Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

We had a not-at-fault accident that the insurer has been kind of a pain in the rear end in handling it. Tl;dr we're a single car household and paid for rental coverage. The insurance is limiting our days of rental because "the repair should have taken this long, and we're past that" and our car is not yet ready. The policy is 30 days, which we haven't hit yet.

The person handling the claim has been rude and unprofessional and we've been with them for 6 years claim free.

How long after an accident can I change carriers?
Does a not-at-fault accident raise your rates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

You can change carriers whenever you want.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Slack Lagoon posted:

We had a not-at-fault accident that the insurer has been kind of a pain in the rear end in handling it. Tl;dr we're a single car household and paid for rental coverage. The insurance is limiting our days of rental because "the repair should have taken this long, and we're past that" and our car is not yet ready. The policy is 30 days, which we haven't hit yet.

The person handling the claim has been rude and unprofessional and we've been with them for 6 years claim free.

As mentioned, whenever you want. The coverage was in place at the time of loss so it’s in force even if you changed carriers after the accident.

They might. You might not qualify for accident free discounts, and not at fault accidents can still be a rating factor.

Did you use an in network repair shop or one you picked? If it’s the former the insurer should pay rental because they’ll tell the repair shop they hosed up and negotiate some money off what they owe. If it’s the latter you’re out of luck.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Did you use an in network repair shop or one you picked? If it’s the former the insurer should pay rental because they’ll tell the repair shop they hosed up and negotiate some money off what they owe. If it’s the latter you’re out of luck.

I tried to ask if there was a shop we should bring it to, and I was told by the adjuster and claim manager "whatever shop you want".so if there was network/in-network shops I have no idea what they are.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

The Slack Lagoon posted:

USAA did this to me when my car was totalled a few years back. Stopped paying for the rental before I hit the policy limit and didn't tell me. Pissed me off.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Tyro posted:

USAA did this to me when my car was totalled a few years back. Stopped paying for the rental before I hit the policy limit and didn't tell me. Pissed me off.

No one reads the policy. The policy limit is for repairs. A total loss would trigger the rental being due back based on what's written once a Total loss offer is made and no stating you don't accept the offer doesn't pause the clock. My company has probably the shortest return period of 3 days and it can shock people because if everything is lined up a total loss can be paid in a day. It sucks because you are thinking you have time to car shop

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

DangerZoneDelux posted:

No one reads the policy. The policy limit is for repairs. A total loss would trigger the rental being due back based on what's written once a Total loss offer is made and no stating you don't accept the offer doesn't pause the clock. My company has probably the shortest return period of 3 days and it can shock people because if everything is lined up a total loss can be paid in a day. It sucks because you are thinking you have time to car shop

Yep, that's exactly what happened! The part that annoyed me was the car rental place were the ones who told me (2 days after USAA had stopped paying). If they hadn't bothered to call I would have been out of pocket for at least a week of car rental if not more. I would have been fine with it had I been notified in a timely manner.

Live and learn.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
TLDR:Would claim under renter insurance affect my home premium in the future?

Actual: We have bought a home and finishing up remodel before moving end of month. Meantime we rent and have tenant insurance. Both policies are under same company. Couple weeks back my kiddo tossed a hot wheels car at our tv and cracked the screen. It was nice OLED and not really in a budget for replacing right now. I asked support chat for renters policy and they said to open a claim “just in case” and that adjuster will advise if the claim is valid.
In the meantime I got to think if this claim will affect my home policy come renewal?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

It might. It might not.

It's hard to say it, each insurance company has different rating algorithms and things that feed into them that it's hard to make a general statement. And they generally don't share this information publicly so you really don't know.

What's the deductible on your renter's insurance policy? Does your renter's policy cover it at replacement cost or at actual cash value? I'm guessing it's not going to be much over your deductible to buy a new TV.... In which case I wouldn't bother filing a claim.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I’m still playing phone tag with adjuster, so not sure how they pay. My deductible in Canadian bucks is 1000, the tv hasn’t changed much in price point at about 2300-2500 for old and equivalent new.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Folks.

I have two older adults in my life. Due to their poor life choices, they have little savings and retirement is upon them. I can foresee in a decade or two, my forties or fifties, to have to spend aboot 10 years providing long term care funds to facilitate home/live in care/rent.

Is life insurance right for me?

I'm getting 10-20 term life plans paying out a 1M for 45-55 a month. I don't see the benefit of saving an extra 250 a year vs providing more for the two of them (they are separated) on death so I'm going to go largest plan.

I don't know what they'd do on their own without me, I have one sibling but I don't think he'll be in a position to help them.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

How do I "optimize" my car insurance policy? I pay $160 a month in car insurance. Yes, it's in Florida, where insurance of any kind is insanely expensive. But I might be getting more coverage than I need, I just don't know enough to really customize my own policy and reduce coverage for what isn't necessary. How would I get started with this?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

How do I "optimize" my car insurance policy? I pay $160 a month in car insurance. Yes, it's in Florida, where insurance of any kind is insanely expensive. But I might be getting more coverage than I need, I just don't know enough to really customize my own policy and reduce coverage for what isn't necessary. How would I get started with this?

The answer is talk to your agent but it’s extraordinarily unlikely you have less coverage than you need at that price unless you’re judgment proof.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Got a question I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to, but I'll ask anyways.

My mother had a life insurance policy on me for the last 35 years. She passed away and nobody thought to change the payor/owner before that happened. Changing the payor/owner seems to require a written letter and a signature.

I'm seeing two different answers when trying to google this. One says the policy is dead and the other says "If the owner and the insured are two different people and the owner dies first, the policy ownership has to pass to a successor owner until the death of the insured results in the proceeds being paid to a beneficiary."

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
That's probably a question for the insurance company. The executor of her estate can look in to that.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

This is an auto insurance question. I feel super dumb asking about this poo poo but I never had an accident or claim before so I am muddling through for the first time. We had a minor collision, no one was hurt and slight damage but enough to make a claim. Our driver was at fault, we have collision and comprehensive coverage and the insurance hasn't made an issue about actually covering it.

The insurance company appraised our damage and gave us the appraisal. I took it to a local mechanic I generally trust who is a registered collision shop, he said they lowballed everything (which makes sense). He also said that he can file a contestation as he does repairs with documentation of the actual time it takes and the cost of parts, and insurance should cover the actual cost without it coming come back to me over my deductible. With the appraisal, my insurance also sent me a list of registered collision repair shops in my county (which includes my guy). Some of these shops they have pre-existing agreements with that are required to honor their quote. It also includes this warning:

quote:

We have denoted Referral Shops on the list who have agreed with us to perform the repair work
listed on our appraisal for the amount we pay you plus that part of the damage for which you are responsible (your
deductible). We will guarantee the quality of repairs done by a Referral Shop although you may go to any repair
shop on this list. We will negotiate with a registered repair shop, but we cannot promise to pay the difference
between our check plus your deductible and the amount the shop charges to repair your auto.

Am I going to get hosed taking it to my local dude? He is a registered collision repair shop and bonded with the state, but not one of their referred shops. This is in MA, for reference.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Take it to one of their guys not your guy, unless you want to end up paying the difference.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Spikes32 posted:

Take it to one of their guys not your guy, unless you want to end up paying the difference.

Nah, this is bad advice.

Insurance company estimates and shop estimates are almost never the same. The shop wants more money because that’s how they pay the bills, insurance wants to pay less because overpaying makes you not competitive in the marketplace. The shop and the damage appraiser will come to an agreed price almost every single time. There’s only a handful of places in any area that this doesn’t apply to, and it’s stuff like shops that cater to ultra high end exotics and charge insane rates. They get enough business and make so much overhead they don’t bother to negotiate.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Nah, this is bad advice.

Insurance company estimates and shop estimates are almost never the same. The shop wants more money because that’s how they pay the bills, insurance wants to pay less because overpaying makes you not competitive in the marketplace. The shop and the damage appraiser will come to an agreed price almost every single time. There’s only a handful of places in any area that this doesn’t apply to, and it’s stuff like shops that cater to ultra high end exotics and charge insane rates. They get enough business and make so much overhead they don’t bother to negotiate.

Yes, I spent a few years of my life handling auto claims and this is exactly correct.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Nah, this is bad advice.

I would be seeking a different shop if the guy told me that bullshit. You don’t have to use a network shop but this poo poo has been happening more often with shops, he should have said cool I will request a supplement if needed for the repairs. I have seen appraisal causes invoked for repairs and it’s always some bullshit the shop is wanting covered, $900 in admin fees, $500 in documentation fees, and the insured driver has no idea what they signed allowing them to invoke the appraisal clause on their behalf.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Thanks for the advice everyone, I appreciate the help and insight.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Most of the time people get burned it's because they're trying to get repairs done at a dealership or with certain luxury makes. At the end of the day if you use a non-partnered shop, if the shop and the insurance company have a disagreement you're the one stuck in the middle holding the bill.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
I need to shop for solid term life insurance for myself and my partner. We're in our early 40's in upstate NY. Current coverage is a pair of garbage universal plans that we'll pull the cash value from once term coverage starts.

What's the best way to go about it? Are there particular online brokers that are trustworthy? Should I find a local broker's office? I've heard NY has particularly strong underwriting regulations so the companies that insure here are more limited - I assume the broker will deal with that though.

Just looking for some advice on how to start the process.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is car insurance one of those things you have to switch around every 4-5 years to reset your monthly cost?

I’ve been with progressive since 2018 and I’m paying $188 a month, or about $2256 a year.

I have to renew my car insurance and realized I don't know whether I'm paying a lot or a little for the following:

• ⁠Bodily Injury & Property Damage Liability
⁠• ⁠$250,000 each person,$500,000 each accident,$100,000 each accident
• ⁠Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist
⁠• ⁠$250,000 each person,$500,000 each accident
• ⁠Medical Payments
⁠• ⁠$5,000 each person
• ⁠Uninsured Motorist Property Damage
⁠• ⁠No Coverage
• ⁠Comprehensive
⁠• ⁠$500 deductible
• ⁠Collision
⁠• ⁠$500 deductible

2016 VW GTI, fully owned, no accidents, one ticket in 2020 but I did traffic school so I don’t think I have to report it?

I went through the quote process with Geico and they quoted me like $90/month for the higher of two coverage choices.

Is there any reason not to switch if I can get a lower rate?

I drive about 6k miles a year, I work from home so no commute. Not driving Uber or any gig stuff. I have my wife on my policy but she also has no accidents no tickets.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

truavatar posted:

I need to shop for solid term life insurance for myself and my partner. We're in our early 40's in upstate NY. Current coverage is a pair of garbage universal plans that we'll pull the cash value from once term coverage starts.

What's the best way to go about it? Are there particular online brokers that are trustworthy? Should I find a local broker's office? I've heard NY has particularly strong underwriting regulations so the companies that insure here are more limited - I assume the broker will deal with that though.

Just looking for some advice on how to start the process.

You need to find the cheapest, simplest policy. A broker is probably the simplest way to do that. Some online-only spots might be cheaper and easier, but I'm not familiar with options in New Jersey.

No good way to get a good broker, it's like hiring a lawyer or realtor. Some bad ones, tons of mediocre ones, some good ones - and luck or a referral are the only ways to get them.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

That’s a poo poo ton of liability coverage. Are you protecting a ton of assets?

Personally I like 100k liability pd since I don’t believe I am causing a multi vehicle incident.

Those are low deductibles for comp and collision. I would also be weighing how much I am going to get on a total loss and see if it’s worth even having collision coverage.

If your state has it, I would definitely want UM PD to protect myself from an uninsured driver hitting me.

The only reason I would stay with a carrier is for loyalty benefits. My current employer and carrier Progressive has accident forgiveness and more importantly a teen driver discount if the policy is old enough which I would need eventually.

loving agents man, had to do a statement with the independent agent who kept saying she messed up with the dates of coverage and how these are nice people so we need to help them out. At the end of the conversation I said you do understand we would be looking at subrogation for an Agent error correct? She was like what what what!??

Reminded me during my last agent errors and omission claim where we needed the signed Um form with a 21 year old policy when the agent said gently caress them they didn’t pay for the coverage so deny it dude. I was like dude it doesn’t work like that in Texas. It’s always these agents buying some book that was sold a few times over and they have no idea of the exposures

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Awkward Davies posted:

Is car insurance one of those things you have to switch around every 4-5 years to reset your monthly cost?

I’ve been with progressive since 2018 and I’m paying $188 a month, or about $2256 a year.

I have to renew my car insurance and realized I don't know whether I'm paying a lot or a little for the following:

• ⁠Bodily Injury & Property Damage Liability
⁠• ⁠$250,000 each person,$500,000 each accident,$100,000 each accident
• ⁠Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist
⁠• ⁠$250,000 each person,$500,000 each accident
• ⁠Medical Payments
⁠• ⁠$5,000 each person
• ⁠Uninsured Motorist Property Damage
⁠• ⁠No Coverage
• ⁠Comprehensive
⁠• ⁠$500 deductible
• ⁠Collision
⁠• ⁠$500 deductible

2016 VW GTI, fully owned, no accidents, one ticket in 2020 but I did traffic school so I don’t think I have to report it?

I went through the quote process with Geico and they quoted me like $90/month for the higher of two coverage choices.

Is there any reason not to switch if I can get a lower rate?

I drive about 6k miles a year, I work from home so no commute. Not driving Uber or any gig stuff. I have my wife on my policy but she also has no accidents no tickets.

I have a 2015 GTI and pay about $1000/yr for essentially the same policy. I'm apparently getting around $750 in discounts for things like having my homeowners insurance with them, paying in full for a year, getting a new plan before my old one expired (lol)

The levels you mentioned are the minimum levels my umbrella policy requires.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Holy poo poo we just got quotes for more or less the same coverage and are going from like ~$5k/year through Allstate to like $2200/year through Safeco. Renters policy is basically the same but it’s wild how different these are.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Personally I like 100k liability pd since I don’t believe I am causing a multi vehicle incident.

Those are low deductibles for comp and collision. I would also be weighing how much I am going to get on a total loss and see if it’s worth even having collision coverage.

If your state has it, I would definitely want UM PD to protect myself from an uninsured driver hitting me.

The only reason I would stay with a carrier is for loyalty benefits. My current employer and carrier Progressive has accident forgiveness and more importantly a teen driver discount if the policy is old enough which I would need eventually.

Assets are a little north of a million at this point so technically if I wanted full coverage I should get more actually.

I think I don’t have UM PD because I have collision anyway? Weirdly, an article I just read said that UM PD is required in California, where I live. So I don’t know how I’m getting away with that.

I’m with progressive at the moment and I don’t seem to have any loyalty benefits. The only discount I have is a “good driver” discount.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

UIM can pay for more than repairing your car ie medical, lost income, etc. My underinsured motorist policy paid out 100k for the crash I was in.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Awkward Davies posted:

Assets are a little north of a million at this point so technically if I wanted full coverage I should get more actually.

I think I don’t have UM PD because I have collision anyway? Weirdly, an article I just read said that UM PD is required in California, where I live. So I don’t know how I’m getting away with that.

I’m with progressive at the moment and I don’t seem to have any loyalty benefits. The only discount I have is a “good driver” discount.

Yeah Cali doesn’t have loyalty benefits with Progressive. I am guessing some state specific regulation that doesn’t allow it

Unless I am dying in an accident I won’t ever seek a possible um bi payout. Just not like no fault pip which is just littered with fraud

Umpd would also allow for a first party diminished value claim but of course that’s not happening on a older vehicle like yours.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Those are probably what most people should have. Often state minimums are comically low. The difference between $100k and $250k might be less than you expect. Your odds of exceeding a certain dollar amount falls off pretty precipitously at a certain point. I dropped from 500/500/500 to whatever state farm requires to attach an umbrella and it saved me like $200/yr across 3 auto policies.

If you have personal assets to protect, get an umbrella.

We pay $2400/yr for 3 cars in socal. 10k miles a year combined. Com/col/uninsured/liability at like 250/500/150 or whatever. $500 deductibles. No tickets, but we have homeowners and an umbrella on it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Umpd would also allow for a first party diminished value claim but of course that’s not happening on an older vehicle like yours.

Here’s your check for $150 to go away, I say good day to you sir

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Here’s your check for $150 to go away, I say good day to you sir

Yeah that would be great if certain carriers aren’t sending checks for 5k for DOV. I have hilarious demands from people every week, 7k demands when repairs totaled $1200.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I once told someone I’d give them $250, take it or leave it. They didn’t want it so they got nada

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Safeco sent the usual "do you still have a roof" and "do you have an alarm system" form. I can't pull the old permit from the replacement in 95 (whew not 30 years) because the city portal is just always down. I called and asked my independent agent what else they might accept per the instructions but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with that? I sent him some stuff and he's going to ask underwriting.

Second thing - he mentioned that solar panels are specifically excluded from wind and hail without a specific expensive endorsement. Is this common? Is fire also excluded? I'm going to ask for more information but don't really know how to judge the answers.

I am literally with "the agent who had a fire policy available when I bought my house" due to the current cluster gently caress that is California. This is a trust but verify situation, and also a what do carriers actually do here.

And do insurance companies have liability premium discounts for pool fences? Or is it just if my yard is enclosed in general?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm not sure if $100k property liability is enough anymore for normal people, a parking lot door ding costs $53k these days: https://jalopnik.com/fisker-ocean-totaled-over-910-door-ding-after-insurer-1851451187

quote:

The damage adjuster initially estimated that it would cost $910 to fix, but he also admitted that, in reality, it would be much higher as he was unfamiliar with the vehicle. He had no idea how right he would end up being.

Those two damaged components proved insurmountable due to a lack of available parts, according to Wanner. She also notes that Fisker itself hasn’t been really helpful during this process. Still haven’t even received a title from Fisker. Getting any answers or help from them is impossible,” she says.

Just over 30 days after the accident, the insurance company cut her a check for $53,303. Nevertheless, that payout has far from made Wanner whole.

If you hit a Rivian on the back corner, it is similarly done and those can be over $100k, so you might go over a $100k policy with a low-speed parking lot scrape.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Well then, looks like this person is worth hanging on to. This is their response back from talking to underwriting:

agent posted:

Panel Upgrade: Very soon, Safeco will no longer accept aluminum wiring. There is no discount for going full-copper, but it allows your policy to renew freely.
HVAC Upgrade: No change here as your home was already rated for a standard heat pump.
Asbestos Abatement: "Appreciated, but no discount."
Water Line Upgrade: "Appreciated, but no discount."
Guardian Pool Fence: "Appreciated, but no discount." In due time, pool fences will be required for a policy. So we're being proactive here!
Solar Panels: <snipping out a paragraph about dwelling coverage calculation> That is a $295 increase in premium per year, but only a prorated amount of $85.55 would be owed for the remainder of this term since the policy renews in August. The panels would then be covered for all perils that your home is insured for, including wind/hail/fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm not sure if $100k property liability is enough anymore for normal people, a parking lot door ding costs $53k these days: https://jalopnik.com/fisker-ocean-totaled-over-910-door-ding-after-insurer-1851451187

If you hit a Rivian on the back corner, it is similarly done and those can be over $100k, so you might go over a $100k policy with a low-speed parking lot scrape.

I guess but the companies are going to settle with a signed release on whatever we can get from the other carrier