Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I picked this up in the sale. Is it reasonably playable on Steam Deck, or does it require keyboard/mouse?

i think you probably want kbm. there are a whole lotta menus with fiddly little crap to click on. you might be able to get away with doing some touchscreen commands, though. it is a little more convenient to be able to use a numpad, though

KirbyKhan posted:

I started playing on the Stable branch on a new profile recently. There's such a big difference between a maxed out city and a tutorial fresh city. I've completed the first cycle and did the seal map and it's a silly fun boss right of a city builder.

yeah i just did that myself, had a chuckle at the seal seal but i didn't get started on the seal until i was like 70% through with reputation so i ended up with like 100 villagers cranking out all kinds of products just buying out traders' entire inventories with 8 woodcutter camps doing multiple dangerous glades at the same time. fun taste of what a big old settlement can potentially be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Ytlaya posted:

I picked this up in the sale. Is it reasonably playable on Steam Deck, or does it require keyboard/mouse?

I like the deck controls a lot, they put in some fun little haptic stuff and it feels nice

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
thinking about the idea of Balatro-likes

Blackjack Balatro

War Balatro

Roulette Balatro

Claw Machine Balatro

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Blackjack Balatro

War Balatro

Roulette Balatro

Claw Machine Balatro

with some thought all of these could be implemented into standard balatro fairly seamlessly

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
how about Bozo the Clown skeeball Balatro.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Blackjack Balatro

War Balatro

Roulette Balatro

Claw Machine Balatro

I want Chess Balatro

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

BalatGo

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Real hurthling! posted:

you need dualsense to use half the options in helldivers so i didnt gently caress with them

I've been playing around with it a little using a wired DS4 (I don't think gyro works over Bluetooth for some reason). I thought I had a decent set up after tinkering around with it in the tutorial, but when I unplugged and plugged it back in, everything felt really floaty.

When it was working, it felt pretty good, it was just a bitch finding settings that worked well. There's also no button to reset your view like in Splatoon, so that took some getting used to.

I restarted my PC and now the game runs at, like, 15 FPS...

More testing is required, I guess.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

tried out the demo for mullet mad jack today. it's extremely simple, at least on the difficutly i played, but fun enough in sub-minute bursts and the art style captures at least the memory of its target time period. then i beat a 'robot billionaire' boss and saw this screen:

:thunk:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Chard posted:

tried out the demo for mullet mad jack today. it's extremely simple, at least on the difficutly i played, but fun enough in sub-minute bursts and the art style captures at least the memory of its target time period. then i beat a 'robot billionaire' boss and saw this screen:

:thunk:

I watched a playthrough of the demo and it looks like a laugh. I've had it wishlisted since then

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Don't worry, it's just a Sheriff's star

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Davethulhu posted:

Don't worry, it's just a Sheriff's star

whatcha playin lately guy

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
this year is so crazy for games that everyone just fuckin forgot about yakuza 8 already

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Stefan Prodan posted:

this year is so crazy for games that everyone just fuckin forgot about yakuza 8 already

nah just trying to wrap up rogue trader first

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Stefan Prodan posted:

I think it's just that most of the people interested in Y8 were also interested in FF7 Rebirth, which they then played immediately after.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

pizza tower didn't win soundtrack of the year awards haha

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

If this blows your mind, you should see what Psaro the Manslayer from Dragon Quest 4 looks like:

https://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Psaro_(Character)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Tried the demo for the Dark Souls Archthrones mod and it’s really impressive so far.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

... to the polls!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Ytlaya posted:

Is this also true for characters like Puar? Or just the humanoid animal people.

Just the humanoid animals, puar is a monster person which make up 1-2% of humanity

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm now Vegeta after he killed the Namek village. I see at least 4 dead children here.

I also got my rear end kicked against Dodoria soon before this, and only won by guzzling healing items. The boss enemies have so few openings and do so much damage, and I have no idea how to reasonably avoid a lot of their attacks. The contrast between Dodoria owning me followed by the cutscene of Vegeta effortlessly killing him was very silly, like the opposite of the Trails of Cold Steel "winning a fight and losing in a cutscene" problem.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
beat Blood West, great game, ending was kinda a tad rushed/bad, maybe woulda enjoyed 1 more chapter but tis a great boomer shoot. very easy game if you have remotely any M+KB skills, i think i only died a few times at the start and accidentally getting mauled through a wall, but that's ok

a+ recommend. very satisfying just plinking everyone with deagle and shotguns, the most important thing for a shooter is to have good kickass feeling guns and it does.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Buck Wildman posted:

whatcha playin lately guy

Just finished playing NaissanceE. It's a weird, shortish (3 hours or so) puzzle platformer that takes place in a sometimes vast, sometimes constrained monochromatic liminal space. It's also free.

The "sheriff's star" thing is a callback to this

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Stefan Prodan posted:

the game is huge and I have a job. I'm still at chapter 11.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
speaking of boomer shooters, the system shock game SELACO is finally coming out in a few months. about drat time. i had mixed but overall positive feelings from the demo several years ago.

should be good if they've been refining it the past few years

e: wait, its a fuckign early access release and wont actually be done till 2026. lol what the hell

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Blyatro

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

gradenko_2000 posted:

Blackjack Balatro

War Balatro

Roulette Balatro

Claw Machine Balatro

Someone already made a steam page for blackjack Balatro

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Horizon: Forbidden West I'd a good game.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

free mega city 5

lmao

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

free mega city 5

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Stefan Prodan posted:

Personally I probably would have played it if I hadn't been sitting on Chained Echoes in my library for months and wanted to finally play it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Stefan Prodan posted:

never been a better time to be a gamer

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Stefan Prodan posted:

and to think we were all going "there's no way 2024 is going to have as many bangers as 2023"

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Claw Machine Balatro
something about the idea of finding weird ways to cheat a game that often tries to cheat the player sounds appealing

like that one Simpsons gag where the claw rips out the machine's screws

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
starfield

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

it was when i started building a base on a planet that i realised there was no point in the base. This made me realise the game had no point at all. You work towards nothing which they kinda internalised by having you just restart everything as part of the main plot.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Grey Fox posted:

something about the idea of finding weird ways to cheat a game that often tries to cheat the player sounds appealing

like that one Simpsons gag where the claw rips out the machine's screws

one of the best types of game

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

it was when i started building a base on a planet that i realised there was no point in the base. This made me realise the game had no point at all. You work towards nothing which they kinda internalised by having you just restart everything as part of the main plot.

so crazy to me. it would be cool to have the bases you built in another "universe" still be there and be like abandoned and waiting to be activated for you in a new game plus. it would go along with the certain events/characters echoing across all of these universes/dimensions/timelines. no one would be upset by this except for the most pedantic of games that need a lore-based "why" for every single mechanic in the game.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
to have a game with all the sorts of mechanics that encourage long-term end game play but then also put them in direct opposition to a new game plus mechanic that wipes out all the work you did on them... lol

that's AAA design bby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/prince_leor/status/1768738206839713922 what the gently caress