Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

OgNar posted:

This has started popping up.
Wonder what kinda of troubles this may cause his or his daughters products manufactured there.

Trump launched CIA covert influence operation against China
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trump-launched-cia-covert-influence-operation-against-china-2024-03-14/

This was probably leaked by Trump to make himself look stronger against China given the news of his bank accounts, income and etc...

Also, I think 'Trump launched' is probably doing a lot of work for an event which was someone holding out a sharpie and a piece of paper to sign while Trump was watching TV and he only found out what he'd set in motion months later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Elephant Ambush posted:

She doesn't care as long as the grift money keeps rolling in

I don't even think she super cares about that.

I think she just wants attention and to piss people off. She never grew out of her "4chan" phase.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Neito posted:

I don't even think she super cares about that.

I think she just wants attention and to piss people off. She never grew out of her "4chan" phase.

I think while she's happy to piss people off, she genuinely enjoys getting people hurt and scared and has nothing really to her character except hate.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Murgos posted:

This was probably leaked by Trump to make himself look stronger against China given the news of his bank accounts, income and etc...

Also, I think 'Trump launched' is probably doing a lot of work for an event which was someone holding out a sharpie and a piece of paper to sign while Trump was watching TV and he only found out what he'd set in motion months later.

Yeah. Trump and RWM will be touting this a positive in about a day if they're not already.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I think while she's happy to piss people off, she genuinely enjoys getting people hurt and scared and has nothing really to her character except hate.

Yeah, she's just another right winger to whom the cruelty is the point. She wants to get people hurt. She's found a soft target (LGBTQ+ folks, especially trans people) but if it wasn't them then she'd find someone else to direct people to go after. Hate is her entire personality.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
e: nevermind
Here have a thread of Trump propaganda

Theres a video of Trump promising a bloodbath if he gets elected, but its out of context because its clipped and he's talking about car manufacturing.
Not sure how a bloodbath can ensue there, but I mean, he's a moron.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1769093346557895044

OgNar fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 17, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So apparently JK Rowling is a full on Holocaust denier now?

https://www.salon.com/2024/03/15/jk-rowling-trans-nazis-holocaust-denial/

She may not be denying that the Holocaust happened but she is denying certain stuff that happened, happened, which is considered all the same as Holocaust denial.

If you were holding out hope that your favorite children's book author was just being misunderstood or is allowed to have her own poo poo opinions or trying to do the "I enjoy the books, not the author" thing then keep in mind that she's a highly famous and public person with money to create influence and people listen to her.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

So apparently JK Rowling is a full on Holocaust denier now?

https://www.salon.com/2024/03/15/jk-rowling-trans-nazis-holocaust-denial/

She may not be denying that the Holocaust happened but she is denying certain stuff that happened, happened, which is considered all the same as Holocaust denial.

If you were holding out hope that your favorite children's book author was just being misunderstood or is allowed to have her own poo poo opinions or trying to do the "I enjoy the books, not the author" thing then keep in mind that she's a highly famous and public person with money to create influence and people listen to her.

It’s wild that she made a central part of her book a Nazi aryan analogue and spent thousands of pages combating that ideology to just end up sympathetic to a significant portion of it.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Murgos posted:

It’s wild that she made a central part of her book a Nazi aryan analogue and spent thousands of pages combating that ideology to just end up sympathetic to a significant portion of it.

no
you see,
voldemort was the woke

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Murgos posted:

I wonder if this is one of those things where if you re-read it with the knowledge that she's a holocaust denying transphobe then all the signs that were there but didn't stick out will show up in bright neon lights?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Boris Galerkin posted:

I wonder if this is one of those things where if you re-read it with the knowledge that she's a holocaust denying transphobe then all the signs that were there but didn't stick out will show up in bright neon lights?

i also think access to money turns neolibs into nazis with ease

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Boris Galerkin posted:

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I think people weren't wrong when they saw antisemitic references in the goblins, but I think the Slytherin are also pulling from the same ideas. Honestly, I don't even think it's intentional. It's just the synthesis of all kinds of stories and ideas that she'd been exposed to in her life, and this stuff usually doesn't come with a warning label that it's weird Nazi conspiracy theory bullshit.

I think when you incorporate enough of these ideas into your worldview, it doesn't feel like you're being racist, it just feels like you're saying normal stuff and then a bunch of weird people start getting mad at you.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Rowling is a fascist. She pals around with other fascist, including at least one who self-identifies as a fascist. She wrote a movie where the villains' nefarious plot was to prevent the Holocaust. She made goblins anti-semitic caricatures that unironically make those of Der Sturmer seem subtle.

I strongly suspect that if Rowling does not go "full" Holocaust denial in the explicit "it did not happen/it did not happen to the extent claimed" before her death it will be because she died suddenly in the near future. Honestly it's only shocking that it's taken this long.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Shaun has a like two hour video going thorugh Harry Potter with this in mind. I've never read the books so can't really comment either way but othersm might find it interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1iaJWSwUZs

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The Shrieking Shack podcast get into a lot of it.

Like honestly if we didn't have mountains of evidence of what a monstrous idiot she is, I unironically believe future generations might consider Harry Potter a definitive work of political satire like A Modest Proposal or something. It's incredible how, by sheer accident, Rowling created the most all-encompassing and accurate satire of centrism/liberalism I'm aware of. And even predicted Trump and the liberal reaction to him perfectly - the Voldemort comparisons are correct in that both men are largely apolitical narcissists who co-opt an existing fascist movement and then, when they are defeated, all the liberals celebrate and claim victory even though neither the existing fascist movement nor the systemic issues that gave them power are ever addressed. Noseless man bad!

Like these are all unironic things that happen in the books:
-When we are introduced to the concept of wizard racism, Harry has no thought about it being bad. His only concern is that he fears people may think he is racist.
-Harry decides to become a cop after he has the idea suggested to him by a Nazi.
-Harry notices a super racist statue in the Ministry for Magic, showing that the problems in society are structural and far deeper than just the Death Eaters. This is never addressed, the rot is never again mentioned.
-Anything involving goblins or house elves.

And I could go on. It's honestly kind of demoralizing as gently caress. By accident Rowling wrote something so brilliant I don't think many could do it if they tried.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Shaun has a like two hour video going thorugh Harry Potter with this in mind. I've never read the books so can't really comment either way but othersm might find it interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1iaJWSwUZs

Before I spend 2 hours of my life watching this, who is Shaun and why should I care what he has to say? Genuine question as I have no idea who he is or what his channel is about.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
guy who does a lot of analytical video essays and was (is?) a goon

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Before I spend 2 hours of my life watching this, who is Shaun and why should I care what he has to say? Genuine question as I have no idea who he is or what his channel is about.

His videos are always very well researched and (relatively) concisely summarized in a manner that flows well and builds upon his thesis over time. They're usually on par with what I would call a good academic paper. He's also got a very dry humor which I find charming. His video on Palestine is also very well done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xottY-7m3k

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
And if you grew up with children's media featuring/narrated by Ringo Starr, his accent is oddly calming.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yes, absolutely. I did just that and it’s ALL OVER.

Also racism and misogyny.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

-Harry notices a super racist statue in the Ministry for Magic, showing that the problems in society are structural and far deeper than just the Death Eaters. This is never addressed, the rot is never again mentioned.

I like when the nazis turn the statue into muggles painfully holding up the throne of a wizard, Harry fondly remembers the old racist statue of a bunch of non-wizard beings looking up to the wizard in admiration.

It’s not treated like that in the last appearance though. As if something broke her brain after writing book 5.

Don’t get me wrong though. The lovely signs are there throughout the series.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I really didn't notice the racism in Roald Dahl's books when reading them as a small child. Rereading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as an adult was... enlightening about Dahl as a person.

:yikes:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

enahs posted:

His videos are always very well researched and (relatively) concisely summarized in a manner that flows well and builds upon his thesis over time. They're usually on par with what I would call a good academic paper. He's also got a very dry humor which I find charming. His video on Palestine is also very well done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xottY-7m3k

this may be true but he's still participating in capitalism / long video meta. also im like 9999% convinced most of video essays could be transcribed word for word and be sub 20 min reads.

2nd Rate Poster
Mar 25, 2004

i started a joke

PhazonLink posted:

this may be true but he's still participating in capitalism / long video meta. also im like 9999% convinced most of video essays could be transcribed word for word and be sub 20 min reads.

Not a capitalism participater! I'll never watch another vid again.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

PhazonLink posted:

this may be true but he's still participating in capitalism

And yet you participate in society. I am very smart.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

PhazonLink posted:

Lol oh goons

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Capitalism is when videos are long.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

PhazonLink posted:

Come the gently caress on, man.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Listened to that video on Harry Potter. It was a good video and pointed out a lot of things that I didn't notice as a kid reading the books.

Regarding the name Cho Chang… I always thought Cho was a shortened and anglicized version of the name Chiung, which is a real given name in Chinese. There are also other Chinese names where people just go by an anglicized form usually for the non-Chinese speakers benefit. I have a cousin whose name sounds kinda like Kelly, so she just goes by Kelly because nobody is going to pronounce her name right. In a way I imagine it'd be like a Thomas who just goes by Tom.

But given everything else we know now, yeah Rowling probably did go "what sounds do Chinese people make?" and name a character like that.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 18, 2024

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

PhazonLink posted:

Oh my god that Bors comic became sentient

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
It's ok to say "tl;dw" and be on your merry way.

Good vid though. There's a reason it's Shaun's most viewed.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Boris Galerkin posted:

Listened to that video on Harry Potter. It was a good video and pointed out a lot of things that I didn't notice as a kid reading the books.

Regarding the name Cho Chang… I always thought Cho was a shortened and anglicized version of the name Chiung, which is a real given name in Chinese. There are also other Chinese names where people just go by an anglicized form usually for the non-Chinese speakers benefit. I have a cousin whose name sounds kinda like Kelly, so she just goes by Kelly because nobody is going to pronounce her name right. In a way I imagine it'd be like a Thomas who just goes by Tom.

But given everything else we know now, yeah Rowling probably did go "what sounds do Chinese people make?" and name a character like that.

I can’t really provide the evidence without technically doxxing a bunch of people but have you tried…googling terms like “Cho [Chinese surname of your choice]”. It’s pretty clear that the name “Cho Chang” is not so absurd as to count as automatic proof of JK Rowling’s racism.

Edit - sorry I know you’re taking a pretty even handed approach but even so it seems to me like you’re kind of reserving judgment on whether the name is inherently stupid and impossible. It clearly isn’t.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 18, 2024

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You don't need to "well actually" in defense of Rowling, someone who gave every single jewish character in their universe the last name of Goldstein.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Oh my god that Bors comic became sentient

I don't know if I'd go that far.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

E: never mind misunderstood

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 18, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The Artificial Kid posted:

I can’t really provide the evidence without technically doxxing a bunch of people but have you tried…googling terms like “Cho [Chinese surname of your choice]”. It’s pretty clear that the name “Cho Chang” is not so absurd as to count as automatic proof of JK Rowling’s racism.

Edit - sorry I know you’re taking a pretty even handed approach but even so it seems to me like you’re kind of reserving judgment on whether the name is inherently stupid and impossible. It clearly isn’t.

I don't need to google anything to know that the name Cho isn't absurd for a Chinese name in a western context. Most of my post you quoted was me explaining why. If it wasn't clear I was heavily implying that I speak this language.

But also given everything else we know about Rowling I'm not going to give her the benefit of the doubt, and neither should you or anyone.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Mar 18, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

PhazonLink posted:

video essays are for putting on in the background when you're doing something else. a text-only read demands your full attention and is less flexible in that regard

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sometimes I do this for novels, even when they don't have problematic authors. It was a fun/depressing mental exercise in high school english class to come up with the most alarming allegorical interpretation (that even I knew was baloney) and actually back it up in a way that seemed plausible. It was also my passive-aggressive way to complain about assigned reading. Ugh

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I mean, yes, you could obviously explain away any one problematic aspect of Harry Potter pretty easily, but if you are not a moron and able to understand things in context, the fact that there are SO MANY of them, combined with JK Rowling's recent and historical public statements, these things can't all have been accidents and I think it's completely fair to criticize all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
See, I was lucky enough to never get into those books in the first place because my dad thought they promoted satanism. A decade later I opened up the first one and got halfway through because it seemed like a narcissistic fairy tale, just generic child wish fulfillment.