Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Most minor sports have all sorts of cross over from other conferences. The Big 12 in wrestling is a giant mish mash from all over the country. We even have California teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

GD_American posted:

I was always surprised one of the big money SEC schools didn't have some hockey-crazed booster willing to push the club hockey teams they all have into actual-rear end D1.

I mean, the UA board killed UAH's team. UA has a pretty well-funded hockey team. Buy them an arena already

The University of Alabama board killed a football program because it wasn’t Tuscaloosa’s.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

JesustheDarkLord posted:

It's because southerners are naturally better atheletes

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

GD_American posted:

I was always surprised one of the big money SEC schools didn't have some hockey-crazed booster willing to push the club hockey teams they all have into actual-rear end D1.

I mean, the UA board killed UAH's team. UA has a pretty well-funded hockey team. Buy them an arena already

And tank the Pelham economy? You madman.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
SEC hockey sounds like madness and should happen. If it happened pre-ww2, a (previously) live mascot’s head would end up on the ice.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
It would only take one to get it started. Imagine an SEC team going to the Frozen Four in the next decade and boosters of the other big schools going "why don't we have a team"

edit- oh loving awesome, they added a woman's team

https://twitter.com/CollegeHkySouth/status/1745098370874524161

GD_American fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 18, 2024

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

fast cars loose anus posted:

Yeah northern baseball teams are incredibly disadvantaged by college baseball season starting in February thus necessitating them going on the road for the first month+ of the season

For reference, this is from 2021 so the numbers aren't totally correct any more but here are the CWS appearances by teams in each conference (using team membership at the time in 2021 so for example all of Texas' appearances from the SWC years count for the Big 12):
SEC - 106
Pac-12 (RIP) - 103
ACC - 98
Big 12 - 80
Big 10 - 29

And just for fun:
Big West - 26

There is an obvious outlier here and it isn't because no one in Michigan, Indiana or Ohio likes baseball

I'm not sure Corvallis, Oregon is any more fun than Champaign, Illinois (or a different Rust Belt/Midwest town) in February or March but Oregon State was a major contributor to Pac-12's baseball appearances.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I wish PSU would go independent and beat the poo poo out of the rest of the terrible northeast teams every year

Make the Lambert Trophy great again!

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Maxwells Demon posted:

I'm not sure Corvallis, Oregon is any more fun than Champaign, Illinois (or a different Rust Belt/Midwest town) in February or March but Oregon State was a major contributor to Pac-12's baseball appearances.

Corvallis weather is definitely more moderate than *insert average rust belt town*

For example, the average high for February in Champaign is about three degrees higher than the average low in Corvallis.

whos that broooown fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Mar 18, 2024

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

whos that broooown posted:

Corvallis weather is definitely more moderate than *insert average rust belt town*

For example, the average high for February in Champaign is about three degrees higher than the average low in Corvallis.

Neither is playing many home baseball games in February, in honesty. That’s early season tournaments or away trips in sunny weather. I think both Oregon State and Oregon have fully turf baseball fields but they won’t play in rain.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Dance McPants posted:

we used to be happy in the CCHA then realignment or whatever happened and hosed everything up.

And gently caress you Notre Dame for being B1G for Hockey cause that's better than ACC, but ACC for everything else (except football) for convenience.

Actually just gently caress you Notre Dame, glad we bounced your rear end from the Big Ten hockey tournament.

im still bitter that WMU won the CCHA and then the Big 10 destroyed it. Fuckers.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Dance McPants posted:

And gently caress you Notre Dame for being B1G for Hockey cause that's better than ACC, but ACC for everything else (except football) for convenience.

That's not how that works. ND is in the ACC for every sport the ACC sponsors, save football. The ACC doesn't sponsor men's hockey, so they got an affiliate membership for that in the Big Ten. If the ACC started to sponsor men's hockey ND would leave the Big Ten to go to the ACC. You usually can't pick and chose conferences like you're saying, other than maybe your premier sport.

Usually if you're a member of a conf you agree to put all your sports that conf sponsors there. Exceptions exist, like ND football, but they are rare.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

don't bring facts and reason into this!

...I'm just bitter we lost the old CCHA/Great Lakes Hockey Avengers. It was local and cool.

anyway we should probably talk about football. Looks like Michigan hired Ohio's RB coach, neat.

...gently caress Notre Dame.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm not 100 percent on it but I also thought that the only reason the Big Ten didn't sponsor hockey was there weren't enough teams. Then Penn State started up and, what, they're not going to have a sport that enough members play?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Sash! posted:

I'm not 100 percent on it but I also thought that the only reason the Big Ten didn't sponsor hockey was there weren't enough teams. Then Penn State started up and, what, they're not going to have a sport that enough members play?

I bet that was part of it, but I'm pretty sure that the 6 team rule is about automatic berths to ncaa postseason tournaments. I know ACC men's lacrosse operates as a 5 team conference, and used to be smaller, but their champ doesn't get a auto bid to the tournament. I'm the eyes of the selection committee all ACC teams are independents who are only eligible for at large bids.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Honestly surprised Miami Ohio isn’t part of Big Ten hockey by now

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Sash! posted:

That was definitely one element.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
lol imagine if Bama went D1 and joined the Big Ten for hockey

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

GD_American posted:

It would only take one to get it started. Imagine an SEC team going to the Frozen Four in the next decade and boosters of the other big schools going "why don't we have a team"

edit- oh loving awesome, they added a woman's team

https://twitter.com/CollegeHkySouth/status/1745098370874524161

Statesboro has had snow that stuck once during the last 30 years. While checking where they might actually play, they'll be leaning heavily on its Savannah (former Armstrong Atlantic) campus.

Some northern baseball colleges essentially spend 2-4 weeks in the south, touring Florida and tournaments where there won't be snow. The quality of teams is pretty bad.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

They should just play baseball in the snow, and hockey on those fake ice rinks

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Arizona State is joining the NCHC for hockey next year. The NCHC has colleges like North Dakota, Denver, Omaha, Western Michigan, St. Cloud St, Colorado College, Miami Ohio, and Minnesota Duluth.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/petethamel/status/1770115093595893953?s=46

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Relegate FSU and Clemson to the MAC imo

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
In Clemson’s defense they’ve gotta get a landing spot now before their football program fully turns back into a pumpkin

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Unc clemson and fsu to the big10 pls

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

Unc clemson and fsu to the big10 pls
Pitt too :getin:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If you're south of the Ohio and east of the Mississippi, you must be in the SEC going forward

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
I think Rutgers and Maryland are just the two programs to save the ACC.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Sash! posted:

If you're south of the Ohio and east of the Mississippi, you must be in the SEC going forward

ESPN isnt happy with us.
Thats okay
We'll keep playing this garbage

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Think UNC is stuck unless they take NC State with them.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

Relegate FSU and Clemson to the MAC imo

This is insulting to the MAC, but at least that way Clemson and FSU would still get to play Miami

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Spacemonkey57 posted:

I think Rutgers and Maryland are just the two programs to save the ACC.

We're going with the Civil War definition here (roughly Proctor, WV where the Mason-Dixon Line would intercept the river) rather than the cultural definition that puts Pitt south of the Ohio or the hydrologic reality that the Ohio and Allegheny are the same river, making Penn State south of the Ohio too.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Send them back

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/slmandel/status/1770160285678244306?s=46

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

pillsburysoldier posted:

ESPN isnt happy with us.
Thats okay
We'll keep playing this garbage

Lol this remains my favorite of his

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

Missouri itself is the compromise

edit: didn't read the quote correctly but i'll leave it.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/MBakerTBTimes/status/1770086925711311161
https://twitter.com/On3sports/status/1770214717275115685

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 19, 2024

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

June 2022: Commits to Iowa

December 2022: Decommits from Iowa

December 2022: Commits and signs with Alabama