Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Civil war could be good if it was a stealth dredd prequel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
We should all be so lucky as to witness a legion of ABC Warriors taking to the battlefields of WW3.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Revive the 2020 thread just to make that weirdo even angrier

Make it 2025 we just talk about fake movies

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Civil war could be good if it was a stealth dredd prequel

Dredd is so pro cop it’s already a Dredd movie

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Alan Smithee posted:

Make it 2025 we just talk about fake movies

Can you believe they’re making a Frighteners prequel, directed by David Lynch?

Fuckin’ wild stuff.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alan Smithee posted:

Dredd is so pro cop it’s already a Dredd movie

I meant that I want to see it lead into the dredd future

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I want to hear Garland say that every criminal Dredd kills ends a cycle of violence.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Gonz posted:

Can you believe they’re making a Dune sequel, directed by David Lynch?

Fuckin’ wild stuff.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

STAC Goat posted:

My impression about Garland has long been that he’s just really a lot dumber than he thinks he is. His movies introduce ideas but then they seem to fail to say anything interesting or clear about them. They just go the dumb route but there’s an air of arrogance like something very deep was said. And that politics quote certainly supports that idea.

Specifically, Garland takes base genre concepts and then has the characters namedrop Wittgenstein, or say "Hox genes", or quote Beckett unattributed, or "the robot's brain works like this Jackson Pollock painting. Let's put the painting onscreen for 15 seconds".

This kind of referentiality implies that the movie is really 'deep' and 'philosophical' - like you're expected to have done your research. But, then, I actually did do research into all the references in Annihilation. It turns out the science is mostly wrong and all the weird stuff is the product of a magic alien with reality-altering powers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
He's just a pop film director, you're asking a lot of a guy who's made no real pretensions other than to become an A24 name.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

how surprised are we that the science is wrong here

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
That's got to be a joke. Or bait.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Open Source Idiom posted:

He's just a pop film director, you're asking a lot of a guy who's made no real pretensions other than to become an A24 name.

One day he might be almost as big as Vivziepop.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

well why not posted:

how surprised are we that the science is wrong here

I mean just basic stuff like there’s a scene where the character does a blood test on herself to illustrate the effect that quantum alien magic has on people’s cells. This illustration gets cellular biology wrong, and gets the mechanics of the movie’s own magic system wrong. So, like, is the character hallucinating at this point?

That’s not a useful ambiguity, because you’re now introducing this idea that random shots might be dreams - or telling your audience not to think too hard about what they’re shown. (Or both.) And, like, doing this scene required time and money. The cells under the microscope are a digital effect that artists had to work to create.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I mean just basic stuff like there’s a scene where the character does a blood test on herself to illustrate the effect that quantum alien magic has on people’s cells. This illustration gets cellular biology wrong, and gets the mechanics of the movie’s own magic system wrong. So, like, is the character hallucinating at this point?

It later turns out this character is an evil clone so this gently caress-up might be intentional.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It turns out the science is mostly wrong and all the weird stuff is the product of a magic alien with reality-altering powers.

Cheeki breeki

Annihilation would have been way better with some hardbass come to think of it

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

feedmyleg posted:

The reviews I've read seem to confirm that its politics are dumb as rocks. It sounds like it's going after a "after the fighting is over and the smoke clears, does anyone even remember what we were fighting over?"

That's not what it's going for, thevpolitics are just a loose framework. The goal of the movie is to take the war imagery we've become innured to and present it in spaces and with people we associate with home. It's why the audience surrogate is a war journo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That's not what it's going for, thevpolitics are just a loose framework. The goal of the movie is to take the war imagery we've become innured to and present it in spaces and with people we associate with home. It's why the audience surrogate is a war journo.

I hope they get Rodriguez to secure the Burgertown again

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

It turns out the science is mostly wrong and all the weird stuff is the product of a magic alien with reality-altering powers.

And the film still manages to be an insanely dull and ugly slog.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

That’s not a useful ambiguity, because you’re now introducing this idea that random shots might be dreams - or telling your audience not to think too hard about what they’re shown. (Or both.) And, like, doing this scene required time and money. The cells under the microscope are a digital effect that artists had to work to create.

This isn’t fair, every science fiction movie I’ve ever seen that touches on cell bio, genetics or whatever is total gibberish. I mean what are we even talking about here.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i never saw or hear anyone talk about Devs so idk what the shocking society twist is and ron swanson with a halo kinda sums up alex garland for me

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Devs started out pretty interesting and then completely ran out of steam in the back half.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I’m trying to think of a single bio terror sort of scifi movie that I’ve seen where the “science” isn’t totally silly magical nonsense and I can’t. Not even trying to defend Garland here because I don’t care that much but I’m not going to fault him for dropping in technical terms willy nilly because everyone does that.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 18, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Devs started out pretty interesting and then completely ran out of steam in the back half.

It's mostly interesting for its casting IIRC. Zach Grenier as a handler, Ron Swanson in a serious role (though he's more known for doing them now). Even Allison Pill is playing it against her usual grain.

Casting and set design.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's mostly interesting for its casting IIRC. Zach Grenier as a handler, Ron Swanson in a serious role (though he's more known for doing them now). Even Allison Pill is playing it against her usual grain.

Casting and set design.

Yeah, pretty much. Everyone’s turning in good-to-great performances (especially Offerman) but there’s just nothing else going on and the reveals are all mediocre and hollow.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I liked Devs, and although the ending was a bit of a deflation I enjoyed it. The reveal that it's DEUS is the kind of meta harebrained poo poo that I personally love.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Drunkboxer posted:

I’m trying to think of a single bio terror sort of scifi movie that I’ve seen where the “science” isn’t totally silly magical nonsense and I can’t. Not even trying to defend Garland here because I don’t care that much but I’m not going to fault him for dropping in technical terms willy nilly because everyone does that.

Sounds like someone hasn't watched The Andromeda Strain.

Does Contagion count as sci-fi in a post-COVID world?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I liked Devs, and although the ending was a bit of a deflation I enjoyed it. The reveal that it's DEUS is the kind of meta harebrained poo poo that I personally love.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Haven't thought this through yet but a modern civil war film that more or less adapts the actual US civil war with modern-ish tech

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Yes, exactly. I loved this.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
I liked Annihilation well enough, but I thought Devs was better. It's got a few missteps, sure, but it creates a "believable enough" concept of quantum data computing and pulls off a few cool scenes/concepts with it. Acting, set design, and music are all stellar.

But also I am a sucker who enjoyed the aforementioned spoiler text

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BiggestBatman posted:

Haven't thought this through yet but a modern civil war film that more or less adapts the actual US civil war with modern-ish tech
How would that even work? At this point the methods of fighting in the Civil War are closer to ancient battles than modern ones.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

FlamingLiberal posted:

How would that even work? At this point the methods of fighting in the Civil War are closer to ancient battles than modern ones.

Haven't thought it through

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

you can keep the part about people going picnicking at the first battle. And probably every battle

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Sounds like someone hasn't watched The Andromeda Strain.

Does Contagion count as sci-fi in a post-COVID world?

I know it gets praise but no, a movie about an infectious virus that is sensitive to very small changes in blood pH but would thrive in a nuclear explosion is not realistic. Actually I don’t think I ever saw the movie but I read the book, and I mostly only remember the Sterno addict twist so maybe I’m off base here

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
For some reason I hadn't considered until now that Garland did DEVS + EX MACHINA, I am thoroughly owned

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 18, 2024

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

For someone I hadn't considered until now that Garland did DEVS + EX MACHINA, I am thoroughly owned

drat now he just needs a movie called Invisible :tinfoil:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

also he wrote DMC what

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Alan Smithee posted:

also he wrote DMC what

He was a script punch-up guy for Ninja Theory for years. Once upon a time he was very open about that and then deleted the very candid posts he had written about working with them because he was going around talking immeasurable amounts of poo poo about the scriptwriter right before moving into screenplays. The line that's always stuck with me was "Tameem described [a Journey to the West analogue character] kicking a slave hanging on for dear life as a bad rear end act of a man who didn't care, whereas I just thought [character] sounded like a oval office."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1769743316411691249?s=20