Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Also from I've learned second hand from DD1 NewGame+ could conceivably have the legs that Bethesda wished Starfield had, with the whole endless cycle thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
The map's four times the size of the original. "Too short" probably isn't going to a problem.

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde
I have a good idea who my main peeps are going to be, but I have a roster in case my duo doesn't gel well enough.

My starting duo, Allison, and non-canonical Cio from Kill Six Billion Demons.

And the back up: White Chain and Incubus from the same, a sweaty meat mountain who looks like Tom Selleck, Dour Santa Claus, and a cool grandma.

If this game is like the first, I'm totally OK with starting over just to try a different combo of characters. Can't have any what-ifs!

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
I just finished Yakuza 8, mainly so it was done with before draggy doggies 2 arrived, and i thought i'd have a go at a Kiryu. The tattoo is :effort: but it's not like it's going to get seen ever. A thing I noticed is if you think you can't improve a character any more but you just can't put your finger on why, have a flick through the skin textures, they carry a lot more with them than you'd think.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 18, 2024

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

I said come in! posted:

Normally this would be very annoying, like God of War Ragnarok levels of annoying, but DD1's pawn dialogue managed to somehow add a lot of charm and personality to the game.

yeah it's so inane that it loops around into being endearing. it's still a very strange approach but it's certainly better than the player character narrating every action they take

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Also, your dumbass companion hollering "fire works well!" while getting eaten by a pack of wolves is a lot less annoying than some camera-hogging story NPC screaming at you how to fight the boss as if you were an idiot every five seconds non-stop without giving you any time to actually figure anything out yourself first.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Get up on the hydra's back, Arisen

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The magic Spearman is everything I've ever wanted from a fantasy rpg so I'm fuckin hyped. But I guess I can take a few minutes here and there to play magic archer or huge sword dude

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
from what leakers have been saying on the subreddit the pawn AI is absolutely bonkers and you fight a LOT, which rules. I still think there's definite potential in Trickster and I'm excited to try it out

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Mr. Baps posted:

Also, your dumbass companion hollering "fire works well!" while getting eaten by a pack of wolves is a lot less annoying than some camera-hogging story NPC screaming at you how to fight the boss as if you were an idiot every five seconds non-stop without giving you any time to actually figure anything out yourself first.

100%. Probably my least favorite part of God of War: Ragnarok, and it's not great in Horizon: Forbidden West either

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Just had my gaming PC crash then reboot to BIOS, subsequent restarts continue to reboot to bios. Hopefully I can get this thing running again before Friday, otherwise I better hope DD2 runs on the Deck.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am trying to complete the first game and I am currently on the Deny Salvation quest, which I am pretty sure is near the end. While the game is real fun at its best, I am feeling a bit of burn out slightly, though maybe it will pass once I get some sleep. I just wanted to confirm if I am near the end because I hear real good things about it.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Unlucky7 posted:

I am trying to complete the first game and I am currently on the Deny Salvation quest, which I am pretty sure is near the end. While the game is real fun at its best, I am feeling a bit of burn out slightly, though maybe it will pass once I get some sleep. I just wanted to confirm if I am near the end because I hear real good things about it.

Second-to-last mission of the main game. Third-to-last main mission of the game, in practice.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

I just wanted to confirm if I am near the end.

nyes

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
depends on if you want to skip out on the best part of the game IMO

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Pawn voices seem to be tied to inclinations. I'm not missing anything? That's going to be annoying initially.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
should be fine in DD2, they have WAY more pawn voice lines and will have conversations with each other and stuff. should be varied enough that it won't be nearly as annoying

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What about the number of voice actors?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Badly Jester posted:

Pawn voices seem to be tied to inclinations. I'm not missing anything? That's going to be annoying initially.

It might just be me, but the voices in this game sound kind of bad in general? Each vocation has like two voices, a masculine and feminine sounding one, that just kind of gets pitch shifted like six times and to me at least they all just have this really low quality echo to them that none of the other sounds in the character creator have.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, the pitch shift sounds kinda awful. Like there’s one for each that’s obviously the natural voice… then like four for each with real bad filters applied.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

It's similar to what they did for the first game, but I think they only had 4-5 voices in total?

With DD2 I expect they will have a heap of pawn-ish things for each vocation to say which are relevant specifically to it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I imagine there's less distinct voices this time because pawns are going to have like five times the dialogue too

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Looking at some of the leaker stuff, yeah, pawns have a LOT of dialogue now, including conversations with each other that are affected by their inclination. It's a bit of a shame there's only four of em, but considering the sheer volume it's very understandable. I just wish they hadn't bothered with the pitch shifted voices, they all sound terrible and you just know the optimized mage waifu pawn you hire is going to end up having an annoying maximum high pitched voice.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

No Dignity posted:

I imagine there's less distinct voices this time because pawns are going to have like five times the dialogue too

There's actually more distinct voices.

DD had 2 male and 2 female voices with pitch shifted up and down version. DDDA added 3 even more extreme pitched versions. That's 4 base voices and 20 pitch variants. The Arisen used the same voices, but that was limited to the grunts and such.

DD2 seems to have a male and female version for each of the 4 pawn personalities and 2 up and 2 down shifted. That's 8 base voices and 32 pitch variants. In addition there seem to be 2 male and 2 female Arisen voices with associated pitched versions, but it's unknown if they're anything more than grunts or if they're unique voices.

As far as I can see, the only real danger comes if one of the pawn personalities is so mechanically superior that everyone ends up using it exclusively. That seems unlikely though.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 18, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

As far as I can see, the only real danger comes if one of the pawn personalities is so mechanically superior that everyone ends up using it exclusively. That seems unlikely though.

I imagine that specific pawn classes will skew heavily towards using a specific inclination and thus voice.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There's an item that can give your pawn certain specializations, for example the one that makes them sort your inventory for you.

Art of Metamorphosis costs 500 RC.

Moves like Tusk Toss are now Core instead.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i took friday off so im hoping there's no weird poo poo that makes it unplayable. i have a pretty solid PC setup though so i'm not too worried. i think im gonna gently caress around w/ the char creator more the day before until i get something im satisfied with

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Finally poked around the character creator a bit and echoing that the hair options feel a bit limited next to how detailed everything else is, I’m struggling to make some character lookalike pawns and might just go with a generic pawn instead like I made in DD1

The character creators in team ninja’s recent games let you change the bangs and adjust hair length independently of the overall style which is a really nice feature I’d like to see more of.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

am i misunderstanding something, or with voices being tied to inclinations, does that mean our pawns' voices will change when their inclination does?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

am i misunderstanding something, or with voices being tied to inclinations, does that mean our pawns' voices will change when their inclination does?

I think that inclination are set now, so that the mage pawn you made won't start trying to climb monsters anymore trying to copy your assassin arisen.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The inclinations as currently presented in the demo are like baseline behaviors, which also determine what dialogue and personality your pawn will have. Given pawns talk to one another now I think it's locked in once picked.

But I imagine they still learn from you to some extent, within that behavior. And there's the thing where they can learn other behavioral quirks like translating elven or organizing your inventory for you.

It's probably a lot more involved than we know yet.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Wait, pawns can organize your inventory for you? Because I have a friend who has the messiest game inventories I've ever seen. He definitely needs that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

“A pawn’s idea of organization” is a terrifying concept though

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

It can't be more terrifying than my friend's. It basically sounds like an autosort, and he doesn't even use those.

(I agree though, if you're the type who already organizes your inventory, then coming back to see everything moved would be annoying.)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Clocks posted:

Wait, pawns can organize your inventory for you? Because I have a friend who has the messiest game inventories I've ever seen. He definitely needs that.

We don't exactly know what it entails other than that the pawn shuffles the items between your 4 characters to balance the weight load, at the very least.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I mean, couldn't it also be an abstraction and you just get more carrying weight?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

apparently no helmet hiding, as has become pretty standard.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Good. Helmet hiding is for cowards. If you want to see your pretty face you get to pay the pretty price of suboptimal armor coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Clocks posted:

Wait, pawns can organize your inventory for you?

It's a pawn specialization. It's part of how they have refined the inclination/knowledge system and refined how you choose what pawns you want.

There are specializations like translating elvish for you, healing the party with items so you don't have to have a mage or play MA, I think maybe one that automatically combines items, and I'm sure a bunch of others.