Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Something I've noticed is ill occasionally get an Autocannon reload that is only half the rounds but much quicker. Is this a bug or am I accidentally performing a half-reload without knowing how I did it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Arc Hammer posted:

Something I've noticed is ill occasionally get an Autocannon reload that is only half the rounds but much quicker. Is this a bug or am I accidentally performing a half-reload without knowing how I did it?

the autocannon can only load 5 rounds at a time, so if you're at <=5 you'll be able to load one 5 stripper clip, and at 0 you'll do two 5 stripper clips

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Arc Hammer posted:

The Autocannon reloads 5 rounds at a time. If your magazine is fully depleted, you'll do the full pair of 5-round clips + recharge. If you have 1-4 shots left, you'll load a single clip.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

It's like most guns with a magazine in the game, if you reload while there's still a round in the chamber it takes significantly less time to reload. It is a bit more awkward since it means you can't fill to the cap of 10 rounds unless you take the long reload since you reload 5 at a time.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Arc Hammer posted:

The autocannon can only reload in 5 round increments. If you have 5 or less rounds in the autocannon but more than 0 you will reload a 5 strip and its very very fast. The key to proper autocannoning is to reload after you have fired 5-9 shots. If you hit 0 you will put in 5, then rack the mechanism, then put in the next 5 and its very slow.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

RoyalScion posted:

It's like most guns with a magazine in the game, if you reload while there's still a round in the chamber it takes significantly less time to reload. It is a bit more awkward since it means you can't fill to the cap of 10 rounds unless you take the long reload since you reload 5 at a time.

Just reload on five if you want a full magazine. If I’m sitting on 6-7 rounds in a quiet moment and have some ammo to pick up I’ll fire into the sky to reload to full.

The trick with the autocannon is that you never want to empty it, because priming it takes longer than slotting in an entire clip. It’s super fast to reload if you don’t need to do that.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yes you still have to hit the radiators.

Bandire posted:

Pretty sure you have to hit them in the vents with the AC or will bounce off.

this doesnt seem that great then. impact grenades two shot the tank radiators too, scorcher takes them out at a distance with 7? or so shots, not sure exactly but its not too many. does it go through devastator shields and/or kill hulks anywhere you shoot them like the old railgun?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

The autocannon has 5 round clips that you shove in the top. If you're completely empty, then you shove in two during the reload, if not then you only put in one. That's also why you can't reload at all if you've only shot 1-4 rounds.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Kly posted:

this doesnt seem that great then. impact grenades two shot the tank radiators too, scorcher takes them out at a distance with 7? or so shots, not sure exactly but its not too many. does it go through devastator shields and/or kill hulks anywhere you shoot them like the old railgun?

Tanks and turrets are 3(ish?) shots to weak spots. The AC is very accurate at range and you can fire as fast as it takes to settle the reticle.

It doesn't go through a devastator shield, but a shield hit will stagger them. Easy kill with a follow up shot, but it can also easily just head shot them around the shield.

I'm not sure if the current railgun can one-shot hulks in the eye, but it takes two AC hits in the eye or two or three to the back.

There's no one gun that's best at everything obviously, but the Autocannon might be the most versatile.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Should start bringing the shield gen to bug missions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6mCIIGXV4w

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i've had a few weird bugs recently (only been playing for 1-2 weeks)

1. me and another group of 3 complete a mission. we go through the normal stats thing at the end.. except during the cutscene of the eagle flying back to the ship it said i failed to extract and gave me a mission failed screen. it looks like i kept my experience though.

2. i'll sometimes get stuck behind the row of pods when i go onto another persons ship and i can't leave until they start the mission.

also is there anyway to see what the mission is if you join late? i'll join a game where all 3 other people are already on the ground but i don't know what the mission is so i just go with my default loadout.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

A high charge unsafe rail gun shot can definitely still one shot a hulk in the face. I've been liking the AMR more and more recently but rail gun is still good against bots.

I feel like the Scorcher needs, like, one more mag. Or to get one or two more back from ammo pickups. I also just had a couple of instances of hitting basic bots in the arm or shoulder and not one shotting them with the Scorcher, you really want head, dead center chest, or waist shots.

E: ^^^^ You do still get basically all of the xp and requisition if you fail to extract, whether bugged or not, haven't had that bug before though. The only thing you lose by not extracting is a little xp bonus on the end screen and any samples that didn't make it on to the pelican. When it comes to reloading into the ship I've had plenty of bugs like ending up outside the ship or in the eagle bay behind the normal return to ship screen, etc. The one of being stuck behind the cryopods or whatever they are has been in since day one but that's another one I haven't seen in a long time, totally believe it's still in though. Also yeah there's no way of seeing the map or mission description if you quick load into a match too late, of all the random little bugs or other fuckery that's still in that's the one thing I want fixed most and as soon as possible. Game still stupid fun though.

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 18, 2024

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

i've had a few weird bugs recently (only been playing for 1-2 weeks)

1. me and another group of 3 complete a mission. we go through the normal stats thing at the end.. except during the cutscene of the eagle flying back to the ship it said i failed to extract and gave me a mission failed screen. it looks like i kept my experience though.

That happens when you don't put on your seatbelt in the pelican and die en route

Molrok
May 30, 2011

The Fattest PI posted:

That happens when you don't put on your seatbelt in the pelican and die en route

Due to excellent Helldiver performance the projected amount of casualties isn't being naturally met and thus the Pelican-1 pilots are tasked with ensuring the quotas are fulfilled.

It's just like letting that civilian #21 go in the rescue missions, when they try to get onboard of the shuttle (mission says get 20 fellas out and I'm here to make sure it's precisely 20).

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Tom Tucker posted:

It takes a special kind of game where a bullshit unexplained blue laser can appear and just delete you while you’re trying to do a mission and everyone agrees it’s just the coolest poo poo ever and gets so excited.

The game has a huge degree of “bullshit is part of the game” in a way few have since :xcom: so you can just gently caress with players by all of a sudden sometimes having flying enemies you’ve never introduced murder everyone and the players eat it up. Such good vibes.

The conspiracy theorizing that took over on Reddit wrt the blue ricochet shots from autocannons/plants has been hilarious to read lmao

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

In this wild west of non-functioning death report and patches being full of bugs and secret features and not getting detailed patch notes, some people are prone to certain kinds of wild speculation and superstition

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
I played a few games yesterday afternoon, but the game crashed on me twice in an hour on PS5. I rarely have other games do that. I hope they come with a patch to fix some of the issues soon, preferably the crashing, but also the friends list and the game forgetting my presets every time I enter. Will make for a much more enjoyable game. I don't even care about weapon and enemy balancing or even how the enter ship video always bugs out, just make the basic stuff work.

edit: since I enjoy other people's action video's, watch mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeIHQu5GT88

What a way to drop with a bang.

Sioux fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 18, 2024

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I really like Scorcher. But it's my gun. Ya'll can't use it.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah and since there's so many EATs around even a bunch of Bile titans will go down pretty fast unless literally no one else is picking up and shooting them.

Agreed. My best group so far had 2-3 of us with EATs and we'd all call them in liberally. It was hilarious when a bile titan would spawn while defending an objective because there'd be an immediate and steady flow of EATs slamming into it until it died. If we had to be anywhere for more than a minute there'd be at least a dozen just laying around plus the ones we were carrying on our backs lol. Missiles everywhere all the time

That was the first Suicide mission I got through without a single death on a team, it was pretty great.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Astrochicken posted:

I really like Scorcher. But it's my gun. Ya'll can't use it.

Nuh uh I called dibs

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
IDK why everyone is making a big deal about flying enemies, they've been in the game from the start. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...2ceff5efd2578d&

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Had a game today where we went in to eradicate some bugs. Went by pretty easy, they really toned this mission type down, barely any chargers spawned.

Then when we hit mission complete, an ion storm immediately started.

As far as we could tell, the ion storm disabling stratagems also disabled the evac node thingy from dropping from the sky, thereby preventing evacuation from being possible. Ion storm let up, still no evac spawned, so we just had a fun game of "what would helldivers pvp be like" for a bit

It was like helldiver Valhalla, killing 3 teammates gave you the reward of getting to call command and ask them for 3 more teammates to kill

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

The Breaker shotgun fuckin rocks. Feels good as hell.

Game rules

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I found an interesting exploit, if you reload the AM rifle and start picking up ammo boxes while still reloading your magazine count doesnt increase but you are effectively directly loading them into a massive invisible magazine

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Jeremor posted:

The Breaker shotgun fuckin rocks. Feels good as hell.

Game rules

It used to be much better, if you can believe it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The bug planet with ion storms has really great terrain (except for the ion storms.) Nice long lines of sight to find super samples or see patrols coming. Lots of tall rock formations chargers can't destroy or climb.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

The teammate needs to equip the backpack that comes down with it, not you. Good luck getting someone to do that then follow you around to reload every time you need one, I wouldn't even try it with my friends I use voice with while playing, they'll inevitably be 100m away through no fault of their own when I need to reload. We've done it when two of use are using auto cannons though. You really should be able to team reload from the other person's pack, it's right there!
I've seen it suggested that it should be possible for a teammate to reload you if you're wearing the backpack. it seems so obvious to me that this is how it should work. You could even make it slightly faster still if the reloader is the one with the backpack, if you want to reward duo squads.

As it is the game does not really make it practical for two people to be that close to eachother at all times, and it's a big ask of pubbies to carry a backpack purely for the benefit or someone else. It's basically unrealistic as a sacrifice when you consider how potent some of the backpack options are.

Darox posted:

I still dislike the railgun change, they made safe mode pathetic. I’ve always used unsafe mode but now when I pick up a new railgun and accidentally charge a safe shot before switching I’ve basically thrown away that ammo. It bounces off everything and even if I point it at something unarmoured it does no damage.

Anyone who says this is a bugs only player trying to convince others that they’re cool.
Agreed. I'd always used unsafe mode, but it seems like the penalty for using it (blowing yourself up) is now disproportionate given how useless safe mode is. They should perhaps change it so hitting 100% puts the gun in an overheat mode that takes an extended reload animation to clear.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Mar 18, 2024

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

AtillatheBum posted:

IDK why everyone is making a big deal about flying enemies, they've been in the game from the start. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...2ceff5efd2578d&

The fall damage never kills them but when you accidentally resupply jump your health bar better be full.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I've really grown to enjoy the expendable anti tank launcher and I've gotten quite good at sniping chargers with them, I love how in games you get used to things in it and then get better at it. Game owns.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Strong Sauce posted:

also is there anyway to see what the mission is if you join late? i'll join a game where all 3 other people are already on the ground but i don't know what the mission is so i just go with my default loadout.
Been trying to figure that one out as well. I suck at guessing the mission from loadouts.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Spudd posted:

I've really grown to enjoy the expendable anti tank launcher and I've gotten quite good at sniping chargers with them, I love how in games you get used to things in it and then get better at it. Game owns.

Best feeling is firing one at a Bile Titans head, then a second flies over your shoulder from a buddy who picked up the extra reflexively, then SUDDENLY a third smashes in for a killshot from another unannounced member of Team EAT.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

until it survives

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

True. Ive started bringing orbital rail due to their bullshit to soften em

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

My coolest Bile Titan kill was when one had 2-3 Bile Spewers under it. I popped the Spewers with an autocannon and their death explosions brought the Bile Titan down too.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
More Guns should give me two orbital rail shots :colbert:

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

And 9 more volleys on the 380 :argh:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

i was disappointed it did not give 2 precision shots either. it does make the chaingun barrage even better for defense map though, it can gently caress up all trash and even damage heavies any time there is a choke it can be pretty useful, or just toss it right on a breach/bot drop

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Games so much fun man. Stuck in my head now

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
AMR is becoming my low key favourite anti bot gun on 9 because it absolutely fucks up hulks and they're to only thing I feel like I'm always searching for an answer to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

This, but it should be two simultaneous, independent shots when you call it in. Toast a Charger and a Bile Titan, have fun with it.