Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I mean people in Faerun must be mega polite because you can spend like half the game looking like you're in a black metal band and nobody says a peep about it.

It is probably assumed, not wholly inaccurately, that you only look like that if you're some kind of Sith Lord sort of terror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

just found out that when splitting item stacks, you can just click on the number and type in the amount instead of using the slider. :shepface:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wait til you find out that you can use items from anybody's inventory so you don't even need to waste time splitting stacks!!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Mr. Lobe posted:

It is probably assumed, not wholly inaccurately, that you only look like that if you're some kind of Sith Lord sort of terror

the at-will flight is probably freakier and more noticable at a glance than being covered in psychic alien death veins, since youre the only one out and about doing it, but still, I thank them for their politeness enough not to stare

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I guess just getting knowledge from this thread on learning which buffs/debuffs/utilities are good and which are bad, would be great :)

Any good wisdom on this topic?

Also is there a generally summary of the niches provided by the different classes? Like what’s the practical difference between a melee monk and a melee fighter? Both are melee dps right? Or a ranged warlock and a ranged sorcerer? Both are ranged dps?

Ratios and Tendency posted:

You have:

Warriors - tanky, single target damage and control boys. Fighters, Paladins, Barbarians, Monks. Rangers too if built for it.
Skills Dudes - skill guys for sneaking around, disarming traps and picking locks, usually double as good archers since they have high dexterity. Rogues, Bards, Rangers.
Support - buffs, healing, controlling enemies. Clerics, Druids, Bards.
Mages - area damage and control. Wizards, Sorcerers, Warlocks, Druids

Party face/talky character can also be important. High charisma and social skills. Paladin, Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock.

In terms of which specific spells are good or not, the fun of the game is trying them all out to see. The main caveat here is that Shield and Counterspell are extremely important wizard spells that you won't find scrolls for, meaning you have to pick them on level up. Haste is massively powerful to the point that it's pretty busted.

I was gonna make a mini effort post and this is a good start

Buffs/debuffs: I subscribe to the idea that the best debuff is death so I tend to just start blasting immediately. Haste is so OP though that it's worth burning a round to put it on your strongest DPS (or 2 of them if you're a sorc with Twinned Spell!) I find crowd control more useful early in the game when you can easily be killed in one turn, stuff like hold person/sleep/crown of madness. Later on you get AoE CC like confusion and hypnotic pattern which can be nice when you're badly outnumbered. There are a TON of spells in the game and to be honest I get in a rut and just use the handful I know and like every time.

If you want to be a cheeselord, get a life cleric hireling from Withers. Once they get high level enough, you can abuse them to buff the hell out of your party every long rest. Level 5 Aid, Heroes Feast, Longstrider, Freedom of Movement on your whole party without burning any of their spell slots. It's pretty hard to die when you have 150 HP and immunity to most CC.

Don't overlook potions and elixirs. If you're going into a tough fight, they can give you a variety of different buffs. Another cheeselord strat is to stockpile strength elixirs, which lets you respec to dump strength and boost other stats higher than you normally could on your melee characters.

Casters: Very important is the fact that with 1 level of wizard multiclass, you can learn literally every scroll in the game. Most spells have scroll versions, though a few do not. So mixing 1 level of wizard with whatever other caster class is common and advantageous.
Wizard: huge variety of spells, many subclasses to choose from for flavor, can look them up on the wiki. Evocation is popular since it has the big nukes and also an ability that eliminates friendly fire, so you can fireball on top of your homies with reckless abandon.

Sorcerer: With 1 dip into Wizard, I'd argue they are just a better Wizard. You gain Metamagic, which lets you spend Sorcerer Points to enhance your spells. Cast 1 spell on 2 targets, increase your chance to hit, increase your range, etc. Also your spellcasting stat is Charisma which is very useful, as opposed to INT on a Wizard which rarely matters

Warlock: Plays very differently. Typically you drop some kind of Concentration crowd control spell like Hunger of Hadar or Hypnotic Pattern or Darkness, and then spend your turns plinking at mobs with Eldritch Blast. You only get a few spell slots but they replenish on short rest, which is unique. Can also be made more of a melee build if you go down Pact of the Blade.

Cleric: Varies a bit by subclass. Life is a strong pure healer but you don't really need one in this game. Light is a strong caster with a lot of fire and radiant damage spells. Storm gets a lot of elemental damage spells. Not totally useless in melee as you get a lot more armor and weapon proficiency than other casters, though it probably shouldn't be your primary plan.

Druid: subclasses all play very differently. You can be more or less a pure caster. Or specialize in wild shape (turn into an owlbear and gently caress poo poo up). Or a spore druid who makes a huge army of helper goons to fight for you.

Melee: More than casters, I think this comes down to what class fantasy you prefer.

Barbarian: probably the simplest class? You just kinda wade in and gently caress poo poo up. Get a lot of bonuses to AC and damage reduction so they are pretty tanky. Get bonus damage to throwing attacks so that is a popular and good playstyle. Also you get really funny dialogue options to resolve conflicts BY SHOUTING AT PEOPLE

Fighter: Battlemaster subclass gets a lot of buttons to push. You get "Maneuvers" which do things like stun/prone/gain advantage/etc in addition to doing damage. You also get a lot of feats and extra attacks as you level up which is nice.

Monk: I'm already on record about how good I think Monk is. You're a kung fu master zipping around annihilating people with your bare hands. It feels very fun.

Rogue: I hope you like engaging with the stealth mechanics because everything revolves around sneak attacks. I do not, so I haven't spent much time with rogue

Hybrid:
Bard: You can build this as a caster heavy on utility and CC, a very powerful archer, or melee DPS. I personally really enjoy the archer variant. You get "flourishes" that are similar to Monk or Fighter special abilities, that add some effect on top of doing damage. Regen on short rest. Very good jack of all trades that doesn't feel like you are *bad* at any of them.

Ranger: Pretty similar to bard I feel like? I haven't played this much TBH, sorry

Paladin: Mostly a melee that boosts damage with Smite and has some healing spells you probably won't use. I haven't played a lot of this class either

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Barbarian is the best party face/dialogue handler

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Monk is shockingly good. I beat my goodie two shoes Tav playthrough a few weeks ago and am doing a dark Shadowheart playthrough now using the "lights out" party build from Reddit someone posted here ages ago with Shadowheart as my monk, and man is it going to be hard not to save Hope to get those sweet sweet monk gloves but I know Shar would vehemently object

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Just kill her afterwards. In fact I think Shar would enjoy that even more.

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Just kill her afterwards. In fact I think Shar would enjoy that even more.

This is why I post here. Tyvm.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

Wait til you find out that you can use items from anybody's inventory so you don't even need to waste time splitting stacks!!

On PS5 at least, this wasn't necessarily true. Drink, yes. Throw, no. Had to move stuff into the controlled character's inventory first, which usually meant splitting some off so I could keep the main stacks in a consistent place.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Lobok posted:

On PS5 at least, this wasn't necessarily true. Drink, yes. Throw, no. Had to move stuff into the controlled character's inventory first, which usually meant splitting some off so I could keep the main stacks in a consistent place.

Yeah it's weird, you can use them in their main inventory but not if it's in a bag, can't get it open. Lost a party member on the final fight because all my heal potions were hidden. :(

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Docjowles posted:

Rogue: I hope you like engaging with the stealth mechanics because everything revolves around sneak attacks. I do not, so I haven't spent much time with rogue

Hybrid:
Bard: You can build this as a caster heavy on utility and CC, a very powerful archer, or melee DPS. I personally really enjoy the archer variant. You get "flourishes" that are similar to Monk or Fighter special abilities, that add some effect on top of doing damage. Regen on short rest. Very good jack of all trades that doesn't feel like you are *bad* at any of them.

Ranger: Pretty similar to bard I feel like? I haven't played this much TBH, sorry

Paladin: Mostly a melee that boosts damage with Smite and has some healing spells you probably won't use. I haven't played a lot of this class either

I think rogues can Sneak Attack against any enemy that's threatened, so they can get reliable DPR if they just follow a fighter. Snipers can still just Cunning Hide constantly.

I stand by support paladins, particularly for Ancients. You passively defend everyone near you and have a pretty solid set of buffs, including one or two exclusive ones and good elemental access on your weapon strikes. I think BG3 has also given every paladin a viable bonus action Channel that doesn't even stop you smiting if that's your thing.

As a paladin fan I haven't really been able to get into ranger. BG3 gave paladins a ton of extra spell selection leeway but didn't do the same to ranger, so you're a finesse fighter with limited styles, a small handful of mainly support spells, and a subclass that either gives you more support actions or a little extra attack damage (I wanted to like the spider but it's really jank). Gloomstalker is supposed to be a sneaky ranger, but they only get a one-time d8 for their ambush strike instead of the rogue's ever-growing fistful of d6s.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Caphi posted:

I think rogues can Sneak Attack against any enemy that's threatened, so they can get reliable DPR if they just follow a fighter. Snipers can still just Cunning Hide constantly.

Yeah I pretty much never hid with Astarion once I got the Risky Ring. Every single turn he has advantage so big hits.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Risky Ring is absurdly powerful. I skipped it on my first game, but now I put it on Gloomstalker/Assassin Astarion and I don't even need to think about what he's attacking.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

You have:

Warriors - tanky, single target damage and control boys. Fighters, Paladins, Barbarians, Monks. Rangers too if built for it.
Skills Dudes - skill guys for sneaking around, disarming traps and picking locks, usually double as good archers since they have high dexterity. Rogues, Bards, Rangers.
Support - buffs, healing, controlling enemies. Clerics, Druids, Bards.
Mages - area damage and control. Wizards, Sorcerers, Warlocks, Druids

Party face/talky character can also be important. High charisma and social skills. Paladin, Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock.

In terms of which specific spells are good or not, the fun of the game is trying them all out to see. The main caveat here is that Shield and Counterspell are extremely important wizard spells that you won't find scrolls for, meaning you have to pick them on level up. Haste is massively powerful to the point that it's pretty busted.

Docjowles posted:

I was gonna make a mini effort post and this is a good start

Buffs/debuffs: I subscribe to the idea that the best debuff is death so I tend to just start blasting immediately. Haste is so OP though that it's worth burning a round to put it on your strongest DPS (or 2 of them if you're a sorc with Twinned Spell!) I find crowd control more useful early in the game when you can easily be killed in one turn, stuff like hold person/sleep/crown of madness. Later on you get AoE CC like confusion and hypnotic pattern which can be nice when you're badly outnumbered. There are a TON of spells in the game and to be honest I get in a rut and just use the handful I know and like every time.

If you want to be a cheeselord, get a life cleric hireling from Withers. Once they get high level enough, you can abuse them to buff the hell out of your party every long rest. Level 5 Aid, Heroes Feast, Longstrider, Freedom of Movement on your whole party without burning any of their spell slots. It's pretty hard to die when you have 150 HP and immunity to most CC.

Don't overlook potions and elixirs. If you're going into a tough fight, they can give you a variety of different buffs. Another cheeselord strat is to stockpile strength elixirs, which lets you respec to dump strength and boost other stats higher than you normally could on your melee characters.

Casters: Very important is the fact that with 1 level of wizard multiclass, you can learn literally every scroll in the game. Most spells have scroll versions, though a few do not. So mixing 1 level of wizard with whatever other caster class is common and advantageous.
Wizard: huge variety of spells, many subclasses to choose from for flavor, can look them up on the wiki. Evocation is popular since it has the big nukes and also an ability that eliminates friendly fire, so you can fireball on top of your homies with reckless abandon.

Sorcerer: With 1 dip into Wizard, I'd argue they are just a better Wizard. You gain Metamagic, which lets you spend Sorcerer Points to enhance your spells. Cast 1 spell on 2 targets, increase your chance to hit, increase your range, etc. Also your spellcasting stat is Charisma which is very useful, as opposed to INT on a Wizard which rarely matters

Warlock: Plays very differently. Typically you drop some kind of Concentration crowd control spell like Hunger of Hadar or Hypnotic Pattern or Darkness, and then spend your turns plinking at mobs with Eldritch Blast. You only get a few spell slots but they replenish on short rest, which is unique. Can also be made more of a melee build if you go down Pact of the Blade.

Cleric: Varies a bit by subclass. Life is a strong pure healer but you don't really need one in this game. Light is a strong caster with a lot of fire and radiant damage spells. Storm gets a lot of elemental damage spells. Not totally useless in melee as you get a lot more armor and weapon proficiency than other casters, though it probably shouldn't be your primary plan.

Druid: subclasses all play very differently. You can be more or less a pure caster. Or specialize in wild shape (turn into an owlbear and gently caress poo poo up). Or a spore druid who makes a huge army of helper goons to fight for you.

Melee: More than casters, I think this comes down to what class fantasy you prefer.

Barbarian: probably the simplest class? You just kinda wade in and gently caress poo poo up. Get a lot of bonuses to AC and damage reduction so they are pretty tanky. Get bonus damage to throwing attacks so that is a popular and good playstyle. Also you get really funny dialogue options to resolve conflicts BY SHOUTING AT PEOPLE

Fighter: Battlemaster subclass gets a lot of buttons to push. You get "Maneuvers" which do things like stun/prone/gain advantage/etc in addition to doing damage. You also get a lot of feats and extra attacks as you level up which is nice.

Monk: I'm already on record about how good I think Monk is. You're a kung fu master zipping around annihilating people with your bare hands. It feels very fun.

Hybrid:

Caphi posted:

I stand by support paladins, particularly for Ancients. You passively defend everyone near you and have a pretty solid set of buffs, including one or two exclusive ones and good elemental access on your weapon strikes. I think BG3 has also given every paladin a viable bonus action Channel that doesn't even stop you smiting if that's your thing.

As a paladin fan I haven't really been able to get into ranger. BG3 gave paladins a ton of extra spell selection leeway but didn't do the same to ranger, so you're a finesse fighter with limited styles, a small handful of mainly support spells, and a subclass that either gives you more support actions or a little extra attack damage (I wanted to like the spider but it's really jank). Gloomstalker is supposed to be a sneaky ranger, but they only get a one-time d8 for their ambush strike instead of the rogue's ever-growing fistful of d6s.

Thank you all!

My interpretation of some key takeaways:
  • Healing is best left to potions, rather than in-combat actions.
  • Buffing is usually, but not always, better left to potions/items/pre-combat rather than in-combat actions.
  • Buffs range wildly in power, with Haste being the most OP of all.
  • Debuffs are generally not worth it, except CC. CC like paralyze is really good.

Does that sound about right?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Healing in combat is usually a waste of an action and almost invariably a waste of spell slots, but there are a few notable exceptions (mostly the ones that don't use spell slots).

Paladins and Life clerics get fairly significant healing powers that use their own resources, though they're probably better used out of combat. If you do end up using them in combat, they're an actually noticeable chunk of your bar and much preferable to lowering yourself to cast cure wounds.
Ancients paladins, specifically, get a fairly respectable bonus action area heal that starts at level 1 and scales - you should definitely be using it, in or out of combat, because the other Ancients Channel Oath power is very bad.
Healing word is kind of bad in the game where, unlike on paper, waking up from unconscious leaves you without an action, but it still cancels death saves, so if you have to, you have to.
Also, note that throwing a potion (like throwing anything else) isn't just an action, but specifically an attack, so they're more efficient for Extra Attackers. This is probably a better way to get dying people standing.
You can also throw goodberries, the second most efficient healing spell for the slot in the game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the other extremely good buff you want up and running 99% of the time is Bless, which is so numerically strong when applied to 4 people that it trumps almost every other concentration option clerics can take

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Thank you all!

My interpretation of some key takeaways:
  • Healing is best left to potions, rather than in-combat actions.
  • Buffing is usually, but not always, better left to potions/items/pre-combat rather than in-combat actions.
  • Buffs range wildly in power, with Haste being the most OP of all.
  • Debuffs are generally not worth it, except CC. CC like paralyze is really good.

Does that sound about right?

There are some debuffs that are situationally great. Silence, for example, can be a game-changer in some encounters and if you build for it darkness can be ridiculously powerful against most enemies.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I started an honor mode run and immediately failed every check for recruiting Gale and he died. Thought I would make it at least an hour before having to restart :lol: It's legitimately insane that this is not only possible but reasonably likely

Obviously poo poo is going to go south in honor mode but I would like to make it past the literal first meaningful roll :argh:

edit: got back to where I was and recruited Gale. About 30 seconds later my 17 CHA bard rolled a 1 on a persuasion check against the bandits on top of the ruins and they wiped me. I can see that honor mode is going to be An Experience

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 18, 2024

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Are monks actually good or is it just that they pair with tavern brawling.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
No, monks are legit pretty insane, it's just that tavern brawling makes them even moreso

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Stunning strike can shut down so many serious threats

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

I started an honor mode run and immediately failed every check for recruiting Gale and he died. Thought I would make it at least an hour before having to restart :lol: It's legitimately insane that this is not only possible but reasonably likely

Obviously poo poo is going to go south in honor mode but I would like to make it past the literal first meaningful roll :argh:

edit: got back to where I was and recruited Gale. About 30 seconds later my 17 CHA bard rolled a 1 on a persuasion check against the bandits on top of the ruins and they wiped me. I can see that honor mode is going to be An Experience

pretty sure honor mode is 90% knowing which order to do things in.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Can a mind flayer eat devil or demon brains and if so does it turn them evil? Asking for a friend :zoid:

No, because mind flayers are already evil.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Clarste posted:

No, because mind flayers are already evil.

They are a very unnatural alien intellect devoid of souls from the far future of a failed timeline. Their actions and goals merely happen to coincide perfectly with what we consider evil. :)

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
can I get input from someone who isn't a slanderous troll

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

can I get input from someone who isn't a slanderous troll

no they can't they are explicitly parasitic to humanoids

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Are monks actually good or is it just that they pair with tavern brawling.

You don't need to take the tb route for monks to be amazing.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i was pretty concerned with the raphael fight because it'd be a real bad time to lose your honor mode run that far in, so I grossly overprepared by summoning up everything (basket, us, deva, myrmidon, mummy, ghouls) and buffing with heroes' feast, level six aid, freedom of movement and longstrider at the boudoir. it turns out I didn't need to, because 10 sword bard/1 fighter/1 wizard is absolutely nuts.

my MC and shadowheart go first (after yurgir, who immediately murders korella), so I drop mass healing word to trigger bless and blade ward on everyone and use phalar aluve's sing with shart, then an arrow of many targets and a ranged flourish to reach 10 stacks of arcane arcuity and trigger band of the mystic scoundrel. and then the fight was basically over as I hit raphael and most of the demons with a 100% chance command: halt at no cost thanks to markoheshkir. lae'zel and karlach and my one million summons proceed to take out the pillars. then I did it again on turn 2, and by turn 3 everyone was dead.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is the hat of uninhibited kushigo just garbage or is there some context or mechanic that makes it actually worthwhile? Even at very early act two I can't see myself picking this over other options.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

Is the hat of uninhibited kushigo just garbage or is there some context or mechanic that makes it actually worthwhile? Even at very early act two I can't see myself picking this over other options.

-caster variant monk that no one plays might be able to get some use out of it somehow
-eventually forms part of complete kushigo set for aesthetics

feller
Jul 5, 2006

If you don’t wear the hat your kushigo will be inhibited and that’s bad

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

How often should I be short resting and long resting?

Are there any negatives/impacts of testing a lot (other than using camping supplies)?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

How often should I be short resting and long resting?

Are there any negatives/impacts of testing a lot (other than using camping supplies)?

You get way, way more camp supplies you need, especially if you steal everything not bolted down. You can rest frequently and the only downside is that you'll burn through your elixirs faster, which give buffs until you go to sleep.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

EorayMel posted:

You get way, way more camp supplies you need, especially if you steal everything not bolted down. You can rest frequently and the only downside is that you'll burn through your elixirs faster, which give buffs until you go to sleep.

Oh that’s good to know! Thank you!

What is the relationship between “sending items to wares”, the various food items I can pickup but not directly eat, and the broader “camping supplies”?

If I collect enough food stuff does it automatically turn into camping supplies?

This game is so tight

feller
Jul 5, 2006

wares are things you sell to vendors

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

What is the relationship between “sending items to wares”, the various food items I can pickup but not directly eat, and the broader “camping supplies”?

If I collect enough food stuff does it automatically turn into camping supplies?

This game is so tight

You can make stuff as wares to help identify things as vendor trash you wish to sell. Any food/alcohol is automatically treated as camp supplies. IE picking up one bowl of oatmeal = 5 camping supplies, picking up one bottle of lovely rum = 1 camping supplies, etc.

You can also throw wine at things to make a puddle of HIGHLY FLAMMABLE alcohol you can combo with fire spells!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

This game is so tight

"Camping Supplies" is just anything that you can consume as part of a long rest to fully restore your characters. It is basically anything you could use to cook or just eat, including drinks, fish heads, vegetables, etc. You can generally use 'Send to Camp' on all these and they'll end up in your camp chest to select when you rest. Many of them separately have other uses - like burning wine, above, and sausages for some reason have a weapon profile so you can beat people to death with salami.

"Add to Wares" places a little silver icon on the item, and it marks it for quick sale to a merchant. If you are in the Trade tab you can just sell all your wares and it will immediately sell the lot without you having to sort and move them. You can also mark items as wares and separately send them to camp if you are hauling too much and want to collect it later for selling.

You can basically use a short rest after any fight, and use a long rest whenever you are out of short rests. There are only very specific points where a long rest will cause something to trigger in the game and it should be fairly obvious (don't call it a night while an inn is burning to the ground or it will be ashes in the morning). Normally the game gives you a queue that something is time-limited. You can buy supplies from many merchants and if you loot barrels, crates, and baskets you'll end up with plenty of supplies for the game.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Especially early on you pretty much want to short rest after every combat, because you are weak and will probably end fights banged up. Then long rest once you run out of short rests.

If anything you want to long rest more often than seems necessary, because it triggers important plot cutscenes. Which if you delay too long can lock you out of quests and companion storylines. One trick is that after long resting you can go right back to camp, start another rest, but when it asks you what supplies to use just click “partial rest”. This is a very lovely rest that doesn’t do much, but you just long rested so it doesn’t matter. It costs zero supplies, and it still triggers cutscenes. You can do this as many times as you want if you feel like you’re falling behind.

And yeah the game showers you with supplies if you are diligent about clicking boxes and barrels. For reference I just finished a play through with like 3500 supplies left over lmfao. At some point you cross the line from every resource mattering to “I could rest 40 times in a row and not run out of supplies” :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

And if you do hit level 11 and are scraping by for supplies, you can build yourself a Druid or Cleric hireling to cast Feast of Heroes every long rest which replenishes your camp supplies you just used.