Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Freddy’s letterman jacket that says “gently caress you” on the back goes too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

I have watched the “SEND. MORE. PARAMEDICS” scene at least fifty times and I still snort-laughed remembering it just now.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Xiahou Dun posted:

I have watched the “SEND. MORE. PARAMEDICS” scene at least fifty times and I still snort-laughed remembering it just now.

Also the inspiration for the name of one of my favourite bands, Leeds based Zombiecore thrashers send more paramedics.

I’ve been making a sort of analogue “channel” that plays old horror movies and episodes of old tv shows I was hoping there might be a copy of the TV edit of return out there somewhere but no luck

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

DARK HARVEST is a heck of a lot of fun in the first half until it slows to an rear end-clenching stop to moralize about something no one could possibly be on the other side of.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

DARK HARV moralize about something no one could possibly be on the other side of.

which is??

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

which is??

Spoilers for the whole second half I guess: the town's Shirly Jackson obsession with The Lottery to keep the town prosperous, but we never see what sort of actual prospering they're doing. Half the town lives in abject poverty, forced to kill to join the Joneses. So like, obviously bad. The alternative (the town is wiped out in a second dust bowl) is never properly established, I guess. Just a lot of vague gesturing at a one-off event.

It just seems that the answer is so obviously "end the Sawtooth Jack Run" and literally everyone would be better off and so the "we've always done it this way" rings so, so hollow. There's definitely movies that have done this sort of thing well (Pleasantville comes to mind) where you can, if you squint at it, see where the 'wrong' side is coming from. But I just can't see it in DH.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shrecknet posted:

DARK HARVEST is a heck of a lot of fun in the first half until it slows to an rear end-clenching stop to moralize about something no one could possibly be on the other side of.

I mean the moral is you should take head pigeons seriously and more organs means more human

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Shrecknet posted:

Spoilers for the whole second half I guess: the town's Shirly Jackson obsession with The Lottery to keep the town prosperous, but we never see what sort of actual prospering they're doing. Half the town lives in abject poverty, forced to kill to join the Joneses. So like, obviously bad. The alternative (the town is wiped out in a second dust bowl) is never properly established, I guess. Just a lot of vague gesturing at a one-off event.

It just seems that the answer is so obviously "end the Sawtooth Jack Run" and literally everyone would be better off and so the "we've always done it this way" rings so, so hollow. There's definitely movies that have done this sort of thing well (Pleasantville comes to mind) where you can, if you squint at it, see where the 'wrong' side is coming from. But I just can't see it in DH.

Since I didn't remember anything much in depth in the movie, I dug out the book and side story and skimmed through. Anything additional's sifted through inferences and mentions in passing. As far as the Harvester's Guild goes, they know all the deets, while everyone else, this is all a tradition that's gone on for generations, and being able to look out your window and see the October Boy physically walking around would be enough to scare most into keeping the tradition of killing him before he gets to the church. Being that even the townsfolk who do know the truth about the tradition still let their sons participate because 'they have no choice', and that with the October Boy's victory the entire town starts falling apart and burning with people finally being able to leave the town, my assumption is that early on in the town's history they faced the town's failing and to avert this they made a deal/pact with Something which resulted in the sacrifice tradition with the families being 'bound' to the town. The prosperity is the crops continue to flourish and in a messed up way, eventually every family will lose a son to the tradition and get moved up to the wealthy end of town. That the Harvester's Guild is willing to take any measures to ensure the tradition keeps going on, including going after anyone they think's trying to escape it makes me think that failure results in the end of the town with some extra suffering for the Harvester's Guild members for dropping the figurative ball on things. Everyone else is finally able to leave for elsewhere.

It does kinda need a sequel to go more into the backhistory to clarify.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fall of the House of Usher (1928) just showed up. :getin:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Watched the stone tape. It's good and spooky, but drat are all the male characters super misogynist and racist. To the point of being a bit silly "Woe is me, we accidentally erased the ghost and the dreaded japanese will overtake us in technology" "Hey there's actually something older and spookier there! We should keep researching!" "Foolish woman, I just said we erased the ghost, now stop doing your own research as I mope about how the thing I went all in on is gone forever"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I caught You'll Never Find Me at an almost completely dead cinema showing tonight. It's a shame, because it's absolutely one of those films that benefits from being experienced on a big screen with a nice sound system. Really, really excellent and stylish use of sound in particular

The plot isn't going to rock your world, and there are gonna be goons who'll get hard-core triggered by the content, but I'm glad I saw it.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

ruddiger posted:

Freddy’s letterman jacket that says “gently caress you” on the back goes too hard.

And the TV edit version which says "Television Version" which goes hard in an entirely different way.

I watched Freaky this weekend, really enjoyed it. Nothing ground breaking but a lot of good kills and it was overall just a fun horror comedy.

The only thing I felt was a totally missed opportunity was the scene at the Monster Mini-Golf type place. It was all black lights and skeletons, I expected at least one fun kill in there but nope, they basically just spend 30 seconds in there.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Freaky's a lot of fun, as are essentially all of this wave of "other movie crossed with slasher" movies. Freaky, Happy Death Day, Totally Killer, all pretty drat decent.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Freaky is a very dumb (but fun!) idea done better than it needed to be. Vaughn and Newton do some amazing work with the body-swap that’s worth watching a couple of times.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There's a lot to like about Freaky, but I can't quite get over the idea that it's a bit mean to be laughing at someone because they don't act according to the social expectations of their gender. e.g. Vince Vaughan running "like a girl".

He and Newton do a great job at doing what they need to though, and there are other decent laughs. Between Freaky and the DeathDay films, I'm mildly disappointed that director isn't doing a Scream anymore.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Christopher Landon has a spark that the other directors trying to ape his style just aren't hitting. I'll be there opening night on whatever he does next.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I appreciated that Freaky went all-out on making the victims completely unlikable, it knew exactly what kind of movie it was.

The shop teacher, especially. I think the funniest joke in the whole movie to me was him grading papers and getting angry about the kids' names.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

A Fancy Hat posted:

I appreciated that Freaky went all-out on making the victims completely unlikable, it knew exactly what kind of movie it was.

I don't know if anyone saw it, and it's hard to give it an unqualified recommend but Founder's Day did this pretty well too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCYsY7Ats70

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
my first act upon winning the lottery would be to immediately sweetheart-fund Happy Death Day, Tree

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The scene with the woman zombie explaining why zombies eat brains is honestly the scariest thing I've ever seen in a horror movie. It unsettles me on the deepest level. It's all so good.

It’s such a good scene of just sudden existential dread that pops into the middle of such a goofy movie

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I could have watched an entire movie of just Clu Gulager and Miguel Núńez Jr. loving up zombies and arguing with each other.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It’s such a good scene of just sudden existential dread that pops into the middle of such a goofy movie

It's a mostly goofy movie that makes being a zombie seem like the scariest thing imaginable. You still retain some of your personality and memories, maybe you're even still 100% you. But you hurt all the time and you're starving for brains. Just imagine being the Tarman. You've been stuck in a drat barrel for 20 years, turning into goo-covered bones, and then somebody opens the barrel, wakes you up again, and now you're starving.

Or being that cadaver that wakes up and starts running around. What the hell was that thing dealing with when it woke up?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Being cold and naked.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
:spooky:

Hey all - unfortunately I'm not going to be able to run the May Horror Challenge thread this year, too much going on in real life to commit to being active all month. If anyone is interested in taking over this year then shoot me a PM to discuss.

Thanks!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

A Fancy Hat posted:

And the TV edit version which says "Television Version" which goes hard in an entirely different way.

I'm now remembering the story about how a producer(?) came to the set, saw the footage of Lianna Quigley top- and bottomless, said like "you can't show a woman's bush on camera!", so the director told Quigley to shave off her pubic hair and reshot it. The producer saw that and went "THAT'S EVEN WORSE :argh:"

I can't help but crack up that they didn't just immediately reshoot the scene with her in panties, even though it all sounds super scuzzy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A star studded week of Bracketology movies. Dustin Hoffman, Sharon Stone, Bill Murray, Bradley Cooper, Adam Driver, Samuel Jackson, Steve Buscemi, Selena Gomez, Tilda Swinton, Queen Latifah, and of course Larry Fessenden. Its like the Oscars over here.

Where We’re At:
1. (mbd’s Older Than America) Georgina Lightning’s Older Than America vs. 16. (Kangra’s Undying Love) Jim Jarmusch’s The Dead Don’t Die
8. (Kangra’s A Crate of Crichton Fright Freight) Barry Levinson’s Sphere vs. 9. Larry Fessenden’s Beneath

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST Mar 25th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
6. Roger Corman vs. 14. Cloverfield +1
4. Ladies Night vs. 5. The Enemies of Horror

Thread / Spreadsheet / Letterboxd List

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

gey muckle mowser posted:

Hey all - unfortunately I'm not going to be able to run the May Horror Challenge thread this year, too much going on in real life to commit to being active all month. If anyone is interested in taking over this year then shoot me a PM to discuss.

Thanks!

Ah jeez, I hope someone else can pick it up, because I love the challenge months!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'll do it if no one volunteers. The May challenge will happen

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

On the subject of the May Challenge: I was thinking of streaming a silent movie marathon for it. Everything older than Steamboat Willie, so there shouldn't be copyright issues, but I'll look into it first. Would anyone be interested?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Hellonshirts a uk based limited run shirt company are doing a run of Jason X shirts and they’re quite incredible

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I can't believe I'm asking this but has there really never been a haunted helicopter movie named HELLICOPTER?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
By the way, if anyone has a desire to run the October Challenge for a year, by all means let us know and you can give it a whirl. It's pretty fun in it's own way, you get to really brainstorm and come up with creative challenges, and nobody gives a poo poo about prizes so you don't even really have to mess with that aside from the gang tags.

Just thought I'd throw it out there because it probably wouldn't be the worst thing for us to have at least small rotation of people who are willing to do it. That way it doesn't fall on one person's shoulders every year like it did with Fran for all that time.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1769789898758770980

We're gonna have to bear down for a while

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I mean, it'll be pretty loving hilarious if this is the only other extended universe to get off the ground and manage to make it to the big team-up when DCU basically failed and the Dark Universe made it to what, three movies?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the dark universe will return

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

With Tom Cruise as Pinocchio

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

God I hope Bambi: The Reckoning is insanely heavy handed and moralistic with a monster deer just annihilating hunter after hunter in a variety of ironic ways.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I mean, it'll be pretty loving hilarious if this is the only other extended universe to get off the ground and manage to make it to the big team-up when DCU basically failed and the Dark Universe made it to what, three movies?

The Dark Universe technically consists of one-and-a-half movies - Dracula Untold was retrofitted in just before release. (And then quickly decoupled from it just after release.)

Edit: also none of those other “Twisted Childhood” movies beyond the Pooh sequel are going to get made, come on.

Splint Chesthair fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 18, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Monsterverse is going strong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Splint Chesthair posted:

Edit: also none of those other “Twisted Childhood” movies beyond the Pooh sequel are going to get made, come on.

Every party needs a pooper and that's why we invited you.