Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

*a couple of flustered Irishmen flounder about in a row boat*
"Aww, we're a terrible crew team."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is funny how Girl in Gold Boots just kind of hand waves over Buzz getting into the jail and also how he gets out. Like yeah, pretty sure a guard would notice two people coming in after one got out.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

It is funny how Girl in Gold Boots just kind of hand waves over Buzz getting into the jail and also how he gets out. Like yeah, pretty sure a guard would notice two people coming in after one got out.

"I reproduced asexually while I was out there!"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
yes my plan is perfect. I’ve been spotted by several people and I killed a guy

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

What do you expect? He's just a child.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Grandpa Borgnine, please! Not another subplot!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Grandpa Borgnine, please! Not another subplot!

Who was that movie FOR? Kids who love lukewarm Stephen King/Twilight Zone rip-offs with lots of dead pets?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Then the cat's flesh was roasted!"
"Grandpa, no!"
"Sit down, you're gonna listen!"

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Who was that movie FOR? Kids who love lukewarm Stephen King/Twilight Zone rip-offs with lots of dead pets?

IIRC it was a director with a horror film and an unfinished TV pilot and they just kinda got mushed together. The RiffTrax version doesn't cut as much but you're not missing anything.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I brought my Drake posted:

IIRC it was a director with a horror film and an unfinished TV pilot and they just kinda got mushed together. The RiffTrax version doesn't cut as much but you're not missing anything.

Not quite, if it's the movie I think it is the MST3k version cuts out the mother dying completely.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Track of the moon Beast has one of my favorite descriptions of a movie, "It stars nobody and features nothing."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not quite, if it's the movie I think it is the MST3k version cuts out the mother dying completely.

So the rock 'n roll Martian monkey kills the dog AND the kid's mom?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

SolarFire2 posted:

Track of the moon Beast has one of my favorite descriptions of a movie, "It stars nobody and features nothing."

I've used that line more than a few times to summarize other movies for people.

Another line I think of a lot when a movie is losing me: "...what am I looking at, and why am I looking at it?"

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
This movie stops at nothing, and stays there.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I enjoy 'taste the rainbow of fruit pain.'

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hogama posted:

This movie has everything, all wrong.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I wonder what's gonna happen in the Foreverathon when this current "Every episode in order" thing is done? We'll find out soon enough, because 13x03: Beyond Atlantis is just starting.

Watching it all in order is also kinda hammering home the point of just how let's say "varied" the revival episodes are. I think Jonah and his crew got up to speed pretty quickly and they had a lot of really fun episodes, and I will knife fight a motherfucker to defend Emily and her crew, but honestly a lot of the host segments are meh, some are kinda painful, and the pacing overall feels off. And I'm not talking just about the often too breakneck pace of the riffs, but the host segments too. Some of them just drag on way too long, and at times it feels like Joel & co thought they were the real draw of the episodes. I wouldn't have agreed with "we need longer and more involved host segments" even with Mike and his bots, much less now.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Well I had managed to avoid Munchie up to now and now I hate Munchie. That was quick.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

My favourite revival host segment is the Mac and Me whistling bit. It's so stupid and simple, I love it.

e: wtf is a Munchie, why is this happening

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I wonder what's gonna happen in the Foreverathon when this current "Every episode in order" thing is done? We'll find out soon enough, because 13x03: Beyond Atlantis is just starting.

Watching it all in order is also kinda hammering home the point of just how let's say "varied" the revival episodes are. I think Jonah and his crew got up to speed pretty quickly and they had a lot of really fun episodes, and I will knife fight a motherfucker to defend Emily and her crew, but honestly a lot of the host segments are meh, some are kinda painful, and the pacing overall feels off. And I'm not talking just about the often too breakneck pace of the riffs, but the host segments too. Some of them just drag on way too long, and at times it feels like Joel & co thought they were the real draw of the episodes. I wouldn't have agreed with "we need longer and more involved host segments" even with Mike and his bots, much less now.

I hate to even say it because it feels like such a neckbeard opinion but Felicia Day is not good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

zoux posted:

I hate to even say it because it feels like such a neckbeard opinion but Felicia Day is not good.

It's distracting to have recognizable actors playing Kinga and Max. Especially Patton Oswalt.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Especially when Oswalt is just playing himself basically. I mean, TV's Frank kinda did too but TV's Frank wasn't Every drat TV and Movie Thing You've Ever Seen Has His Voice In It Frank

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

It's distracting to have recognizable actors playing Kinga and Max. Especially Patton Oswalt.

Yeah he's not great in that role either.

So it occurs to me that Torgo is supposed to have satyr legs right?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Watermelon thighs

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I love Patton Oswalt and obviously he and Felecia were sought out for name recognition, but they really should’ve stuck with the original run’s method of just sticking a couple of the writers in the Mads skits.

Elliot Kalan would’ve been a perfectly fine Dr. Forester type.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I think Patton and Felicia are fine but they get saddled pretty heavily with plot stuff, which isn't that interesting. I wish they just made funny little segments, I'm not invested in the lore.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Clouseau posted:

I think Patton and Felicia are fine but they get saddled pretty heavily with plot stuff, which isn't that interesting. I wish they just made funny little segments, I'm not invested in the lore.

Same. I don't need a host segment story arc, and the ones they've done during the revival seasons have been stupid and cringe-y - and not in a charming way.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, when Syfy enforced continuity on the host segments, they fell off in a big way. There are still some good segments in the Syfy years, but none that deal with the "continuity". IMO.

So it's weird that given the freedom to do whatever, and Joel never having been on Syfy except for that one-off guest appearance, that he'd bring back the host segment serialization.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I like Patton and Felicia a lot but I got tired of the plot arcs really fast. Less of that, more movie riffing.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I think the differences between the new MST and the old is in how episodes are written and made from top to bottom. The original show was a bunch of friends who had one job and that was writing this show, and they all got together in a room and did it every week or so for a whole season.

I doing think that’s how it works anymore. It’s much less centralized, with different writers working on different episodes, and most likely doing a lot remotely.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I like Patton and Felicia a lot but I got tired of the plot arcs really fast.

Exactly. I don't understand why the hell Joel & co thought that was why anyone watched MST3K.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Murdstone posted:

I think the differences between the new MST and the old is in how episodes are written and made from top to bottom. The original show was a bunch of friends who had one job and that was writing this show, and they all got together in a room and did it every week or so for a whole season.

I doing think that’s how it works anymore. It’s much less centralized, with different writers working on different episodes, and most likely doing a lot remotely.

The old schedule went along at a pretty good clip. It took them about a week per episode. I'll get some stuff wrong but I think like the first three days were devoted to riffing the movie proper and then refining that, then the last half of the week they would write and then film the host segments. Patrick would then furiously build whatever nonsense they came up with in the shop and then they'd shoot it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dunno why I keep flashing to the high-budget studio set of Wayne's World and slickly produced theme music once they got Noah's Arcade sponsorship

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Data Graham posted:

Dunno why I keep flashing to the high-budget studio set of Wayne's World and slickly produced theme music once they got Noah's Arcade sponsorship

Yeah, that's a pretty good comparison. The original credits were like 20 people with drat near everyone wearing multiple hats. And now they have several minutes of credits just for the insane amounts of people that somehow worked on the show. I'm not saying they need to go back to where it's 12 people who all work 14 hours a day for my puppet show and earn peanuts while doing so, but what I am saying is it'd be hard to argue the show has improved proportionally in comparison to the old days. Or at all.

E:

I think them going from a lean "let's do our show by ourselves" production to something where they literally have a dude for arranging scripts and he probably has an assistant as well is not the entire problem, although it's definitely a part of it. You don't go from a small tight knit group to a big production without losing a part of your soul, but I don't think that's all of it.

This is going to be an extremely hot take, but I think the ultimate difference is that this is now 100% Joel's show. I've never made it a secret that I vastly prefer Mike's seasons to Joel's, but that's not the real issue here. The real issue is that if we go back to the good, old seasons and look at the credits, it's never JUST Joel. It's never even MAINLY Joel. The head writer is always someone else (usually Mike, and he ain't working on MST3K anymore), and he's surrounded by other people in key positions. I'm not trying to say that Joel isn't actually funny, actually, but that he never came across as That Guy, you know? His comedy always seemed to be the slightly weird prop comedy stuff, and that doesn't translate too easily to snappy riffs and writing. And that's fine! Different people are great at different things, and the show definitely wouldn't have been the same without his contributions!

Of course this is just speculation, but the vibe I've gotten from all of the behind the scenes material and the watchalongs they've done is that this is Joel's show now, and the rest of the main crew look up to him super hard, so it's kinda hard to imagine the same kind of peer situation they had at Best Brains, and as a result the show has drifted heavily towards what HE always wanted it to be. More emphasis on the out-of-theater skits etc

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 18, 2024

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Yeah he's not great in that role either.

So it occurs to me that Torgo is supposed to have satyr legs right?

Yeah, I believe that was the intention but like everything else it was poorly executed.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

zoux posted:

Yeah, when Syfy enforced continuity on the host segments, they fell off in a big way. There are still some good segments in the Syfy years, but none that deal with the "continuity". IMO.

So it's weird that given the freedom to do whatever, and Joel never having been on Syfy except for that one-off guest appearance, that he'd bring back the host segment serialization.

I've said it before, but honestly I thought the ongoing storyline stuff gave them something to play off of and once they went away it's not like the host segments dramatically improved.

My half-cocked thoughts on the new season stuff, given I've only seen a small slice of it thusfar:

When it comes to Kinga and Max you've got two perfectly fine performers, but the dynamic just feels...off. Like Dr. F and Frank were bumbling goofballs, but it still felt like they had some menace. And Pearl certainly had some goddamn presence when she wanted to lord over everyone else. Meanwhile Kinga is just constantly impotent and whiny and Max is easily bamboozled and just kinda submissive to Kinga's whims, but there just doesn't seem to be any edge to them at all. You can't have completely useless villains. Along similar lines to what's already been said, it probably doesn't help that the previous Mads were all kinda random ad hoc characters made up by and large by the performers, whereas I don't get the sense Patton nor Felicia have a ton of input into their roles. They just work off what they're given. And, well, we know the writing in the newer seasons is all the gently caress over the place. In short, they lack charm. The Mads also more or less fulfilled a diegetic horror host role, but it feels like they forgot that origin point.

And while it's easy to repeat the ole "it's just a show" mantra, I think the basic premise and overall stakes got really muddled. The whole hook was that Joel (Gizmonic employee or not) and Mike were regular joes being tortured with bad movies for mad science purposes. Season 11 meanwhile...Jonah is some kind of Gizmonic wunderkind/space trucker??? Kinga is doing all of this for the sake of #Content and to sell out to Disney??? Like I get that it might've been ho-hum to go back to basics, but it feels like they way overcorrected and suddenly it feels like some weird rear end Mystery Science Extended Universe. And then as has been said, then suddenly we're back into metaplots and they're juggling three different hosts and what even is the show anymore?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah, that's a pretty good comparison. The original credits were like 20 people with drat near everyone wearing multiple hats. And now they have several minutes of credits just for the insane amounts of people that somehow worked on the show. I'm not saying they need to go back to where it's 12 people who all work 14 hours a day for my puppet show and earn peanuts while doing so, but what I am saying is it'd be hard to argue the show has improved proportionally in comparison to the old days. Or at all.

E:

I think them going from a lean "let's do our show by ourselves" production to something where they literally have a dude for arranging scripts and he probably has an assistant as well is not the entire problem, although it's definitely a part of it. You don't go from a small tight knit group to a big production without losing a part of your soul, but I don't think that's all of it.

This is going to be an extremely hot take, but I think the ultimate difference is that this is now 100% Joel's show. I've never made it a secret that I vastly prefer Mike's seasons to Joel's, but that's not the real issue here. The real issue is that if we go back to the good, old seasons and look at the credits, it's never JUST Joel. It's never even MAINLY Joel. The head writer is always someone else (usually Mike, and he ain't working on MST3K anymore), and he's surrounded by other people in key positions. I'm not trying to say that Joel isn't actually funny, actually, but that he never came across as That Guy, you know? His comedy always seemed to be the slightly weird prop comedy stuff, and that doesn't translate too easily to snappy riffs and writing. And that's fine! Different people are great at different things, and the show definitely wouldn't have been the same without his contributions!

Of course this is just speculation, but the vibe I've gotten from all of the behind the scenes material and the watchalongs they've done is that this is Joel's show now, and the rest of the main crew look up to him super hard, so it's kinda hard to imagine the same kind of peer situation they had at Best Brains, and as a result the show has drifted heavily towards what HE always wanted it to be. More emphasis on the out-of-theater skits etc

John Murdoch posted:

I've said it before, but honestly I thought the ongoing storyline stuff gave them something to play off of and once they went away it's not like the host segments dramatically improved.

My half-cocked thoughts on the new season stuff, given I've only seen a small slice of it thusfar:

When it comes to Kinga and Max you've got two perfectly fine performers, but the dynamic just feels...off. Like Dr. F and Frank were bumbling goofballs, but it still felt like they had some menace. And Pearl certainly had some goddamn presence when she wanted to lord over everyone else. Meanwhile Kinga is just constantly impotent and whiny and Max is easily bamboozled and just kinda submissive to Kinga's whims, but there just doesn't seem to be any edge to them at all. You can't have completely useless villains. Along similar lines to what's already been said, it probably doesn't help that the previous Mads were all kinda random ad hoc characters made up by and large by the performers, whereas I don't get the sense Patton nor Felicia have a ton of input into their roles. They just work off what they're given. And, well, we know the writing in the newer seasons is all the gently caress over the place. In short, they lack charm. The Mads also more or less fulfilled a diegetic horror host role, but it feels like they forgot that origin point.

And while it's easy to repeat the ole "it's just a show" mantra, I think the basic premise and overall stakes got really muddled. The whole hook was that Joel (Gizmonic employee or not) and Mike were regular joes being tortured with bad movies for mad science purposes. Season 11 meanwhile...Jonah is some kind of Gizmonic wunderkind/space trucker??? Kinga is doing all of this for the sake of #Content and to sell out to Disney??? Like I get that it might've been ho-hum to go back to basics, but it feels like they way overcorrected and suddenly it feels like some weird rear end Mystery Science Extended Universe. And then as has been said, then suddenly we're back into metaplots and they're juggling three different hosts and what even is the show anymore?

I just think the plot arcs impinge too much on the movie riffing and other host segment goofiness and I'm resenting any possible connection to you dudes writing all these weird words.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
In hindsight, you can really see how completely abandoning any framing device worked to Rifftrax's benefit in getting riffs out the door.

Other than the subtextual "This poo poo sucks rear end, we're forcing ourselves to watch it, and you by extension will too" I suppose.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Yeah, I believe that was the intention but like everything else it was poorly executed.

Also the shadowrama blocks the most obvious appearances of his legs, I think.

Edit: Soeaking as someone who generally likes the host segments, they’re also really easy to ignore. There’s even an alarm that lets you know when they’re over! That said, I hoped that Joel being in charge again would mean a return to the more laid-back host segments of his seasons but nope. Oh well.

Splint Chesthair fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Hogama posted:

It's the movie that dares you to watch it.