to either have him appear earlier or use an already established character.

Originally they wanted to use the lady from s1, Colonel Tigh's wife from BSG, who mutinied with some other people and they crashed the shuttle into the ground. But she had some scheduling issues so they got Pike instead.

Also Octavia is the worst :colbert:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Also Octavia is the worst :colbert:

Good thing they just keep giving her new titles when the old ones wear thin.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Saw Pike mentioned and had a moment of beautiful hope that I'd missed a new season of Strange New Worlds starting :shobon:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jerusalem posted:

Saw Pike mentioned and had a moment of beautiful hope that I'd missed a new season of Strange New Worlds starting :shobon:

I can't see Pike without thinking about that beautiful hair either.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The true final frontier :swoon:

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

oh jay posted:

Good thing they just keep giving her new titles when the old ones wear thin.

Bloodreina :black101:

I remember not loving any of the A.L.I.E. stuff in Season 3 (and I was pretty done with Jaha as a whole by then), but enjoyed Season 4.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

Samantha's story is the only part of S2 I'm unsure about.

I'm mostly enjoying this season but I have zero interest in Samantha or her dumbass club. It's kind of a drag on the whole show.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Has anyone else been watching Quiet On Set? I just finished episode 1 and the horror stories from the writers on the All That set… drat.

Very much a reminder that Hollywood is trash and the book Burn It Down is absolutely right.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Pan Dulce posted:

Has anyone else been watching Quiet On Set? I just finished episode 1 and the horror stories from the writers on the All That set… drat.

Very much a reminder that Hollywood is trash and the book Burn It Down is absolutely right.

The annoying thing is that when they don’t have footage of something, they just cut to a super close-up of Schneider’s face.

They got interesting stories, I wish they had used something other than “tension strings (30 second loop” as the soundtrack.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Night Country is not a good background show, I'm missing a ton but I'm also hooked but I also gotta work. I really hope whatever horrible frost curse is cast on Hank (abusive cop dad) by the end of the show, this dude sucks a cut above the rest.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Two episodes into Shogun. I'm liking it but please tell me they figure out how to focus the camera in later episodes. Reading subtitles over a blurry background is very unpleasant. The show also heavily abuses vignetting in a distracting manner. The production quality is insane, it's too bad the cameras don't want to actually show it.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Pan Dulce posted:

I finished the 2 released episodes last night. It gets worse. It gets a whole lot worse.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Night Country is not a good background show, I'm missing a ton but I'm also hooked but I also gotta work. I really hope whatever horrible frost curse is cast on Hank (abusive cop dad) by the end of the show, this dude sucks a cut above the rest.

I loved night country but if I could do it again, I would just skip the final episode.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

PenguinKnight posted:

I finished the 2 released episodes last night. It gets worse. It gets a whole lot worse.

I'm watching the second episode now, and I've never known much about the whole thing because, while I watched a bit of All That as a kid, by the time The Amanda Show came around I had kinda aged out of it. But (and I know I'm far from the first to say this) I gotta say, gently caress Dan Schneider. Yikes.

Hot take, I know.

edit: Yup, it got worse.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 18, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

I loved night country but if I could do it again, I would just skip the final episode.

why? im totally comfortable doing that with good reason, got a long list of things i enjoyed possibly more because I skipped their last book/episode/chapter/act/whatever.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Nah, the finale owns. If you're enjoying it so far you'll enjoy the ending.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Khanstant posted:

why? im totally comfortable doing that with good reason, got a long list of things i enjoyed possibly more because I skipped their last book/episode/chapter/act/whatever.

The twist doesn’t fully make sense^, which even the author admits. There’s a magical storm that prevents them from leaving but doesn’t prevent other people from going other places. There is even more pointless police brutality (although it’s a series staple, it seems very blatant here). You can probably write a better ending for the mystery in your mind, so give yourself a chance.

^There’s a major plot object with no obvious mystical or regular chain of title.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pan Dulce posted:

Is that there the tiktoks I'm seeing are coming from? I just saw a clip where a someone who was on All That said he went to a guy's house and the guy had a custom painting from John Wayne Gacy and was penpals with him.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Is that there the tiktoks I'm seeing are coming from? I just saw a clip where a someone who was on All That said he went to a guy's house and the guy had a custom painting from John Wayne Gacy and was penpals with him.

I think so. I remember that moment in episode 2.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, that's from episode 2. It's a shocking moment, though not the worst moment. And they set up episode 3 being even worse.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

quote:

Here is the full statement from a spokesperson for Schneider: Everything that happened on the shows Dan ran was carefully scrutinized by dozens of involved adults, and approved by the network. If there was an actual problem with the scenes that some people, now years later are “sexualizing”, they would be taken down, but they are not, they are aired constantly all over the world today still, enjoyed by both kids and parents.

Remember, all stories, dialogue, costumes, and makeup were fully approved by network executives on two coasts. A standards and practices group read and ultimately approved every script, and programming executives reviewed and approved all episodes. In addition, every day on every set, there were always parents and caregivers and their friends watching filming and rehearsals. Had there been any scenes or outfits that were inappropriate in any way, they would have been flagged and blocked by this multilayered scrutiny.

That's some A+ blame-throwing. PR team earning their $.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Golden Bee posted:

Schneider comes across as a guy who had no idea what he was doing as a producer, and used that inexperience to cover all kinds of wrongdoings. "I didn't know that was wrong, so shouldn't you blame the people above me?" And as someone who hated women. And who was way too into hanging out with kids, for the wrong reasons. And that kind of guy who would laugh while saying, "Wouldn't it be silly if we made out? That would be crazy, right? Hahahaha...." while also staring you dead in the eye. The show has already had a few examples of him doing exactly that when asking for massages from women writers.

Just an all around creep, who, at the very least, enabled two outright pedophiles to have access to and attack children. Possibly do worse, like I said, this show is where I'm gaining most of my knowledge of the situation. (I'm sure more is coming.)

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

It shows the level of pull and power this rear end in a top hat still had to even have representation still willing to go up to bat for him. Hell, I just saw a recent picture of him with Ariana Grande and a couple of other adult Nick stars.

He should be toxic to the point that no one wants to go near him.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

He’s super rich. He can afford a part-time publicist until LA becomes a salty lake.

And yeah, part of the Weinstein scandal was people saying “why were you photographed next to this person who did things” as if no one ever has to work or attend events with powerful monsters.

Smart of them to do a two night event. I’m definitely turning in tonight, but if I saw four episodes I would’ve put it on the “eventually get to” list.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Golden Bee posted:

When this stuff happens it always feels weird to me. Same with Cosby, Weinstein, or Vince McMahon. I'VE know this stuff. I've known about Schneider and the poo poo he's done and I am absolutely not connected in any way to Hollywood. And I'm sure a lot of us have known about it. So is it strange that nothing was ever really said or done about it until now or is it weird that it's happening now all of a sudden?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

1glitch0 posted:

When this stuff happens it always feels weird to me. Same with Cosby, Weinstein, or Vince McMahon. I'VE know this stuff. I've known about Schneider and the poo poo he's done and I am absolutely not connected in any way to Hollywood. And I'm sure a lot of us have known about it. So is it strange that nothing was ever really said or done about it until now or is it weird that it's happening now all of a sudden?

In recent years, because of a bunch of brave people risking their careers, the downside of keeping toxic people around have outweighed the benefits*. The key decision-makers are intentionally insulated from bad behavior, so they can say “we don’t run our studio based on rumors”. The rest is just how well the predator entrenches himself in the system. Vince _was_ WWE. He ran it like a king and he had a contract that meant when his company merged, he was still royalty. Cosby hadn’t had a show in years when the allegations became unable; it was him, licensing, and his tour booker/manager. The only people who could tell him no were people whose careers he ran.

*There are horrid people in every industry. Well Schneider rose to power, the LAPD was responding to the Rampart scandal by forming their own gangs. They blow up neighborhoods due to unsafe practices and get $.50 out of every tax dollar Angelinos pay. Again, open secret, reported in local media.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's also the case where the problematic person owns the industry. Vince McMahon pretty much owned wrestling and could get people to protect him if something came up. And even when he was removed, he still owned the company, and still brought himself back when he thought everything had died down.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

Because the code of silence benefits literally everyone except the victims so being willing to even speak up when you saw something extremely hosed up is a huge personal risk.

The guy who walked into Jerry Sandusky raping a child in the showers decided to speak to his own dad first, then they approached Joe Paterno and told him before proceeding to never talk about it again to anyone.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Episode three of Quiet On Set was a gut punch. Jesus, the support letters victim blaming… the full court in support of Peck… the fact that even after he was convicted, he still works on The Suite Life of Zach and Cody, with KIDS.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It was a heart wrenching episode.
Curious what will happen in the industry as a result of this.

On a purely technical level:
They needed more b-roll footage, too many horror shots of a ~~camera in a room~~ and a script on the floor. The interviews were great, but it was super distracting.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1769824356673159242

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“a bunch of losers do some loser poo poo”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I am not sure if they are willfully taking his words in the wrong context or misunderstood them in the first place (possibly because of the emotions involved).

He said that he denounces others putting words in his Jewish mouth and using his Jewishness as a political tool in a violent conflict, not that he denounces being a Jew like everyone going after him is paraphrasing him as saying.