Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

1glitch0 posted:

Whether or not they were all active or good that specific year, that time in WCW had a killer roster. It was an incredibly good roster before Hogan wandered in. I think what makes AEW's current roster the best of all time is the ceiling is higher with guys like Ospreay, Jay White, Okada, and the Bucks and, more importantly at the lower end you have jobbers like Evil Uno and Johnny TV or loving [b]RVD who are wildly better than the lower card of early 90s WCW.[\b]

Time is a flat circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

VideoWitch posted:

Honestly I'm a little surprised that someone still bothers to send Nasty the fast nationals
It's WWE via their PR department. This isn't a secret.

When all of the fast nationals drama first started with the Rampage ratings, they sent the numbers to a bunch of wrestling media people. Now, and of itself, there isn't necessarily anything inherently wrong with getting Nielsen data from a promotion, even if it's about a rival promotion, as long as it's accurate. But it soon became clear that WWE was only sending the fast nationals out for weeks where Rampage was down or below a certain threshold (like 500,000 viewers in P2+), at which point a bunch of the reporters they were feeding the numbers realized what game WWE was playing and refused to continue to take part. Sean Ross Sapp has been very open about this.

It seems like WWE specifically decided to do it for Rampage and later Collision because they're weekend shows where the final Nielsen numbers don't come in the next day. For Friday/Rampage, they come in Monday afternoon, and for Saturday/Collision, they come in on Tuesday morning. So the idea is that, since the fast nationals generally come in lower than the final numbers, the first thing that's out there is the lower number. Even now, though, WWE still skips sending out the fast nationals when Collision is up week over week.

Where it gets extra stupid is that:

1. Cable fast nationals cost extra beyond the base Nielsen subscription and a lot of companies don't bother paying for them.
2. Konuwa, for reasons I've never understood, does not write a Forbes Contributor Network blog about the fast nationals.

Here's the thing: Forbes Contributor Network lets the writers post whatever they want without editorial approval. They just require the writer to call dibs on the topic first in Slack. It's not like he's pitching these and getting vetoed. And they run on a pay-per-click/ad revenue share model, with a minimum payout of $250 if you write at least five articles in a calendar month. (There used to be a 7 articles for $500 tier, but Forbes dropped that tier as a COVID budget cut in May 2020.) Konuwa always goes for more than five per month and is thus trying to squeeze out whatever extra money he can, and yet he never puts his only actual original reporting on Forbes. (And he doesn't have a blue check on Twitter, so he hasn't paid for "verification"/enabled monetization on there, either.) It's bizarre, and it means that WWE is paying something like $1,000/week solely to troll AEW on Twitter through...this guy.

What I can't tell you is if WWE knows that Forbes Contributor Network is distinct from legacy Forbes. At least when I started writing there in August 2019 for the extra $500/month — in large part because I got told something that (correctly) indicated that Deadspin wasn't long for this world — one of the WWE PR flacks who's still there congratulated me for the gig as if he thought I was writing for legacy Forbes. Although I'm uniquely situated because, months later, the Forbes staffer who historically did the highest paid wrestler list around WrestleMania recommended me to replace him in doing that list for legacy Forbes when he left for another job, and I got paid $2,500 for that. I honestly don't know if there are any other Forbes Contributor Network writers who graduated to writing for legacy Forbes, whether on the sports blog or in general.

Anyway, yes,l the whole thing is very stupid.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cavauro posted:

i wish it was Busted Opie Radio

This is my dream.

Or him doing fast food reviews with Bubba.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Cavauro posted:

i wish it was Busted Opie Radio

That would be hilarious. Opie should pivot to being an anti-AEW grifter, he'd fit right in

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/bullyray5150/status/1769363187986514407

I honestly don't think you have any room to talk on neck-beards, Bully Ray.

The only way they could make this less appealing to me to bother watching would be to add konnan

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

1glitch0 posted:

Whether or not they were all active or good that specific year, that time in WCW had a killer roster. It was an incredibly good roster before Hogan wandered in. I think what makes AEW's current roster the best of all time is the ceiling is higher with guys like Ospreay, Jay White, Okada, and the Bucks and, more importantly at the lower end you have jobbers like Evil Uno and Johnny TV or loving RVD who are wildly better than the lower card of early 90s WCW.

Horrific downplaying of Sgt. Buddy Lee Parker.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

Horrific downplaying of Sgt. Buddy Lee Parker.

No, no, he was right where he deserves to be

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1glitch0 posted:

Whether or not they were all active or good that specific year, that time in WCW had a killer roster. It was an incredibly good roster before Hogan wandered in. I think what makes AEW's current roster the best of all time is the ceiling is higher with guys like Ospreay, Jay White, Okada, and the Bucks and, more importantly at the lower end you have jobbers like Evil Uno and Johnny TV or loving RVD who are wildly better than the lower card of early 90s WCW.

I think whether or not they were active or good has a lot to do with if WCW had a killer roster, but three of the people on that list not even being signed to WCW and only doing a few dates (Shiny Has Him to had two matches in WCW that year) makes it a very weak argument. Add in that Gordy and Dr. Death were part timers who focused more on All Japan and it looks even worse.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

MassRafTer posted:

I think whether or not they were active or good has a lot to do with if WCW had a killer roster, but three of the people on that list not even being signed to WCW and only doing a few dates (Shiny Has Him to had two matches in WCW that year) makes it a very weak argument. Add in that Gordy and Dr. Death were part timers who focused more on All Japan and it looks even worse.

I think general memory of that time in WCW all those guys were around. It might not pass Meltzer rigor but if you asked me who was in WCW around 1992 and I didn't have wikipedia or autism at my disposal it sounds pretty correct.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

Doesn't Gordy just outright bail back to AJPW half way through the year?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1glitch0 posted:

I think general memory of that time in WCW all those guys were around. It might not pass Meltzer rigor but if you asked me who was in WCW around 1992 and I didn't have wikipedia or autism at my disposal it sounds pretty correct.

I don't think you need "Meltzer or autism" to look at that list and go "wait three of those guys were from New Japan..."

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://www.f4wonline.com/podcasts/punch-out/jnpo-aew-q4-investors-call-wrestlenomics-brandon-thurston-tony-khan

Brandon Thurston did a fantasy investors call for AEW.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/bullyray5150/status/1769363187986514407

I honestly don't think you have any room to talk on neck-beards, Bully Ray.

he does seem awfully triggered

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
Pretty sure ‘92 WCW had Arachnaman on the roster, and I’m not sure I could love an AEW superstar as much as him.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Integrated Houston posted:

Pretty sure ‘92 WCW had Arachnaman on the roster, and I’m not sure I could love an AEW superstar as much as him.

But 1990 had art barr as the juicer, that deserves consideration

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

This is some loving bizarre-rear end behavior

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
On one hand, the endless churn for content is real

On the other, if someone did this for WWE, it would be rightly castigated

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

quote:

The PR disaster that was Tony Khan's post-Worlds End response to the Chris Jericho situation

Yeah, Tony wearing a funny hat while answering a loaded question about an issue that completely melted away was a "PR disaster" in this, the year 2024, when the most famous wrestling promoter in history was caught in a rape and sex trafficking scandal.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Even if you don't include the Vince stuff, which is an insane to say but still, Tony Khan being asked a series question while he was wearing a silly hat is still nowhere near as bad as Triple H going "Eh I didn't bother reading the lawsuit that I was on the board investigating, who cares anyway LOOK HOW MUCH MONEY WE MADE THIS WEEKEND!!"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!

MassRafTer posted:

most of those guys are wrestlers that got big in other companies and not WCW lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Integrated Houston posted:

Poor Brad Armstrong. One of the best wrestlers on their roster and all they could ever do was 'stick a mask on him, I guess.'

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

1glitch0 posted:

Yeah, Tony wearing a funny hat while answering a loaded question about an issue that completely melted away was a "PR disaster" in this, the year 2024, when the most famous wrestling promoter in history was caught in a rape and sex trafficking scandal.

The pr disaster which turned out to be a fabrication by cm punks pet muck raker

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

cagliostr0 posted:

Which is such bullshit, Jericho has plenty of valid poo poo for someone to call him on, why make poo poo up

Ask him where his wife was on Jan 6th 2021

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

cagliostr0 posted:

Hausman was pretty fuckin' quiet about Corporate Officers #1 through #4 being named, although he has had the time to write about Kevin Kelly getting fired.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
Thurston is oddly respected for being a guy who imo has been not so subtly trying to get in on that AEW is doomed grift

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Poor Brad Armstrong. One of the best wrestlers on their roster and all they could ever do was 'stick a mask on him, I guess.'

He killed it every time. RIP Badstreet, the greatest Freebird.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

mooseinfants posted:

Thurston is oddly respected for being a guy who imo has been not so subtly trying to get in on that AEW is doomed grift

Nate Silver effect

Act as if everything is backed by hard data and it becomes very hard to argue against, whether your conclusions are evidence based or not

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mooseinfants posted:

Thurston is not at all trying to do that.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The guy who part trained Daniel Garcia is not getting into the AEW should be killed grift

However, he does enter a foolish fantasy land occasionally with AEW because there's very little publicly available material on its financial health. Somehow it always involves extrapolating from WWE.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 18, 2024

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Didn't Thurston work with one of AEW's original hires who's still high up in the company as well? And yeah he's not a doomer or getting in on the grift. He just made some cringe content and who doesn't when you have a podcast online?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Didn't Thurston work with one of AEW's original hires who's still high up in the company as well? And yeah he's not a doomer or getting in on the grift. He just made some cringe content and who doesn't when you have a podcast online?

Wrestlenomics was originally started by Mookieghana & yes, he was a very early AEW hire. Pretty sure they knew each other from the Buffalo indy scene.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
very early as in TK hired him first

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

IIRC Chris Harrington has been working for Tony Khan since July of 2018.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

so you're telling me thurston is the janetty?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

JUNGLE BOY posted:

so you're telling me thurston is the janetty?

Yes.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The Marty Jannetty of wrestling figures who use spreadsheets.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Daniel Bryan died after Brian Danielson kicked his head in, weird that that person hadn't heard about it

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

That moment was so good. I simply can't understand how someone could not like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://x.com/yeahrevolution_/status/1769752267517800767?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g