Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

.... why are we still using yokes?

Type certificates are a hell of a drug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

Potato Salad posted:

Different design philosophies. I think side sticks are overall superior but in the case of AF 447 it may have been beneficial if the two pilots could have visually seen what control inputs the other was making other than the “dual input” warning mixed in with a multitude of other warnings when things were going to hell in a hand basket.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
From the New York Times

quote:

The Justice Department is sending subpoenas and using a recently convened grand jury in Seattle as it widens a criminal investigation into the door plug that blew off a Boeing 737 Max 9 jetliner in January, a person familiar with the matter said on Friday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/15/business/boeing-subpoenas-grand-jury.html

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Once again, the coverup is the crime

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Wow, as a non-plane-flyer I briefly thought of this scenario from initially descriptions, but thought that pilot seat position being easy to accidentally change would be way too obviously stupid.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Potato Salad posted:

You're aware that two perfectly flyable Airbuses crashed and killed everyone on board partly because PF didn't know what PNF was doing with his stick, right?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Phanatic posted:

You're aware that two perfectly flyable Airbuses crashed and killed everyone on board partly because PF didn't know what PNF was doing with his stick, right?

I knew about AF447, mentioned by Two Kings. Such a terrible accident, precisely because it was so avoidable. What's the other?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Phanatic posted:

I prefer when others don't know what I'm doing with my stick

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Phanatic posted:

Electronic feedback keeping the sticks in sync is a thing. The C-17 has FBW sticks that are linked (mechanically though, I think?). The Gulfstream G500 and the Embraer KC-390 both come with electronically linked sticks as standard. I'm pretty sure I've read that Airbus will be putting electronically linked sticks in too sooner rather than later.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 16, 2024

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

DEEZ-NUTS of CUMMING, GA

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

BobHoward posted:

I knew about AF447, mentioned by Two Kings. Such a terrible accident, precisely because it was so avoidable. What's the other?

It was a factor in QZ8501, although not the main reason the plane crashed it was an issue, maybe that is what they were thinking of?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Arson Daily posted:

fedgov just seized an Iranian 747-300 that was used for some nefarious purposes and i was like theres still someone with a flyable 747-300? wild stuff

Ahem https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_VC-25

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BobHoward posted:

Air Asia 8501. In trying to clear a caution light the crew turned off the FCCs and the FO immediately started trying to kill everybody and eventually succeeded.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The VC-25A is based off the -200B. The -300 is rather rare, I think they made less than 100 total.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

slidebite posted:

Thoughts on the latest Scott Manley video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYMewo1JTzI

Mrs and I watched it and she said "wait, is he really going to take off with a real risk of losing his instruments?" I know it was a short hop and a calculated risk, but I'm a little surprised he went through with it. Appreciate insights from others that are more educated than us in the subject.I realize the aircraft wasn't so much having a mechanical issue as a switch in the wrong position which wasn't caught, but obviously that wasn't realized at the time so I assume that the default consideration would be an issue with the aircraft?

Alright, I'm gonna go back and jump on this because a couple of things bother me. I'm basing this all on what appears to be known at about the 7:20 mark when the decision to take off for the return flight are made. It appears we're seeing low voltage indications, which would indicate that the alternator isn't running, and we're running the electronics (in this case, all the avionics and instrumentation in the aircraft?!) off of the battery (Do we know how long it has been like that? How long will that battery run all the avionics and instruments?) The conclusion that appears to have been reached is that the alternator has failed, or is otherwise non-functional. The law at this point, based on that conclusion is clear.

91.213 posted:

Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this section, no person may take off an aircraft with inoperative instruments or equipment installed unless the following conditions are met
The conditions, in this case, would be to remove or deactivate and placard the inoperative equipment, involving a mechanic if necessary.

However, the very next statement made at 7:21 is "I kinda want to get this back." Yeah, of course. But in that moment, as far as is known is that a legal decision? "Is that OK?" The regs say no. The instructor, obviously, really wants to get back, too, because he's not wasting a moment to think about whether he has a legal airplane, either, immediately justifying how the loss of flight instruments would be totally fine, hell, the engine will keep running! The stick still works! C'mon, I've got plans! "I don't wanna be stuck [here] with this." Well, I'd argue that's always a risk you take in aviation. I've spent plenty of extra nights places I'd rather not be because I didn't have a legal airplane.

This is classic "get-there-itis". Is the risk in this case fairly low? Sure, seems like it. Could you get away with doing this again? Probably 99 times out of 100. Is it legal? Nope. Is that the attitude an instructor should be reinforcing? Absolutely not.

Turns out the alternator hadn't failed, just a case of operator error caused by poor documentation and cockpit design. But, last thought, how come the instructor doesn't know the system either? Isn't that the sort of thing he's charging a good bit of money to "instruct?" I love these insurance requirements that tell an aircraft owner they've got to get a certain amount of time in type with an instructor, to avoid just this type of situation, but you see this poo poo a lot where the instructor probably doesn't have any more time in the type than the student does.

Safety Dance posted:

In my opinion, its VFR Day,

Reztes fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 16, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ever since Jerry got his come to Jesus moment, someone has to become the new Jerry. Might as well be our own Scott Manley.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Aren't Day VMC flights going to be the vast majority of non-commercial fixed-wing aviation? Not sure the raw numbers tell us anything more than that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Reztes posted:

Alright, I'm gonna go back and jump on this because a couple of things bother me. I'm basing this all on what appears to be known at about the 7:20 mark when the decision to take off for the return flight are made. It appears we're seeing low voltage indications, which would indicate that the alternator isn't running, and we're running the electronics (in this case, all the avionics and instrumentation in the aircraft?!) off of the battery (Do we know how long it has been like that? How long will that battery run all the avionics and instruments?) The conclusion that appears to have been reached is that the alternator has failed, or is otherwise non-functional. The law at this point, based on that conclusion is clear.

This is a really good point, and thank you for making it. The only pushback I can offer is the instruments were working. The question becomes, if we take off, fly ten minutes, and land, will the instruments continue working?

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Where's the aircraft operating handbook? He talks about looking at wiring diagrams to finally figure it out, are you telling me the POH doesn't have "turn key to position 2 to keep the battery from dying" somewhere in the standard procedures?

What the gently caress even is the point of the "on but not really :)" position?

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

It’s an Eastern European light sport, I’d be more surprised if it had a real POH.

EasilyConfused posted:

Aren't Day VMC flights going to be the vast majority of non-commercial fixed-wing aviation? Not sure the raw numbers tell us anything more than that.

More just to say that “it’s day VFR” is not a great way to excuse hazardous attitudes or behavior.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Reztes posted:

More just to say that “it’s day VFR” is not a great way to excuse hazardous attitudes or behavior.

My point there was more, "it's day vfr, you can get away without an attitude indicator or altimeter because you can see the horizon and the ground".

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I take your point. Airspeed indicators and engine gauges are still pretty handy though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh, most definitely.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Cojawfee posted:

Ever since Jerry got his come to Jesus moment, someone has to become the new Jerry. Might as well be our own Scott Manley.
Bro
I am pretty sure you're kidding, but even if this might not have been the best decision it's hardly Jerry levels of making hit own rules to do whatever.

Scott Manley seems to be an extremely level headed guy.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Wait what? Did I miss Jerry demise? I am clearly behind the news cycle here
I thought the FAA grounded him

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

lilbeefer posted:

Wait what? Did I miss Jerry demise? I am clearly behind the news cycle here
I thought the FAA grounded him

He suddenly deleted all his videos after being reported to the faa, and a couple months later uploaded new ones with normal boring flying

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Jerry had a come-to-Jesus moment, and not in the way everyone had been dreading.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

He suddenly deleted all his videos after being reported to the faa, and a couple months later uploaded new ones with normal boring flying

Mostly boring flying. There have still been some big Jerry Moments.

In other news,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlACTnnEbsc

Watch to the end, it's worth it.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

MrChips posted:

In other news,

Ending it totally worth it.

I got to "transition" through a bravo without hearing the magic words yesterday and it was a little freaky. My flying buddy/ former CFI was about to have a fit. Is it normal to let VFR traffic on flight following blow through a bravo without saying "Cleared into the bravo."? Not complaining mind you but it felt a bit weird.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Maksimus54 posted:

Ending it totally worth it.

I got to "transition" through a bravo without hearing the magic words yesterday and it was a little freaky. My flying buddy/ former CFI was about to have a fit. Is it normal to let VFR traffic on flight following blow through a bravo without saying "Cleared into the bravo."? Not complaining mind you but it felt a bit weird.

Like, they gave you a vector that took you into/through the Bravo from outside? Did you follow up with them after to make sure?

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Ayup. We were VFR and on FF, advised I needed to descend to avoid the bravo and he just said I could "transition" the bravo. Called back to confirm cause that's not something I'd heard of and we were advised it was fine and he'd vector us as needed.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrChips posted:

In other news,

lmao, guarantee that pilot is an absolutely terrible controller

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

RealID mandates are like Godot

State level driver's licenses should have been legislated out of existence in the RealID Act

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Maksimus54 posted:

Ayup. We were VFR and on FF, advised I needed to descend to avoid the bravo and he just said I could "transition" the bravo. Called back to confirm cause that's not something I'd heard of and we were advised it was fine and he'd vector us as needed.

That's not really meeting the expectation but in practice you should be fine. Clearly the controller shouldn't be telling you everything's fine and then run off and report an airspace bust, but it could happen as a result of a Quality Assurance random review of the session.

But, for future reference, "cleared to enter *name* bravo airspace" is a required clearance if you're going into a Bravo while VFR. A clearance, in this case, is a specific instruction by ATC letting you know that separation services are going to be provided for the described operation.

"Cleared to destination via route" = an IFR clearance

"Cleared to enter/out of/through *name* Bravo airspace" = a Bravo airspace clearance

"Runway 18L, cleared for takeoff" = a runway clearance

In each of these examples, ATC is taking responsibility separating your cleared operation from other cleared operations happening in the area, and assuring you that your path is free from known or observed conflicts.

Anyways, all that to say, operating within the bravo requires a CLEARANCE and the controller should absolutely use the word "cleared." Malicious compliance would suggest that you maneuver to avoid the bravo airspace until such a time you received a valid clearance.

If the controller already had you on a vector and/or altitude, now you're bringing in "complying with ATC instructions," which means you need to notice this far enough in advance to reject the instruction and ask for an amended one.

This all seems nitpicky but all it takes is one misunderstanding for ATC and pilot to start going "he did it!"

Tldr: controller wrong in this case, but that doesn't make it ok to operate in a Bravo without a clearance. If you didn't hear the word "cleared," it's not a clearance. You should be alright but there are no guarantees that the FAA won't review the operation (although it's unlikely). If you have access to a voluntary safety reporting system, this is a good time to make use of it. The information does get captured and can result in follow-up training for controllers that may help reduce the incidence of this kind of thing happening.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

https://www.scramble.nl/civil-news/radia-unveils-plans-for-world-s-largest-transport-aircraft

It looks like a support mecha design from a 90s Gundam series.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

The aircraft is called the WindRunner and is specifically designed to transport wind turbine blades directly to a windfarm.
I'm curious how they're gonna do that part

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Put a big weight on the hub-end and drop it out the back so it helicopters to the ground like maple tree seeds.

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021

mobby_6kl posted:

It says the plan is to build a temporary airstrip on site for the delivery.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
https://admiralcloudberg.medium.com/insanity-in-the-air-the-crash-of-pakistan-international-airlines-flight-8303-46bbcc0e5f45

Wanna read a series of horrible, horrible decisions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Volkova III posted:

It says the plan is to build a temporary airstrip on site for the delivery.

Ok, you got me to look at the actual article and:

quote:

The WindRunner is planned to be an aircraft featuring four engines and a front loading nose. It will be 108 meters long, has an height of 24 meters, and a wingspan of 80 meters. In comparison, a Boeing B747-8F is 76,25 meters long, 19,4 meters high, and has a wingspan of 68,45 meters. The WindRunner has a payload bay capacity of 8,200 m3, while a B747-8F "only" has 692,7 m3. It has an envisioned range of up to 2,000 kilometers and will be able to operate out of semi-hardened runways that are only 1,800 meters long.

I mean, it’s all startup bullshit but this plus those stubby wings don’t really add up. If it could hit those numbers surely it’s only going to be useful for very short range transport.

edit: the wings might be ok actually, I wasn’t adding up the real numbers vs the picture. Regardless, this would not be at all capable of efficient intercontinental transport.